PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Badlands Bowl

4mcruenomore
06-11-2011, 05:18 AM
I didn't see a thread on this, thought I would start it off. Carson Wentz looking to QB the ND team. June 18th in Miles

ISXBISON
06-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I saw an ad that it will be carried on Cableone channel 14

BadlandsBison
06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
When is it?

EndZoneQB
06-11-2011, 05:20 PM
June 18th in Miles

When is it?

That's a great question actually...

Burke42
06-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Practice starts tomorrow in Dickinson. The game is at 6:00 p.m. next Saturday, June 18, in Miles City, MT. I believe there are 4 NDSU incoming freshmen playing in the game: Carson Wentz, Andrew Okland, Leighton Talmadge, and Dylan Dunn. At one time, I read that Nate Moody planned to play for the Bison but I have not seen anything "official" on that.

BadlandsBison
06-11-2011, 09:15 PM
That's a great question actually...

I only comprehend bolded or capslock lettering.

BisonNeil
06-18-2011, 02:43 PM
An interesting article in the Forum today about the Badlands Bowl and two NDSU recruits.

Wentz is referred to as "the real deal". Nice to hear.

However, I did not realize that he is a one year starter at Bismarck. I also did not know he had two concussions. One of the reasons I was sorry to see Mohler go is that I am very skeptical about Jensen's health since he had two concussions last year. The Bison may very well have two QBs on the roster who are concussion prone.

I also did not know that the Bison WR recruit out of Fargo South, Andrew Okland, had only played 6 games of football in his life. He must have a lot of raw talent to get a scholarship at NDSU.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/323933/group/Sports/

Burke42
06-18-2011, 04:30 PM
According to the Badlands Bowl website, the game will be televised on various channels in North Dakota. The website has a link to "BEK" which is the group that is televising the game.

MN_BISON
06-18-2011, 04:32 PM
According to the Badlands Bowl website, the game will be televised on various channels in North Dakota. The website has a link to "BEK" which is the group that is televising the game.

Does it say anything about streaming the game?

HerdBot
06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
An interesting article in the Forum today about the Badlands Bowl and two NDSU recruits.

However, I did not realize that he is a one year starter at Bismarck. I also did not know he had two concussions. One of the reasons I was sorry to see Mohler go is that I am very skeptical about Jensen's health since he had two concussions last year. The Bison may very well have two QBs on the roster who are concussion prone.

I also did not know that the Bison WR recruit out of Fargo South, Andrew Okland, had only played 6 games of football in his life. He must have a lot of raw talent to get a scholarship at NDSU.

Oklund has a ton of upside. Great jumper, body control, hands, coordination, and decent speed. Makes circus catches. Good basketball player too. Very raw having only played 6 games but he was a man amongst boys. Impressed at the summer camp too. Makes you wonder how good he can be with good conditioning and training. Will redshift for sure. Kind of reminds me of Sydney Rice. Will need to work harder to make up for lack of experience.

Da_Bison
06-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Link to audio:
Oakland and Wentz tearin it up, TD N.Dak 7 Mont. 0 , Wentz to Oakland http://kdix.com/

westnodak93bison
06-19-2011, 12:17 AM
So who won and how about some stats.

Da_Bison
06-19-2011, 12:18 AM
on right now, http://kdix.com/ N.Dak inside the 5 ready to score again

ndsubison1
06-19-2011, 12:38 AM
10-7 ND leading end of 1st

MN_BISON
06-19-2011, 12:46 AM
14-10 Montana.

cats2506
06-19-2011, 12:57 AM
17-10

Joel Horn OL Kalispell Glacier 6-5 260 (msu)
Kyle Godecke OL Dillon 6-5 275 (msu)
Jake Olson WR Great Falls 6-2 205 (msu)
Nate Bignell DL Drummond 6-2 235 (msu)
Heath Hunter DL Bozeman 6-2 210 (msu)
Matt Patterson DB Fairfield 5-10 175 (msu)
Justin Pierson RB Bozeman 6-0 195 (msu)
Trey Spirlin LB Helena Capital 6-3 220 (msu)

MN_BISON
17-10 Montana. Wentz sat out last two times on offense and ND just stalled. He's back in at QB.

ndsubison1
wentz back in the game at QB

cats2506
06-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Matt Berg QB Butte 5-9 185 (fizz)
Chase Ballantyne WR Shelby 6-1 180 (fizz)
John Schmaing OL Billings Senior 6-6 250 (fizz)
Jesse Ginn DL Missoula Hellgate 6-5 285 (fizz)
Gavin Hagfors LB Great Falls CMR 6-1 210 (fizz)
Jonathan Richards LB Butte Central 6-3 205 (fizz)
Connor Lebsock DB Billings Skyview 6-2 195 (fizz)
Zach Gratton DB Billings Senior 6-0 185 (fizz)
Dunk Abbott WR Butte 6-1 165 (fizz)

MN_BISON
06-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Matt Berg QB Butte 5-9 185 (fizz)
Chase Ballantyne WR Shelby 6-1 180 (fizz)
John Schmaing OL Billings Senior 6-6 250 (fizz)
Jesse Ginn DL Missoula Hellgate 6-5 285 (fizz)
Gavin Hagfors LB Great Falls CMR 6-1 210 (fizz)
Jonathan Richards LB Butte Central 6-3 205 (fizz)
Connor Lebsock DB Billings Skyview 6-2 195 (fizz)
Zach Gratton DB Billings Senior 6-0 185 (fizz)
Dunk Abbott WR Butte 6-1 165 (fizz)

Thanks for the info Cats, seems to be quite a bit of difference in the talent level of the two teams based on where the players are going to college, can't be more than a handful of ND players going FCS. You wouldn't know if there's someone streaming this game in Montana?

cats2506
06-19-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm listening on the same radio feed you have links too.

http://kdix.com/listen

here is where some of the other MT players are going
Ryan Armstrong C Miles City 6-3 265 (Carroll College)
Mike Huth OL Townsend 6-3 250 (Carroll College)
Travis Knoll RB Bigfork 6-0 175 (Carroll College)
Sean Blomquist LB Helena 5-11 205 (Carroll College)

Cole Moller QB Billings Central 6-1 195 (Montana Tech)
Max Tolstadt LB Billings Central 6-0 200 (Montana Tech)
David Meis DL Helena 6-4 205 (Montana Tech)
Nate Thompson DB Columbia Falls 5-11 195 (Montana Tech)

Chris Kurkowski WR Miles City 6-4 225 (Dickinson State)
Kyle Stanton TE Miles City 6-3 220 (Dickinson State)

Tyler Molyneaux RB Chinook 6-1 195 (Minot State)

Marc Evans DL Bozeman 6-1 240 (msu-Northern)

Bryan Chery DB Kalispell Glacier 5-9 160 (Mont-Western)

David Swecker OL Laurel 6-2 225 (msu-Billings/Baseball)

John Werner OL Billings Central 6-3 225 (Notre Dame/ not playing football)

Also Shane Cooley I bet will be wrestling somewhere

ndsubison1
06-19-2011, 01:19 AM
getting chippy out there

4mcruenomore
06-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Not alot of D1 talent on team ND, we will see how the 2nd half goes.

cats2506
06-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Not alot of D1 talent on team ND, we will see how the 2nd half goes.

Some of those for both MSU and um are walkons.

So what's the deal, is there no talent in ND or do they just not play in this game.

I know that some MT kids dont play this one but play in the East/West Shrine game next month, some will play in both and some played in the class C all star game a week ago and still make it to one of these games.

MN_BISON
06-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Some of those for both MSU and um are walkons.

So what's the deal, is there no talent in ND or do they just not play in this game.

I know that some MT kids dont play this one but play in the East/West Shrine game next month, some will play in both and some played in the class C all star game a week ago and still make it to one of these games.

Well you didn't say that they were walkons on your list Cats.:facepalm2: From what I can see NDSU has two scholarship players in Oakland and Wentz and two walkons in Talmadge and Dunn, not sure about UND. I'm not sure if some kids sit out this game for the Shrine game. Not making excuses, ND has some good high school football players but it's also a numbers game and when you listed the Griz and Cat recruites things looked a little one sided.

MN_BISON
06-19-2011, 01:42 AM
UND has one player on the Badlands roster, Jace Hellman. Not sure if they have in ND walkons, would be somewhat surprised if they didn't though.

ndsubison1
06-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Well you didn't say that they were walkons on your list Cats.:facepalm2: From what I can see NDSU has two scholarship players in Oakland and Wentz and two walkons in Talmadge and Dunn, not sure about UND. I'm not sure if some kids sit out this game for the Shrine game. Not making excuses, ND has some good high school football players but it's also a numbers game and when you listed the Griz and Cat recruites things looked a little one sided.

Also Nate Moody from Dickinson is a walkon for us. I believe most of the players choose to play in this on the ND side. IMO talent across the state is considerably down compared to past years. Most years Montana has more talent overall

semobison
06-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Montana leads the overall series 12-5, and at one time had a 8 game winning streak. North Dakota has won 3 of the last 6 games which is more respectable! I am impressed with Wentz, nice size, good feet, and strong arm!

Ferd
06-19-2011, 02:37 AM
Montana leads the overall series 12-5, and at one time had a 8 game winning streak. North Dakota has won 3 of the last 6 games which is more respectable! I am impressed with Wentz, nice size, good feet, and strong arm!

Not to mention Oakland...

ndsubison1
06-19-2011, 02:39 AM
where is the shanley kicker jordan going? he just had a 41 yarder

Bison bison
06-19-2011, 03:43 AM
nebraska. just for school as far as i know.

he's pretty consistent at 40 and less.

4mcruenomore
06-19-2011, 04:19 AM
final score??

CaBisonFan
06-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Montana has more medium-sized cities with strong high school programs. They take their football very seriously.

ndsubison1
06-19-2011, 05:11 AM
final score??

i think it was 34-13

ALPHAGRIZ1
06-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Who won the game?

IronRanger
06-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Who won the game?

MT did (10 char)

Burke42
06-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Montana was very big up front and dominated the line of scrimmage, especially after the first quarter. ND could not run the ball and the quarterbacks were harrassed virtually all game. They had very little time to set up and look downfield. The kids played very hard and should be proud of themselves.

Dan Jordan will try out as a kicker for Nebraska.

DORMIE
06-20-2011, 01:59 AM
Dan Jordan the kicker from Shanley told me that he was going to walk on at Nebraska. The Gavin Hagfors from Great Falls must be the son of former Hall of Fame lineman, Greg Hagfors. Greg was the center for Jeff Bentrim.

JustinTyem
06-20-2011, 03:29 AM

When did Brock have 2 concussions last year,I know that in the Montana game he slipped on the sideline and took a shot and fell and it his head on the ground(frozen field),and yet he didnt really have a concussion but a few felt funny for a minute,so they see wanted to play safe. BROCK'S HEALTH IS STRONG!!!! If he drops in the chart its because he got beat. Take his health out of the questions already!!!

CaBisonFan
06-20-2011, 06:11 AM
If you took North Dakota and added the northern half of Minnesota (our natural recruiting region), the population would be more comparable with Montana.

sambini
06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Dan Jordan the kicker from Shanley told me that he was going to walk on at Nebraska. The Gavin Hagfors from Great Falls must be the son of former Hall of Fame lineman, Greg Hagfors. Greg was the center for Jeff Bentrim.

You are right

HerdBot
06-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Looks like the Bison players did well
Okland - 7 catches, 166 yards
Went z- 15/23,1 td (nd mvp)

The problem seemed to stem from the nd defense. The south qb had the advantage of running their same offense and was only 8-18

ndsubison1
06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
montanas line gave fits to us all day esp from 2nd quarter on. their dline was in our back field and our qbs were scrambling almost every play

Superfan
06-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Was I the only one who got to watch the game on Fox in Bismarck? Only caught the second half. ND had the chance to score again late in the 3rd quarter. Wentz took them down the field but they ran a double reverse pass that Montana picked off in the endzone. I was very impressed with Zach. ND was running South's offense and he ran it better than the south QB. Unfortunately the last 2 possessions were given to the south QB and he couldn't make anything happen.

DjKyRo
06-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Was I the only one who got to watch the game on Fox in Bismarck? Only caught the second half. ND had the chance to score again late in the 3rd quarter. Wentz took them down the field but they ran a double reverse pass that Montana picked off in the endzone. I was very impressed with Zach. ND was running South's offense and he ran it better than the south QB. Unfortunately the last 2 possessions were given to the south QB and he couldn't make anything happen.

Carson. Zach is already at NDSU. :)

ndsubison1
06-20-2011, 10:02 PM

i was able to watch it in bismarck on fox as well

Superfan
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Carson. Zach is already at NDSU. :)

Doh! I guess we're even now. Thank you.

HerdBot
06-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Okland 25 yards per catch and a TD. 166 yards. Kid dominant no matter who he plays for. I think we have found is a stud

HandoEX
06-21-2011, 01:46 AM
Ah, he'll of a line for Okland. The one time I've seen him play live, he was amazing. I think he has all the tools to be very dangerous.

BisonNeil
06-21-2011, 02:04 AM
When did Brock have 2 concussions last year,I know that in the Montana game he slipped on the sideline and took a shot and fell and it his head on the ground(frozen field),and yet he didnt really have a concussion but a few felt funny for a minute,so they see wanted to play safe. BROCK'S HEALTH IS STRONG!!!! If he drops in the chart its because he got beat. Take his health out of the questions already!!!

I think he had a concussion in the Missouri game, but I may be mistaken on that. I seem to remember that there was a question whether or not he would be able to go against Robert Morris. Regardless, he also broke his collar bone and he had a concussion in the MSU game, which is the official line given by Bohl in his show the following Sunday after the game.

Jensen started 7 games, Mohler started the first 4. Jensen played in a total of 9 games, Mohler played in 12 of 14 because Jensen got dinged in a few others so Mohler had to come in. Bottom line, Jensen showed some fragility last year and until he can prove to me that he is a durable QB I will continue to think we would have been better off with Mohler as our third string as a fall back position rather than Perez or a TFr.

bluebison35
06-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Okland 25 yards per catch and a TD. 166 yards. Kid dominant no matter who he plays for. I think we have found is a stud

I was at the game...Wentz looks really good, a little skinny, but I am sure he will put some weight on during his freshmen year. IMO he should readshirt just to get the extra muscle and weight on.

Oakland is really good at the jump balls, had a couple nice deep catches where he went up and got it...also had the awareness on a couple of under thrown ones to knock it down so the DB couldn't get a INT. Dont always see that in a HS player.

One thing that bothered me, along with other guys I was with, during the game is that when Oakland was on the sidelines when the offense was off the field, he was usually 30 yards away from the rest of the team, by himself, not really being a good teammate. I am sure he is/was a good teammate during the week, but it would of been nice to see him cheering on his defense to try and get the ball back with everyone ele. Dont know the kid personally so I dont want to jump to anything but just something I saw that made me go, hmm??

Oakland did do something that I thought was nice to see, a chain gang guy came and congradulated him during a TO and he stood and talked to the chain guy for awhile giving him his total attention. Seems like a nice young man.

EndZoneQB
06-21-2011, 05:08 AM
I was at the game...Wentz looks really good, a little skinny, but I am sure he will put some weight on during his freshmen year. IMO he should readshirt just to get the extra muscle and weight on.

Oakland is really good at the jump balls, had a couple nice deep catches where he went up and got it...also had the awareness on a couple of under thrown ones to knock it down so the DB couldn't get a INT. Dont always see that in a HS player.

One thing that bothered me, along with other guys I was with, during the game is that when Oakland was on the sidelines when the offense was off the field, he was usually 30 yards away from the rest of the team, by himself, not really being a good teammate. I am sure he is/was a good teammate during the week, but it would of been nice to see him cheering on his defense to try and get the ball back with everyone ele. Dont know the kid personally so I dont want to jump to anything but just something I saw that made me go, hmm??

Oakland did do something that I thought was nice to see, a chain gang guy came and congradulated him during a TO and he stood and talked to the chain guy for awhile giving him his total attention. Seems like a nice young man.

If he only played 6 games in HS, he will learn the team stuff as he learns the game I would think. I wouldn't look into it too much at a game of this nature.

Twentysix
06-21-2011, 05:51 AM
That doesnt seem like a great anti teammate arguement. They were a team for what 6 days? Who cares if they didn't bond in that time. If he is doing this stuff after months of practice/games at NDSU then he probably has a problem.

344Johnson
06-21-2011, 06:00 AM
I think he had a concussion in the Missouri game, but I may be mistaken on that. I seem to remember that there was a question whether or not he would be able to go against Robert Morris. Regardless, he also broke his collar bone and he had a concussion in the MSU game, which is the official line given by Bohl in his show the following Sunday after the game.

Jensen started 7 games, Mohler started the first 4. Jensen played in a total of 9 games, Mohler played in 12 of 14 because Jensen got dinged in a few others so Mohler had to come in. Bottom line, Jensen showed some fragility last year and until he can prove to me that he is a durable QB I will continue to think we would have been better off with Mohler as our third string as a fall back position rather than Perez or a TFr.

While injuries SEEM to follow certain players, I find that to be bullshit. It is a matter of getting hit wrong at different times. If Jose took the same hit Jensen took in the Montana St. game, he probably would have been hurt too. Its not worth reading into that much. Mohler also is dogshit, sadly, I might be more confident in a Wentz or Stanford taking over an offense than Mohler, cause I have seen Mohler, and know that other than a damn good handoff, he doesn't offer anything. Can't get much worse than his throwing this season, he made me wish Mertens was still a Bison at times.

Twentysix
06-21-2011, 06:16 AM
While injuries SEEM to follow certain players, I find that to be bullshit. It is a matter of getting hit wrong at different times. If Jose took the same hit Jensen took in the Montana St. game, he probably would have been hurt too. Its not worth reading into that much. Mohler also is dogshit, sadly, I might be more confident in a Wentz or Stanford taking over an offense than Mohler, cause I have seen Mohler, and know that other than a damn good handoff, he doesn't offer anything. Can't get much worse than his throwing this season, he made me wish Mertens was still a Bison at times.

Thats pretty harsh.

DjKyRo
06-21-2011, 06:23 AM

Wow. "Dogshit." Great way to summarize a guy who gave three years to the program and worked his ass off.

ndsubison1
06-21-2011, 07:04 AM
jensen's durability has to be a concern. and neil is right, having mohler as an option off the bench would have been meritorious

IzzyFlexion
06-21-2011, 09:41 AM

There are at least a hundred different ways that you could have given your opinion of Jose other than the way you did.

344Johnson
06-21-2011, 07:11 PM
There are at least a hundred different ways that you could have given your opinion of Jose other than the way you did.

I was crabby, but stand by what I said. Yes the dude worked his ass off for the team and seemed to be very positive even when he was benched, however, lack of improvement and inability to run what is a very basic offense gives me no reason to have any more confidence in him than say...Wentz.

Say all you want about him being a freshman this fall and redshirting(I certainly hope he doesn't set foot on the field), but we all at least know he has the size (Jose unfortunately didn't), the arm (Jose had a decent arm I'd say), and athleticism(Jose also had this). Wentz also has all the upside in the world, I hope he lives up to his billing.

*DISCLAIMER: 344Johnson reserves the right to tear any player, coach, fan, or BV poster apart, 344Johnson also is aware of BV posters' right to tear him apart in return, so goes message board discussions.

BlueBisonRock
06-21-2011, 07:31 PM
I was crabby, but stand by what I said. Yes the dude worked his ass off for the team and seemed to be very positive even when he was benched, however, lack of improvement and inability to run what is a very basic offense gives me no reason to have any more confidence in him than say...Wentz.

Say all you want about him being a freshman this fall and redshirting(I certainly hope he doesn't set foot on the field), but we all at least know he has the size (Jose unfortunately didn't), the arm (Jose had a decent arm I'd say), and athleticism(Jose also had this). Wentz also has all the upside in the world, I hope he lives up to his billing.

*DISCLAIMER: 344Johnson reserves the right to tear any player, coach, fan, or BV poster apart, 344Johnson also is aware of BV posters' right to tear him apart in return, so goes message board discussions.

Consider yourself torn apart without getting into the collateral damage usually done to the board. You have distinguished yourself by joining a small group of vocal posters who have demonstrated a lack of judgement, maturity, and civility. You can choose to be proud of this dubious achievement, or look in the mirror and make the needed adjustments to your behavior.

After all, if you have paid attention you will have discovered Bisonville is NOT just another internet bulletin board. If that is all you require, I suggest that you take your thoughts to the board covering the school to the north. There you can tear down players, posters, friends, administrators, and your mothers cooking to your hearts content.

56BISON73
06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Consider yourself torn apart without getting into the collateral damage usually done to the board. You have distinguished yourself by joining a small group of vocal posters who have demonstrated a lack of judgement, maturity, and civility. You can choose to be proud of this dubious achievement, or look in the mirror and make the needed adjustments to your behavior.

After all, if you have paid attention you will have discovered Bisonville is NOT just another internet bulletin board. If that is all you require, I suggest that you take your thoughts to the board covering the school to the north. There you can tear down players, posters, friends, administrators, and your mothers cooking to your hearts content.

Well said!!!!!