PDA

View Full Version : Great Players

Bison06
06-09-2011, 11:01 PM
I have heard a lot of chatter over the past few years with the move to DI, about players from the past who were considered great that wouldn't be up to snuff at the DI level.

I disagree with most of that, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion to hear about players who in their era were considered greats, but who you all think due to style of play or any other factor, wouldn't be able to be a contributor on the squads of today.

I'll start. I may be way off base here so please correct me if that is the case because I was young when he played, but Joe Toth is my first one. Great player, but wouldn't be a great fit for the Bison Defenses of today.

CaBisonFan
06-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Honestly...I can't think of any 'greats' who couldn't play and contribute in this era. The level of play was high enough to compete very well in the FCS. If I had access to the old rosters I could probably find several mid-level contributors who wouldn't be able to play...but...that's not the discussion.

I suppose that it could be said that some of the greats wouldn't be as effective in the schemes that we use now. That's fair enough. For example...would Chris Simdorn have been a quarterback in our offense? He was a DI level athlete...but would he have been there? Good question.

It's a good topic that should stir some discussion.

tony
06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
I have heard a lot of chatter over the past few years with the move to DI, about players from the past who were considered great that wouldn't be up to snuff at the DI level.

I really don't remember much of that kind of talk... unless it was Lakesbison and I tuned it out.

The All-Americans back then were going to NFL camps back too (and playing on Super Bowl teams) so the talent level was certainly high enough. Of course, NDSU's offense has changed completely from the 1980's option attack so different offense might require different QB/OL skills. And our defensive scheme has changed too - don't think some of NDSU's small NGs of the past would work in today's scheme (they'd probably be excellent DEs though.)

Short answer: NDSU's great D2 players would have been great DI players.

NorthernBison
06-09-2011, 11:38 PM
You guys go ahead and discuss it. I don't think it is a good topic because it requires "dissing" Bison who contributed. It requires a negative approach.

You certainly have a right to discuss it and I'll choose not to read it.

HerdBot
06-10-2011, 12:03 AM

I disagree with most of that, but I thought it would be an interesting discussion to hear about players who in their era were considered greats, but who you all think due to style of play or any other factor, wouldn't be able to be a contributor on the squads of today.

I'll start. I may be way off base here so please correct me if that is the case because I was young when he played, but Joe Toth is my first one. Great player, but wouldn't be a great fit for the Bison Defenses of today.

Good discussion. I think our D2 Championship caliber players produced more NFL stars. Phil Hanson was a pro bowl quality player who competed as late as 2000, going up against players like Randy Moss and was battling Korey Stringer. Same with Braxton who was playing in 1999. The late 90s NFL teams are just as good or better than todays NFL teams.

Our modern NFL guys have been good but not Pro Bowl caliber.

Edit if they were good enough to be nfl stars they arr good enough in the midern game. in all fairness we have a longer D2 history. Ask me in 10 years.

Bison06
06-10-2011, 12:10 AM
You guys go ahead and discuss it. I don't think it is a good topic because it requires "dissing" Bison who contributed. It requires a negative approach.

You certainly have a right to discuss it and I'll choose not to read it.

It doesn't need to be a "dissing" session. Just an honest discussion on the level of talent now vs. in the past. If anything we are going to be honoring players from the past if we say they would still be greats today. I am just wondering how the greats from the past compare to today's greats. I never saw most of the all-time greats play and want to know if they would match up well with the guys from today.

CaBisonFan
06-10-2011, 12:28 AM
IMO...in general...the starting lineups of the championship-caliber teams were extremely talented. They would have been a contender for the NC in DI-AA consistently. The really 'great' Bison teams had 'zero' holes or weaknesses in the lineup. They were a DI football team that would have done just fine in most of the major conferences.

56BISON73
06-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Gabe and CA are correct. The Bison have been putting players in the NFL long before D1 rolled around. Not to mention the great teams that beat all comers from Grambling on etc. Teams and players like that could compete at a higher level if given the chance.

Plus if the players from way back had had a conditioning coach and a real weight room I cant imagine the monsters that NDSU would have produced. I think it would have been down right scary.

mnriverbison
06-10-2011, 02:43 AM
I think it is a worth considering all factors when deciding who the greatest Bison were. But a factor I never hear discussed is the # of D1 teams now vs then. Just guessing, I'd say that there were far fewer D1 teams a few decades ago. In other words, yesterday's D2 players could equate even vs their peers as today's D1 players. Again, I'm guessing about the number of D1 teams now vs then, but if people want to make a fair comparison this figure cannot be ignored.

HandoEX
06-10-2011, 02:45 AM
Two obvious old timers come to mind...Pat Long and Charlie Stock.

HerdBot
06-10-2011, 02:59 AM
I think it is a worth considering all factors when deciding who the greatest Bison were. But a factor I never hear discussed is the # of D1 teams now vs then. Just guessing, I'd say that there were far fewer D1 teams a few decades ago. In other words, yesterday's D2 players could equate even vs their peers as today's D1 players. Again, I'm guessing about the number of D1 teams now vs then, but if people want to make a fair comparison this figure cannot be ignored.

Back when we were on top there wasnt much of a disparity in scholarships. D2 teams had something like 50 scholarships, 1aa had close to what they have now, but the big dogs had over 100 with many of them never playing.

Now D2 is a joke and FBS is much closer to FCS. The FCS teams now are better.

Not sure how many teams but D2 was legit then.

56BISON73
06-10-2011, 03:01 AM

Back in the ealy 70s the only thing we had in a very small weight room was a Universal weight machine and some hand held weights. We did it on our own with no direction what so ever. But we were in shape. We didnt need a breather after 3-4 plays.

CaBisonFan
06-10-2011, 03:34 AM

This is a very good point. In the FM region I didn't know of a DI-AA team. I was aware of the two Montana schools and UNI...but not much else. We were getting DI-AA caliber recruits consistently from the region...and usually we'd have a few guys that could have played anywhere. One of the more obvious ones that comes to mind is Tony Satter. There were many. Playing for the Bison was very special. We have more competition for recruits now...but it still is. A national championship would really enhance the recruits' attitudes.

PS - Just my opinion. I think that Joe Toth is one of the best athletes that we've ever had. Amazing strength. The kind of hitter that running backs simply hated.

HerdBot
06-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Gabe and CA are correct. The Bison have been putting players in the NFL long before D1 rolled around. Not to mention the great teams that beat all comers from Grambling on etc. Teams and players like that could compete at a higher level if given the chance.

Plus if the players from way back had had a conditioning coach and a real weight room I cant imagine the monsters that NDSU would have produced. I think it would have been down right scary.

Holy s#&t batman! Did someone hack your account PL? Agreeing with BOTH CA and I at the same time! That has got to be a definite first! Before you know it well be singin kumbaya and roasting dog a$#hole sausage in front of a fire!

56BISON73
06-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Holy s#&t batman! Did someone hack your account PL? Agreeing with BOTH CA and I at the same time! That has got to be a definite first! Before you know it well be singin kumbaya and roasting dog a$#hole sausage in front of a fire!

I know its not a pretty sight but I always try to give credit where credit is due.:bow:

HerdBot
06-10-2011, 04:03 AM
I know its not a pretty sight but I always try to give credit where credit is due.:bow:

So did you guys train like Rocky, in Rocky 4 in Siberia pulling dogsleds?

344Johnson
06-10-2011, 04:14 AM
I am only 19 years old. So in all honesty, I'm wasting my time and looking like an ass because a lot of you guys were there at Dacotah Field watching the old greats, Robinson,Braxton, Benny, Dick, Simdorn etc. while I grew up watching Gordon, Dahl, Mays, Paschall, Walker Love watching old Bison tape from the 80's my dad recorded, I feel if the '86 team played our '07 team, it'd be a damn good game.

My dad is of the opinion that the teams back then were too good at getting 3-4 yards a play that even if the current teams had more talent, they simply couldn't stop Bentrim from perfectly executing the option.

I think he would be fully capable of running any teams veer. I think he'd be great air force, navy, georgia tech, you name the level of competition and he could have done it.

Here will be an interesting debate.... Simdorn vs. Bentrim???? From what I hear, Simmy was a better athlete....benny a better playmaker?

HerdBot
06-10-2011, 04:31 AM
I am only 19 years old. So in all honesty, I'm wasting my time and looking like an ass because a lot of you guys were there at Dacotah Field watching the old greats, Robinson,Braxton, Benny, Dick, Simdorn etc. while I grew up watching Gordon, Dahl, Mays, Paschall, Walker Love watching old Bison tape from the 80's my dad recorded, I feel if the '86 team played our '07 team, it'd be a damn good game.

My dad is of the opinion that the teams back then were too good at getting 3-4 yards a play that even if the current teams had more talent, they simply couldn't stop Bentrim from perfectly executing the option.

I think he would be fully capable of running any teams veer. I think he'd be great air force, navy, georgia tech, you name the level of competition and he could have done it.

Here will be an interesting debate.... Simdorn vs. Bentrim???? From what I hear, Simmy was a better athlete....benny a better playmaker?

I started watching in 1982. I never saw the 60s teams. Just a kid in 82 but I remember much of it like yesterday. If I had to predict... The 86 team would have an advantage just because the veer is so rare now it would take them a half just to figure it out. Then the 07 team would take over and adjust at half. The speed of of our linebackers would catch up and the 07 team would win .a close game.

When I was a kid Ed Schultz used to claim that that Bison team would have beaten the Gophers. Its funny because I never believed it. I didnt believe it when we beat them in 07. It was when I saw USD beat them and SDSU almost do it.

Goes to show just how strong the NCC was in its hey day. And thats not even counting UND, Northern Colorado, and Nebraska Omaha who were good teams year in and year out.

Seemed like whoever won the NCC was destined to be the National Champions. Heck we actually played USD in the Championship game. And to think we used to have UNI too!
That was before my time.

Thats why I got pissed when Lakes disrespected the NCC teams and said we were going backwards . He has his head shoved way up his Ass.

344Johnson
06-10-2011, 04:35 AM
I started watching in 1982. Just a kid then but I remember much of it like yesterday. If I had to predict... The 86 team would have an advantage just because the veer is so rare now it would take them a half just to figure it out. Then the 07 team would take over and adjust at half. The speed of of our linebackers would catch up and the 07 team would wi.a close game.

When I was a kid Ed Schultz used to claim that that Bison team would have beaten the Gophers. Its funny because I never believed it. I didnt believe it when we beat them in 07. It was when I saw USD beat them and SDSU almost do it.

Goes to show just how strong the NCC was in its hey day. And thats not even counting UND, Northern Colorado, and Nebraska Omaha who were good teams year in and year out.

Seemed like whoever won the NCC was destined to be the National Champions. Heck we actually played USD in the Championship game. And to think we used to have UNI too!
That was before my time.

Thats why I got pissed when Lakes disrespected the NCC teams and said we were going backwards . He has his head shoved way up his Ass.

Yeah, UND people and Lakes agree on one thing, that ndsu is in NCC 2.0. Hell, thats fine with me. We got USD, SDSU from the NCC and then UNI, YSU, SIU, etc. I think we ahave a nice set-up for a conference. Enough good opponents to get respect, enough relatively ok teams to not drag us down too far.

HerdBot
06-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Yeah, UND people and Lakes agree on one thing, that ndsu is in NCC 2.0. Hell, thats fine with me. We got USD, SDSU from the NCC and then UNI, YSU, SIU, etc. I think we ahave a nice set-up for a conference. Enough good opponents to get respect, enough relatively ok teams to not drag us down too far.

Considering the Gateway was already one of the better conferences before NDSU, SDSU, and USD ever showed up... heck the worst team is Youngstown and they won 4 of 5 National Championships in the Ohio Valley. They won #5 the first year in the Gateway but haven't done much since. UNI and SIU are powerhouses.

The Big Sky is top heavy. It will be interesting to see how they respond by adding a good Davis and Poly.

CaBisonFan
06-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Considering the Gateway was already one of the better conferences before NDSU, SDSU, and USD ever showed up... heck the worst team is Youngstown and they won 4 of 5 National Championships in the Ohio Valley. They won #5 the first year in the Gateway but haven't done much since. UNI and SIU are powerhouses.

The Big Sky is top heavy. It will be interesting to see how they respond by adding a good Davis and Poly.

Poly will be an automatic powerhouse in the Big Sky. Davis has the potential to be. The Montana schools won't like it.

Twentysix
06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Poly will be an automatic powerhouse in the Big Sky. Davis has the potential to be. The Montana schools won't like it.

You would think Poly and Davis will also become better than they have been(and they are already pretty good). Prime recruiting location and now they have a better selling point (We're in a conference that matters!)

I would think SUU will become better aswell. Big sky should be a good fit for those 3. UND will probably become better too, though there is no way the big sky is the best FCS situation for them.

IzzyFlexion
06-10-2011, 12:17 PM

green chicklet whore!!!!

TransAmBison
06-10-2011, 12:50 PM
I wish them luck, but Poly has always struck me as an under-achiever. They play good at home but they really seem ultra-conservative on the road.

Notorious
06-10-2011, 02:12 PM
I wish them luck, but Poly has always struck me as an under-achiever. They play good at home but they really seem ultra-conservative on the road.

I'm just the opposite ;)

TransAmBison
06-10-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm just the opposite ;)
What does that mean? You suck balls at home? :duel:

westnodak93bison
06-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Question for CAS. Who is the best RB you ever played against?

CAS4127
06-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Question for CAS. Who is the best RB you ever played against?

Well, I played against Chad Stark and Tony Satter in practice, so I would pick either of them, but in no order--each had their own style.

As for oppenents, and I will be butchering the spelling here, but Chule Schwanke for USD would be it.

HerdBot
06-10-2011, 05:55 PM

I like Poly. I felt bad when we left the Great West and im glad they found a geographic home that makes sense. Some day we will see them in the playoffs and it will be fun.

BlueBisonRock
06-10-2011, 06:03 PM
green chicklet whore!!!!

What are you talking about? I neg reped him! Such blatent homerism just is not acceptable. !

* Just seeing if the purple mojo works?!? Hando does not deserve neg rep for any whoring attempt.

CaBisonFan
06-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Well, I played against Chad Stark and Tony Satter in practice, so I would pick either of them, but in no order--each had their own style.

As for oppenents, and I will be butchering the spelling here, but Chule Schwanke for USD would be it.

I taught Chule in high school at Hutchinson. He's one of the best I've ever seen. He ran like there was no one else on the field in HS. I remember that Nebraska wanted him...not sure how much they offered. He decided to stay closer to home. We all kind of scratched our heads.

Were you in a playoff game against them at Dacotah Field? Cold day. Maybe muddy. They thought they had the game...or should have. I went to the USD locker room after the game to talk to him. Hell of a nice guy.

CAS4127
06-10-2011, 07:42 PM
I taught Chule in high school at Hutchinson. He's one of the best I've ever seen. He ran like there was no one else on the field in HS. I remember that Nebraska wanted him...not sure how much they offered. He decided to stay closer to home. We all kind of scratched our heads.

Were you in a playoff game against them at Dacotah Field? Cold day. Maybe muddy. They thought they had the game...or should have. I went to the USD locker room after the game to talk to him. Hell of a nice guy.

Nope, not at DF. Played against him twice at the DakotaDome. He was an animal. I recall one play vividly. I'm playing weak-side OLB, but had strong safety responsibility because of offensive formation switch. I drop back to 15 & 2 (Cover 9) and he takes a deep draw hand off. Right tackle cuts our left d-end, he jumps over both of them, and was just looking for someone to run over. I'm the first one at the next level, and he and I have each other in our crosshairs. Let's just say it was a major collision that neither of us won--yep, we'll call it a draw. He was a tough sumbitch--fast, quick and very powerful/strong! It's no wonder Nebraska offered him.

GOD THAT WAS FUN!!!!

CaBisonFan
06-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Nope, not at DF. Played against him twice at the DakotaDome. He was an animal. I recall one play vividly. I'm playing weak-side OLB, but had strong safety responsibility because of offensive formation switch. I drop back to 15 & 2 (Cover 9) and he takes a deep draw hand off. Right tackle cuts our left d-end, he jumps over both of them, and was just looking for someone to run over. I'm the first one at the next level, and he and I have each other in our crosshairs. Let's just say it was a major collision that neither of us won--yep, we'll call it a draw. He was a tough sumbitch--fast, quick and very powerful/strong! It's no wonder Nebraska offered him.

GOD THAT WAS FUN!!!!

Wow...I appreciate the stories and insights. Most of us could only dream of playing in games like you did. You've really brought a new dimension to the board. Thanks CAS.

onbison09
06-10-2011, 09:17 PM

GOD THAT WAS FUN!!!!
If that doesn't deserve rep, nothing does.

TransAmBison
06-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Wow...I appreciate the stories and insights. Most of us could only dream of playing in games like you did. You've really brought a new dimension to the board. Thanks CAS.
I do agree. I hate giving CAS a bigger head than he already has, but he does add something that most of us cannot.

As far as great players, they are too numerous to mention. The 80's Bison were awesome. They would have tore DI-AA apart. They didn't have a player that was great, but they had teams that were great. Every team has a standout player, the 80's Bison had standout teams.

CAS4127
06-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Whaddaya mean 'no great players'??!!

More importantly, whadaya mean 'big head'??!!

That deserves some neg--reppin for being aggressively ignorant!!

I keeeeeed, my friend!!

56BISON73
06-10-2011, 10:32 PM
So did you guys train like Rocky, in Rocky 4 in Siberia pulling dogsleds?

Close to it.

56BISON73
06-10-2011, 10:46 PM

GOD THAT WAS FUN!!!!

Damn you got my heart pumping on that one!!!!

HerdBot
06-10-2011, 10:54 PM
If that doesn't deserve rep, nothing does.

Agree. That was a bad ass post.

CaBisonFan
06-11-2011, 02:13 AM

First...we need your younger perspective here...so don't feel like you're incapable of contributing. You seem to understand what Bentrim & Simdorn did with the veer. We wore teams down with the 3 & 4 yard plays...and saved our defense from melting down late in the game...as we've witnessed recently.

Jeff Bentrim was the ultimate team leader. His reads were nearly flawless. The offense had total faith in his ability to do this every Saturday. Later in the game, the small plays turned into bigger ones. Bentrim was the ultimate veer/option quarterback. I've never seen one that had his awareness. Would maybe have to go back to the old Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska teams to find one or two that were something like him. Yep...they were once option teams.

Simdorn was great too. He just had a different style. He was a track athlete and probably could have played at a DI school at another position. He had amazing heart. If we needed 3 yards...he usually found a way to get it...at his expense. He was hurt some, so his performance is a little more spotty than Bentrim's.

Great offensive lines...groomed to block for the veer...and a crop of outstanding ball handlers completed the formula on offense.

The defenses were...ah...scary good.

I've written this many times before...but I'll never forget how the booster side would give huge ovations to the defense...to a player who made a great tackle...to the offensive line...etc. They were aware enough to spot a great block...and the player heard about it. That crowd was totally into football and appreciated the small things that made the Bison so great. There were 'very' few people sitting on their hands.

These were NOT excellent teams. They were GREAT...even the ones that came in 2nd (a few times)...and the ones that came close...(many).

The teams can't be compared to this era. I love the new era too.

The older teams' execution of the system was nearly flawless. Total faith in the system is hard to beat. Add tremendous talent and you have the dynasty. Make no mistake...we had many DI caliber players in the 60s, 70s, & 80s. Some really outstanding players stood and watched.

But they came to Fargo for the right reason. To play Bison football and to win championships.

IzzyFlexion
06-11-2011, 12:47 PM

Isn't that also a euphemism for a dude's rig?

Answer Guy
06-13-2011, 01:37 AM

For you youngsters, you might find some early references to Pat Long as LVIBisonLXXIII. :rofl:

IzzyFlexion
06-13-2011, 02:16 AM
For you youngsters, you might find some early references to Pat Long as LVIBisonLXXIII. :rofl:

Here we see a depiction of a young and swarthy Pat "lighting up" the Lord on 3rd and short nearly causing a fumble on the pitch.
It is written that he, not He... was playing like a maniac out there, likely pissed that the team's equipment manager forgot to pack his regular jersey on the team chariot resulting in him having to wear #21.
:D
http://y107.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/jesus-football1.jpg

Tatanka
06-13-2011, 02:47 AM
Here we see a slightly more mature PL going out to the 50 yard line for the pre-game coin toss, presumably against the Spartans). He has his best game face on, but his wing-helmeted opponent is more turned on than intimidated, probably because PL wasn't wearing yellow.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dXvGSWAPHOE/TR2M0Hd9PLI/AAAAAAAACSU/Qm9RNd1K1zE/s1600/Ben-Hur-1925.jpg

PL and his teammates ultimately defeated the Spartans, but the halftime chariot race stole most of the attention.

56BISON73
06-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Here we see a slightly more mature PL going out to the 50 yard line for the pre-game coin toss, presumably against the Spartans). He has his best game face on, but his wing-helmeted opponent is more turned on than intimidated, probably because PL wasn't wearing yellow.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dXvGSWAPHOE/TR2M0Hd9PLI/AAAAAAAACSU/Qm9RNd1K1zE/s1600/Ben-Hur-1925.jpg

PL and his teammates ultimately defeated the Spartans, but the halftime chariot race stole most of the attention.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HerdBot
06-13-2011, 04:20 PM

++++++++++

HerdBot
06-13-2011, 04:29 PM

GOD THAT WAS FUN!!!!

was one of those games "the pitch?"

CAS4127
06-13-2011, 04:30 PM
was one of those games "the pitch?"

Yes--happened right in front of me!!

HerdBot
06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes--happened right in front of me!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_YUwdC_2Y&NR=1
It's crazy how the Dakota Dome has both teams on the same sideline. I wonder how the new "pre game handshake" will work when they Yotes join the valley?

edit: are those yote fans players or recruits on the same side as the bison? i thought i saw red helmets? never been to the dakota dome before

ndsubison1
06-17-2011, 08:11 PM
i have never watched the players on the championship teams so i really cant give an educated opinion on it. it would be like me saying shaq is better than kareem although i have never watched kareem play

BadlandsBison
06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
i have never watched the players on the championship teams so i really cant give an educated opinion on it. it would be like me saying shaq is better than kareem although i have never watched kareem play

Are you sure about that?

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/shaq-a-retrospective,20674/