PDA

View Full Version : Frank Veldman story in Strib

Bryan
05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
http://www.mntrackhub.com/news_article/show/91589?referrer_id=288014

bisonmike2
05-31-2011, 09:24 PM
kid sounds like an amazing athlete. those are always good to have on the field.

CaBisonFan
05-31-2011, 09:40 PM

We'll take this kind of kid. Wonder if the Gophers offered him a full scholarship. Oh...I forgot...he isn't from someplace else.

Thanks for showing us this.

tjbison
05-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Looking forward to seeing him play

mnriverbison
05-31-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm kind of shocked that this guy didn't get any BCS type offers even if only to fill out recruiting classes. Veldman could be a gem in this recruiting class.

HerdBot
05-31-2011, 10:23 PM

Looks like we found ourself one heck of an athlete. Jumping ability is a good measurement of athletic ability. Should be one heck of a safety. Fast and can out jump anyone. And after he gets the pick he can run. We will have a ridiculous tandem at safety with Veldman and Heagle. Any chance he plays as a true freshman?

EndZoneQB
05-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Looks like we found ourself one heck of an athlete. Jumping ability is a good measurement of athletic ability. Should be one heck of a safety. Fast and can out jump anyone. And after he gets the pick he can run. We will have a ridiculous tandem at safety with Veldman and Heagle. Any chance he plays as a true freshman?

No way. Eaves is a stud.

Herd
05-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Like his cousin and current bison, the tall athletic type can be very injury prone on the football field. With his injury history, time will tell.

I agree that he's the kind of kid that we want. If his success if minimized, it will be due to injury.

HerdBot
05-31-2011, 11:21 PM
No way. Eaves is a stud.

I wasnt saying as a starter but as a backup...

HerdBot
05-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Like his cousin and current bison, the tall athletic type can be very injury prone on the football field. With his injury history, time will tell.

I agree that he's the kind of kid that we want. If his success if minimized, it will be due to injury.

Huge difference between 6'4 and 6'7.

MNLonghorn10
05-31-2011, 11:44 PM
I wasnt saying as a starter but as a backup...

yea. red shirt or 0 time as a backup.

Notorious
06-01-2011, 12:55 AM
Huge difference between 6'4 and 6'7.

Yep...almost 4 inches.

westnodak93bison
06-01-2011, 01:47 AM
All that jumping is hell on the knees. I hope he isn't over doing it with practice or it will catch up to him.

CHADSTAUS
06-01-2011, 02:02 AM
I see a pick 6 against the rodents.

HerdBot
06-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Yep...almost 4 inches.

Nice pic! Looks like either Tony Little or the martial arts instructers wife on Napolean Dynomite.

mnriverbison
06-01-2011, 02:23 AM
This is the kind of kid you really want to redshirt. Incredible athlete who needs to put on some muscle. Especially with our D as good as it should be.

DjKyRo
06-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Man, the more I think about it the more I REEEEEAAAALLLY want him to get a hard look at playing WR. That said, this kid is going to be a difference-maker anywhere on the field, just about. Great get by the staff.

HerdBot
06-01-2011, 04:15 AM
Man, the more I think about it the more I REEEEEAAAALLLY want him to get a hard look at playing WR. That said, this kid is going to be a difference-maker anywhere on the field, just about. Great get by the staff.

I could be wrong but the Championship winning teams seemed to put the best athletes on defense.

Notorious
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I could be wrong but the Championship winning teams seemed to put the best athletes on defense.

Don't get CAS started....!!

Castor Troy
06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
All that jumping is hell on the knees. I hope he isn't over doing it with practice or it will catch up to him.

Everyone knows how much I love track, but you are right! He has to quit doing the triple and high jump since it is very hard on the ankles and knees. I asked Lars if there is a possibility of Frank jumping for the track team and he answered with, "We don't have the kind of relationship with the current football coaching staff that we did with Rocky's staff."

Anyway, Frank's track career needs to come to a conclusion cuz he has some football to play.

CAS4127
06-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Everyone knows how much I love track, but you are right! He has to quit doing the triple and high jump since it is very hard on the ankles and knees. I asked Lars if there is a possibility of Frank jumping for the track team and he answered with, "We don't have the kind of relationship with the current football coaching staff that we did with Rocky's staff."

Anyway, Frank's track career needs to come to a conclusion cuz he has some football to play.

I just hope he likes to hit. IMO, less chance for injury if you are the hitter and not the hittee!! Looks like he will have lots of range horizontally, vertically (field-wise) and "upward" (jumping-wise). Again, just hope he likes to hit (possible reason no FBS offers???!!!), if not, he may not turn out the way we ALL would like to see.

westnodak93bison
06-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I'll speculate the injuries may have kept some FBS offers away and the fact he needs to put on some weight.

Castor Troy
06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I just hope he likes to hit. IMO, less chance for injury if you are the hitter and not the hittee!! Looks like he will have lots of range horizontally, vertically (field-wise) and "upward" (jumping-wise). Again, just hope he likes to hit (possible reason no FBS offers???!!!), if not, he may not turn out the way we ALL would like to see.

This is a great point, since he is built more like a WR than a safety. I can't remember the Bison having a safety so tall.

I think Eric Hegerle was 6' 3"

CAS4127
06-01-2011, 03:39 PM
This is a great point, since he is built more like a WR than a safety. I can't remember the Bison having a safety so tall.

I think Eric Hegerle was 6' 3"

Eric was taller than 6'3", more like 6'4"-6'5"--he quit to go play volleyball :hide: somewhere. Casey Bradley was also in the 6'4" range, and, while I love him to death, he was not much of a hitter, even he would admit that.

tony
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Tony Bizal from Blaine was a tall safety recruit.

silkamilkamonico
06-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Eric was taller than 6'3", more like 6'4"-6'5"--he quit to go play volleyball :hide: somewhere.

Dude made some good money playing on the beach. Hell of a volleyball player.

goldenshower
06-01-2011, 11:14 PM
We'll take this kind of kid. Wonder if the Gophers offered him a full scholarship. Oh...I forgot...he isn't from someplace else.

Thanks for showing us this.

this CaBison guy is a joke, his comment cant be real!

14 nodaks for ndsu?

minnesota has about 40...

show me a year where the majority of football players are not from minnesota! there isnt one! and then show me the year of ndsu having the majority of their roster from north dakota cause im willing to bet that wont be found either!

im cool with guys trash talking the gophers, but this ca guy keeps talking noise about minnesota not recruiting "mn kids" is driving me nuts-it couldnt be further from the truth!

Bison Dan
06-02-2011, 12:29 PM

14 nodaks for ndsu?

show me a year where the majority of football players are not from minnesota! there isnt one! and then show me the year of ndsu having the majority of their roster from north dakota cause im willing to bet that wont be found either!

im cool with guys trash talking the gophers, but this ca guy keeps talking noise about minnesota not recruiting "mn kids" is driving me nuts-it couldnt be further from the truth!

Hard to discount that Brewster would take a 3 star from Texas over one from MN. Most 2 star kids from MN are equal to the 3 star kids from down south in IMO. Northern kids don't get the exposure they get.

westnodak93bison
06-02-2011, 01:42 PM

14 nodaks for ndsu?

Go take a Golden Shower sir. The goophs have passed on many solid MN kids especially with Punky at the helm.

mnriverbison
06-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Hard to discount that Brewster would take a 3 star from Texas over one from MN. Most 2 star kids from MN are equal to the 3 star kids from down south in IMO. Northern kids don't get the exposure they get.

That is a pretty big statement. I wonder if there is any way to test that theory.

Bison Dan
06-02-2011, 06:51 PM
That is a pretty big statement. I wonder if there is any way to test that theory.

Easy - Our win plus USD's win over MN and we should have won in 06 and SDSU should have too. Mostly no star to 2 stars kids beating 3 star or better kids.

mnriverbison
06-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Easy - Our win plus USD's win over MN and we should have won in 06 and SDSU should have too. Mostly no star to 2 stars kids beating 3 star or better kids.

Can I assume that you're kidding?

goldenshower
06-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Go take a Golden Shower sir. The goophs have passed on many solid MN kids especially with Punky at the helm.

if minnesota missed why didnt iowa and wisky miss? or northwestern and illinois? iowa and wisky recruit minny hard and they didnt offer those kids either.

the comments "punky missed" is stupid because the other fbs schools didnt offer either. there is a reason for that, they all felt they werent developed enough to deserve an offer. doesnt mean those guys wont develop into studs, just means nobody thought they were ready out of high school.

get over yourselves-only way minnesota misses is when they dont offer a kid and he goes and plays for wisky or iowa-when they go to ndsu and do well good for them-but that doesnt mean they were "missed"

BlueBisonRock
06-02-2011, 11:28 PM
if minnesota missed why didnt iowa and wisky miss? or northwestern and illinois? iowa and wisky recruit minny hard and they didnt offer those kids either.

the comments "punky missed" is stupid because the other fbs schools didnt offer either. there is a reason for that, they all felt they werent developed enough to deserve an offer. doesnt mean those guys wont develop into studs, just means nobody thought they were ready out of high school.

get over yourselves-only way minnesota misses is when they dont offer a kid and he goes and plays for wisky or iowa-when they go to ndsu and do well good for them-but that doesnt mean they were "missed"

As a Gopher fan (second to Bison), I agree with WesternND. Mason did a better job of recruiting MN kids, but both seemed to think that a kid from elsewhere was better than an MN kid. Even when they did bring MN kids to the team, they made it clear that they were lower in the queue. Case in point is the Scheels brothers. Both were walkons and had to battle to get a walkon. Both worked their tails off and started. Other 'more highly skilled' kids that were given schollys just did not stick around....

As a Gopher fan, I was very disappointed in Punky. As a Bison fan, I loved him!

goldenshower
06-02-2011, 11:47 PM
As a Gopher fan (second to Bison), I agree with WesternND. Mason did a better job of recruiting MN kids, but both seemed to think that a kid from elsewhere was better than an MN kid. Even when they did bring MN kids to the team, they made it clear that they were lower in the queue. Case in point is the Scheels brothers. Both were walkons and had to battle to get a walkon. Both worked their tails off and started. Other 'more highly skilled' kids that were given schollys just did not stick around....

As a Gopher fan, I was very disappointed in Punky. As a Bison fan, I loved him!

you couldnt be more wrong! mason was the laziest recruiter! he pushed top talent to ohio st and notre dame. he turned off so many of the power high school coaches it was disgusting. for all the bad brewster did, recruiting in minnesota was not one of them. he recruited minnesota's top talent very well(dont give me any b.s. about henderson, floyd-those guys were top 15 talent nationally and were leaving mn-even if jesus was coaching MN).

barber wasnt a highly recruited guy but was great, eric decker had mn or st johns as his options, matt spaeth was not highly recruited either, the list of mason coaching up offensive guys who were not recruited heavily was true, but he never kept any top mn kids in state-in james laurenitis has spoken of mason telling him he was too good for mn and he should go to ohio st.

HerdBot
06-03-2011, 12:00 AM
you couldnt be more wrong! mason was the laziest recruiter! he pushed top talent to ohio st and notre dame. he turned off so many of the power high school coaches it was disgusting. for all the bad brewster did, recruiting in minnesota was not one of them. he recruited minnesota's top talent very well(dont give me any b.s. about henderson, floyd-those guys were top 15 talent nationally and were leaving mn-even if jesus was coaching MN).

barber wasnt a highly recruited guy but was great, eric decker had mn or st johns as his options, matt spaeth was not highly recruited either, the list of mason coaching up offensive guys who were not recruited heavily was true, but he never kept any top mn kids in state-in james laurenitis has spoken of mason telling him he was too good for mn and he should go to ohio st.

I have a tough time believing Mason would tell guys they are too good to be a Gopher and should be a Buckeye. That implies he didn't want to win. Sounds like BS. Smells like BS. Must be BS.

BlueBisonRock
06-03-2011, 12:07 AM

:facepalm:

It did not bother me to see Mason go. The student body is usually a sound source and their "Fire Ma-son" cheers said a lot. Yes, he did a crappy job with the top MN talent. You note Punky did keep some MN kids around. Tell me then why there are more Mr. MN Football players at other schools including NDSU than at the UofMN. (Thanks again Punky for your contribution to the NDSU FB success!)

Think about it. Thanks to these two, the Gophs are now playing in a stadium that can not seat 50k after playing in the Metrodump which held aprox. 15k more. One was lazy (your assessment). The other had his head firmly planted in fantasy. Neither did any long term favors for the UofMN.

I want to see Gopher success, but the last 50 years have done little to encourage me. The Mason - Brewster years made watching the Gophers even more painful. I believe Kill will out perform both of the previous coaches in recruiting and getting results from his team and will finally get the Gophs out of this morass.

westnodak93bison
06-03-2011, 02:59 AM

Really? Just because other "big ten" schools don't offer doesn't mean a recruit isn't worthy. Take your Big Ten snooty attitude and be on your way. I hope the Goophs keep up their stellar in state recruiting. We will take all the guys like Craig Dahl, Ramon Humber, Nick Schommer, Nate Safe etc...

goldenshower
06-03-2011, 03:00 AM
:facepalm:

It did not bother me to see Mason go. The student body is usually a sound source and their "Fire Ma-son" cheers said a lot. Yes, he did a crappy job with the top MN talent. You note Punky did keep some MN kids around. Tell me then why there are more Mr. MN Football players at other schools including NDSU than at the UofMN. (Thanks again Punky for your contribution to the NDSU FB success!)

Think about it. Thanks to these two, the Gophs are now playing in a stadium that can not seat 50k after playing in the Metrodump which held aprox. 15k more. One was lazy (your assessment). The other had his head firmly planted in fantasy. Neither did any long term favors for the UofMN.

I want to see Gopher success, but the last 50 years have done little to encourage me. The Mason - Brewster years made watching the Gophers even more painful. I believe Kill will out perform both of the previous coaches in recruiting and getting results from his team and will finally get the Gophs out of this morass.

First, my original comment was directed to cabison and his b.am comment regarding minnesota doesn't recruit minnesota kids. 2nd, the laurenitis family have spoken poublicly about mason telling his family osu was a better fit.

Last-if any of you think zach vraa deserved the mr football award in mr football over seantrel henderson you are an idiot! There were multiple athletes more deserving than vraa. Don't bring up the mr football award because that arguement carries no weight!

Tcf will be doing just fine, ndsu was a top 20 team all last season and you guys didn't sell out so don't come to me stressing attendance issues when you guys should have no problem selling out regardless of deer hunting!

NDSUstudent
06-03-2011, 03:46 AM

At the end of the Mason era, he was missing and in some cases missing badly. Some of it had to do with poorly evaluating talent. Brew wasn't as bad as Mase in ignoring/mis-evaluating MN talent but he had a few moments, Turner was a miss. Few start on NDSU's OL as a true freshman and that guy is not just starting but he is excelling. He could play in the Big 10, no doubt in my mind.

goldenshower
06-03-2011, 12:00 PM
At the end of the Mason era, he was missing and in some cases missing badly. Some of it had to do with poorly evaluating talent. Brew wasn't as bad as Mase in ignoring/mis-evaluating MN talent but he had a few moments, Turner was a miss. Few start on NDSU's OL as a true freshman and that guy is not just starting but he is excelling. He could play in the Big 10, no doubt in my mind.

Why didnt turner go to wisky? Or iowa? Again, it is not a miss for minn unless that kid goes on and Plays for wisky or iowa.

Bison Dan
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Why didnt turner go to wisky? Or iowa? Again, it is not a miss for minn unless that kid goes on and Plays for wisky or iowa.

WOW - delusional thinking at it's best. So all the players that make the pro's that aren't FBS players - are not misses?? Fact is MN has been playing at the FCS level for the last 10 years.

goldenshower
06-03-2011, 12:54 PM
WOW - delusional thinking at it's best. So all the players that make the pro's that aren't FBS players - are not misses?? Fact is MN has been playing at the FCS level for the last 10 years.

Delusional would be a great word for ndsu fans saying "the gophers missed" but excusing other local big ten schools! Many of you sound like the left wingers who still blame george bush for all that is negative in america.

The fact is there are hundreds of fcs athletes who could have played in the power conferences, and there is more than being "missed" as the reason they aren't recruited. There are a handful of guys playing at u minn duluth that could play at ndsu-did ndsu miss-i don't think so.

Minnesota didn't miss on kids that weren't recruited by any other big ten school-you are high if you believe anything about this "miss" concept

NDSUstudent
06-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Those schools aren't in MN, those schools also aren't struggling FBS schools like Minnesota.

westnodak93bison
06-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Delusional would be a great word for ndsu fans saying "the gophers missed" but excusing other local big ten schools! Many of you sound like the left wingers who still blame george bush for all that is negative in america.

The fact is there are hundreds of fcs athletes who could have played in the power conferences, and there is more than being "missed" as the reason they aren't recruited. There are a handful of guys playing at u minn duluth that could play at ndsu-did ndsu miss-i don't think so.

Minnesota didn't miss on kids that weren't recruited by any other big ten school-you are high if you believe anything about this "miss" concept

So, if MN, WI and IA all recruit a kid and he never starts would you call that a "miss"? Like this kid? http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Tyler-Westphal-62237

Bison Dan
06-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Okay you're right - MN doesn't "miss" - I wonder why you're record has been so shitty the last 10 years. The fact that FCS schools play at your level isn't concerning to you?

mgbison
06-03-2011, 02:40 PM
You don't think mn has missed a lot of recruits over the years? That's where coaches evaluating talent comes in. Mn loses way too many kids to uni and ndsu period. I don't care if Iowa or wi offered some of these kids or not. Iowa and Wisconsin havent sucked as bad as mn has for the last 30 years.

Shit, anybody can recruit if you go to rivals and look at players stars and who else has offered and then offer that kid.

Grizzled
06-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Minnesota's struggles the last ten years ran a lot deeper than lack of talent. It all started with coaching. Theirs was a putz, ours was more capable of coaching in the Big Ten than theirs who was coaching in the Big Ten period.

goldenshower, please don't come on here telling us how to recruit, our track record in that area speaks for itself when we compare how our teams have done on the field head to head.

Buthockey
06-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Hey I.P. Freely,
Don't worry, you've always got me to fall back on... most years, eh?
Gotta go dip the blades in some cola.

mnriverbison
06-03-2011, 04:46 PM
What is even being argued in this thread anymore?

If a player overperforms his scout or rivals star rating does that mean that some teams missed on him?

By that logic, any NFL bound player who doesn't play at a top-tier BCS school was missed by all of those schools. It simply isn't true.

At the end of the day, game results depend on a world more than the players raw athletic or even football ability. Player development, S and C, gameplanning, motivation, etc all matter. And their totality matters a great deal more than the raw talent which went in. Did MN's victory at #1 Penn State back in the Mason era prove that their players were better? Of course not. Did it prove that PSU "missed" on all of those Gopher players in recruiting? Of course not. Was MN "better" than Iowa last year? Of course not. Does anyone think that we were worse than Missouri State or Illinois State last year?

There is an odd delusion prevelent on this board that victory in a game instantly = better talent or even a better team. I get where it comes from, in trying to define NDSU's BCS victories as more important than they were, but it is a crock nonetheless. Accepting that deeply flawed premise is accepting that there are no upsets ever and is an impossible line of logic to follow any time teams meet again in the postseason and the previous victor loses. It also gets into odd circular falicies when team A beats B and B beats C and C beats A. Who is the best team? Who missed on recruiting?

Back to the point-I'm super pumped that Veldman will be a Bison and on paper it doesn't make a ton of sense why he was overlooked by regional BCS teams. I'm sure that there is more than meets the eye here but that is the kind of upside-heavy players who often thrive in FCS.

goldenshower
06-03-2011, 11:08 PM
You don't think mn has missed a lot of recruits over the years? That's where coaches evaluating talent comes in. Mn loses way too many kids to uni and ndsu period. I don't care if Iowa or wi offered some of these kids or not. Iowa and Wisconsin havent sucked as bad as mn has for the last 30 years.

Shit, anybody can recruit if you go to rivals and look at players stars and who else has offered and then offer that kid.

i dont think minnesota has lost on any kids over the years. they were picking lower tier bcs kids and were coached poorly at the end of the mason era and during the majority of the brewster era.

im not insulting any of the past, present, or future bison football players. i believe guys like mays and that bowling ball rb rohl should have played at bigger schools. however rohl probably would have been a fb and rarely touched the ball and no one would have heard of him imo. you guys have had some nfl talent and again im not saying your players arent good.

my beef is the notion that minnesota doesnt recruit minnesota. the majority of our team is from minny, the problem is keeping top in state talent home. brewster had the most success keeping kids home. its too bad sam maresh became a giant assbag-im still hoping he comes back because he is dominating at juco! if ndsu fans are going to talk sh*t about the gophers not keeping in state talent then i think you ppl need to rip apart your football team because nd brings in a myopic amount of in state players.

mnriverbison did a great job with his post and i hope all of you rep'd him for that beautifully written comment.

NDSUstudent
06-03-2011, 11:30 PM
i dont think minnesota has lost on any kids over the years. they were picking lower tier bcs kids and were coached poorly at the end of the mason era and during the majority of the brewster era.

im not insulting any of the past, present, or future bison football players. i believe guys like mays and that bowling ball rb rohl should have played at bigger schools. however rohl probably would have been a fb and rarely touched the ball and no one would have heard of him imo. you guys have had some nfl talent and again im not saying your players arent good.

my beef is the notion that minnesota doesnt recruit minnesota. the majority of our team is from minny, the problem is keeping top in state talent home. brewster had the most success keeping kids home. its too bad sam maresh became a giant assbag-im still hoping he comes back because he is dominating at juco! if ndsu fans are going to talk sh*t about the gophers not keeping in state talent then i think you ppl need to rip apart your football team because nd brings in a myopic amount of in state players.

mnriverbison did a great job with his post and i hope all of you rep'd him for that beautifully written comment.

Looking at the size of ND, I'd say we are doing fairly well with bringing instate kids. MN is the only DI school in a decent-sized state, NDSU is one of two DI schools in a small state.

Honestly our coaches are even wondering how we got Turner, if that happens something is wrong in Gopherville. But Brewster was a clueless buffoon and Mason was lazy at the end of his tenure with the Gophers so it isn't shocking we've been tacking in great recruit after great recruit from MN.

It also helps that MN high school coaches know that NDSU has a solid coaching staff that can offer a lot to their kids. Bohl and previous coaching staffs have really built up a great rep for NDSU across MN.

344Johnson
06-04-2011, 12:50 AM
First, my original comment was directed to cabison and his b.am comment regarding minnesota doesn't recruit minnesota kids. 2nd, the laurenitis family have spoken poublicly about mason telling his family osu was a better fit.

Last-if any of you think zach vraa deserved the mr football award in mr football over seantrel henderson you are an idiot! There were multiple athletes more deserving than vraa. Don't bring up the mr football award because that arguement carries no weight!

Tcf will be doing just fine, ndsu was a top 20 team all last season and you guys didn't sell out so don't come to me stressing attendance issues when you guys should have no problem selling out regardless of deer hunting!

a transcript of the conversation would be nice. Perhaps the circumstances surrounding Mason telling Laurenitis OSU would be a better fit. Perhaps Laurenitis wasn't liking something regarding the program at the U, or OSU had his major, or a combination of things leading Mason to say OSU would be a good place to go to. Maybe the Laurenitis family is full of shit, I guess we'll never know!

TCF is a nice place to play ball, anyone complaining that it only holds around 50,000 is just trying to tell you that your not playing in the Horseshoe or the Big House, or my favorite, Beaver Stadium "Happy Valley". If you have a good atmosphere, sellouts, and are making a boatload of cash, your stadium is fine.

He makes a valid point about us not selling out however, I do not understand why we aren't at least getting 18,000 a game. Deer Hunting is the exception to any law regarding football games, I personally do not hunt, but it is huge up here. NDSU should be doing everything in its power to get that as a road weekend, because there is little to no chance we get more than 14 or 15 thousand those weekends.

344Johnson
06-04-2011, 12:59 AM

14 nodaks for ndsu?

Sorry to post again, just paging through the comments and trying to keep a cool head.

NDSU would be pretty terrible if we had 40 ND ball players. Keep in mind, our population is less than 700,000. Minnesota has a population in the 5 million area right? I think what most of these guys are trying to say(albeit in an agressive shit-talking way) is that Minnesota doesn't end up with the in-state talent that they should, for a variety of reasons.

1. Guy flies under radar (Hell it happens to us too, not so much lately)

2. Coach decides out of state players are more valuable. This is something I have seen on here many times about Mason and Brewster, do not know this from any personal research, so busy trying to set up pipelines that they forget about the place where the pipeline leads to.

3. The team sucks, plain and simple, right now, you don't hear a whole lot of SKY-U-MA at the U. When your team sucks, even for just a few years, it can be hard to get people to buy back into it, especially good kids who want to compete for Championships.

4. Metrodome was not exactly going to win over recruits with its college-esque atmosphere. Comparing that to Happy Valley or the Horseshoe is like comparing a blind mutt to a competition winning purebred German Shepard*. Our dome does well for recruiting because of its size in relation to almost all other FCS schools with a few exceptions.

5. My personal belief for why they are struggling with keeping some guys in-state is because the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux have such a good team. Every Minnesota guy on their roster had offers to play at the U, Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, and Texas. Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to recruit good players when the FIGHTING SIOUX hostily and abusively come in and kick everyone's ass. I heard the only reason Seantrel didn't go to UND was because his grades. UND only takes the best of the best athletically and academically, as they are one of the best schools in the country to go to in every single field that they have. It is a wonder that NDSU and Minnesota even have football teams considering their proximity to the University of North Dakota FIGHTING SIOUX.

*Any dog works for this example, I simply used German Shepard because I think they are awesome dogs.

Bryan
06-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Laurinitis switched for one reason, Glen and staff wanted to move him to DE before ever giving him a chance at LB, obviously it was a major blunder on Mason's part.

and if Minnesota offered every MN kid who ended up at UNI, SDSU, and NDSU like some on here seem to think they should and like to talk about over and over and over, they would have a roster size of at least 150. There are enough quality players in the state that every year some good players will find there way to the smaller schools, just like there are local area kids who end up at UMD, St. Johns, St. Thomas, Mankato, etc. who could play for NDSU and get overlooked.

EndZoneQB
06-04-2011, 01:43 AM
who could play for NDSU and get overlooked.

I call BS. NDSU does NOT overlook kids. No way.

LOL

344Johnson
06-04-2011, 05:34 AM
I call BS. NDSU does NOT overlook kids. No way.

LOL

Every NDSU recruit is a 5 star recruit who flies under the radar.

westnodak93bison
06-04-2011, 08:41 PM
The MN state track meet is next weekend. Will be interesting to see how he does. Good luck Franky.

344Johnson
06-05-2011, 06:39 PM
The MN state track meet is next weekend. Will be interesting to see how he does. Good luck Franky.

We all know that a Sioux recruit is going to crush him

westnodak93bison
06-11-2011, 05:12 PM
2nd in the triple jump as expected 45-09.25'

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/upload/MSHSL143022Boys%20Class%20A%20Prelim%20Results%20I II.htm

westnodak93bison
06-11-2011, 07:16 PM
2nd in all three jumps

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/upload/MSHSL134745Class%20AA%20Boys%20Final%20Results.htm

tony
06-11-2011, 11:16 PM
2nd in all three jumps

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/upload/MSHSL134745Class%20AA%20Boys%20Final%20Results.htm

That's pretty impressive.

Couldn't help but notice that Michael Sandle from Eden Prairie had a season best of over 50' in the triple jump... holy carp!