PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Chrest

tony
05-28-2011, 03:01 AM
As you may remember, Brandon Chrest is 2011 walk-on from Cavalier.

You also probably remember that he's a stud FB and BB player, but that was enough so he went out for track this spring. First year of track and he was seeded fifth in the 100m and #2 in the high jump going into the state meet. He also qualified in the 200 and long jump but is running relays instead.

So far, his 4x100 relay team has the fastest time in the prelims, but it's very, very close. He also had the #3 time in the 100 prelims.

Speaking of the 100 prelims, the second best time was from a student named Xenos Lonewolf from Langdon. NDSU has to get him on the football team just for the name alone.

BisonNeil
05-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the update Tony.

This reminds me of something I have been thinking about for a long time, the walk on program.

We all know that the 2008 recruiting class was a profoundly bad one. It may very well go down as one of the worst in the history of modern (post-1964) Bison football. However, Bohl signed four preferred walk ons and two are on the two deep roster, Beckius and Duchscher. Zach Wentz likely would have also contributed had he not decided to concentrate on baseball. Although the scholarship players were a abyssmal, I think 2008 may have been a break through year for the walk on program because prior to that none contributed under the Bohl regime.

In 2009 the preferred walk ons were Hushka, Lang and Luecke. They will all likely contribute to Bison success.

Among the 2010 preferred walk on group (which was a very small one), Pittman comes to mind and I think he has a solid chance to make the two deep roster at some point.

While the 2011 preferred walk ons aren't on campus yet, I like the chances of some of them to contribute as there is some good athleticism (if not crazy speed). Among the most recent walk ons that I think have a really good shot at contributing I include Chrest at OLB, Dunn at WR, LaVoy at LB and Wood at DT.

So, it may not make much sense to many others but somehow I think 2008 was a break through year for the walk on program.

KilldeerBison
05-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the update Tony.

This reminds me of something I have been thinking about for a long time, the walk on program.

I remember Bohl saying that the walk-on program is vital to the success of any good football team, this was a few years back. I agree that our walk-on's are better, as is evident by the number now playing. The coaching staff has done a good job recruiting the past few years, both scholarship and walk-on.

tjbison
05-28-2011, 02:58 PM
I remember Bohl saying that the walk-on program is vital to the success of any good football team, this was a few years back. I agree that our walk-on's are better, as is evident by the number now playing. The coaching staff has done a good job recruiting the past few years, both scholarship and walk-on.

Following the mold of Nebraska and their Walk on program?

HerdBot
05-28-2011, 03:59 PM
As you may remember, Brandon Chrest is 2011 walk-on from Cavalier.

You also probably remember that he's a stud FB and BB player, but that was enough so he went out for track this spring. First year of track and he was seeded fifth in the 100m and #2 in the high jump going into the state meet. He also qualified in the 200 and long jump but is running relays instead.

So far, his 4x100 relay team has the fastest time in the prelims, but it's very, very close. He also had the #3 time in the 100 prelims.

Speaking of the 100 prelims, the second best time was from a student named Xenos Lonewolf from Langdon. NDSU has to get him on the football team just for the name alone.

My name's Chaz Michael Michaela. They call me the lone wolf.

onbison09
05-28-2011, 04:08 PM
What a badass last name!

tony
05-29-2011, 04:41 AM
What a badass last name!

You mean the "Lonewolf" in Xenos Lonewolf? What makes that name so perfect is... well, no, that's too easy - do a web search on "Xenos."

Anyway, Brandon Chrest: 2nd in the 100m, 2nd in the high jump, and his 4x100 relay team took first. Not a bad showing!