PDA

View Full Version : The Next Level for Softball

DjKyRo
05-26-2011, 10:12 PM
BI Article, "The Next Level for Bison Softball"

First-round exit leaves fans pleased but wondering.

If there's any storyline to be found in the 2010-11 sports season, it has to be the success of mid-major programs across the sporting world. Boise State's stumble after three years of flat out domination alongside Texas Christian's rampage through the Mountain West Conference in FBS football, Butler's triumphant return to the national championship and Virginia Commonwealth's Final Four berth in college basketball, and Minnesota-Duluth's championship in the world of college hockey are all but a few examples of the successes mid-major schools have enjoyed in the face of power programs throughout college athletics.

Bison Softball could very well be considered the scion of such successes in the less-publicized sport of women's fast pitch, but after a pair of first-round exits at the hands of some of the best squads in the country two years running, is it fair to say that NDSU's softball program has reached that higher echelon of competition?

http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=649

DePereBisonFan
05-27-2011, 07:31 PM
It is frustrating to lose in the first round two years in a row. At least we're making the tournament, but our OOC W-L record during the regular season and postseason seems to show that the Summit competition isn't preparing us for the top teams from other conferences. I don't know, though. I wonder where UMKC would have been seeded. We need to have more than one good playoff run before we will get any respect.

Herd
05-27-2011, 07:42 PM
BI Article, "The Next Level for Bison Softball"

First-round exit leaves fans pleased but wondering.

http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=649

If we would have beat SDSU and Beach, and lost to Arizona State again, I would have satisfied. The SDSU game was a big letdown for me. But it was again a strong season for the Bison.

The other thing that has to change is the Summit regular season for NDSU softball. We clearly have the ability to win the league each year, but have underachieved until conf tournament time all too often. With Whitney there for 2 more years, it should be fun to watch.

ndsubison1
05-28-2011, 08:41 AM
im still trying to understand what we expect. did we not make the super regionals two seasons ago? we were in the regional with the overall 1 seed. not much else can be said

North Side
05-28-2011, 07:30 PM
im still trying to understand what we expect. did we not make the super regionals two seasons ago? we were in the regional with the overall 1 seed. not much else can be said

exactly, softball is very strong, We have just had horrible seeding, playing number 1 seeds the past 2 years.

sambini
06-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Arizona State wins today and goes to the National Championship series.

NorthernBison
06-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Arizona State wins today and goes to the National Championship series.

Im not sure if ASU has even been tested yet.

As for the Bison program, it is THERE in terms of the next level. IMO, the program is firmly entrenched at the highest level we can expect to achieve. A solid "mid-major"program that the big programs can never take lightly.

I think we can win another Regional Tournament again and get to play in a Super Regional.

There's a chance (a very small chance) of a WCWS appearance if all the dominos fall into place. A perfect storm could happen someday.

We will NEVER be consistently competitive with the top Pac-10 programs or even the other major softball conferences.

DjKyRo
06-06-2011, 08:16 PM

As for the Bison program, it is THERE in terms of the next level. IMO, the program is firmly entrenched at the highest level we can expect to achieve. A solid "mid-major"program that the big programs can never take lightly.

I think we can win another Regional Tournament again and get to play in a Super Regional.

There's a chance (a very small chance) of a WCWS appearance if all the dominos fall into place. A perfect storm could happen someday.

We will NEVER be consistently competitive with the top Pac-10 programs or even the other major softball conferences.

From a more personal standpoint than I'm able to capture in my articles, I think ORU baseball is showing us what a true power midmajor program can do - they just housed TCU and are in prime shape to make a dominant run in the national tournament. I think having a solid outing against ASU regardless of the outcome was necessary to take the Bison as serious contenders, and the way they manhandled us tells me we're just not all the way there...yet. I think the pieces are in place and am a huge fan of Coach Mueller.

ndsubison1
06-07-2011, 01:59 AM
From a more personal standpoint than I'm able to capture in my articles, I think ORU baseball is showing us what a true power midmajor program can do - they just housed TCU and are in prime shape to make a dominant run in the national tournament. I think having a solid outing against ASU regardless of the outcome was necessary to take the Bison as serious contenders, and the way they manhandled us tells me we're just not all the way there...yet. I think the pieces are in place and am a huge fan of Coach Mueller.

For the record ORU has one CWS appearance ever. That was in 1978. They're in regionals right now, just like we were. They're a game away from the Super Regionals. Which we've been there before too.

ndsubison1
06-07-2011, 02:06 AM
In related news ASU is winning game 1 of the national championship right now 14-0 :hide:

imabison
06-07-2011, 03:15 AM

The closest test I have seen to Arizona State was Florida on Friday evening when they won 6 - 5 over Florida.

The other day in the first Florida/Alabama game I noticed that when the Alabama pitcher was pulled in the first inning and the new pitcher was warming up, the Alabama bench crowded around the pitcher on the bench
to block the camera angles until the game started.

NorthernBison
06-07-2011, 03:47 AM

ASU kicked the living crap out of Florida in Game #1 of the Final series tonight. Takes some of the sting out of what they did to the Bison. They've been doing it to everybody.

My point was not that we can NEVER have success. Things can fall into place any given year. Lightning could strike and we end up in the WCWS. That MIGHT happen once in our lifetime. No way will we consistently battle the big dogs. Like baseball, climate is a factor for softball success.

Coach Mueller and the team will always set their goals high. I will never be disappointed with getting the autobid and a respectable showing in the Regional. This year, getting trashed by ASU was not something to feel ashamed of and losing a close game to San Diego State was respectable.

DjKyRo
06-07-2011, 04:05 AM
ASU kicked the living crap out of Florida in Game #1 of the Final series tonight. Takes some of the sting out of what they did to the Bison. They've been doing it to everybody.

My point was not that we can NEVER have success. Things can fall into place any given year. Lightning could strike and we end up in the WCWS. That MIGHT happen once in our lifetime. No way will we consistently battle the big dogs. Like baseball, climate is a factor for softball success.

Coach Mueller and the team will always set their goals high. I will never be disappointed with getting the autobid and a respectable showing in the Regional. This year, getting trashed by ASU was not something to feel ashamed of and losing a close game to San Diego State was respectable.

Totally dig it and I don't mean any disrespect to the ladies for their hard work and accomplishments.

ndsubison1
06-07-2011, 04:18 AM
ASU put on a show tonight. Too bad we got such a horrible draw

sambini
06-08-2011, 02:45 AM
ASU wins it all ....

semobison
06-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Gotta agree with Northern here! Considering the weather in Fargo, we have an amazingly good softball program! There is just no way we beat out Pac 10 program for recuits, and weather is the main reason!

CAS4127
08-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Gotta agree with Northern here! Considering the weather in Fargo, we have an amazingly good softball program! There is just no way we beat out Pac 10 program for recuits, and weather is the main reason!

Herd from VERY GOOD if not GREAT source that we may just be getting stud transfer from the University of Maryland if everything works out. She is out of California originally.

P.S. I "herd" ;) her dad is originally from Nodak, so don't ban me for spreading rumors Tony.

Answer Guy
08-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Herd from VERY GOOD if not GREAT source that we may just be getting stud transfer from the University of Maryland if everything works out. She is out of California originally.

You have no idea where those states are, do you? :rofl:

The_Sicatoka
08-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Be nice. His iPhone has a map app. :bow:

MN_BISON
08-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Be nice. His iPhone has a map app. :bow:

Yeah but he doesn't know how to find it and if he ever did, he wouldn't know how to use it. :hide: Kind of like the first time he made it to third base.
:D

CAS4127
08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah but he doesn't know how to find it and if he ever did, he wouldn't know how to use it. :hide: Kind of like the first time he made it to third base.

I may be a bit "geographically" challenged but . . . . . . . . . . . well, nuf said!!

BlueBisonRock
08-22-2011, 06:32 PM

I did not know that he played baseball? :confused: