PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 wants to pay student athletes

duluthbison
05-20-2011, 12:31 AM
What do you guys think about this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6566975

Sounds like the Big 10 wants to pay student athletes 3-5 grand more than their scholarships - to give them a larger slice of the revenue pie.

While I can see how it would be nice for student athletes to get paid since they probably have a hard time keeping a job most of the year due to school and workouts, etc. I also see a problem, what if one conference starts to pay athletes more than the other? Talk about a huge recruiting advantage!

tjbison
05-20-2011, 12:33 AM
SEC, PAC-12, Big East, BIG 12 will be right behind if this happens, which it sounds like its probably going to

Bison bison
05-20-2011, 01:17 AM
And these kids are going to retain their amateur status? what a joke.

bisonaudit
05-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Amaturism is a joke.

This is about 40 years overdue.

56BISON73
05-20-2011, 01:55 AM
And these kids are going to retain their amateur status? what a joke.

Just look at the Olympics.
Not to mention you can play professional baseball but retain your amatuer status in other sports according to the NCAA. That just reeks.

North Side
05-20-2011, 01:57 AM
They are not pro athletes, while most college kids have to work at a burger joint or waitress to pay for tuition student athletes get to play the sport they love and have partial or full tuition coverage. I guess an education isn't enough anymore? yes college football players make a ton of money for the school and thats because of the tv contracts from fans (alumni and current students) maybe the extra money should be given back to the university for other projects that benefit alumni or student boyd? I am not really sure whats a good idea. NCAA is messed up with recruiting as it is this will just cause more disorder.

56BISON73
05-20-2011, 02:08 AM
I have no problem with the schools actually paying what it costs to go to school. There are many incedental expenses that arent covered by the schollie.

ndsubison1
05-20-2011, 02:10 AM
Amaturism is a joke.

This is about 40 years overdue.

agreed. this is a great idea

The_Sicatoka
05-20-2011, 03:12 AM
Will the greater NCAA go for this, or will the superconferences break away, form their own association, and make their own rules, including this graying of the amateur/professional line.

The_Sicatoka
05-20-2011, 03:15 AM
After reading the article, here's a great big can of worms:

"Could it be limited to only revenue-producing sports?" Swofford said. "I'm not sure we would want to do it. And from a legal standpoint, how does it mesh with Title IX?"

Only revenue sports? That'll be war with the womens rights groups.

NDSUFan_Sav
05-20-2011, 06:17 AM
don't kid yourselves they're already being paid

sambini
05-20-2011, 09:20 AM
don't kid yourselves they're already being paid +++++++++++++++++++++

TheBisonator
05-20-2011, 03:30 PM
I've always wondered why people haven't brought up the idea of paying athletes in the context of a work study. I mean, in a lot of ways, these athletes are literally "working" for their university. So why not pay them something akin to what a regular student would get for working at the campus bookstore, or something like that??

I don't advocate makin it rain Benjamins on the football players, but if a football player is spending upwards of 30 hours a week (besides his classes) on practice, film, weight room, etc., why not give him a work study paycheck for 150-200 bucks a week for his services??

bisonmike2
05-20-2011, 03:40 PM
B10 can afford it. Their network is raking in the cash. And they'd probably be okay with paying non-rev sports too. This will kill other universities athletic programs. How can smaller schools and conferences compete with this? No chance. At least with the current set up there's the allusion that the smaller guys can compete. Going down this road will lead to more problems. What happens when one star starts to realize that he's getting paid 5K for making all the plays and then he realizes that the teams backup kicker or the ladies on the swim team are getting the same amount? Just one more nail in the coffin of college athletics.

Bison bison
05-20-2011, 03:49 PM
And the booster starts realizing that amateurism is dead and that his gift of a car to a player and his family really isn't as unethical as it once seemed.

onbison09
05-20-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm glad they're going to stop pretending that big time college athletes are amateurs. Maybe if it's structured instead of boosters paying the extra cash that would be good.

Grizzled
05-20-2011, 05:28 PM
This will further seperate the to BCS conferences from everyone else. The concept of 4 superconferences will become closer to reality with every decision like this.

This will change recruiting which will have a trickle down effect to all levels. Come get a full ride and sit on the bench for a season but get paid $500 a month or go somewhere will you may start right away but you aren't getting paid. Also, for those who posted that they are already getting paid, if you think this is going to stop that situation or make it any better your kidding yourself. The NCAA is a mess right now. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of it but they continue to do what they can to cater to the larger conferences.

NorthernBison
05-20-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm glad they're going to stop pretending that big time college athletes are amateurs. Maybe if it's structured instead of boosters paying the extra cash that would be good.

I really don't think there is any system that will control cheating. The competition is way to intense for that to ever become reality.

Suppose it was OK to pay players but there were limits? The "Haves" would always go over the limits to get the best talent.

What this WILL do is cut out the schools that have trouble competing. All those people wondering why the same schools are at the top of college football year after year will see LESS Boise States and TCU's in the future.

And, here's the kick in the shorts for FCS: NDSU and other FCS programs will NEVER get borderline FBS talent because the monetary difference will get larger than it is now. Why? Even the MAC schools will pay dollars over and above what NDSU will be able to afford.

Answer Guy
05-20-2011, 06:30 PM
And, here's the kick in the shorts for FCS: NDSU and other FCS programs will NEVER get borderline FBS talent because the monetary difference will get larger than it is now. Why? Even the MAC schools will pay dollars over and above what NDSU will be able to afford.

Couldn't you just ask the legislature for more money? :hide:

BadlandsBison
05-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Couldn't you just ask the legislature for more money? :hide:

We were planning on asking you first, being a huge Bison fan and all:)

TransAmBison
05-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Especially considering his youngest is graduating and no longer a drain on his funds!

But on topic...bad idea...will just make the bigtime programs all the more powerful and add more expenses to the rest of the programs...which will increase prices to the consumer...be it student or ticketholder.

bisonaudit
05-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Amatureism made some sense when the economic relationship between the institution and the student were reasonable. That relationship is no longer reasonable, it hasn't been for quite some time.

At least in our professional sports the players have some power and representation via the union in order to check the economic power of the league cartel. "Student athletes" have no such power or representation relative to the NCAA's cartel.

mebisonII
05-20-2011, 10:12 PM
I've always wondered why people haven't brought up the idea of paying athletes in the context of a work study. I mean, in a lot of ways, these athletes are literally "working" for their university. So why not pay them something akin to what a regular student would get for working at the campus bookstore, or something like that??

I don't advocate makin it rain Benjamins on the football players, but if a football player is spending upwards of 30 hours a week (besides his classes) on practice, film, weight room, etc., why not give him a work study paycheck for 150-200 bucks a week for his services??

You know, when you put it that way, I don't mind it as much. However, you'd have to drop the scholarships then, and not pay for both.

The superconferences will break away and make their own rulebook within the next 15 years.

The_Sicatoka
05-21-2011, 08:14 PM
This will kill other universities athletic programs. How can smaller schools and conferences compete with this? No chance. Isn't that the point of the Big Ten proposing it?

This is just the biggest schools looking for a place to move up to, just like Minot State moved NAIA to DII, NDSU from DII to DI (FCS), and Troy from DI FCS to DI FBS.

The_Sicatoka
05-23-2011, 03:37 PM
If they want to start paying athletes doesn't that make them professionals, and the schools (at least the athletic departments) "professional sports teams"?

If so, they would no longer be "academic" but "professional" and all their revenues would become taxable and donations to their programs would no longer be deductable for the donors.

Sounds like the Big Ten hasn't thought this through, or they are looking to help the Federal deficit (by providing new tax revenues).

EastCoastBison
05-23-2011, 03:55 PM
If they want to start paying athletes doesn't that make them professionals, and the schools (at least the athletic departments) "professional sports teams"?

If so, they would no longer be "academic" but "professional" and all their revenues would become taxable and donations to their programs would no longer be deductable for the donors.

Sounds like the Big Ten hasn't thought this through, or they are looking to help the Federal deficit (by providing new tax revenues).

Not correct at all. The discussion isn't to give student-athletes a salary, but to give them the full cost of attendence.

An example for NDSU:
http://www.ndsu.edu/admission/cost_tuition/cost/
Under the "Costs Explained" sections the websites says "Students should plan on spending approximately $1,000 per year for books and supplies and approximately $3,200 per year for personal expenses and transportation."

This is what the Big 10 is wanting to address. Currently full scholarship student athletes receive money to cover tuition, fees, limited housing and books. The scholarship does not cover any personal costs such as laundry money, tooth paste, or gas money for going home.

The Big Ten is discussing a set scale for all universities to be able to pay the true cost of attendance to the school so that student athletes can actually live without needing to take out loans, or receive money for relatives.

Sports Illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/05/20/paying-players-attendance-cost/index.html) discusses this further.

The_Sicatoka
05-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Not correct at all. The discussion isn't to give student-athletes a salary, but to give them the full cost of attendence.

If that's not offered to all "full ride" scholarships (athletic or academic), but only to athletes, you know someone will challenge it as compensation for athletic performance.

The SI article you point to already makes a slip:

Other students could easily cover those costs by getting jobs, but scholarship athletes already have full-time jobs on top of their course load.
Right there they admit they'd be compensated for athletic performance ... the whiff of professionalism, and with it comes the potential to be deemed "professional" sport leagues.

tony
05-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Maybe the BCS should split off...

It'd be the best thing, long term, for college sports because without the NCAA to hold them back, they'll go way too far and reform will follow shortly after.

Time for some schools to decide whether they're universities or athletic academies.

Answer Guy
05-23-2011, 07:25 PM

I actually do have a rather significant NDSU donation scheduled.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx89/NDACAnswerGuy/funny-pictures-hell-freezes-over-14l.jpg

BadlandsBison
05-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I actually do have a rather significant NDSU donation scheduled.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx89/NDACAnswerGuy/funny-pictures-hell-freezes-over-14l.jpg

And it just so happens I'm a die hard Sioux hockey fan:blush:

HerdBot
05-24-2011, 03:51 PM
What do you guys think about this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6566975

Sounds like the Big 10 wants to pay student athletes 3-5 grand more than their scholarships - to give them a larger slice of the revenue pie.

While I can see how it would be nice for student athletes to get paid since they probably have a hard time keeping a job most of the year due to school and workouts, etc. I also see a problem, what if one conference starts to pay athletes more than the other? Talk about a huge recruiting advantage!

I'm against CASH because that opens up the possibility of fraud. You don't think the Big Time schools will find "loopholes?" They will figure out ways to give the bigger recruits more money. Absolutely a bad idea.

I would be in favor of controllable perks like free room and boarding, food vouchers, free clothing through a team store, free books, free team barber, etc... but cash will lead to corruption. You will see smaller FBS and FCS schools get their ass handed to them.

How about take the money and build a student athlete center so they can live for essentially free? Maybe Washington could fund it since they want the government involved in everything else. (im being sarcastic)

On a smaller level... NDSU has more money than most of the FCS. Why should we be able to pay students when other schools can't afford it? It needs to be consistent.

EastCoastBison
05-25-2011, 08:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&page=wojciechowski/110525&sportCat=ncf

Another followup to the original Big Ten proposal.

ndsubison1
05-28-2011, 08:10 AM
multi-billion dollar industry. no reason bball and football athletes shouldnt be paid. when is enough enough

Twentysix
05-28-2011, 10:29 AM
What exactly would be changing. Student athletes even at NDSU already get stipends for off campus rent etc, and each student athletes monthly stipend varies, certain people get more than others.

What I read seemed to suggest students would be paid in accordance to actual cost of attending a university not over and above that cost. Meaning the big 10 couldnt offer a student 20 grand over the top unless the cost of living was accordingly higher in that area. Of course a student in a high cost of living area is going to get more money than a student living in fargo. But thats already the case...?

And the university couldnt inflate the cost explained numbers because these numbers are used in financial aid and would effect a heck of a lot more than just athletes, especially at a college like the U of M with 50,000 students.

On the table could be $2,000 to $5,000 per year per athlete for expenses such as transportation and clothing.
is the only thing i saw that suggested something outside whats being done already and it wasnt suggested by anyone other than the sports writer. Seriously though, student athletes dont get free clothes from the University? Then why do all of them wear 98% bison everything? backpacks sweat pants shirts hoodies socks hats probably underwear shorts shoes water bottles etc.

I was given free clothes on an academic visit, are there rules limiting the quantity of clothes given?

TheBisonator
05-29-2011, 08:34 PM
What exactly would be changing. Student athletes even at NDSU already get stipends for off campus rent etc, and each student athletes monthly stipend varies, certain people get more than others.

What I read seemed to suggest students would be paid in accordance to actual cost of attending a university not over and above that cost. Meaning the big 10 couldnt offer a student 20 grand over the top unless the cost of living was accordingly higher in that area. Of course a student in a high cost of living area is going to get more money than a student living in fargo. But thats already the case...?

And the university couldnt inflate the cost explained numbers because these numbers are used in financial aid and would effect a heck of a lot more than just athletes, especially at a college like the U of M with 50,000 students.

is the only thing i saw that suggested something outside whats being done already and it wasnt suggested by anyone other than the sports writer. Seriously though, student athletes dont get free clothes from the University? Then why do all of them wear 98% bison everything? backpacks sweat pants shirts hoodies socks hats probably underwear shorts shoes water bottles etc.

I was given free clothes on an academic visit, are there rules limiting the quantity of clothes given?

Bison athletic clothing is 100 percent free and plentiful for anyone involved in athletics. Hell, I was just a student manager, and I kept getting free t-shirts, hats, sweats, pullover sweatshirts thrown to me on a regular basis. We even recieved free athletic gear from our opponents most weeks. (Mostly friendly OOC opponents, not SDSU or anyone like that) I have some Northwestern State Demons stuff from back when we played them.

DjKyRo
05-30-2011, 06:12 AM
I'm generally against paying student-athletes mostly because I'm a grass-roots type guy, but I do like the idea of a student-athlete receiving a stipend from some manner of fund upon graduation. Another incentive to stick with school and contribute on more levels than just athletics to your school of choice.

Twentysix
05-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Bison athletic clothing is 100 percent free and plentiful for anyone involved in athletics. Hell, I was just a student manager, and I kept getting free t-shirts, hats, sweats, pullover sweatshirts thrown to me on a regular basis. We even recieved free athletic gear from our opponents most weeks. (Mostly friendly OOC opponents, not SDSU or anyone like that) I have some Northwestern State Demons stuff from back when we played them.

Then why would a student need 5 grand for clothes and transportation? Are they flying them to hawaii for non sports related activites?!

If anyone has a link to "real info" and not just writer speculation please post it. Seems like the writers are stirring up something thats not actually there...

56BISON73
05-30-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm against CASH because that opens up the possibility of fraud. You don't think the Big Time schools will find "loopholes?" They will figure out ways to give the bigger recruits more money. Absolutely a bad idea.

I would be in favor of controllable perks like free room and boarding, food vouchers, free clothing through a team store, free books, free team barber, etc... but cash will lead to corruption. You will see smaller FBS and FCS schools get their ass handed to them.

How about take the money and build a student athlete center so they can live for essentially free? Maybe Washington could fund it since they want the government involved in everything else. (im being sarcastic)

On a smaller level... NDSU has more money than most of the FCS. Why should we be able to pay students when other schools can't afford it? It needs to be consistent.

You dont think fraud and corruption run rampant now? At least this way they cut out the middle man on the payments. They already have supposedly free tuition,room, board and books.
If I remember correctly student athletes are some how restricted from hold jobs during the school year. Plus the NCAA has earning limits on what they can make during the summer.
So the best option is for the school to pay for the total cost of attendance. It will be less stressful for many families.

NorthernBison
05-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Total effect this would have on curruption and cheating? Absolutely ZERO.

The GOOD results? Student athletes get a bigger piece of the pie and their scholarship more truly reflects the total cost of school.

The potentially negative result? I don't know, I guess the gap between the big schools and conferences will expand. The reality is that the big conferences want to bury the mid-majors and they eventually will. I don't see any way to avoid that eventuality.

HerdBot
05-30-2011, 07:07 PM
You dont think fraud and corruption run rampant now? At least this way they cut out the middle man on the payments. They already have supposedly free tuition,room, board and books.
If I remember correctly student athletes are some how restricted from hold jobs during the school year. Plus the NCAA has earning limits on what they can make during the summer.
So the best option is for the school to pay for the total cost of attendance. It will be less stressful for many families.

Corruption is already bad, I agree. Now you have Tressel and Ohio State. I don't think it would cut out the middle man. It would just add an additional layer of corruption. Now you have the schools and businesses commiting fraud... Rhet Bomar style plus paying the players a salary. These big schools are ultra greedy. The only way to eliminate corruption is to hold athletic departments criminally liable and hold the involved people to giant fines. Im talking hundreds of thousands. If these guys face jail time its going to change everything.

tony
05-30-2011, 07:20 PM
If their budgets weren't already so far in the red, then maybe this would make sense.

Institutions are going to have to decide what their mission is... if it's to be a minor league pro franchise, then that's one thing but, if it's not, this is a ridiculous idea.

If schools say that it is time to pay college athletes, then I take that as a sign that it is time for them to severe the relationship between themselves and, for example, their football programs. UND hockey is a prime example of an athletic program controlling a university.

56BISON73
05-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Corruption is already bad, I agree. Now you have Tressel and Ohio State. I don't think it would cut out the middle man. It would just add an additional layer of corruption. Now you have the schools and businesses commiting fraud... Rhet Bomar style plus paying the players a salary. These big schools are ultra greedy. The only way to eliminate corruption is to hold athletic departments criminally liable and hold the involved people to giant fines. Im talking hundreds of thousands. If these guys face jail time its going to change everything.

The problem is what is going on isnt against the law. But is against NCAA rules. Unless you now want the govt to start making laws regarding interscholastic sports.

tony
05-30-2011, 07:33 PM
The problem is what is going on isnt against the law. But is against NCAA rules. Unless you now want the govt to start making laws regarding interscholastic sports.

I say if schools start paying athletes, then they are no longer schools; they are athletic academies and, as such, they don't deserve a single dollar of federal money.

Actually, I think that's pretty mmuch what would happen if the BCS schools break off from the NCAA; they'll create a system so out of line with their missions that they'll get bitch slapped back to something more like D3 than DI.

HerdBot
05-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Good point. I guess I'm not a big fan of big brother stepping in either but there has to be some where in between. With all the money at stake it just seems like it's fraud. How about eliminating all scholarships for 1 year did the team is caught cheating? Even better how about 3 years.

56BISON73
05-30-2011, 08:02 PM
I say if schools start paying athletes, then they are no longer schools; they are athletic academies and, as such, they don't deserve a single dollar of federal money.
Actually, I think that's pretty mmuch what would happen if the BCS schools break off from the NCAA; they'll create a system so out of line with their missions that they'll get bitch slapped back to something more like D3 than DI.

They are already being paid per se.

Answer Guy
05-30-2011, 08:16 PM

In theory, do you see this as different from paying an academic scholarship student to do work-study at the library?

tony
05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
They are already being paid per se.

Not the way I see things. I got academic aid (scholarships, etc) but didn't consider it being paid. You know how I knew the difference? I didn't have to pay taxes on it.

If the BCS schools start paying athletes, then I think every form of athlete compensation should be taxed. For example, give them free shoes? Better withhold FICA, Medicare, state income tax, and federal income tax. In addition, schools should have to start paying Workers Comp and unemployment insurance. Heck, the scholarship benefit itself should be taxed. If Big 10 schools want to start pro franchises, fine, but they shouldn't be expected to be treated differently than other businesses. Moreover, they should get ZERO dollars in institutional support and should have to pay fair market rent on any and all university facilities they use. Let's see what their Profit & Loss Statement looks like after that.

If people are right about how much money these programs are making then it should be no problem.

HerdBot
05-30-2011, 09:59 PM

Or state money. Taxpayers basically pay for much of schools except for private schools like harvard

tony
05-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Or state money. Taxpayers basically pay for much of schools except for private schools like harvard

I'm pretty sure that schools get a ton of federal money (even Ivy League ones.) Harvard, for example, got $600 million in Federal funding in 2010 (tip of the iceberg, in fact, since they get indirect federal support in a lot of different ways.)

I don't see the state ever cutting off funding - athletics trumps academics all the time in North Dakota's state legislature, and I don't think the ND legislature is that much more spectacularly stupid than those in other states. Heck, look at Minnesota, a couple billion for pro sports arenas (for franchises that will leave the second it looks like they can get a better state subsidy elsewhere) while they are cutting education funding all over the place. Soooo, even if Ohio State's football or UND's hockey became minor league franchises, they'd still probably feed from the state's trough.

Twentysix
05-31-2011, 12:04 AM

An example for NDSU:
http://www.ndsu.edu/admission/cost_tuition/cost/
Under the "Costs Explained" sections the websites says "Students should plan on spending approximately $1,000 per year for books and supplies and approximately $3,200 per year for personal expenses and transportation."

This is what the Big 10 is wanting to address. Currently full scholarship student athletes receive money to cover tuition, fees, limited housing and books. The scholarship does not cover any personal costs such as laundry money, tooth paste, or gas money for going home.

The Big Ten is discussing a set scale for all universities to be able to pay the true cost of attendance to the school so that student athletes can actually live without needing to take out loans, or receive money for relatives.

Sports Illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/05/20/paying-players-attendance-cost/index.html) discusses this further.

That's exactly what I was talking about.

56BISON73
05-31-2011, 04:22 AM
Not the way I see things. I got academic aid (scholarships, etc) but didn't consider it being paid. You know how I knew the difference? I didn't have to pay taxes on it.

If the BCS schools start paying athletes, then I think every form of athlete compensation should be taxed. For example, give them free shoes? Better withhold FICA, Medicare, state income tax, and federal income tax. In addition, schools should have to start paying Workers Comp and unemployment insurance. Heck, the scholarship benefit itself should be taxed. If Big 10 schools want to start pro franchises, fine, but they shouldn't be expected to be treated differently than other businesses. Moreover, they should get ZERO dollars in institutional support and should have to pay fair market rent on any and all university facilities they use. Let's see what their Profit & Loss Statement looks like after that.

If people are right about how much money these programs are making then it should be no problem.

Being given a benefit as in---the total cost of attendace isnt any different than receiving money for incedentals while on road trips.

NorthernBison
05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Being given a benefit as in---the total cost of attendace isnt any different than receiving money for incedentals while on road trips.

I agree. Just don't let anybody tell you this would solve any of the cheating. Budgets will get bigger but nothing else will really change.

56BISON73
05-31-2011, 02:12 PM
I agree. Just don't let anybody tell you this would solve any of the cheating. Budgets will get bigger but nothing else will really change.

Correct. The big stars will still get their payouts under the table. But at least now the rest of the players wont struggle as much and wont have the excuses about no money to break the rules.

HerdBot
06-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Correct. The big stars will still get their payouts under the table. But at least now the rest of the players wont struggle as much and wont have the excuses about no money to break the rules.

Yeah I think you changed my opinion as long as all teams have an equal dollar amount and its the same in the fbs and fcs. Otherwise we will get destroyed in recruiting vs low end fbs conferences. Right now we can compete against MAC schools but if suddenly they can pay students cash we will never win those battles. The big ten will get our top players to walk on with promises of a salary.

56BISON73
06-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Yeah I think you changed my opinion as long as all teams have an equal dollar amount and its the same in the fbs and fcs. Otherwise we will get destroyed in recruiting vs low end fbs conferences. Right now we can compete against MAC schools but if suddenly they can pay students cash we will never win those battles. The big ten will get our top players to walk on with promises of a salary.

I think you have missed the basic intent of the proposal. Walkons will still be walkons so nothing will come there way. There is no salary PAID to anyone.
Books,tuition,room and board will be taken care of as usual. They will find a system that works so the players will be compensated for the other costs of attendence.
Iam sure there is still much work to done on compensation levels dependent on the COL for a certain area etc. Plus there will be different levels for different division levels of play.

TransAmBison
06-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I think you have missed the basic intent of the proposal. Walkons will still be walkons so nothing will come there way. There is no salary PAID to anyone.
Books,tuition,room and board will be taken care of as usual. They will find a system that works so the players will be compensated for the other costs of attendence.
Iam sure there is still much work to done on compensation levels dependent on the COL for a certain area etc. Plus there will be different levels for different division levels of play.
Yes, some need a reliable mode of transportation. I hear a Lexus is good and reliable.

NorthernBison
06-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Actually, this isn't even really a proposal. It was thrown out there to generate discussion. It is likely a very long way from actually being implemented. The Presidents would have to approve a system change like this and that might be a tough sell.

bisonmike2
06-01-2011, 07:37 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about.

You know 3,200 bucks would be enough to buy the entire starting offensive and defensive line at THE Ohio State university one late model car each.

CAS4127
06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Apparently Ohio State was just the test-tube baby for this project. Tressel will be withdrawing his resignation, no suspensions for anybody, and the NCAA will not only agree with what occurred, but pass a resolution that Ohio State must play for th NC next year!!!

The_Sicatoka
06-02-2011, 04:26 PM
And now the SEC chimes in (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Spurrier-proposes-paying-players-from-coach-821?urn=ncaaf-wp2108) ...

... on Wednesday at the SEC meetings in Destin, Fla., Spurrier proposed that coaches give scholarship players $300 per game from their own pockets. The money, Spurrier said, would be for game expenses.

This is where the rest of us chuckle and say " ... haven't they been doing that under the table in the SEC for years?" :rimshot:

ndsubison1
06-18-2011, 06:28 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=bilas_jay&id=6672831

For those that dont have insider, here's a good part of the article:

I don't believe college athletes should be paid as employees. Rather, I believe barriers should be removed that limit an athlete from receiving fair compensation for his or her image and likeness. There is no legitimate reason why a college athlete should be denied the opportunity to enter into legitimate, legally binding contracts to, among other things, hire an agent, do paid appearances, appear in advertisements, endorse shoes and apparel or otherwise profit from their names and likenesses. It would not sink college sports, substantially limit the NCAA's massive television profits or negatively affect the education of the athletes or any other student. It would simply be fair

Bison bison
06-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Other than the fact that they are amateurs.

HerdBot
06-18-2011, 08:55 PM
If the Bison can pay a kid the same as Ohio State Im cool with it. It would be an advantage for us because we have the means to do it better than most FCS schools. Were talking about more quality players.

56BISON73
06-18-2011, 09:17 PM
If the Bison can pay a kid the same as Ohio State Im cool with it. It would be an advantage for us because we have the means to do it better than most FCS schools. Were talking about more quality players.

Expenses at OSU is going to be different than Fargo. So compensation will probably be different.

bisonaudit
06-20-2011, 05:23 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=bilas_jay&id=6672831

For those that dont have insider, here's a good part of the article:

They don't want them paid like employees because the next thing that comes is that they'll want to organize, as all public employees in every state (except Wisconsin) presently have the right to do.

Amaturism is a farce and it was exposed as such at least as early as the 1972 Olympics (thank you Steve Prefontaine) and has been slowly eroding ever since.

Maybe giving up the licensing is a viable interim step.

56BISON73
06-20-2011, 10:04 PM
They don't want them paid like employees because the next thing that comes is that they'll want to organize, as all public employees in every state (except Wisconsin) presently have the right to do.

Amaturism is a farce and it was exposed as such at least as early as the 1972 Olympics (thank you Steve Prefontaine) and has been slowly eroding ever since.

Its been a farce much longer than that. Think---the old Soviet bloc countries.

bisonaudit
06-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Its been a farce much longer than that. Think---the old Soviet bloc countries.

Of course, but none of those countries were pretending to be capitalists.

onbison09
06-20-2011, 11:42 PM

I remember on the Fab Five the players in the men's tournament were talking about a strike. Obviously it didn't happen but it makes you wonder. I'm sure they would pull scholarships and then it would stop.

Twentysix
07-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Wow i was digging through ncaa rules and just found an amendment to bylaw 16.8.1.6 apparently the school was allowed to give a football player in a bowl game $20 a day for food and drinks and stuff, for up to 10 days. That is not very much scratch, you couldnt even get a decent hooker in waterloo for that kinda money.

Luckily the SEC amended the bylaw to $55 dollars a day.

Here is another good one:

Rationale: Currently, institutions may provide off-campus housing for their football teams at local
hotels the evening prior to a home game. Precluding such lodging will result in a substantial cost
savings. Institutions will no longer incur the lodging expenses, the cost of transporting the team to
and from the hotel and venue, and other hotel related expenses for game day preparation,
including the use of meeting rooms.
Estimated Budget Impact: Projected saving of $140,000 to $150,000 per year.

Is that because some of the players live in other cities??? lmao. I guess it helps teams win if they stay in a Holiday in Express before the game, even if its a home game.

EndZoneQB
07-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Wow i was digging through ncaa rules and just found an amendment to bylaw 16.8.1.6 apparently the school was allowed to give a football player in a bowl game $20 a day for food and drinks and stuff, for up to 10 days. That is not very much scratch, you couldnt even get a decent hooker in waterloo for that kinda money.

Luckily the SEC amended the bylaw to $55 dollars a day.

Here is another good one:

Rationale: Currently, institutions may provide off-campus housing for their football teams at local
hotels the evening prior to a home game. Precluding such lodging will result in a substantial cost
savings. Institutions will no longer incur the lodging expenses, the cost of transporting the team to
and from the hotel and venue, and other hotel related expenses for game day preparation,
including the use of meeting rooms.
Estimated Budget Impact: Projected saving of $140,000 to $150,000 per year.

Is that because some of the players live in other cities??? lmao. I guess it helps teams win if they stay in a Holiday in Express before the game, even if its a home game.

No....if you stay in a hotel with your team they have better control over curfew, etc. Plus, team bonding is a HUGE deal and having everyone arrive at the stadium at the same time is also beneficial.

Twentysix
07-13-2011, 02:44 AM
No....if you stay in a hotel with your team they have better control over curfew, etc. Plus, team bonding is a HUGE deal and having everyone arrive at the stadium at the same time is also beneficial.

I guess that makes sense. $150,000 seems pretty steep for homegame boarding though.

EndZoneQB
07-13-2011, 03:15 AM
I guess that makes sense. $150,000 seems pretty steep for homegame boarding though.

Oh, it definitely is...but when you're a cash cow for the school, $150k isn't a drop in the bucket.

duluthbison
07-14-2011, 02:22 AM
This whole discussion reminds me of this awesome south park episode.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e05-crack-baby-athletic-association