PDA

View Full Version : Any new jucos coming

bison boy
05-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Any new Jucos or transfers coming in this fall ?

HerdBot
05-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Any new Jucos or transfers coming in this fall ?

Haven't heard anything. I think the only need is a 300+ pound run stopping nose tackle in the mold of Dwight Summerville. Who knows with Moehler forfeiting his scholarship it may open up a spot? Its kind of late in the year to find a guy who will make an immediate impact since they missed spring ball already. Maybe we luck out and find a big fella who plays in the Tampa 2 scheme.

Castor Troy
05-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Haven't heard anything. I think the only need is a 300+ pound run stopping nose tackle in the mold of Dwight Summerville. Who knows with Moehler forfeiting his scholarship it may open up a spot? Its kind of late in the year to find a guy who will make an immediate impact since they missed spring ball already. Maybe we luck out and find a big fella who plays in the Tampa 2 scheme.

Isn't this the subject of lots of discussion on B'ville?

It makes sense to me, but there are plenty of schools in the MVC that do just fine without an aircraft carrier in the middle.

HerdBot
05-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Isn't this the subject of lots of discussion on B'ville?

It makes sense to me, but there are plenty of schools in the MVC that do just fine without an aircraft carrier in the middle.

Northern Iowa Depth Chart

NT
Kinney- 6-3, 290
Admire- 6'3, 290
or Gonnering 6'5, 312

DT
Lane - 6'4, 290
Hadenfeldt 6'3, 257

These guys are monsters. Not a good matchup for our run it up the gut approach.

WESTERN ILLINOIS
starters
280 and 300

Both teams made the playoffs and kicked our ass last year.

SIU runs a 3/4

We don't have anyone built like Gratzek anymore. Were not small but we rely more on quickness. Last year Gratzel had size and quickness.

THE HERD
05-18-2011, 09:37 PM

Summerville was a stud! I wish we had him to throw into the mix at D-line or Frick would be another one. I thought Frick would stick in the NFL, but I believe he got the free agent contract with the Bucs, but was cut......anyone know for sure? He was a south dakota boy too I believe. Summerville was from a juco in Alabama or something like that right?

HerdBot
05-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Summerville was a stud! I wish we had him to throw into the mix at D-line or Frick would be another one. I thought Frick would stick in the NFL, but I believe he got the free agent contract with the Bucs, but was cut......anyone know for sure? He was a south dakota boy too I believe. Summerville was from a juco in Alabama or something like that right?

Mississippi.

How about the 320 lb Rodney Thompson?

OtterTailLakeBison
05-19-2011, 03:30 AM
Northern Iowa Depth Chart

NT
Kinney- 6-3, 290
Admire- 6'3, 290
or Gonnering 6'5, 312

DT
Lane - 6'4, 290
Hadenfeldt 6'3, 257

These guys are monsters. Not a good matchup for our run it up the gut approach.

WESTERN ILLINOIS
starters
280 and 300

Both teams made the playoffs and kicked our ass last year.

SIU runs a 3/4

We don't have anyone built like Gratzek anymore. Were not small but we rely more on quickness. Last year Gratzel had size and quickness.

Since NDSU runs variation of Tampa 2, DL have one gap responsibility and goal is penetration to disrupt. Thus while it would be great to have a run stopping plug in the middle, the scheme doesn't require a plug. The disadvantage is susceptibility to off-tackle runs.

HerdBot
05-19-2011, 07:01 AM
Since NDSU runs variation of Tampa 2, DL have one gap responsibility and goal is penetration to disrupt. Thus while it would be great to have a run stopping plug in the middle, the scheme doesn't require a plug. The disadvantage is susceptibility to off-tackle runs.

I think our top 3 guys are good but after that we're in tough shape if we get an injury. I love the walk on Fargo guys but do we want to rely on Luecke who is coming off a knee injury, weights 250 pounds, and is playing tackle after being moved from end?

I get the fact we don't need a 310 pounder... that's why I said we depend more on quickness. But it's better to be huge and quick vs just quick. At least if your huge you can overpower someone if you can't bust through the line with speed. Worst case we can put a fatty in on obvious run situations.

But the thing is... as long as the guys put on some more muscle before the season starts we'll be in good shape. They need it so they an hold up over a full season. Drevlow - 6'4 268, Perry - 6'3 275 Jukem 6'4 282

bison boy
05-19-2011, 12:49 PM
great info . thanks :)