PDA

View Full Version : New Head Coach???

TheDoctor
05-18-2011, 03:11 AM
Any guesses who will replace Bucky as the head coach? Obviously Brett and Kish have to be given serious consideration. I would guess Troy Steiner's name will have get thrown into the mix at some point. He is a VERY accomplished wrestler/coach and I have heard he would like to get back to North Dakota. His bio:

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/steiner_troy00.html

ndsubison1
05-18-2011, 03:34 AM
Steiner is my choice

herdmember
05-18-2011, 03:37 AM
Heard there may be interest from Marty Morgan:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=263461

SlickVic
05-18-2011, 03:48 AM
B maughn all the way class act just like his father

Bison Dan
05-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Hard call for Gene.. Sometimes it's good to bring in new blood to a program, but Brett has to be right up there.

aces1180
05-18-2011, 01:13 PM
What about the coach from UNO? He has some free time now.

Tatanka
05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
What about the coach from UNO? He has some free time now.

not so much. He's starting up a wrestling program at Maryville university in st louis.

Notorious
05-18-2011, 02:05 PM
not so much. He's starting up a wrestling program at Maryville university in st louis.

You mean the "U"...?

Check that...you said Maryville, not Mary.

What about Bob Backlund?

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/207/029/738/g_bob-backlund-1976-1983-13-dvd-set-1-00-s-h-in-usa-eaee2.jpg

aces1180
05-18-2011, 02:29 PM

I did not know that...

TheDoctor
05-18-2011, 03:08 PM
You mean the "U"...?

Check that...you said Maryville, not Mary.

What about Bob Backlund?

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/207/029/738/g_bob-backlund-1976-1983-13-dvd-set-1-00-s-h-in-usa-eaee2.jpg

Good call! Bob is actually heavily connected from his wrestling days....the opening dual next year may just include a steel cage match with The Undertaker! :rofl: ;)

onbison09
05-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Any guesses who will replace Bucky as the head coach? Obviously Brett and Kish have to be given serious consideration. I would guess Troy Steiner's name will have get thrown into the mix at some point. He is a VERY accomplished wrestler/coach and I have heard he would like to get back to North Dakota. His bio:

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/steiner_troy00.html

That would be badass.

Castor Troy
05-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Heard there may be interest from Marty Morgan:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=263461

This is the answer right here! I am not sure how much interest he will have since he stepped away from the Gophers and that is a top tier job.

Marty is an intense bad ass that would will his team to victory. He's also extremely likeable and funny.

I think we should go this direction instead of the Maughn boys or any existing assistant.

aces1180
05-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Would Mogran really leave DeathClutch? Lesnar pays him big bucks to be his head trainer...I doubt NDSU could pay him that much.

99Bison
05-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Would Mogran really leave DeathClutch? Lesnar pays him big bucks to be his head trainer...I doubt NDSU could pay him that much.

Seems highly doubtful at first look. Beyond making more $, you get to deal mostly with training and competition instead of so many office duties, recruiting, academics, etc... Then again, I have no idea why he left MN or anything about the dude.

onbison09
05-18-2011, 08:37 PM

I doubt it. I kind of wonder how much longer Brock's gonna do MMA because of the diverticulitis. But he'd probably still train the other guys. Plus I'm sure Brock pays him tons of money for being his trainer and on the Ultimate Fighter and stuff like that. But ya never know. I wouldn't complain.

Castor Troy
05-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Seems highly doubtful at first look. Beyond making more $, you get to deal mostly with training and competition instead of so many office duties, recruiting, academics, etc... Then again, I have no idea why he left MN or anything about the dude.

If DeathClutch is just Lesnar, then I would say that the company is living on borrowed time. I am not sure how long a career Brock is going to have.

Marty loves the Bison. He left because he always wanted to wrestle with his brother Gordy at the U of M. Heck, maybe his other brother and 4-time Bison All-American John Morgan might be interested. I'd take either one of them.

aces1180
05-18-2011, 09:00 PM
If DeathClutch is just Lesnar, then I would say that the company is living on borrowed time. I am not sure how long a career Brock is going to have.

Marty loves the Bison. He left because he always wanted to wrestle with his brother Gordy at the U of M. Heck, maybe his other brother and 4-time Bison All-American John Morgan might be interested. I'd take either one of them.

It's not just Lesnar...There is a group of heavyweights who train out of that gym.

onbison09
05-18-2011, 09:02 PM
It's not just Lesnar...There is a group of heavyweights who train out of that gym.

Yeah but none of the rest of the guys are that good.

Notorious
05-18-2011, 09:02 PM

So they ALL have something in common....

aces1180
05-18-2011, 09:05 PM

I don't follow close enough to know, so I'll take your word on it.

onbison09
05-19-2011, 03:41 AM
So they ALL have something in common....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bison55
05-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Marty won't leave Lesnar? OK, bring them both here to coach! :biggrin:

onbison09
05-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Marty won't leave Lesnar? OK, bring them both here to coach! :biggrin:

No thank you :uhyeah:

Bison55
05-19-2011, 08:04 PM
I know it's far fetched, but IMO recruiting would get better, attendance would get better, and the team would get better.

onbison09
05-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I know it's far fetched, but IMO recruiting would get better, attendance would get better, and the team would get better.

Honestly I don't think we could throw enough money at Brock to get him to come. I don't even think he'd want to coach. But on a serious note, what about Roger Kish?

Bison55
05-19-2011, 08:15 PM
yeah, good point. I am sure we couldn't pay him near enough $

I think Kish is a solid candidate. I wonder if we need a more well known name though to take the team to the next level in terms of recruiting?

Wouldn't it be cool to get someone like an Anthony Robles to coach here. wow what a boost to the program by brining in someone like that.

onbison09
05-19-2011, 09:26 PM
yeah, good point. I am sure we couldn't pay him near enough $

I think Kish is a solid candidate. I wonder if we need a more well known name though to take the team to the next level in terms of recruiting?

Wouldn't it be cool to get someone like an Anthony Robles to coach here. wow what a boost to the program by brining in someone like that.

Hell why don't we just convince Dan Gable to come out of retirement? :D

EDIT: Bucky's already on it: Q: Who would you like to see succeed you? A: “Dan Gable if he wanted to come out of retirement.” :rofl:

onbison09
05-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Kish and Bret said they would apply. GT said it would be pretty quick http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/320183/group/Sports/

TheDoctor
05-20-2011, 07:19 PM
I have from a good source that that Marty IS interested. No clue if he has applied though. This could get interesting as he, Steiner, Brett, and Kish are all strong candidates. ;)

onbison09
05-20-2011, 07:24 PM
I have from a good source that that Marty IS interested. No clue if he has applied though. This could get interesting as he, Steiner, Brett, and Kish are all strong candidates. ;)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ :judges:

TheDoctor
05-20-2011, 09:33 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ :judges:

I will one better that one and confirm from a close source to Steiner that you will see him on the list of applicants. ;)

onbison09
05-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Keep the news coming Doctor!

BadlandsBison
05-21-2011, 02:27 AM
These are some great names being thrown around!

TheDoctor
05-21-2011, 05:05 AM
Brett, Roger, Steiner for sure applied ...Marty VERY interested. That is what is confirmed so far. Gene was looking for a quick hire. Wondering how quick it will be now with so much qualified interest. ;)

BlueBisonRock
05-21-2011, 05:15 AM
Brett, Roger, Steiner for sure applied ...Marty VERY interested. That is what is confirmed so far. Gene was looking for a quick hire. Wondering how quick it will be now withstood much qualified interest. ;)

This level of interest says a lot for the quality of the program.

TheDoctor
05-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Steiner:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/321136/group/Sports/

onbison09
05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Is there a place we can see the applicants? And it's Steiner unless something unforeseen happens

Castor Troy
05-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Is there a place we can see the applicants? And it's Steiner unless something unforeseen happens

Are you privy to some info or are you just voicing your opinion on the best candidate?

Out of the names tossed around here (B. Maughn, Kish, Steiner, Morgan) it is my opinion that Marty Morgan would be the best fit for the Bison.

onbison09
05-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Are you privy to some info or are you just voicing your opinion on the best candidate?

Out of the names tossed around here (B. Maughn, Kish, Steiner, Morgan) it is my opinion that Marty Morgan would be the best fit for the Bison.

Nope totally my opinion. :hide: And I agree about Marty but I didn't see him mentioned in the Forum article. Are the apps closed?

BisoninNWMN
05-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Steiner and Morgan would be great hires. Hopefully GT takes one of the two.

Buck0
05-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Would also like to throw in former Bison assistant, Pete Isais. Pete is current Director of National Events for USA Wrestling. Pete would have many recruiting contacts with all the wrestling events he is in charge of. He has a very good job now though in Colorado Springs,Co., his home state.

calelars24
06-05-2011, 05:25 AM
We need a "true D1 level coach with name recognition" Troy Steiner gives us that, Kish should be retained as an assistant. With Steiner at the helm we could get athletes that are all american ready, without needing to be coached up for three or four years

rutlandbison
06-12-2011, 02:55 PM
So who do we know is actually interested in the job? Is our wrestling program that good to attract some of the names being thrown around here?

roadwarrior
06-15-2011, 11:27 AM
More names surface...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/323470/group/Sports/

EndZoneQB
06-15-2011, 12:37 PM
More names surface...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/323470/group/Sports/

Wow, Morgan. Didn't most people think that was highly unlikely? Do that many people want to be the coach of NDSU wrestling?

onbison09
06-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Marty Marty Marty Marty Marty Marty (that looked a lot better in caps lock. I guess not everyone can be Lakes)

jsay34
06-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Bono would be a good fit. Don't disregard him because of Morgan's ties to NDSU. He is super intense and had a great collegiate career. He also proved he can win as a head coach.

I certainly have nothing against Morgan, but I'd like to see Bono get the job.

onbison09
06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I think we're in a very good position right now (TWSS)

56BISON73
06-15-2011, 11:12 PM
I think we're in a very good position right now (TWSS)

Great quality of candidates.

Bryan
06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
With Lesner's future in MMA in limbo and Robinson at MN saying he has no plans to step down anytime soon, Marty has to look out for himself and if he wants a regional head coaching job, which he does, then this will be his best opportunity. I think if Brock was healthy and commanding the huge paydays he was getting, then it would be a different story for Marty but now that he has been hit with this illness for the second time, I'm not sure how long you can rely on that job. He's certainly made a ton of money off Brock the past few years but if he wants a more steady and guaranteed job, NDSU makes perfect sense.

KC Bison
06-17-2011, 01:42 AM
Have to wonder how Brock will handle things after the bad beating he took last time out.

SlickVic
06-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Have to wonder how Brock will handle things after the bad beating he took last time out.

I'd like to see brock step into a boxing ring with Dr. Klitchko I'd put the over under on that at 30 seconds srsly that last ufc fight of his was an embarrassment

calelars24
06-17-2011, 03:31 AM
There are a lot of people interested in becoming our coach because...
1.In the midwest and the talent pool is deep in the midwest.
2.NDSU is a fully funded program, max scholarships, Bucky has a good endowment fund going as well.
3.Soon to be renovated facility that should be very nice for a D1 program.
4.Bison have a decent roster, so the cupboard isn't bare, been fairly close to getting an all american in the last couple years.
5.NDSU also hosts a very good open tournament early in the season that a big name coach with connections in D1 could possibly bring a top 25 team or two in to participate.

Tatanka
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
There are a lot of people interested in becoming our coach because...
1.In the midwest and the talent pool is deep in the midwest.
2.NDSU is a fully funded program, max scholarships, Bucky has a good endowment fund going as well.
3.Soon to be renovated facility that should be very nice for a D1 program.
4.Bison have a decent roster, so the cupboard isn't bare, been fairly close to getting an all american in the last couple years.
5.NDSU also hosts a very good open tournament early in the season that a big name coach with connections in D1 could possibly bring a top 25 team or two in to participate.

6. USA wrestling tournament held on campus annually

onbison09
06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
I'd like to see brock step into a boxing ring with Dr. Klitchko I'd put the over under on that at 30 seconds srsly that last ufc fight of his was an embarrassment

What are you talking about? The duck your head and swing randomly method is the best I thought

calelars24
06-22-2011, 01:02 AM
6. USA wrestling tournament held on campus annually

Yep, great point, hadn't thought of that one

roadwarrior
06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
3 finalists:

Roger Kish - current NDSU assistant
Robbie Waller - head coach Lockhaven PA
Tony Ersland - Nebraska assistant

On campus interviews start today.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/324941/group/homepage/

EndZoneQB
06-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Is the list of finalists a surprise to anyone?

Castor Troy
06-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Is the list of finalists a surprise to anyone?

Kish is not a surprise since I assumed he was brought on to be heir apparent anyway. I was surprised when I heard that Steiner didn't make the cut, but after seeing who they did select it makes sense.

Ersland looks like he was a solid assistant but has never been a head coach. And Waller was a stud on the mat and was in the process of building a program at Lock Haven. He also has connections in Oklahoma and Missouri, which are wrestling hotbeds.

I would be happy with any of these guys. Whoever has charisma, intensity, and a commitment to excellence is my guy.

TheDoctor
06-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Roger Kish would be a fine selection. He is a great coach and has D1 connections all around the Midwest. ;)

calelars24
06-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Hope I'm wrong, but I think this was an epic failure by NDSU.:facepalm:

Castor Troy
06-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Hope I'm wrong, but I think this was an epic failure by NDSU.:facepalm:

How so? By not choosing Steiner as a finalist? I would take all 3 of these guys before Steiner.

BisoninNWMN
06-28-2011, 11:17 AM
How so? By not choosing Steiner as a finalist? I would take all 3 of these guys before Steiner.

Why?

Those 3 must have pretty impressive resumes when Troy Steiner does not even make the final 3 cut. Steiner has an impressive wrestling resume also.

I would've chosen Steiner but that is probably because I saw him wrestle in HS and college. But that is probably not the best criteria for chosing a coach...those other 3 must be pretty darn good candidates.

onbison09
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Why?

Those 3 must have pretty impressive resumes when Troy Steiner does not even make the final 3 cut. Steiner has an impressive wrestling resume also.

I would've chosen Steiner but that is probably because I saw him wrestle in HS and college. But that is probably not the best criteria for chosing a coach...those other 3 must be pretty darn good candidates.

+++++++++++++++++++++ We need to at least give the other guys a chance for God's sake.

Bison Dan
06-28-2011, 02:16 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++ We need to at least give the other guys a chance for God's sake.

They did - they had a phone interview.

RedRiver
06-28-2011, 02:20 PM

Yes, six finalists had phone interviews and those were narrowed down to these three.

AmberValley
06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Steiner must have had a bad day and bad phone interview. The wrestling community thought it would be hands down between him and Morgan. Any word on why Morgan backed out?

Steiner or Morgan would have a huge impact on recruiting. You got to be able to get through the interview though before you can land the job.

I was hoping our program would improve in the next 5 years. I'm feeling pessimistic. I hope I am proven wrong.

It's amazing what a good coach can do. Case in point, Clay Nagel, Concordia Colllege. Within 2 years, you saw a turnaround of the program. Within 4 years, they were nationally ranked. Before Clay Nagel's arrival the wresting program was a laughing stock.

roadwarrior
06-28-2011, 03:37 PM
The three finalists all come from powerhouse wrestling programs. I would think any of them would be able to move the NDSU wrestling program forward.

onbison09
06-28-2011, 05:40 PM

I mean the eventual coach. I'm a little miffed too but we'll see. GT has done good in pretty much everything he has done here.

onbison09
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Steiner must have had a bad day and bad phone interview. The wrestling community thought it would be hands down between him and Morgan. Any word on why Morgan backed out?

Steiner or Morgan would have a huge impact on recruiting. You got to be able to get through the interview though before you can land the job.

I was hoping our program would improve in the next 5 years. I'm feeling pessimistic. I hope I am proven wrong.

It's amazing what a good coach can do. Case in point, Clay Nagel, Concordia Colllege. Within 2 years, you saw a turnaround of the program. Within 4 years, they were nationally ranked. Before Clay Nagel's arrival the wresting program was a laughing stock.
Pure guess here but I would guess he decided to stay on with Death Clutch and Brock

aces1180
06-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Pure guess here but I would guess he decided to stay on with Death Clutch and Brock

I agree...Even if Brock has to retire soon, Death Clutch is a pretty popular gym now, especially with the exposure it received on TUF.

jsay34
06-28-2011, 11:11 PM
The three finalists all come from powerhouse wrestling programs. I would think any of them would be able to move the NDSU wrestling program forward.

I wouldn't consider Nebraska and Lockhaven powerhouses. They are solid, but far from elite.

onbison09
06-28-2011, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't consider Nebraska and Lockhaven powerhouses. They are solid, but far from elite.

You could say the same thing about Oregon State

jsay34
06-28-2011, 11:31 PM
You could say the same thing about Oregon State

I would agree.

Bisonwinagn
06-28-2011, 11:44 PM
I would consider teams that are consistently in the Top 20 as powerhouses. Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Northwestern. My vote is the guy from Oklahoma and hopefully he would help petition the Big 12 to add the Bison.

Kish just finished his second year at NDSU. Waller just finished his second year as the Lockhaven head coach. Prior to that, he was the top assistant at the University of Oklahoma from 2005-09.

calelars24
06-28-2011, 11:46 PM

Looking at the bios, I don't know how you could say any of the final three have better bios than Steiner.

calelars24
06-28-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm gonna call a spade a spade and say that Bucky influenced hard to get Kish as a finalist so he can slide Kish into the job. Kish is Buckys yes man and he'll try to slide Bret into the assistants job yet again as well.

BadlandsBison
06-29-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm gonna call a spade a spade and say that Bucky influenced hard to get Kish as a finalist so he can slide Kish into the job. Kish is Buckys yes man and he'll try to slide Bret into the assistants job yet again as well.

His yes man? Ok hold on, I think Gene Taylor can see right through that kinda BS. Besides, I remember reading that the wrestlers really like Kish. They said he made them feel "Like they couldn't loose."

calelars24
06-29-2011, 12:43 AM
You don't think Bucky has some pretty good influence?

onbison09
06-29-2011, 12:48 AM
I would consider teams that are consistently in the Top 20 as powerhouses. Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Northwestern. My vote is the guy from Oklahoma and hopefully he would help petition the Big 12 to add the Bison.

Kish just finished his second year at NDSU. Waller just finished his second year as the Lockhaven head coach. Prior to that, he was the top assistant at the University of Oklahoma from 2005-09.

Why exactly would they pick us? There's plenty of other schools they would consider before us :hide: Wyoming and UNI come to mind

roadwarrior
06-29-2011, 12:54 AM

I wasn't referring to Lockhaven as a powerhouse, but meant where they had been in previous positions and where they had wrestled.

Castor Troy
06-29-2011, 03:10 AM
Looking at the bios, I don't know how you could say any of the final three have better bios than Steiner.

I have looked at the bios and see only one guy out of the 3 who has DI coaching and recruiting experience. Steiner has the best record for wrestling, but that is it. Waller seems like a very impressive guy.

calelars24
06-29-2011, 03:37 AM
Troy Steiner coaches and recruits for a top 25 school. In the world team trials a few weeks ago, he was in the corner of multiple entrants including a champ and a runner up who is a sophomore and didn’t AA last year. That’s called coaching. He is far more qualified, athletically and professionally, then any of the finalists. NDSU blew it.

AmberValley
06-29-2011, 04:14 AM
DakotaGrappler is putting out a plea to get Steiner a face to face interview. They also give more details as to what happened to Steiner. See http://dakotagrappler.com/simplemessageboard/index.php?topic=11962.0

BisoninNWMN
06-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Troy must have really "bombed" his phone interview to not be part of the final 3 candidates.

Will Kish keep Brett on as an assistant?

Is Brett a good coach or was he there because his dad was the coach?

GT will hire the best candidate but it still amazing that a wrestling icon like Troy Steiner does not make the final cut......:facepalm:

IMO, Troy Steiner would have taken this program to a new level....although the other 3 could probably do the same.

Castor Troy
06-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Troy must have really "bombed" his phone interview to not be part of the final 3 candidates.

Will Kish keep Brett on as an assistant?

Is Brett a good coach or was he there because his dad was the coach?

GT will hire the best candidate but it still amazing that a wrestling icon like Troy Steiner does not make the final cut......:facepalm:

IMO, Troy Steiner would have taken this program to a new level....although the other 3 could probably do the same.

I remember Bucky saying after Brett graduated that he would be a better high school coach than a college coach.

After reading what the Dakota Grappler said about Troy taking bad advice and only giving short answers, it doesn't make me feel any better about him as a coach. That is horrible advice! That's never a good thing to do in a job interview. What other pieces of bad advice will he take? It really makes him sound like a rock head.

RedRiver
06-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Troy Steiner coaches and recruits for a top 25 school. In the world team trials a few weeks ago, he was in the corner of multiple entrants including a champ and a runner up who is a sophomore and didn’t AA last year. That’s called coaching. He is far more qualified, athletically and professionally, then any of the finalists. NDSU blew it.

But if he can't communicate or interview all of that doesn't matter....... Sounds like Steiner blew it, not NDSU.

onbison09
06-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Exactly. Plus they already announced the finalists. What are they going to do? Oh sorry guys, we have another one. All I gotta say is I hope this works out

BlueBisonRock
06-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Exactly. Plus they already announced the finalists. What are they going to do? Oh sorry guys, we have another one. All I gotta say is I hope this works out

Carlson made that approach work for the folks to the north. :facepalm2:

Just sayin'

56BISON73
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
But if he can't communicate or interview all of that doesn't matter....... Sounds like Steiner blew it, not NDSU.

The interview shouldnt be the main focus IMO. Some can come in and talk endless bullshit but cant produce. I will take a proven track record of recruiting, results and his interaction with the people he leads.

westnodak93bison
06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
The interview shouldnt be the main focus IMO. Some can come in and talk endless bullshit but cant produce. I will take a proven track record of recruiting, results and his interaction with the people he leads.

I agree 100%. Some guys can talk the talk but not produce. See Tim Brewster former FB coach for the Goophers.

BlueBisonRock
06-29-2011, 07:35 PM
I agree 100%. Some guys can talk the talk but not produce. See Tim Brewster former FB coach for the Goophers.

I am seeing him just the way a Gopher fan would like to see him today.

GONE!

:judges:

Bison First Always!

Notorious
06-29-2011, 07:42 PM
My take is that Kish had the job before any interviews took place. The three finalists are all qualified, but by choosing the other two over somebody like Steiner, it makes it easier for GT to "select" Kish, without fear of public backlash for passing on someone like Steiner. With that said, he is getting some of this unwanted backlash on the front-end, rather than the back-end.

CAS4127
06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
My take is that Kish had the job before any interviews took place. The three finalists are all qualified, but by choosing the other two over somebody like Steiner, it makes it easier for GT to "select" Kish, without fear of public backlash for passing on someone like Steiner. With that said, he is getting some of this unwanted backlash on the front-end, rather than the back-end.

Well, we almost have to take an expert's word on that!!!!

calelars24
06-30-2011, 02:54 AM

Me too, me too:facepalm: wouldn't surprise me either to see Bret back as well

BadlandsBison
06-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Gene Taylor just said on kfan that an offer had been accepted but he can't say who quite yet.

ndsubison1
06-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Izzo just tweeted that they will announce the new coach at a press conference at 3 pm today

johnson
06-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Taylor said it is Kish on KFGO.

CAS4127
06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Taylor said it is Kish on KFGO.

Hey, Johnson, are you related to "344"??

johnson
06-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey, Johnson, are you related to "344"??
No. I don't know him either. Y U ask?

AmberValley
06-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Assistant Kish expected to be named Bison head wrestling coachBy: Jeff Kolpack, INFORUM Published June 30, 2011, 01:53 PM

FARGO - North Dakota State has a called a 3 p.m. press conference to announce its new head wrestling coach, a position that is expected to go to assistant Roger Kish.

Kish was one of three finalists along with Lockhaven (Pa.) head coach Robbie Waller and Nebraska assistant Tony Ersland. All three interviewed this week.

Kish, a former University of Minnesota All-American who has been at NDSU for two years, will replace Bucky Maughan, who retired this spring after 47 years. He will be only the fourth head coach in the 54-year history of the program.

onbison09
06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
I hope Gene knows what he's doing.

onbison09
06-30-2011, 07:59 PM
Is there anywhere to listen to this online?

aces1180
06-30-2011, 08:06 PM
I hope Gene knows what he's doing.

When was the last time NDSU hired a coach who didn't work out?

With the exception of Eric Johnson and maybe the high turnaround in golf coaches, I can't think of anyone else in particular.

It's been a pretty good track record for Gene over the years he has been AD.

AmberValley
06-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Roger Kish Named NDSU Head Wrestling Coach
Courtesy: NDSU Athletic Media Relations

Release: June 30, 2011 Roger Kish was introduced as North Dakota State University’s fourth head wrestling coach in the 54-year history of the program during a press conference Thursday, June 30, at the Fargodome. NDSU Director of Athletics Gene Taylor made the announcement.

Kish replaces Hall of Fame head coach Bucky Maughan, who retired this summer after 47 years at the University.

A standout wrestler at the University of Minnesota, Kish completed his second year as an assistant wrestling coach at NDSU.

Kish was a graduate assistant for the Gophers in 2008-09. The Lapeer, Mich., native was a two-time All-American and two-time NCAA runner-up for the Gophers at 184 pounds.

He had a career record of 117-27 for the Gophers. As a sophomore, he went 35-7 en route to a Big Ten title and an NCAA runner-up finish. In his junior season, Kish was 37-3 and was the Big Ten and national runner-up. He was also a team captain.

Kish graduated from Minnesota in May 2008 with a bachelor's degree in business and marketing education.

He was also a two-time cadet national champion and also captured a USA Wrestling junior national title.

At Lapeer West High School, he was a four-time Michigan state champion. Kish is the son of Roger and Brenda Kish. His older brother, James, wrestled at North Carolina.

CAS4127
06-30-2011, 08:13 PM

With the exception of Eric Johnson and maybe the high turnaround in golf coaches, I can't think of anyone else in particular.

Babich--nuff said!!!*

I know--that wasn't Gene, but I still get sick to my stomach thinking of what he did to NDSU Football.

Next one could be the women's BB coach--not sure what is going on with her. Sign (not sing) some players already!!

aces1180
06-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Babich--nuff said!!!*

I know--that wasn't Gene, but I still get sick to my stomach thinking of what he did to NDSU Football.

Next one could be the women's BB coach--not sure what is going on with her. Sign (not sing) some players already!!

The women's basketball coach was hired by Lynn D. and I'll hold my tongue regarding her.

sambini
06-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Congrats Roger+++++

calelars24
06-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Great hire Bucky, gonna get Bret hired too?:omfg:

Twentysix
07-01-2011, 01:59 AM

WBB?tencharersfdwefwef

AmberValley
07-01-2011, 02:37 AM
I have to agree with this following post on the Guillotine.com ...

"I guess we will have to wait and see if Kish will move the program forward or not. I think a big indicator of the direction the program will take is Bret Maughan's future. If he stays on as an assistant, I think that will explain a lot about why this coaching decision was made and why some candidates dropped out.

I'm just hoping this turns out for the best... "

ISXBISON
07-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Kish was on Dizzo's Den tonight and it sounded as though Bret would be staying on as an assistant. He said they had talked about it when they had both put their names in the hat and made it sound as though no matter which one got the head job (if one of them did), the other was going to stay on in full support. I guess time will tell.

DjKyRo
07-01-2011, 03:13 AM
Both the then-assistants got Bucky's endorsement during his retirement presser. That's good enough for me. Best of luck, Coach Kish.

onbison09
07-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Here's the press conference http://www.gobison.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205177904 Definitely wasn't a Bucky presser

Jay
07-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Take a glance at the fish wrap... R Vogelwede has a solid opinion. I can't disagree.

Tatanka
07-02-2011, 08:39 PM
gT's hiring track record has earned him and this new coachat least the benefit of the doubt... Good luck coach Kish.

84Saints
07-03-2011, 03:51 AM
The argument with this decision is not about Kish. I think everyone agrees the Bison wrestling team will be at the very least as good as the teams Bucky presented in DI. Anyone that knows wrestling on a national scale knows for a fact Morgan and Steiner would get them in the top 20 a hell of alot quicker than what in reality is the same staff we had. I wanted Kish on the Bison staff, but he really needs to get his feet wet under a prominent program.

Gene Taylor has made great decisions in the past, but I am afraid he settled for the status quo here and that is where we will be for the foreseeable future. He is responsible for this one.

onbison09
07-03-2011, 05:09 AM
The argument with this decision is not about Kish. I think everyone agrees the Bison wrestling team will be at the very least as good as the teams Bucky presented in DI. Anyone that knows wrestling on a national scale knows for a fact Morgan and Steiner would get them in the top 20 a hell of alot quicker than what in reality is the same staff we had. I wanted Kish on the Bison staff, but he really needs to get his feet wet under a prominent program.

Gene Taylor has made great decisions in the past, but I am afraid he settled for the status quo here and that is where we will be for the foreseeable future. He is responsible for this one.

Nice post. I will gladly eat crow with you.

calelars24
07-03-2011, 08:38 PM

Agreed, Kish will have to do some serious coaching to garner All Americans, whereas Steiner and Morgan would have had guys coming in that were All American ready

Bison Dan
07-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Agreed, Kish will have to do some serious coaching to garner All Americans, whereas Steiner and Morgan would have had guys coming in that were All American ready

Your so full of BS. Fact is you guys don't know what happen in the hiring of the new wrestling coach. Have any of you ever hired ANYONE is your life. Not an exact science to be sure. But if it was a simple as you guys claim all we'd have to do is hire the most famous/prominent one in the pool of candidates. Why even have a AD - hell this board could hire the coaches.

calelars24
07-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Your so full of BS. Fact is you guys don't know what happen in the hiring of the new wrestling coach. Have any of you ever hired ANYONE is your life. Not an exact science to be sure. But if it was a simple as you guys claim all we'd have to do is hire the most famous/prominent one in the pool of candidates. Why even have a AD - hell this board could hire the coaches.

Set the Bison kool aid down for a second there fan boy--Northern Iowa, Wyoming, and Air Force are the top teams in our conference with All Americans on an almost yearly basis. I dont think Bret would be a towel boy let alone an assistant at any of those schools. Kish would be an assistant at best. The others we passed up were already at this level of programs or higher.

Bison Dan
07-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Set the Bison kool aid down for a second there fan boy--Northern Iowa, Wyoming, and Air Force are the top teams in our conference with All Americans on an almost yearly basis. I dont think Bret would be a towel boy let alone an assistant at any of those schools. Kish would be an assistant at best. The others we passed up were already at this level of programs or higher.

Fact is this is only your opinion one based on who has the higher profile, not who would make the best NDSU coach.

Castor Troy
07-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Look at it this way. Kish has had a 2 year job interview. They have seen him recruit, coach, and address the media. When he told the search committee his philosophy on all of the above they knew he was telling the truth since they have seen him in action. People are having a problem with Brett coming back and I wish I knew what that was all about.

calelars24
07-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Look at it this way. Kish has had a 2 year job interview. They have seen him recruit, coach, and address the media. When he told the search committee his philosophy on all of the above they knew he was telling the truth since they have seen him in action. People are having a problem with Brett coming back and I wish I knew what that was all about.

This is D1, these are the big boys, people who know and follow wrestling without blinders on, they know deep down that Bret is not a D1 caliber assistant coach. I'm not being mean or rude, just stating the cold hard truth about D1 wrestling.

Bison"FANatic"
07-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Fact is this is only your opinion one based on who has the higher profile, not who would make the best NDSU coach.

Also from someone who has not had a thing to say about Bison wrestling on here till less than a month ago when he came on here pimping Steiner and cutting on Bret and Kish and saying that Bucky was just calling the shots.

If he was he was. Maybe Kish is more of a long term coach, maybe Steiner was using it as a stepping stone maybes maybes maybes. I respect your opinion but Gene has earned my trust in his hires. A little discussion is good though in the offseason.

onbison09
07-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Also from someone who has not had a thing to say about Bison wrestling on here till less than a month ago when he came on here pimping Steiner and cutting on Bret and Kish and saying that Bucky was just calling the shots.

If he was he was. Maybe Kish is more of a long term coach, maybe Steiner was using it as a stepping stone maybes maybes maybes. I respect your opinion but Gene has earned my trust in his hires. A little discussion is good though in the offseason.

OK what has there been to discuss though? I find it a little weird that people can bitch and moan about stuff like Vigen in the football threads but if they do it in the wrestling threads then they must not know anything about what's going to happen. Are some of the comments unfair to Coach Kish? Yes. Do people have a right to say them? Yes. Could they turn out be right in the long run? Another yes. (But Steiner could've made a bad coach too. Highly unlikely but it's possible.)

CarringtonBison
07-07-2011, 08:38 PM
OK what has there been to discuss though? I find it a little weird that people can bitch and moan about stuff like Vigen in the football threads but if they do it in the wrestling threads then they must not know anything about what's going to happen. Are some of the comments unfair to Coach Kish? Yes. Do people have a right to say them? Yes. Could they turn out be right in the long run? Another yes. (But Steiner could've made a bad coach too. Highly unlikely but it's possible.)

This. We do not know where the program is headed under Kish, but it is not unrealistic to discuss pros and cons. In wrestling, kids can come in and be all-american or (if good enough) national champions as a true freshman. We have had several years so far without so much an all american at the D1 level. Are we gonna settle for a qualifier or two a year?

Would new blood be a bad thing, maybe-maybe not. I do trust Mr. Taylor on this, but as supporters we have the right to ask the hard questions. Status quo is not acceptable, IMO. I look for wrestling to strive as it is a program that we could make more dominant.

calelars24
07-07-2011, 10:40 PM

I guess this is where I should apologize for not knowing this forum existed till after the wrestling season was over, only the big timers that have been here forever can voice their opinion:rofl:

Bison"FANatic"
07-08-2011, 01:51 AM
People come here all the time with a agenda to pump up a recruit or a coach. I just didn't know if you were a Steiner fan or a Bison fan or both. Heck doesn't bother me as honestly I could care less about wrestling. I just don't like seeing people cutting on our AD on other message boards and even in the paper. He has earned the respect. Nothing wrong with a little discussion though by all means go for it.

calelars24
07-08-2011, 02:27 AM
Bison fan for life and I'm 33-just disappointed in the direction the wrestling team has been heading in since the D1 transition. Bucky was/is one the icons of the sport, but it was time for new blood for D1, but I'm not sure Kish is the man. Could be, hope so, but im not so sure. I realize Gene Taylor has a good track record, but once in a while he's gonna hit a dud. For the record, I also thought at the time Coach Bohl wasn't the man for the job. I was for sure that Casey Bradley was who we needed. I think that turned out all right

TheDoctor
07-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Forfeit the record, I also thought at the time Coach Bohl wasn't the man for the job. I was for sure that Casey Bradley was who we needed. I think that turned out all right

Bohl had 2 10-1 nonplayoff elegible seasons with primarily Babich's recruits, then has two losing seasons, has to hold his breath waiting to hear if we backdoored into the playoffs last year. Makes a nice run winning 2 playoff games. If that constitutes "turned out alright" with you then I think Kish will definitely meet your standards. I personally am waiting until after the 2011 season to truely judge where Bohl is at. I am not trying to sound negative but we have to be realistic about what we have truely done in the last 3 years of football. I hope we have turned the corner, but again I will wait until the 2011 season is complete. ;)

Castor Troy
07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Bohl had 2 10-1 nonplayoff elegible seasons with primarily Babich's recruits, then has two losing seasons, has to hold his breath waiting to hear if we backdoored into the playoffs last year. Makes a nice run winning 2 playoff games. If that constitutes "turned out alright" with you then I think Kish will definitely meet your standards. I personally am waiting until after the 2011 season to truely judge where Bohl is at. I am not trying to sound negative but we have to be realistic about what we have truely done in the last 3 years of football. I hope we have turned the corner, but again I will wait until the 2011 season is complete. ;)

But Bohl did better with Babich's recruits than Babich would have done.

I agree with your point. We have to let it play out and keeping supporting this program. The only current coach for the Bison that is on watch in my book is women's bb.

TheDoctor
07-11-2011, 03:45 PM
But Bohl did better with Babich's recruits than Babich would have done.

I agree with your point. We have to let it play out and keeping supporting this program. The only current coach for the Bison that is on watch in my book is women's bb.

Absolutely! Charlie Weiss did better with Tyrone Willingham's players as well, but NOT HIS OWN in the years after. Charlie Weiss is no longer at Notre Dame. ;)

onbison09
07-22-2011, 03:15 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/327740/group/Sports/

TheDoctor
07-22-2011, 03:56 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/327740/group/Sports/

Great article! ;)

calelars24
09-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Its a good thing Steiner isn't good enough to coach at NDSU, he wouldn't be able to coach all these guys at the world championships.

http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=24066

Bison"FANatic"
09-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Why don't you take up your beef with Mr. Gene Taylor instead of complaining here. I am sure you could find his number on gobison.com. Life is to short to go through it eating sour apples.

calelars24
09-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Why don't you take up your beef with Mr. Gene Taylor instead of complaining here. I am sure you could find his number on gobison.com. Life is to short to go through it eating sour apples.

I do every day, all I get is the same form letter email back.

Bison"FANatic"
09-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Then I guess it may be time to move on and get behind the program that's in place.

56BISON73
09-09-2011, 01:52 AM
I do every day, all I get is the same form letter email back.

Why do you expect anything different? If you in fact do this everyday you have issues. Seek professional help. There is no excuse for that type of behavior.
We get it--you dont like the choice that was made. But the choice has been made and there isnt anything that you can do about it. Time to move on or get with the program.

sambini
09-10-2011, 09:48 AM
I wish Coach Kish the best and will support him all the way. Good luck Roger