PDA

View Full Version : Coulter Boyer "on the cusp"

BisonNeil
05-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I have to say I like Craig Haley, the new guy at TSN, doing the FCS writing. He is doing a lot better covering the entire division (rather than just the East Coast) and he does a good job covering the game. His top ten at each position is refreshing, we all know that he put DJ as one of the top ten RBs in FCS.

Haley has Coulter Boyer "on the cusp" of being one of the top ten DL in FCS. After looking at some of the stats of the others on this list I think Coulter is, indeed, very close to being one of the top dogs.

Ben Boothby, the nosepeg from UNI, is in the top 10, and they cite his 4 sacks against NDSU last season. Who did he mow down to get those? Lund? Fuchs realigned the OL after that game with Richard playing more OC, but so I only suspect Lund was overwhelmed, but anyone else here have some insight?

Others on the list of note are Renard Williams of EWU. I have to say his making the list is appropriate, I was very impressed with his play. On the other hand, Ben Obaseki from Indiana State is also on the list, I don't remember him standing out in the game against NDSU but I guess that doesn't mean anything. Likewise Zach Minter, DT from Montana State, is on the cusp. The Cat DL also did not impress me, but that's just me.

My guess is that NDSU may have a couple of other DLs making this list in the near future, guys like Jirik, Perry, and Emanuel.

More than anything I started a new thread because some of the others on this board are pretty long in the tooth.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/index.htm

tjbison
05-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Im happy with our entire D as a whole, for their youth. Hopefully we can dominate this year and Coulter is a key in the success

westnodak93bison
05-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Nice to hear the recognition. IMHO, Jirik did better as a RFr than Boyer. Now Emmanuel moves ahead of Jirik on the depth chart. Future looks good for our DE position.

AjaxTheMighty
05-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Good thread BN, we need this to satisfy that Bison football itch. It is nice to see NDSU get that recognition, & Boyer deserves it. I thought he played awesome last year and another year can only make him better.

HerdBot
05-15-2011, 06:18 PM
I have to say I like Craig Haley, the new guy at TSN, doing the FCS writing. He is doing a lot better covering the entire division (rather than just the East Coast) and he does a good job covering the game. His top ten at each position is refreshing, we all know that he put DJ as one of the top ten RBs in FCS.

Haley has Coulter Boyer "on the cusp" of being one of the top ten DL in FCS. After looking at some of the stats of the others on this list I think Coulter is, indeed, very close to being one of the top dogs.

Ben Boothby, the nosepeg from UNI, is in the top 10, and they cite his 4 sacks against NDSU last season. Who did he mow down to get those? Lund? Fuchs realigned the OL after that game with Richard playing more OC, but so I only suspect Lund was overwhelmed, but anyone else here have some insight?

Others on the list of note are Renard Williams of EWU. I have to say his making the list is appropriate, I was very impressed with his play. On the other hand, Ben Obaseki from Indiana State is also on the list, I don't remember him standing out in the game against NDSU but I guess that doesn't mean anything. Likewise Zach Minter, DT from Montana State, is on the cusp. The Cat DL also did not impress me, but that's just me.

My guess is that NDSU may have a couple of other DLs making this list in the near future, guys like Jirik, Perry, and Emanuel.

More than anything I started a new thread because some of the others on this board are pretty long in the tooth.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/index.htm

I think he's already a top 10 but he's not getting the recognition. His backup Jirik is even a better pass rusher so he will make that the best spot on the team. The emergence of emmanuel will make us ridiculously good at the end spot.

tony
05-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Did you notice the heights/weights on those guys? They're not exactly behemoths. Take out that monster from Liberty and they average about 6'1, 255 (and I think some schools tend to round way up on heights.)

Anyway, if there's a better DL than Renard Williams from EWU, I sure would hate to be one of the two guys trying to block him.

sportsnetwork: very consistent, btw, you can always count that featured player is going to be from the SoCon. <=== this is me, stirring about trouble just for the heck of it. :)

ndsubison1
05-15-2011, 09:27 PM

Boyer is one of the most athletic DE's out there IMO. He should have a big year. Williams is the best DL in FCS> He would start for many FBS schools and will likely be drafted high. It is my opinion that he was the best player on the field when we played Eastern Washington. Also, Boothby is very good as well. He may have gone against Beckius in that game a few times.

EndZoneQB
05-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Boyer is one of the most athletic DE's out there IMO. He should have a big year. Williams is the best DL in FCS> He would start for many FBS schools and will likely be drafted high. It is my opinion that he was the best player on the field when we played Eastern Washington. Also, Boothby is very good as well. He may have gone against Beckius in that game a few times.

Agreed, I was extremely impressed with Williams. I would KILL to have a player like him on our DL.

HerdBot
05-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Did you notice the heights/weights on those guys? They're not exactly behemoths. Take out that monster from Liberty and they average about 6'1, 255 (and I think some schools tend to round way up on heights.)

Anyway, if there's a better DL than Renard Williams from EWU, I sure would hate to be one of the two guys trying to block him.

sportsnetwork: very consistent, btw, you can always count that featured player is going to be from the SoCon. <=== this is me, stirring about trouble just for the heck of it. :)

Good observation. Our DEs are more NFL prototypical sized. But our Nose Tackles are kind of light. Drevlow and Perry would look better with an extra 20+ lbs.

Grizzled
05-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Boyer has been solid since he was a freshmen and playing 20 snaps a game. He has gotten better every year but this year will be fun to watch to see how he does without O-lines having to dedicate so much attention to a player like Gratzek. He made everyone on our d-line so much better last season.

bpcats
05-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Boyer looked like he was coming along, and the amount of pressure generated up the middle by the NDSU line helped also.

As far a Renard goes, the only thing that he struggled with last year was being consistent from game to game. He played great against Montana but was rarely heard from during the MSU game.

During the playoffs Williams turned into a beast that performed every week.

As far a Minter DL from Montana State goes being mentioned as being on the cusp that is well deserved. I don't think that there is a more athletic DT in the FCS. He was unblockable one on one last year. He didn't start playing football until his junior year of high school and has come on strong ever since. He led MSU in interceptions and passes defensed last year as a DT. Where he struggled was taking on double teams but this past spring showed that he was developing nicely.