PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Phil!

spelunker64
05-05-2011, 01:36 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Hansen-to-be-next-Wall-of-Famer/16fa73f0-83bf-4882-af28-604c66958c4c

Great Honor

aces1180
05-05-2011, 01:38 PM
That's huge! Great honor for Phil and good publicity for the Bison!

TransAmBison
05-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Well deserved. He sure was humble in the article. He was awesome for the Bills and definitely deserved this! Congrats!

Notorious
05-05-2011, 02:11 PM
My youngest brother, who was probably 6 at the time (around 1991), and was a huge Bison and Phil Hansen fan, sent a letter to Phil, addressed to the Buffalo Bills. He included a rookie football card that he wanted Phil to sign. As you can imagine, the letter was never answered...never delivered, lost, too much mail to actually respond to everything, etc.??? Anyway, I ran into Phil later that winter, after his season, and told him how my younger brother was crushed that he didin't get a response...I didn't make a big deal about it...we just kind of laughed about it...

Then, about a month later, my brother gets a big package in the mail with team photos, autographs from several big name players, signed cards, etc.

I always respected Phil...he was "self-made"...but, that sealed the deal. He was/is a great guy.

DePereBisonFan
05-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Mr. Hansen is such a great example of our state and our school. :judges:

It's awesome seeing you around the FargoDome on game day!

Castor Troy
05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
That's huge! Great honor for Phil and good publicity for the Bison!

I was about to disagree with you. Not that it wouldn't have been good publicity for NDSU, but they didn't mention his alma mater until the 2nd to the last paragraph. Way to go, Phil!

They brought in Jim Jeffcoat in 1995 and I thought they were going to move him to the left side to take Phil spot, but they left him on the right to back up Bruce.

Bison"FANatic"
05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
A great honor for Phil!!!!!

HerdBot
05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
That is awesome! What a humble guy! 3rd all time in sacks.

aces1180
05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
My youngest brother, who was probably 6 at the time (around 1991), and was a huge Bison and Phil Hansen fan, sent a letter to Phil, addressed to the Buffalo Bills. He included a rookie football card that he wanted Phil to sign. As you can imagine, the letter was never answered...never delivered, lost, too much mail to actually respond to everything, etc.??? Anyway, I ran into Phil later that winter, after his season, and told him how my younger brother was crushed that he didin't get a response...I didn't make a big deal about it...we just kind of laughed about it...

Then, about a month later, my brother gets a big package in the mail with team photos, autographs from several big name players, signed cards, etc.

I always respected Phil...he was "self-made"...but, that sealed the deal. He was/is a great guy.

I did the same thing and got the autograph back...The key was including a SASE.

I still have it at my parents house somewhere.

stevdock
05-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Congrats Phil, you deserve it. Funny quote from a Bills message board about Phil:

"this is sooo true, a nicer guy you'll never meet. I have many funny stories of him on the golf course, like the time his tee shot went right through a condo window, so he tees up another and knocks this one through the window right next to the one he already broke."

The Lost Dutchman
05-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Here's an interview with Phil and Jack today talking about getting into the Wall of Fame, http://740thefan.com/uploads/Phil%20Hansen%20May.mp3

MNLonghorn10
05-05-2011, 06:38 PM
i always make fun of phil(in a good way) when i watch craig bohls tv show on sunday nights..."damn is that tie a clip on, phil?" or "didnt you wear that suit last week?"

that said, what an honor/accomplishment for a player. big ups to phil. never have met him but he seems like a great/all class kinda feller...especially that he devotes his time to his alma mater and refs high school football.

56BISON73
05-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Great article. Congrats!!!

bisonbills
05-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Sweet!! Congrats Phil!!!!

sambini
05-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Well deserving Phil +++++

ISXBISON
05-06-2011, 02:18 AM
Congrats Phil--very well deserved.

On a side note--no mention of NDSU in the article on In-Forum

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/318649/group/homepage/

CHADSTAUS
05-06-2011, 02:39 AM
A true class act. Well deserved.

CaBisonFan
05-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Thanks for all of the great memories Phil...and congratulations on this great honor.

G-city Bison Fan
05-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I was about 8 years old when Buffalo went to it's first superbowl. Phil is one of the major reasons I was and still am a Buffalo fan, and for that, he can go to hell. ;)

On a more serious note, he's a great guy, great football player, I always have some Bills stuff displayed when we tailgate and he always stops by and shoots the breeze.

Congrats to Phil.

bisonmike2
05-06-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm actually surprised he wasn't already on there. He was awesome. That whole defense was awesome in the 90's. Phil, Bruce Smith, Darrel Talley, Cornelius Bennent. They were my favorite team to play in Techmo Super Bowl and in my opinion the most balanced team on that game. Kelly, Thurman and Reed on offense. I was unbeatable in that game with those guys.

CAS4127
05-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Congrats to Phil. He was the starting DE on our 88 National Championship team. He was just starting to shine then, and made some great plays that game, as well as many others during the season. He could run well from sideline to sideline, and like to finish!

Quick story: While in Florence for the NC game (we were there about 4 days as I recall), the Chamber of Commerce provided "ambassadors" for the team, 5-6 very good looking Alabama babes. They hung around with the team whenever we were not preparing for the game. One had a shine for Phil, and he sorta liked the attention I think. In any event, on Thurday afternoon while sitting around the pool, I told the girls it was time for them to leave us alone, as it was time to focus on the game (I had my game attitude with me the entire time and barely even acknowleged their presence btw--seriously). Phil gave me kind of a dirty look and basically said, what the hell, CAS. I said, "Phil, its time, and we came here to win a National Championship. You can see them during the celebration afterward." He just looked at me and nodded. The girls came to the celebration, and Snuffy Byers was dancing with one of them--she was white and he was, well, black. A good old boy from Alabama did not like that, and confronted Snuffy. Not a good decision by him--I'll just leave it at that. Road likely remembers the details--although I think he may have been celebrating with us pretty hard too!!

roadwarrior
05-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Road likely remembers the details--although I think he may have been celebrating with us pretty hard too!!

I thought what happens in Alabama stays in Alabama.

4mcruenomore
05-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Way to go Phil! Now, I just need to get him to sign my Bills jersey

CAS4127
05-06-2011, 05:35 PM
I thought what happens in Alabama stays in Alabama.

Well, I didn't expound fully at least, right? Hey, remember that party on the corner of 10th and 12th, you know, when the fight . . . . . . . . . I'll leave it at that and you can fill people in at tailgating!!:cheers: