PDA

View Full Version : Juco doe depth at DT?

HerdBot
05-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I like our starters but I think our depth is really thin at the D tackle spot. Were only an injury or 2 away from major problems. Do we need a 300-310 pounder for short yardage? Like a Rodney Thompson?

Seems like our offense could run the ball up the middle fairly easily against our 1st team defense. Was it because we were missing starting linebacker or because were really thin at DT? Yeah I know we were missing Perry but hes going to miss more time over a full season. Is Stoczynski going to start at 249 when hes hurt? Luekue at 253? They can always slide Juckem over but that weakens depth at NT.

If we get a few injuries it could be tough. How much muscle can a guy add over a summer?

Depth chart (predictions )

NT
Drevlow 6'4" 268
Juckem 6'4", 282
Lavoy - 6'4" 280 started for gold team

DT
Perry 6'3" 274
Stoczynski 6'3", 249
Lueuke - 6'5", 253

X-Factor
05-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Was it because we were missing starting linebacker or because were really thin at DT? Yeah I know we were missing Perry but hes going to miss more time over a full season. Is Stoczynski going to start at 249 when hes hurt? Luekue at 253? They can always slide Juckem over but that weakens depth at NT.

If we get a few injuries it could be tough. How much muscle can a guy add over a summer?

Depth chart (predictions )

NT
Drevlow 6'4" 268
Juckem 6'4", 282
Lavoy - 6'4" 280 started for gold team

DT
Perry 6'3" 274
Stoczynski 6'3", 249
Lueuke - 6'5", 253

Or maybe our running game is just really good? How quickly some forget what this offense did in the playoffs. Almost all of the players that were crucial in the running game during the playoffs are back, and they are a year older. I actually think our D did a pretty good job with the running game yesterday, especially with Perry out.

I also don't understand this infatuation with weight either. Comparing the weight of one guy to another is apples to oranges. Just because someone is 300-320lbs doesn't mean they could do a thing for us in the middle.

As far as the question about how much muscle someone can add over the summer:
A completely dedicated person that has an exceptional diet and great strength training program combined with sufficient sleep habits can add about 10 lbs of quality weight per month (possibly more depending on their body size). It is tough though, and most athletes are not willing to take the necessary steps to transform their body like that. Beer tends to get in the way. The extreme of this is that I have seen someone add 25 lbs in 2 weeks and a lot of that was surprisingly clean weight. This was specifically a test to see if it was possible, and absolutely not healthy for anyone to do in terms of wear on your body.

HerdBot
05-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Or maybe our running game is just really good? How quickly some forget what this offense did in the playoffs. Almost all of the players that were crucial in the running game during the playoffs are back, and they are a year older. I actually think our D did a pretty good job with the running game yesterday, especially with Perry out.

I also don't understand this infatuation with weight either. Comparing the weight of one guy to another is apples to oranges. Just because someone is 300-320lbs doesn't mean they could do a thing for us in the middle.

As far as the question about how much muscle someone can add over the summer:
A completely dedicated person that has an exceptional diet and great streungth training program combined with sufficient sleep habits can add about 10 lbs of quality weight per month (possibly more depending on their body size). It is tough though, and most athletes are not willing to take the necessary steps to transform their body like that. Beer tends to get in the way. The extreme of this is that I have seen someone add 25 lbs in 2 weeks and a lot of that was surprisingly clean weight. This was specifically a test to see if it was possible, and absolutely not healthy for anyone to do in terms of wear on your body.

Our oline is great at running. Credit should be given.

Weight at defensive tackle is very important. Thats why Bohl said on the radio a few weeks ago "I would like to see our D tackles add about 20 pounds."

The years we've been great we've had big dudes in the middle to eat up the blockers to free up the lighter guy. Guys like Rodney Thompson were great at that. Fairbairn was
good.

Our guys are not only lighter, they are taller so their frames are lankier. That means its tougher to get low and gain leverage.

Here is some interested weigh numbers on Gratzek...

Gratzek
Sr- 6'2 289
Jr- 278
So- 280
RFr - 281
Fr -256

herdmember
05-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Just purely from the eyeball test yesterday during warmups, it does seem like our D Ends are bigger than our D Tackles.

ndsubison1
05-01-2011, 08:14 PM
you never cease to amaze me gabe

HerdBot
05-01-2011, 08:37 PM
you never cease to amaze me gabe

Apparently the head coach never ceases to amaze you either since I'm quoting him. He knows more than you or I.

jarhead
05-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Here is CBS Sports' list of next year's NFL Draft defensive tackle prospects. Most are in the 280-310 lb. and 6' 2"-6' 5" range. A few 330
pounders, assume they are NGs. I'm with you Gabe, I really like having a 6'2"-6'3", 300 lb. anchor on running downs. You can always ro-
tate him out on passing downs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2012_DT?&start_row=1

HerdBot
05-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Here is CBS Sports' list of next year's NFL Draft defensive tackle prospects. Most are in the 280-310 lb. and 6' 2"-6' 5" range. A few 330
pounders, assume they are NGs. I'm with you Gabe, I really like having a 6'2"-6'3", 300 lb. anchor on running downs. You can always ro-
tate him out on passing downs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2012_DT?&start_row=1

Thanks buddy. There is a group of people on this board that disagree with me no matter what. They like to argue and don't want to have an intelligent discussion. They would rather engage in a kool aid orgy and use a few draft busts as a flawed basis of an argument that speed and size do not matter. Even though more players with size and speed are successful. In their minds, everyone has the heart of Rudy.

I don't see one 260 pounder on that list. Our top tackles weighed more than that. Thompson, Frick, Fairbairn... We are scary light. Speed is good but size is needed. These guys need to add some weight this summer and keep their quickness. Drevlow needs to get up to Juckems size. Perry needs to get to 280. Luekue and Stoczynski need to get to 265-270. If they can't we need a 300 pound juco.

The big question is can a juco contribute coming in this late?I say yes if you find a guy who played in the same system, start him out on the goalline defense or short yardage, and give him a lot of playing time during the first 2 warm up games. He's ready to contribute against the Gophers and conference play. That way were not screwed if we have injuries. Were suffering on depth because we lost a few guys like Offerman and Reid. Need to replace them.

Bison81
05-01-2011, 11:11 PM
just read in rochester post bulletin - karl klug - univ of iowa - 2 time all big ten - hoping to get drafted (think not) - from nearby caledona,mn - very tough kid - 6'4" 270# at def tackle- not totally needed to be 300# +

BlueBisonRock
05-02-2011, 12:29 AM
just read in rochester post bulletin - karl klug - univ of iowa - 2 time all big ten - hoping to get drafted (think not) - from nearby caledona,mn - very tough kid - 6'4" 270# at def tackle- not totally needed to be 300# +

I watched this kid wrestle in HS (at 225). Incredible strength and was sculpted. His weight is pure muscle.