PDA

View Full Version : Gopher Preview

goldenshower
04-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Now I just want to state the majority of Gopher fans feel ndsu will be a good opponent and this preview states the threat ndsu can offer Minnesota. I dont believe we will have an 8-4 record like this preview predicts but it really wouldnt surprise me either. Im thinking we will win 6-7 based on the positive momentum from last season with the solid talent we have returning.

Nice comments about your bison on this link:

http://www.bigtensportswatch.com/?p=690

DjKyRo
04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
He has them beating Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin?

http://media.curse.com/Curse.Core.CurseImageFileViewer/CommunityServer/Components/UserFiles/00/01/22/59/03/serious%20face.jpg-600x450.jpg

344Johnson
04-28-2011, 05:09 PM
They probably could beat Iowa this year. Maybe any of the three, but not all of them. Gophers are really inconsistent.

goldenshower
04-28-2011, 05:10 PM
He has them beating Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin?

http://media.curse.com/Curse.Core.CurseImageFileViewer/CommunityServer/Components/UserFiles/00/01/22/59/03/serious%20face.jpg-600x450.jpg

i could see beating mich and iowa-pretty sure wisky handles us this year

MNLonghorn10
04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
guy needs to get the year right in the first sentence

duluthbison
04-28-2011, 07:06 PM
The gophers will be improved from last year but I doubt enough to beat michigan and iowa. Give them a couple of seasons and maybe they can become a contender again.

Their whole program is in re-build mode right now - you can't fix years of bad coaching in one season.

EndZoneQB
04-28-2011, 07:15 PM
guy needs to get the year right in the first sentence

wut? He says they had a forgettable year in 2010...

The Minnesota Golden Gophers had a pretty forgettable year in 2010, suffering a 3-9

bisononce
04-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Yes, wut. What is wrong with the first sentence. 2010...

MNLonghorn10
04-28-2011, 10:56 PM
wut? He says they had a forgettable year in 2010...

Spring Game Recap
The 2010 Minnesota Spring Game was nothing more than a glorified practice session.
thatdlafjasdf

TateMosersneighbor
04-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Yes, wut. What is wrong with the first sentence. 2010...

He forgot 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005...the 90s, the 80s and the 70s...thats what's wrong

SDbison
04-29-2011, 02:57 AM
Here is the excerpt from that article regarding the NDSU game:

This is a game I’m sure Jerry Kill and his staff would rather not play, especially the first year in a new system. NDSU has given the Gophers fits in recent meetings, even defeating the Maroon and Gold in 2007. Last year, the Bison compiled a record of 9-5, including a couple of FCS playoff victories and a win on the road against FBS Kansas. Returning a good majority of that team, many of whom are from the state of Minnesota, NDSU will be ready and fired up. The Gophers physical talent squeaks out a victory in the fourth quarter.

Sad if true the Goofers need to squeak out a victory in the 4th quarter against an FCS team. I really doubt the gophers physical talent is currently much better than NDSU's. Maybe on paper, but thats where it ends. There are other factors like desire and teamwork where NDSU excels.

4mcruenomore
04-29-2011, 03:45 AM
We will win, I am more confident about this game than UNI believe it or not

goldenshower
04-29-2011, 08:35 PM
We will win, I am more confident about this game than UNI believe it or not

i am concerned about this game but i just dont think ndsu will have any passing game to defeat the gophers. im not sold the gophers will be able to have a passing game either but i think gray's running ability wins this game. i just dont think ndsu will be able to stop him.

Scooter1
04-29-2011, 08:50 PM
i am concerned about this game but i just dont think ndsu will have any passing game to defeat the gophers. im not sold the gophers will be able to have a passing game either but i think gray's running ability wins this game. i just dont think ndsu will be able to stop him.

We seemed to do OK against the QB from the U of South Dakota that gave you guys fits last year...

I think that it is hillarious that the U of M fans are even on this site. What does it say for a Big 10 program when one of the games that they think will be close is an FCS game that by all rights, the U of M should win by 14+. There is no reason why the U of M should be as inept as they seem to be year in and year out. For god sake, you are a Big 10 school. Start recruiting and playing like one. Either that, or consider moving down to the FCS and let the other members of the Big 10 move on. Of course, the rest of the big 10 doesn't want this because they love to pencil in a win against you guys every year...just like they do when they schedule an FCS team.

goldenshower
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Tell that to iowa. I have personal interest in the bison, plus its really entertainngreading comments of certain people talking about the bison like they are comparable to major fbs schools. Hilarious comments about ndsu joining the big ten and the classic ndsu is better than the mac because they beat c mich like 6 yrs ago. Pretty awesome reading material!

CAS4127
04-29-2011, 09:36 PM
@Golden: All I know is that ANY person who pumps up Minnesota Gopher Football (Goofer Nation) has got to be a complete idiot. You have done nothing of significance in college football for many decades, period, at whatever level. As for comparing NDSU to "major fbs" schools, Minnesota shouldn't be compared either, or even said in the same breath as any "major" fbs school. What a joke you have going on down there. Now go lay by your dish and STFU!!

IzzyFlexion
04-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Boy. That escalated quickly!

http://30.media.tumblr.com/aeapb27nkq6sxzgnnCMBz70Fo1_400.gif

goldenshower
04-30-2011, 12:03 AM
@Golden: All I know is that ANY person who pumps up Minnesota Gopher Football (Goofer Nation) has got to be a complete idiot. You have done nothing of significance in college football for many decades, period, at whatever level. As for comparing NDSU to "major fbs" schools, Minnesota shouldn't be compared either, or even said in the same breath as any "major" fbs school. What a joke you have going on down there. Now go lay by your dish and STFU!!

You need some jesus

344Johnson
04-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Guys please take it easy on the guy. He wasn't being rude. Just expects Gray to win with his legs(I haven't seen him play, I have no valid opinion on that), On Bison!

JMB
04-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Guys please take it easy on the guy. He wasn't being rude. Just expects Gray to win with his legs(I haven't seen him play, I have no valid opinion on that), On Bison!

I agree with this. Goldenshower has actually come with a fairly decent attitude and willingness to talk. Compared to who we have representing us on Gopherhole (no offense 344Johnson), I think he been a pretty decent poster.

He is also perfectly willing to admit his teams weaknesses and has pointed out our biggest weakness as well (passing). He is right, if we can't throw the ball, we likely lose.

344Johnson
04-30-2011, 01:07 AM
I agree with this. Goldenshower has actually come with a fairly decent attitude and willingness to talk. Compared to who we have representing us on Gopherhole (no offense 344Johnson), I think he been a pretty decent poster.

He is also perfectly willing to admit his teams weaknesses and has pointed out our biggest weakness as well (passing). He is right, if we can't throw the ball, we likely lose.

None taken, ;) I was more trollish over there than a usual guy (but less than Lakes), gotta work on my temper. But yeah, he has made a couple assholeish comments but we all do that. Keep it real guys, he's not making it out like he is too good to talk football with an FCS team.

JMB
04-30-2011, 01:30 AM
None taken, ;) I was more trollish over there than a usual guy (but less than Lakes), gotta work on my temper. But yeah, he has made a couple assholeish comments but we all do that. Keep it real guys, he's not making it out like he is too good to talk football with an FCS team.

You weren't really who I was referencing anyways. :)

Bisonwinagn
04-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Tell that to iowa. I have personal interest in the bison, plus its really entertainngreading comments of certain people talking about the bison like they are comparable to major fbs schools. Hilarious comments about ndsu joining the big ten and the classic ndsu is better than the mac because they beat c mich like 6 yrs ago. Pretty awesome reading material!

I agree some people can go overboard and the program needs to win some more Championships to even get national recognition at the FCS level.
I will disagree about the MAC conference. The top 10 FCS schools are typically good enough and would compete to win the MAC championship each year. Although these teams are no better than the bottom 3 or 4 in the Big Ten.

goldenshower
04-30-2011, 02:17 AM
I agree some people can go overboard and the program needs to win some more Championships to even get national recognition at the FCS level.
I will disagree about the MAC conference. The top 10 FCS schools are typically good enough and would compete to win the MAC championship each year. Although these teams are no better than the bottom 3 or 4 in the Big Ten.

its easy to "play up." thats why regional fcs games suck. the majority of ndsu's roster is minnesota and many feel snubbed and work their asses off.

sorta like when minnesota played usc, we actually looked like a big ten football team. and usc's physical talent finished us off. i feel this is how all games vs the bison will be...except in basketball-we usually dominate the flow of the game in hoops ha

X-Factor
04-30-2011, 02:20 AM
You need some jesus

I almost fell over laughing when I read this comment. I kind of agree :)

EndZoneQB
04-30-2011, 03:21 AM
except in basketball-we usually dominate the flow of the game in hoops ha

Like mastermind David Kahn would say "Long and athletic"!

TheBisonator
04-30-2011, 03:26 AM
its easy to "play up." thats why regional fcs games suck. the majority of ndsu's roster is minnesota and many feel snubbed and work their asses off.

NDSU will fill up your stadium. Austin Peay will not. NDSU on your schedule generates chatter and conversation. Southeast Missouri State on your schedule does not. As long as NDSU brings in the fans and money (and newsworthiness) to The Bank more than any other FCS school (and almost every other non-BCS FBS), that's the well that your athletic department will dip into.

SDbison
04-30-2011, 03:31 AM
Gray is NOT better than DJ..........

goldenshower
04-30-2011, 04:49 AM
Gray is NOT better than DJ..........

dj is a runningback right? i would say yes, dj is a better runningback than Gray. Q is a qb and was a wr. Q will have a bigger impact on the game than dj because Q touches the ball every play on offense.

so we are clear, Gray is a QB and not comparable to dj who is a rb

IzzyFlexion
04-30-2011, 11:41 AM

sorta like when minnesota played usc, we actually looked like a big ten football team. and usc's physical talent finished us off. i feel this is how all games vs the bison will be...except in basketball-we usually dominate the flow of the game in hoops ha

Was Northern Illinois' roster filled with Minnesota kids working their asses off too when they "played up" at TCF?

9/25/2010: Northern Illinois 34 Minnesota 23

JMB
04-30-2011, 12:01 PM

Actually from what I have seen of the Bison the last couple of years this is exactly what I am concerned about. We all know our passing game is a concern from last year. I was only able to attend one game in person last year, the playoff game in the dome. Besides screen passes, I think we struggled in the passing game. On the way home, all I heard on the radio was how this was Jensen's breakthrough game in terms of passing... YIKES! His second point is valid as well. The Bison seem to have traditionally struggled with mobile QB's.

Goldenshower, from the spring practices what are the Gophers running for an offense? Are they back to the spread option again or a more traditional set?

semobison
04-30-2011, 02:37 PM
I understand the interest in this game but as far as how important this game is, it ranks about 9th on next seasons schedule! BEAT UNI DAMMIT!

Bisonwinagn
04-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Goldenshower, from the spring practices what are the Gophers running for an offense? Are they back to the spread option again or a more traditional set?

I believe it's more of a traditional offense, but will have multiple sets from 3 running backs to 3 wide receivers and everything in between. They run a variety of plays to try confuse the defense and will definately have plays designed for Gray to run.

344Johnson
04-30-2011, 03:27 PM
I believe it's more of a traditional offense, but will have multiple sets from 3 running backs to 3 wide receivers and everything in between. They run a variety of plays to try confuse the defense and will definately have plays designed for Gray to run.

Hopefully the only thing being confused is Gray not knowing which sideline is his after Eaves and Heagle lay some serious wood on him.

344Johnson
04-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Was Northern Illinois' roster filled with Minnesota kids working their asses off too when they "played up" at TCF?
9/25/2010: Northern Illinois 34 Minnesota 23

Nothern Illinois is FBS :hide:

goldenshower
04-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Actually from what I have seen of the Bison the last couple of years this is exactly what I am concerned about. We all know our passing game is a concern from last year. I was only able to attend one game in person last year, the playoff game in the dome. Besides screen passes, I think we struggled in the passing game. On the way home, all I heard on the radio was how this was Jensen's breakthrough game in terms of passing... YIKES! His second point is valid as well. The Bison seem to have traditionally struggled with mobile QB's.

If by traditional you mean a pro style offense-not even close! Nearly every snap was taken out of the shotgun but I haven't seen more than 3 wr's at a time. The spring game was just a practice with a 60 play scrimmage. We have 2 nice wr options and 1 really good receiving tight end, after that things get sketchy. Gray looked suspect passing the ball but ran the option reallly well. The spring game playbook was really basic I think I read that only ran 14 different plays.

And to the guy/gal who posted the northern illinois comment-well played!

JMB
04-30-2011, 04:01 PM
If by traditional you mean a pro style offense-not even close! Nearly every snap was taken out of the shotgun but I haven't seen more than 3 wr's at a time. The spring game was just a practice with a 60 play scrimmage. We have 2 nice wr options and 1 really good receiving tight end, after that things get sketchy. Gray looked suspect passing the ball but ran the option reallly well. The spring game playbook was really basic I think I read that only ran 14 different plays.

And to the guy/gal who posted the northern illinois comment-well played!

I honestly didn't pay any attention to the Gophers last year, although I thought I heard they had moved away from the spread option and moved to a different offense last year. I wasn't sure what Kill was planning, however with Gray's speed I figured they would have some option packages for him.

IzzyFlexion
04-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Nothern Illinois is FBS :hide:

Yes....they are a MAC team in the FBS. I've been to games there both as a spectator and sideline personell. A MAC team playing a Big Ten team IS playing up.
The MAC et al. is/are the "mid-majors" of FBS football. If you don't think so, just ask all of the Gopher fans that diminish the significance of the Bison win at Central Michigan.

CHADSTAUS
05-01-2011, 02:27 PM

I remember sombody named Tyler who showed the rodents you dont have to pass the ball to win. 263 yards ring a bell?

BisonNeil
05-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I remember sombody named Tyler who showed the rodents you dont have to pass the ball to win. 263 yards ring a bell?

True enough, but don't lose sight of the fact that the Bison also had 191 yds passing that day. Walker completed 80% of his passes (20/25) and the constant threat of a pass play kept the Gopher D honest. If the Bison O could come close to that in 2011 they will be a force to be reckoned with.

mgbison
05-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Gray's running could present a problem. However, we've faced multiple running QB's and if they can't pass, they eventually end up throwing int's. The one thing our QB's have showen is they don't throw a lot of int's. I think as long as we win the turnover battle we win the gopher game.

I think our defense is better than minnesota's defense and i beleive we'll create more turnovers than them. Hence, we'll be downtown celebrating.

If we can run the ball effectively against them, we will win.

JMB
05-01-2011, 05:19 PM

Also Tyler's big run for a touchdown was for all intensive purposes a pass play. It wasn't a pitch or a handoff, it was a flair pass to the side. Granted it wasn't the most advanced pass pattern in the world.

goldenshower
05-01-2011, 06:24 PM

its 2011, move on!

Gully
05-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I understand the interest in this game but as far as how important this game is, it ranks about 9th on next seasons schedule! BEAT UNI DAMMIT!

Did KU rank ninth last year? Do you think we'd have been in the playoffs if we'd have been Missouri State and lost to Kansas?

344Johnson
05-02-2011, 03:06 PM
If we run, we win is a perfect assessment. However, to run, we may need to pass. If Minnesota puts 8 in the box it will be tougher to run, I am confident we'll have a good gameplan going in. We'll also probably be a lot more intense than they will be(Tons of Minnesota guys on our roster who would have killed to get an offer)

CHADSTAUS
05-03-2011, 01:48 AM
its 2011, move on!

Gonna "move on" through Minneapolis with another W. Gray will throw 2 picks, one of which will be returned, and sacked 4 times. Also confident he will be pulled in the 3rd. Take it to the bank. I have called every game correct.:bow:

BisoninNWMN
05-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Bison 31-17

85 scholly teams are always tough games but the Gophs are perenially crap....enough said!

Bison bison
05-03-2011, 02:49 AM
Jerry Kill for the win.

344Johnson
05-03-2011, 04:10 AM
Bison 24
Gophers 20 (gophers get a late TD)

duluthbison
05-03-2011, 04:40 AM
Bison 31-17

85 scholly teams are always tough games but the Gophs are perenially crap....enough said!

Yeah but this will not be the same gophers team we met before. I am kinda worried about this one, I don't think it will be a blow out on either side, it will be a very close game.

BisoninNWMN
05-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Yeah but this will not be the same gophers team we met before. I am kinda worried about this one, I don't think it will be a blow out on either side, it will be a very close game.

You may be right.

Our defense will keep the game close for us. Our O-Line is big and should be able to open holes for our RBs. It comes down to our passing game keeping pressure off the running game and consistently getting 1st downs sustaining drives.

Yes, it will probably be a tough game but IMO, the Bison win.

GO BISON

Herd Mentality
05-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Has anyone heard what the NDSU ticket allotment for this game is?

roadwarrior
05-03-2011, 09:42 PM

No, but I got this email from NDSU today:

NDSU Football vs. Minnesota Ticket Information

Requests to purchase tickets through NDSU for the football game at Minnesota can be submitted online beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 7th. Requests will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 21st.

Order fulfillment and seat assignments will be determined based on priority points. Team Makers and Season Ticket Holders should submit their requests through their established Team Maker/Season Ticket Holder account to ensure credit for current priority points.

- Price: $55/ticket ($50 + $5 fee)

- Limit 10 tickets/account

- Visitor seating is located in Sections 201-206 and 215-218.

- Requests can be submitted online May 7-May 21.

- Order fulfillment will be determined May 23rd based on priority points.

- Notification of order status (accepted/denied) will be emailed May 23rd.

- Credit card information must be entered when submitting request. Payment will be processed May 23rd on all ACCEPTED orders. No charge will be assessed for denied orders.

- Seat assignment will be determined based on priority points.

- Tickets will be mailed September 1st.

- No refunds will be given on accepted orders.

CaBisonFan
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Gophers are really inconsistent.

Speaking as a former fan...since the birth of Christ.

SDbison
05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
They fail to mention that Goofer stadium seating for visitors is located in the upper half of sections 201-206 and 215-218.
That is the upper half of the upper deck. Nice for them that they set it up so the visitors get split up into two areas.

ISXBISON
05-03-2011, 10:47 PM

If I remember correctly; when I called Josh at the ticket office, he stated we were getting 3000.

CaBisonFan
05-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Now I just want to state the majority of Gopher fans feel ndsu will be a good opponent and this preview states the threat ndsu can offer Minnesota. I dont believe we will have an 8-4 record like this preview predicts but it really wouldnt surprise me either. Im thinking we will win 6-7 based on the positive momentum from last season with the solid talent we have returning.

NDSU...Bison

It's what you and I have been discussing.

1 Huge Bison Fan On 9/24!
05-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Dude, if you watched the BTN's replay of the goofer spring scrimmage and you know more about CFB than the average idiot, you would know you have a 3 win season coming in 2011! Spring 2011 = spring 2007 in Doltasoda. The similarities are so amazing it's ridiculous. Big Brew was coming in and there was going to be 7 or 8 wins in year one followed by a Rose Bowl in year two!!! hahaha! Clint Brewster, his kid the stud 4* QB hero freshmen looked amazing in the spring game and yaddy yaddy yada...... In all seriousness, I think they looked better in the spring of 2007 than they did in 2011....at least they had the nuts to play a spring game then.........

Please define the "positive momentum from last season" other than punky being told to clean out his desk and pack his trash???????????

344Johnson
05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Dude, if you watched the BTN's replay of the goofer spring scrimmage and you know more about CFB than the average idiot, you would know you have a 3 win season coming in 2011! Spring 2011 = spring 2007 in Doltasoda. The similarities are so amazing it's ridiculous. Big Brew was coming in and there was going to be 7 or 8 wins in year one followed by a Rose Bowl in year two!!! hahaha! Clint Brewster, his kid the stud 4* QB hero freshmen looked amazing in the spring game and yaddy yaddy yada...... In all seriousness, I think they looked better in the spring of 2007 than they did in 2011....at least they had the nuts to play a spring game then.........

Please define the "positive momentum from last season" other than punky being told to clean out his desk and pack his trash???????????

They beat Iowa and Illinois to end the season. Not bad wins, certainly not great, but pretty solid.

Bison bison
05-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I think Minnesota will win 3-5 games next year.

First off, Kill is a real football coach unlike that shyster Brewster (seriously WTF were they thinking hiring that dumbass?).

Second, Kill has to deal with the subpar talent that Punky left him with.

These things will offset in my book.

It will also make for a fun Bison-Gopher game.

BisoninNWMN
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
First off, Kill is a real football coach unlike that shyster Brewster (seriously WTF were they thinking hiring that dumbass?).

Maybe!

Potential wins:

N Mexico State
Miami (Ohio)
NDSU
Northwestern
Illinois

I believe the Bison will win and the Northwestern and Illinois games were vry close last year.

mnriverbison
05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Let me just temper expectations for a minute.

If the Bison played MN's schedule next year with our current roster, our absolute high-end season would be probably 3-4 wins with maybe 1 Big Ten win.

MN is unlikely to take a step back from their 3 wins last year considering that they ended their season by beating two bowl-winning teams and that the season was an utter disaster with a coach being fired mid-season.

I only say this so we can get some perspective and temper some expectations around here. Our success in the Gopher game has far more to do with our opponent than with us. We won't make dumb mistakes. We will play solid, fundamental football. We don't know these things about the Gophers, and in fact recent history tells us that they can be counted on F up as bad teams often do. But make no mistake, if Kill is the real deal we have a hell of a fight on our hands in this game. 85 scholly players, at least one guy who is a sure-fire NFL draft pick at WR, etc etc. We also no longer have the element of surprise since we beat them and Kansas in recent seasons. This FCS team is no bye week for bad FBS teams like MN. That may actually play against us.

05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
[/B]

They beat Iowa and Illinois to end the season. Not bad wins, certainly not great, but pretty solid.
Seriously? Beating that idiot Ron Zook and his laughing band of clowns is a big thing? Christ, even that fool brewster beat Zook once and nearly did it a second time. Seriously? The Iowa win against a team that showed up looking like they would rather all be having a root canal than playing football on that frozen turd of a field in the dark on Thanksgiving weekend? The Iowa team that suffered a heart wrenching loss the week before to the Buckeyes which ended their hope of playing in January, while the goofers had a bye week to prepare?? With "positive momentum" like this, I don't understand why they aren't in the top 10 of most preseason polls!!!

mnriverbison
05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Maybe!

Potential wins:

N Mexico State
Miami (Ohio)
NDSU
Northwestern
Illinois

I believe the Bison will win and the Northwestern and Illinois games were vry close last year.

If Illinois is on that list, Iowa, Purdue, and Michigan need to be on it as well. The only games with no chance are Wisconsin and Nebraska in my opinion.

05-04-2011, 02:08 PM
If Illinois is on that list, Iowa, Purdue, and Michigan need to be on it as well. The only games with no chance are Wisconsin and Nebraska in my opinion.

They have no chance vs Iowa or Michigan. MN will have absolutely no run blocking in 2011 and Grey cannot hit a freight train beyond 10 yards and is too dumb to run a read offense which will also hamper his scrambling. They have one serviceable WR.

MNLonghorn10
05-04-2011, 02:37 PM
They fail to mention that Goofer stadium seating for visitors is located in the upper half of sections 201-206 and 215-218.
That is the upper half of the upper deck. Nice for them that they set it up so the visitors get split up into two areas.

pretty sure every major college has that set up

Herd Mentality
05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
If I remember correctly; when I called Josh at the ticket office, he stated we were getting 3000.

Thanks. (The message I have entered is short, like an oompa loompa)

mnriverbison
05-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Seriously? Beating that idiot Ron Zook and his laughing band of clowns is a big thing? Christ, even that fool brewster beat Zook once and nearly did it a second time. Seriously?

Yes, seriously. Are you LakesBison? Seriously. Or are you Panthehawk. It is clearly one of the two.

Say what you will about Ron Zook or an Iowa team playing for Bowl pecking order and in their biggest rivalry game, but the games happened. The Illini and Iowa both won Bowl games and both had every reason to want to beat MN last year. And didn't. Doesn't mean MN is better than them. But it sure means that this game is no pushover. Virtually every player on their roster was more heavily recruited than any player on ours. That doesn't mean everything-but it matters. They have 1/3 more scholarships. That doesn't mean everything but it also matters. And their "serviceable" WR will play on Sundays next year.

Christ, is this Bisonville or is this the Paul-Allen Bison project. It isn't out of bounds to temper the fire when it gets out of hand.

344Johnson
05-04-2011, 05:40 PM
They have no chance vs Iowa or Michigan. MN will have absolutely no run blocking in 2011 and Grey cannot hit a freight train beyond 10 yards and is too dumb to run a read offense which will also hamper his scrambling. They have one serviceable WR.

Iowa lost a lot this offseason. Michigan is bad to begin with....new coach as well. So yes, the gophers have a chance. People in the cities are pretty excited to see what Grey can do. For all we know, he will be good.

CAS4127
05-04-2011, 05:48 PM
NDSU Football vs. Minnesota Ticket Information

Requests to purchase tickets through NDSU for the football game at Minnesota can be submitted online beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 7th. Requests will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 21st.

Order fulfillment and seat assignments will be determined based on priority points. Team Makers and Season Ticket Holders should submit their requests through their established Team Maker/Season Ticket Holder account to ensure credit for current priority points.

- Price: $55/ticket ($50 + $5 fee)

- Limit 10 tickets/account

- Visitor seating is located in Sections 201-206 and 215-218. Click here for seating chart.

- Requests can be submitted online May 7-May 21.

- Order fulfillment will be determined May 23rd based on priority points.

- Notification of order status (accepted/denied) will be emailed May 23rd.

- Credit card information must be entered when submitting request. Payment will be processed May 23rd on all ACCEPTED orders. No charge will be assessed for denied orders.

- Seat assignment will be determined based on priority points.

- Tickets will be mailed September 1st.

- No refunds will be given on accepted orders.

CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST TO PURCHASE TICKETS

More information regarding the Bison vs. Gophers game can be found at the following links:

NDSU Alumni Association

GopherSports.com

goldenshower
05-04-2011, 05:55 PM

what do you mean "subpar talent"??? only people i have ever heard say that come from bisonville.

minnesota will be significantly better at all positions except punter(which is odd cause the kid gets a ton pf practice) compared to 06 and 07.

can ndsu say the same?

CAS4127
05-04-2011, 06:00 PM
what do you mean "subpar talent"??? only people i have ever heard say that come from bisonville.

minnesota will be significantly better at all positions except punter(which is odd cause the kid gets a ton pf practice) compared to 06 and 07.

can ndsu say the same?

#1: Kill has said as much himself on KFAN--paraphrasing "we have a long way to go but the cupboard is not necessarily bare".

#2: How's that? Are you saying you redshirted a bunch of good players and will be playing them and your new recruits? HTF are you going to be "significantly better at all positions" sans a change of personnel? Or are your saying Kill will coach'em up to be "significantly better". If the latter, that ain't sayin much, cuz they haven't been coached for shit that last several years--THEY SHOULD GET BETTER!!

OnTheFifty
05-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Seriously? Beating that idiot Ron Zook and his laughing band of clowns is a big thing? Christ, even that fool brewster beat Zook once and nearly did it a second time. Seriously? The Iowa win against a team that showed up looking like they would rather all be having a root canal than playing football on that frozen turd of a field in the dark on Thanksgiving weekend? The Iowa team that suffered a heart wrenching loss the week before to the Buckeyes which ended their hope of playing in January, while the goofers had a bye week to prepare?? With "positive momentum" like this, I don't understand why they aren't in the top 10 of most preseason polls!!!

OK Pantherhawk....all you have come up with so far to stir the pot for this game is some old Brewster quotes and Sid ramblings. Thats pretty good buletin board material there!

Oh, and you made fun of Kill's looks. That is pretty ironic considering we have all seen you pictures of you with your little light sabers and nice little red truck.

I think your little Hawkeyes have enough to worry about...maybe starting with "floyd" being at TCF....carry on.

MNLonghorn10
05-04-2011, 06:03 PM

can ndsu say the same?

your exact sentiments are echos from jayhawk fans.

"more talented players"

"new head coach"

"upgrades magically happening at every position"

"our fans dont care about this game"

goldenshower
05-04-2011, 06:27 PM
#1: Kill has said as much himself on KFAN--paraphrasing "we have a long way to go but the cupboard is not necessarily bare".

#2: How's that? Are you saying you redshirted a bunch of good players and will be playing them and your new recruits? HTF are you going to be "significantly better at all positions" sans a change of personnel? Or are your saying Kill will coach'em up to be "significantly better". If the latter, that ain't sayin much, cuz they haven't been coached for shit that last several years--THEY SHOULD GET BETTER!!

in comparison to 06 and 07 we are further ahead. jerry kill says that to please the hatred of gopher fans in relation to brewster. we will be middle of the road year one 6-7 games im positive of that.

i would say the closest group to a wash is the oline-new system but young highly recruited kids, i will say the current oline will be better

te-matt spaeth is an nfl back up-more of a blocker-eric lair and tyree euree are both more athletically gifted-both will play on sundays imo

wr-wheelwright was a d*ck tease like carlos silva(ex twin) great frame and speed but couldnt catch and was lazy-decker was a freshman and not really anything special yet.
currently i think dajon mcknight is better than both decker and wheelwright in 07. geshun harris and marcus jones in the slot are better in comparison to 2007

qb-gray is a huge upgrade over weber-with grays running ability i think he will take pressure off the oline to make the gophers look better than what they are in the run game as well as in the passing game.

rb-pinnix was a small runner who is equal to deleon eskeridge-which is serviceable but pinnix would have been a sweet 3rd down back not an every down kind of guy. duane bennet will start and donnell kirkwood is our bowling ball with eskeridge coming in for situations which pinnix should have done.

defense
dline i know we only had 9 sacks last season so trash me on that but i think that was due to coaching more than anything. our dline is way bigger, stronger, and faster if you go by the numbers. brandon kirskey is a guy many feel can be an all big ten caliber player. anthony jacobs is comeone kill is pretty high on and everyone knows the expectations that are on the shoulders of hageman. on the ends matt garin and kendall are to be solid pass rushers-garin i believe is a redshirt soph kgm is a also a redshirt soph?

in 07 we had vandesteeg who played with a broken hand most of the season and was really a waste of space. plus he was small at 250lbs

lb
strength of the current defense with a lot of depth and speed. brendan beal a florida transfer is a nfl body linebacker 6-3 245 had some injury problems hopefully thats over-but you dont get a scholarship at florida unless youre talented.
gary tinsley another big fast lineback and rallis who has become a stud. last is our speed guy keanon cooper-everyone in the big ten speaks of his talent-a little undersized for a lb but too big for a safety im excited to see how kill uses him

in 07 we had the slowest worst tackling lb's in all of college football-most d2 schools had better lb's than we did. scherels-too slow, hightower-really fast but couldnt tackle a pee wee football player.

cb
barring any injuries we have 2 good cb's-i guess that depends if micheal carter lives up to expectations. i think if stoudamire stays healthy this team can win 6+ games-he is fast, physical and i expect a big day for him against the bisons weak wr's. if you guys ran the spread i would be concerned because im not sold depth at cb is there at all. im hoping for these two to stay healthy.

in 2007 we had jamal harris-couldnt tackle, couldnt defend the pass, not sure how he started?

safety
this year we have to very good tacklers 6th yr senior kim royston and james manuel not sure how they will do against the pass but we know they can tackle.

in 07 we had barber who was good against the pass but like the rest of his homeboys couldnt tackle ww2 vets at a nursing home.

this is why i feel we are better at every position in comparison to 2007

Bison bison
05-04-2011, 07:09 PM
it also demonstrates how far a person will stretch things to back up previously stated b.s.

99Bison
05-04-2011, 07:31 PM
What happened to 06 comparison?

goldenshower
05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
it also demonstrates how far a person will stretch things to back up previously stated b.s.

What was stretched? Anyone that pays any attention to the big ten would agree that the 2007 team is no where near the talent of the 2011 gopher squad. I'm just happy you had a thoughtful response to discredit my opinion of the gopher roster. Well played by you!

goldenshower
05-04-2011, 07:42 PM
What happened to 06 comparison?

I had to do it on my phone and it wouldn't let me access the 06 roster and I could only really remember a couple players from that team,

I would still say on defense for sure in comparison to 06 we are better at every position except dend-vandesteeg and a great year in 06.

Offense-oline was better in 06, wash with the wr's, I was never a fan of cupito except when barber and maroney were in the backfield. Rb of 2011 are better than in 06-if russel didn't get into trouble and could have played I might reconsider

05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
What was stretched? Anyone that pays any attention to the big ten would agree that the 2007 team is no where near the talent of the 2011 gopher squad. I'm just happy you had a thoughtful response to discredit my opinion of the gopher roster. Well played by you!

And you have watched more Big 10 football this spring than this guy:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

Riiiiiiiiiight! Carry on Mr. 2007 AllOverAgain!

05-04-2011, 08:04 PM
in comparison to 06 and 07 we are further ahead. jerry kill says that to please the hatred of gopher fans in relation to brewster. we will be middle of the road year one 6-7 games im positive of that.

i would say the closest group to a wash is the oline-new system but young highly recruited kids, i will say the current oline will be better

te-matt spaeth is an nfl back up-more of a blocker-eric lair and tyree euree are both more athletically gifted-both will play on sundays imo

wr-wheelwright was a d*ck tease like carlos silva(ex twin) great frame and speed but couldnt catch and was lazy-decker was a freshman and not really anything special yet.
currently i think dajon mcknight is better than both decker and wheelwright in 07. geshun harris and marcus jones in the slot are better in comparison to 2007

qb-gray is a huge upgrade over weber-with grays running ability i think he will take pressure off the oline to make the gophers look better than what they are in the run game as well as in the passing game.

rb-pinnix was a small runner who is equal to deleon eskeridge-which is serviceable but pinnix would have been a sweet 3rd down back not an every down kind of guy. duane bennet will start and donnell kirkwood is our bowling ball with eskeridge coming in for situations which pinnix should have done.

defense
dline i know we only had 9 sacks last season so trash me on that but i think that was due to coaching more than anything. our dline is way bigger, stronger, and faster if you go by the numbers. brandon kirskey is a guy many feel can be an all big ten caliber player. anthony jacobs is comeone kill is pretty high on and everyone knows the expectations that are on the shoulders of hageman. on the ends matt garin and kendall are to be solid pass rushers-garin i believe is a redshirt soph kgm is a also a redshirt soph?

in 07 we had vandesteeg who played with a broken hand most of the season and was really a waste of space. plus he was small at 250lbs

lb
strength of the current defense with a lot of depth and speed. brendan beal a florida transfer is a nfl body linebacker 6-3 245 had some injury problems hopefully thats over-but you dont get a scholarship at florida unless youre talented.
gary tinsley another big fast lineback and rallis who has become a stud. last is our speed guy keanon cooper-everyone in the big ten speaks of his talent-a little undersized for a lb but too big for a safety im excited to see how kill uses him

in 07 we had the slowest worst tackling lb's in all of college football-most d2 schools had better lb's than we did. scherels-too slow, hightower-really fast but couldnt tackle a pee wee football player.

cb
barring any injuries we have 2 good cb's-i guess that depends if micheal carter lives up to expectations. i think if stoudamire stays healthy this team can win 6+ games-he is fast, physical and i expect a big day for him against the bisons weak wr's. if you guys ran the spread i would be concerned because im not sold depth at cb is there at all. im hoping for these two to stay healthy.

in 2007 we had jamal harris-couldnt tackle, couldnt defend the pass, not sure how he started?

safety
this year we have to very good tacklers 6th yr senior kim royston and james manuel not sure how they will do against the pass but we know they can tackle.

in 07 we had barber who was good against the pass but like the rest of his homeboys couldnt tackle ww2 vets at a nursing home.

this is why i feel we are better at every position in comparison to 2007
The post above is one of the most irrational, delusional, reaching straw grasps I have ever seen! Answer me; were you at the spring game or did you watch the replay???

goldenshower
05-04-2011, 08:11 PM
The post above is one of the most irrational, delusional, reaching straw grasps I have ever seen! Answer me; were you at the spring game or did you watch the replay???

i was at both the gopher spring game as well as the bison spring game.

i want to know what was irrational/delusional/etc? give me an example!

goldenshower
05-04-2011, 08:12 PM
And you have watched more Big 10 football this spring than this guy:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

Riiiiiiiiiight! Carry on Mr. 2007 AllOverAgain!

rittneberg wasnt at the minnesota spring game and if i was in his business i to would pick the gophers to rank near the bottom 2-3 teams in the big ten

344Johnson
05-04-2011, 08:16 PM
i was at both the gopher spring game as well as the bison spring game.

i want to know what was irrational/delusional/etc? give me an example!

The only thing I know is wrong is the comment about Spaeth. I love the Steelers so I will know all about him. He never has been a blocker. In fact, lots of Steeler fans want to cut him because he can't block at all. He is a big body to throw at in the red zone. When he played for the Gophers I believe he won the Mackey Award for nation's best TE. I'd have a hard time believing the Gophers have a better Tight-end than Matt Spaeth was.

goldenshower
05-04-2011, 08:30 PM
The only thing I know is wrong is the comment about Spaeth. I love the Steelers so I will know all about him. He never has been a blocker. In fact, lots of Steeler fans want to cut him because he can't block at all. He is a big body to throw at in the red zone. When he played for the Gophers I believe he won the Mackey Award for nation's best TE. I'd have a hard time believing the Gophers have a better Tight-end than Matt Spaeth was.

in college spaeth was a good run blocker. he averaged about 28 receptions a year

eric lair has started a single season and
his stats
rec yards att td long
39 526 13.5 2 44 43.8

spaeths best season on a better team in the eyes of bisonville
rec yrds att long td
47 564 12.0 48 4

spaeth played on teams with 1000 yard rushers and caught 109 balls in his career. in college he was a very good tight end but was a better blocker in college

lair will have more yards and close to the same amount of receptions as spaeth but in 2 seasons rather than 4

mnriverbison
05-04-2011, 08:34 PM

No doubt. And I think McNight is excellent, but in no way is he Decker at this point and the WR core as a whole is at best unproven.

gray is the x-factor. Truly Weber wasn't very accurate long either (despite being bailed out often by Decker) but he was undoubtedly a big ten QB. Gray's ceiling may be higher, but he has shown exactly nothing thus far as a passer. Until proven otherwise, we have to assume that he ain't ready

EndZoneQB
05-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I have to agree, Spaeth very much was a blocking tight end. Who was the TE that played before him?

CAS4127
05-04-2011, 08:36 PM
No doubt. And I think McNight is excellent, but in no way is he Decker at this point and the WR core as a whole is at best unproven.

gray is the x-factor. Truly Weber wasn't very accurate long either (despite being bailed out often by Decker) but he was undoubtedly a big ten QB. Gray's ceiling may be higher, but he has shown exactly nothing thus far as a passer. Until proven otherwise, we have to assume that he ain't ready

This^^^^^He played receiver last year for C's sake. Crowning him the second coming of Cam Newton at this stage is like stating the Gophers will win the Rose Bowl and Kill will be named coach of the year--that's Brewster-like talk!!

344Johnson
05-04-2011, 08:43 PM
in college spaeth was a good run blocker. he averaged about 28 receptions a year

eric lair has started a single season and
his stats
rec yards att td long
39 526 13.5 2 44 43.8

spaeths best season on a better team in the eyes of bisonville
rec yrds att long td
47 564 12.0 48 4

spaeth played on teams with 1000 yard rushers and caught 109 balls in his career. in college he was a very good tight end but was a better blocker in college

lair will have more yards and close to the same amount of receptions as spaeth but in 2 seasons rather than 4

Stats do not matter. But the other guys on here are saying he was a good run blocker so I'll take their word. All I know is in the pro's he is not at all.

goldenshower
05-04-2011, 08:44 PM

eric decker

2006 MIN 13 12 26 378 14.5 39 3
2007 MIN 12 12 68 909 13.6 59 9
2008 MIN 12 12 84 1074 12.8 75 7

in 3 yrs decker who i think is great, started 37 games

da'jon mcknight

2008 9 3 38 12.7 1 22 4.2
2009 13-6 17 311 18.3 0 53 23.9
2010 12-12 48 750 15.6 10 40 62.5

mcknight has started 18 games his 2 yrs of starting with brewster and weber has him with decker-like numbers. decker is special and caught everything, dajon has better speed and similar size.

i think there are some similarities in these 2 guy's careers at minnesota

goldenshower
05-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I have to agree, Spaeth very much was a blocking tight end. Who was the TE that played before him?

ben utecht

CAS4127
05-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Spaeth--bloodlines are from Mahnomen, MN, so he must be a tough son-of-a-bitch. Actually, I have met and talked with him personally a couple of times. Good kid and good head on his shoulders. And, I do watch him in NFL and he is a fairly good blocker IMO.

FYI from a trivia stanpoint: His dad grew up and played for Mahnomen, was recruited and played for Nebraska (All Big 12 Senior yr.) and was drafted by Buffalo as I recall--played for 3-4 years I believe.

05-04-2011, 08:52 PM
eric decker

2006 MIN 13 12 26 378 14.5 39 3
2007 MIN 12 12 68 909 13.6 59 9
2008 MIN 12 12 84 1074 12.8 75 7

in 3 yrs decker who i think is great, started 37 games

da'jon mcknight

2008 9 3 38 12.7 1 22 4.2
2009 13-6 17 311 18.3 0 53 23.9
2010 12-12 48 750 15.6 10 40 62.5

mcknight has started 18 games his 2 yrs of starting with brewster and weber has him with decker-like numbers. decker is special and caught everything, dajon has better speed and similar size.

i think there are some similarities in these 2 guy's careers at minnesota

They are very similar...............in that both are hurt all the time.....

99Bison
05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
So the proposal is this... The 07 players, most of which (~9 seniors in 06) were coming off of an 06 season with a bowl eligible season (7-6), were less talented players that will be here in 11, most of whom are coming off of a 3-9 season?

If you didn't pile on the players and talked about the change in coaching from 06-07 and then from 10-11, that's potentially buyable, but conjecture about players being better/worse is a grand canyon stretch of optimism.

Look yea, most people understand this is everyone's time to be optimistic (same applies to many comments on the board about Bison team as well). But stating this conjecture as fact is well... amusing.

344Johnson
05-04-2011, 09:27 PM
So the proposal is this... The 07 players, most of which (~9 seniors in 06) were coming off of an 06 season with a bowl eligible season (7-6), were less talented players that will be here in 11, most of whom are coming off of a 3-9 season?

If you didn't pile on the players and talked about the change in coaching from 06-07 and then from 10-11, that's potentially buyable, but conjecture about players being better/worse is a grand canyon stretch of optimism.

Look yea, most people understand this is everyone's time to be optimistic (same applies to many comments on the board about Bison team as well). But stating this conjecture as fact is well... amusing.

Blowing a HUGE lead in the fourth quarter against Texas Tech when they were good.

Answer Guy
05-04-2011, 09:47 PM
FYI from a trivia stanpoint: His dad grew up and played for Mahnomen, was recruited and played for Nebraska (All Big 12 Senior yr.) and was drafted by Buffalo as I recall--played for 3-4 years I believe.

Ken Spaeth drafted in 5th round by Buffalo in 1978. NFL.com doesn't have any stats or information on him. Can't tell if he ever played or not.

http://www.nfl.com/players/kenspaeth/profile?id=SPA079102

Does former ND Attorney General Nick Spaeth have any Mahnomen ties?

EndZoneQB
05-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Spaeth--bloodlines are from Mahnomen, MN, so he must be a tough son-of-a-bitch. Actually, I have met and talked with him personally a couple of times. Good kid and good head on his shoulders. And, I do watch him in NFL and he is a fairly good blocker IMO.

Kid I went to high school and worked with was cousins with him. No idea he'd be playing on Sundays when he first went there.

ben utecht

There it is. I remember him being better than Spaeth.

IzzyFlexion
05-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Ken Spaeth drafted in 5th round by Buffalo in 1978. NFL.com doesn't have any stats or information on him. Can't tell if he ever played or not.

http://www.nfl.com/players/kenspaeth/profile?id=SPA079102

Does former ND Attorney General Nick Spaeth have any Mahnomen ties?

I don't know about Nick, but I picked up these 3 beauties at a garage sale last week. I love how hostile they make me feel when I wear one of them to church.

http://www.rockmount.com/ties/images/441-Indian-tie-em.jpg Sorry, you really gotta look at them closely.

mgbison
05-05-2011, 03:41 AM
If gray can't pass he's going to get murdered and your receivers will be useless.

05-05-2011, 01:31 PM
If? The guy is a disaster in the pocket...just ask Iowa State!! Any team with faster than average 'backers will shut this circus down cold in 2011.

goldenshower
05-06-2011, 12:18 AM

You're right, how dare I assume the gopher players are more athletic than the 06 and 07 teams? Its just make believe! Also how can I truly believe the gophers are capable of doubling their win total next season with more experienced players and a competent coaching staff?

I'm still curious of a true example of why my player assesments are so off base?

344Johnson
05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
You're right, how dare I assume the gopher players are more athletic than the 06 and 07 teams? Its just make believe! Also how can I truly believe the gophers are capable of doubling their win total next season with more experienced players and a competent coaching staff?

I'm still curious of a true example of why my player assesments are so off base?

He simply thinks it is weird to assume they will be better than a bowl team after last year's struggles.