PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think will be an impact player?

CaBisonFan
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Who do you think will be a potential impact player this fall?

If you can...please give us a little bio...any stats from the past...& not just a name.

I know of a few obvious ones...but I'm gonna leave it up to you guys. You've seen them more than I have.

Best team since 2007 is on the way.

KilldeerBison
04-26-2011, 09:26 PM
#20, Colten Heagle is a good one to keep watch on, I'd just use last year as an example of his potential. He seems to be in the right place at the right time, doesn't miss many tackles and is really hard to block.

Gully
04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Think any true freshmen will play much? Probably not as many as last year just because we're deeper now.

CaBisonFan
04-26-2011, 10:23 PM
#20, Colten Heagle is a good one to keep watch on, I'd just use last year as an example of his potential. He seems to be in the right place at the right time, doesn't miss many tackles and is really hard to block.

He was a lot of fun to watch. Seems to have the instincts and loves to hit.

HerdBot
04-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Guys who take the next step
Heagle- huge impact as a true freshman
Jirik - 2nd in sacks as a backup.
Williams - lead team in pass defenses as freshman
Willson - force as a juco from day one.

Emerging
Emmanuel - hype seems to be real
Gebhardt - already may be our best receiver
Smith- too athletic to not make an impact. Good hands so far

Guys who we need to take the next step but too early to tell
Jensen - most important position
Perry - solid as freshman but no longer plays next to Gratzek
Drevlow - tbd looks good so far

I'm leaving Turner off the list since he's moving to the toughest position and the jury is still out on him

BisonNeil
04-27-2011, 01:43 AM
Guys who take the next step
Heagle- huge impact as a true freshman
Jirik - 2nd in sacks as a backup.
Williams - lead team in pass defenses as freshman
Willson - force as a juco from day one.

Emerging
Emmanuel - hype seems to be real
Gebhardt - already may be our best receiver
Smith- too athletic to not make an impact. Good hands so far

Guys who we need to take the next step but too early to tell
Jensen - most important position
Perry - solid as freshman but no longer plays next to Gratzek
Drevlow - tbd looks good so far

I'm leaving Turner off the list since he's moving to the toughest position and the jury is still out on him

That's too bad because there is no question in my mind that he is the real deal.

If he stays healthy, I also think Ojuri is going to make an impact. As Bohl said, when NDSU has had a dynamic running game it has been when they have had two backs in the rotation like Roehl and Paschall. I think DJ and Sam will make a huge impact together.

This is probably too early, but I think a kid to watch who is also going to turn some heads very soon at OLB is the kid from Munich, Travis Beck. Gotta love those ND class "B" kids!

ndsubison1
04-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Jury still out on Turner? News to me.

We know the obvious impact players. My sleeper impact player is WR Cooper Wahlo. I said the same thing last year but sometimes it takes some players more time to develop. I think he will get some looks early and really help us at the WR position. A nice player to step in for Titus Mack.

344Johnson
04-27-2011, 01:59 AM
Marcus Williams. I know, real original, but he has the ability to be a very good corner. I have a concern when mentioning anyone in our secondary, we gave up a ton of passing yards, but Marcus takes some risks, I like that.

ndsubison1
04-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Aireal Boyd? He might be our nickel back

X-Factor
04-27-2011, 02:22 AM

I'll second that. In my opinion, he will be the best player on our entire roster as early as this fall. he could very well be already

344Johnson
04-27-2011, 02:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtJOzE1GJWw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jplpjCaec&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7RuxX8u24&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7e9Y7xo0no&feature=related

Lets see if he has any eligibility left. Also we should see if he has the skills to translate to football.

HerdBot
04-27-2011, 04:08 AM

We know the obvious impact players. My sleeper impact player is WR Cooper Wahlo. I said the same thing last year but sometimes it takes some players more time to develop. I think he will get some looks early and really help us at the WR position. A nice player to step in for Titus Mack.

How many games at the left tackle position? Zero. Jirik and Emmanuel got 4 sacks at RDE. How many were against Turner? Left tackle is the toughest position by far. Right tackle is much easier. Its too early to claim he's the best. Has the potential to do it.

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Juckem.
is that enough characters?

bisonfan08
04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Heagle is already an IMPACT player, I would not be wanting to go across the middle with this guy sitting back there or you will for sure feel an impact. I think Ojuri is gonna come back huge for us this year, if we want to make a deep playoff run we need to keep DJ healthy and around 20 carries a game so getting 5-10 for Ojuri and not lose a step really talent wise on those carries is huge. Bohl himself said if DJ wasn't here Ojuri has all the talent to be the star back for this team. As far as first year new impact players go I think Gebhart is ready to step in alongside Halloway and contribute right away and I think Vraa will be solid as well. On defense I'm looking for Emanuel to live up to the hype and contribute. Guys I think need to step up and be impact players are Pierre and Perry. Replacing Gratzek with someone who can fill that void is a must and QB's are going to learn in a hurry if they haven't already not to throw Williams way so the corners opposite him better be ready to step up, cuz they will be busy.

HerdBot
04-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Heagle is already an IMPACT player, I would not be wanting to go across the middle with this guy sitting back there or you will for sure feel an impact. I think Ojuri is gonna come back huge for us this year, if we want to make a deep playoff run we need to keep DJ healthy and around 20 carries a game so getting 5-10 for Ojuri and not lose a step really talent wise on those carries is huge. Bohl himself said if DJ wasn't here Ojuri has all the talent to be the star back for this team. As far as first year new impact players go I think Gebhart is ready to step in alongside Halloway and contribute right away and I think Vraa will be solid as well. On defense I'm looking for Emanuel to live up to the hype and contribute. Guys I think need to step up and be impact players are Pierre and Perry. Replacing Gratzek with someone who can fill that void is a must and QB's are going to learn in a hurry if they haven't already not to throw Williams way so the corners opposite him better be ready to step up, cuz they will be busy.

Heagle was amazing as a freshman but his best football is ahead of him. Pretty scary.

HerdBot
04-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Juckem.
is that enough characters?

I hope so. We need him to be really good really fast but he's still behind Drevlow on the depth chart so Drevlow has to be good. But Juckem is much bigger than Drevlow. Perry is going to need to be a stud too.

Its tough replacing Gratzek but it looks like were probaby more solid as a unit. We have 3 capable guys in the rotation with Juckem, Drevlow, and Perry.

bisonfan08
04-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Heagle was amazing as a freshman but his best football is ahead of him. Pretty scary.

I agree, I was referring strictly to the actual impacting of skulls he does during a game, he's without a doubt my favorite player on this roster, there's nothing like a hard-hitting safety. He still needs work on coverage skills as he looked a little lost at times last year, but with another offseason to learn the defense he's gonna be a star if he can stay healthy.

BisonNeil
04-27-2011, 05:20 PM
I hope so. We need him to be really good really fast but he's still behind Drevlow on the depth chart so Drevlow has to be good. But Juckem is much bigger than Drevlow. Perry is going to need to be a stud too.

Its tough replacing Gratzek but it looks like were probaby more solid as a unit. We have 3 capable guys in the rotation with Juckem, Drevlow, and Perry.

Another class "B" guy, god I love 'em :)

344Johnson
04-27-2011, 05:25 PM
I like the way they play. They got a bit of an attitude, those class "B" guys. Either way, 3 way rotation at D-Tackle sounds fantastic. Keep the boys fresh, and if we have a Gratzek situation where one goes down, we still got two of them ready to roll.

X-Factor
04-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Drevlow has a work ethic like you would not believe. It does not surprise me at all to see him in the running for a starting spot.

Scooter1
04-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Kyle Emanuel - I like everything about this kid. He's strong, fast and if he can put on 5-10 lb over the summer, he should be OK playing at 245 at the DE position.

Carlton Littlejohn- I think that this kid is going to change the way NDSU runs linebacking rotations because we will have 6 guys that will be able to step in without a huge drop off in talent. We might even have 7 guys. (Beck)

Zach Colvin - What I saw on film when he was a HS senior impressed. It is to bad that he has to wait to see the field until fall. I truly think this kid will contribute this year and lock down the other CB spot by the time he is a sophomore.

Trever Gebhart. He looks like he runs good routes and can get separation from the guys covering him. I think he will be the go to receiver by game 5.

True freshman Frank Veldman - He's my first bet for position player that may get the red shirt pulled.

DjKyRo
04-27-2011, 09:20 PM
True freshman Frank Veldman - He's my first bet for position player that may get the red shirt pulled.

I like the breakdown, but Jordan Champion is likely the "first" to get a redshirt pulled. Still very few corners on the roster and even if he wasn't very impressive he'd likely have it pulled for numbers. Don't know what Jordan can contribute but I think it's very likely he plays as a tFr.

Scooter1
04-27-2011, 09:32 PM
You may be right about Champion...but, if Colvin comes in and impresses we would have Marcus Williams, Ariel Boyd, Zach Colvin and Brendin Pierre at corners and Eaves, Dudzik, Heagle, Ollman, and Pike at FS/SS. I think Veldman looks more mature than the other HS freshmen at the DB spot.

- I could be completely wrong.

Bison"FANatic"
04-27-2011, 09:41 PM
I think Derrick Lee will have a good shot as a true freshman to step in and play at tight end right away.

We have had very good success at pulling redshirts here lately I hope they don't get to aggressive in pulling them though.

Now I have not been to many practices or scrimmages but the ones I was at it seemed like Vraa was going against Williams quite a bit more than the others and he can make most people not look great. So a question I have to those that have seen more this spring. Is Gebhart that far ahead of Vraa or is Gebhart just been being lined up against the second corner more?

99Bison
04-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I think Derrick Lee will have a good shot as a true freshman to step in and play at tight end right away.

We have had very good success at pulling redshirts here lately I hope they don't get to aggressive in pulling them though.

Now I have not been to many practices or scrimmages but the ones I was at it seemed like Vraa was going against Williams quite a bit more than the others and he can make most people not look great. So a question I have to those that have seen more this spring. Is Gebhart that far ahead of Vraa or is Gebhart just been being lined up against the second corner more?

I've seen just a couple too, but yes it does seem Vraa is getting the consistent Williams treatment, vs. not so much for Gebhart.

sambini
04-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Esley Thornton....

56BISON73
04-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Esley Thornton....

Oh no---now you went and did it.:D