PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft national holiday...

bisonaudit
04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
... in England.

They get Friday off because everyone is going to be up all night (5 or 6 hours ahead of Eastern time) fretting over who their favorite club is going to pick. I even heard one of the pubs is flying Fireman Ed in for the viewing party.

TheBisonator
04-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Seems like they really love the NFL in England. Makes me wonder why the London Monarchs of NFL Europe folded many years before the entire league did...

spelunker64
04-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Arent they getting Friday off for that stupid wedding we keep hearing about...Didn't we kick them out of our country twice like 200 years ago, why do we have to hear this crap still

spelunker64
04-27-2011, 01:09 PM
But i real NFL draft news, really wish they would get rid of this 4 day marathon format and go back to the all weekend draft. It was great getting up with a hangover from Chubs the night before and lounging around all day on Sat & Sun watching football TV in April

onbison09
04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Can't get pumped for the draft with the lockout. Plus my team picks last :nod:

bisonmike2
04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Can't get pumped for the draft with the lockout. Plus my team picks last :nod:

Exactly. Most boring draft in recent memory and I don't get the whole thursday through sunday draft. When do the Packers pick? Sunday? Doesn't matter anyway. Pieces are in place. We should be pretty good.

onbison09
04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
If it started Friday, I think that would be better.

tony
04-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Prince Big Ears married Diana in July 1981
This guy is marrying this other girl in April 2011

The first space shuttle launch was in April 1981.
The last space shuttle launch in late June 2011.

No idea what this means.

I remember skipping out of school to watch the shuttle launch and they were blabbing about some minutiae related to the Chuck and Diana marriage - I think they were actually reporting that Diana had passed her virginity test (yeah, rule was that if you are a chick marrying into the Circus Royale, you have to get your parts inspected - probably nominally by a guy who inherited the position.) Reasons #1431 and #4311 to despise monarchies.

bisonaudit
04-27-2011, 04:48 PM
What lockout? The judge just put the kibosh on that. There's now a stong change that there will be football this fall. Perhaps not a labor agreement but football.

I was trying to be ironical. After all what's more unhinged; hysteria over some wedding or all the non-sense that surrounds the draft? It's the most borring televison program of the year. And it's really, really hard to predict who's going to be any good so basically it boils down to drawing lots for who gets to overpay the most. Especially tonight.

onbison09
04-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Prince Big Ears married Diana in July 1981
This guy is marrying this other girl in April 2011

The first space shuttle launch was in April 1981.
The last space shuttle launch in late June 2011.

No idea what this means.

I remember skipping out of school to watch the shuttle launch and they were blabbing about some minutiae related to the Chuck and Diana marriage - I think they were actually reporting that Diana had passed her virginity test (yeah, rule was that if you are a chick marrying into the Circus Royale, you have to get your parts inspected - probably nominally by a guy who inherited the position.) Reasons #1431 and #4311 to despise monarchies.

I think that's crap based on a quick Google search.

tony
04-27-2011, 07:25 PM
I think that's crap based on a quick Google search.

Hehe, which part? Or is it everything I post? :)

Based on a less quick internet search, I could be confusing the 1980's network news reports about Diana's virginity and the "make sure she is good breeding stock" test. That could be it... I remember some TV news chick raving about how romantic the marriage was and immediately segueing into something that made it sound like Diana was a broodmare up for auction.

onbison09
04-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Hehe, which part? Or is it everything I post? :)

Based on a less quick internet search, I could be confusing the 1980's network news reports about Diana's virginity and the "make sure she is good breeding stock" test. That could be it... I remember some TV news chick raving about how romantic the marriage was and immediately segueing into something that made it sound like Diana was a broodmare up for auction.

I think she had to prove she was healthy (i.e. able to have a kid) but the virginity thing wasn't a huge deal.

tony
04-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I think she had to prove she was healthy (i.e. able to have a kid) but the virginity thing wasn't a huge deal.

Bah! You are arguing with somebody who lived through the events! :)

Seriously, it was really creepy.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/04/a-very-different-engagement-the-cult-of-dianas-virginity.html

onbison09
04-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Bah! You are arguing with somebody who lived through the events! :)

Seriously, it was really creepy.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2011/04/a-very-different-engagement-the-cult-of-dianas-virginity.html

I stand corrected :D

sambini
04-28-2011, 06:11 AM
Who goes number 1?

JMB
04-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Who goes number 1?

Her husband did.. oh wait you were talking about something else weren't you...

NDSUstudent
04-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Vikings take the QB I wanted all along but it was about 10 picks too soon.

I'm happy though, he fits the Vikings offensive scheme. If you are going to take a QB make sure you get the right guy.

Ross
04-29-2011, 02:09 AM

I'm happy though, he fits the Vikings offensive scheme. If you are going to take a QB make sure you get the right guy.

I just don't understand how they can not take Fairley at that spot. Arguably the most dominant DT in the draft this year, also with Pat Williams possibly not returning this fall. I know the Vikes need that QB but Gabbert was gone and the way I see it, the others (Dalton, Ponder, Mallet) are about a horse a piece. Another consequence of passing on Fairley is that it gave the Lions one of the best defensive lines in the entire NFL! I see the second straight season of the Vikes bringing up the rear in the NFC north.

DjKyRo
04-29-2011, 02:10 AM

I'm reserving all second-guessing for tomorrow, I'm just jacked we finally got a QB. We could have picked up Nate Enderle and I'd be of this same mindset. Let's fill out this draft and get to work.

BisonNolesFan77
04-29-2011, 02:30 AM
I just don't understand how they can not take Fairley at that spot. Arguably the most dominant DT in the draft this year, also with Pat Williams possibly not returning this fall. I know the Vikes need that QB but Gabbert was gone and the way I see it, the others (Dalton, Ponder, Mallet) are about a horse a piece. Another consequence of passing on Fairley is that it gave the Lions one of the best defensive lines in the entire NFL! I see the second straight season of the Vikes bringing up the rear in the NFC north.

Pat Williams and Nick Fairley are different types of DT's. Pat is a classic NT, 1 Tech., space eating DT. Fairley is a 3 tech., in other words, Kevin Williams. Also keep in mind that Fairley played at Aurburn at about 299, he did put on a few pounds, but he would still be very undersized at the 1 tech. DT spot.

Fairley has got some character issues as well, and if the Vikings are going to take a DT with issues, I would much rather see them take Marvin Austin out of UNC in the 2nd if he is available, although I hope address the OL in the 2nd.

Ponder is the perfect West Coast QB and a great fit for the Vikings. He comes out of a Pro Style offense where he was in control of the offense, nothing they ask him to do in the NFL will be something he didn't do while at FSU. He comes from a great coach, Jimbo Fisher is one of the best QB coachs in college football. He's got a little above average arm strength, very good accuracy, good wheels, and makes good decisions with the football. Above all, the kid is a true leader, he more or less held FSU's program together while they were enduring a lame duck HC who couldn't realize his glory days were well past him and walk away from the game. Very smart, very well spoken.

BisonNolesFan77
04-29-2011, 02:32 AM

Vikings were in a tough spot, couldn't really trade back after Washington traded to #16. Ponder thought he was going to Washington at #10 or Jacksonville at #16.

I am a bit biased, but I love the pick.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2011, 02:38 AM
Yeah I love it. Smart, tough and he is a leader. If he can stay healthy he could have a solid NFL career, like Noles said he can step into the Vikings offense and play right away if needed.

I'll take Ponder all day over Dalton and Mallet. The only other QB I was really intrigued with was Locker. Now hopefully the Vikes get some help on the OL to protect him, the Lions are putting together a scary good DL.

MNLonghorn10
04-29-2011, 03:57 AM
im on board. i was hoping we'd get a qb, and like everyone else...knew newton and gabbert would be gone by 12.

im glad we're not going into camps with webb, scrub vet and a ricky stanzi

DIBISON
04-29-2011, 04:06 AM
Ponder should not have been a #12 pick. Reach by the Vikings but they were desperate. Ponder was expected to go in round 2 by all experts so by picking him that high they did not get true value.

Todd Mcsay is just talking about this now on ESPN. Said Ponder is maybe the most NFL ready right now but his selection at #12 was not warranted and could cause long-term damange to the organization because of the reach to get him.

Notice that there were not any other quarterbacks selected in round one after Ponder. Don't have to read between the lines Viking fans!

MNLonghorn10
04-29-2011, 04:18 AM
Ponder should not have been a #12 pick. Reach by the Vikings but they were desperate. Ponder was expected to go in round 2 by all experts so by picking him that high they did not get true value.

Todd Mcsay is just talking about this now on ESPN. Said Ponder is maybe the most NFL ready right now but his selection at #12 was not warranted and could cause long-term damange to the organization because of the reach to get him.

Notice that there were not any other quarterbacks selected in round one after Ponder. Don't have to read between the lines Viking fans!

i hate the word reach. especially in the nfl draft.

theres so many damn football players out there. this guy plays a position we need to focus on most. i have no problem getting him when we could've, especially if we had those players available(gone now) graded slightly higher than those who'll be there in the upcoming rounds, opposed to the gap between ponder and the next set of qb's being much wider

i mean, we have no players on the team from the 05 draft. draft value picks are so overrated this time of year...we'll all forget where ponder was picked if he wins the job and looks damn good doing it. he'll then just be known as 1st round pick.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2011, 04:37 AM
Solid take from Kevin Seifert...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/26449/26449

ndsubison1
04-29-2011, 09:12 AM
another sweet pick for the vikings. ponder = john david booty 2.0. maybe they can get luck next year

tcbison
04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
With the Vikings reaching on picking a QB at #12 that helps the Packers get more protection for their franchise QB. I like it!

bisonmike2
04-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Hard to judge the Vikings pick. I'm sure they tried to move back, but if nobody wants too, then what do you do other than take the guy you like. To be safe I would have picked Prince A-ne-annot-gonna-work-here and then picked up a QB in the second. It's possible they could have gotten Dalton or Mallet in the second. I think not having that 3rd rounder really had them stuck and prevented them from moving up. They know how to pick talent in the first round, look no further than AP and Harvin so if you're a die hard Vikings fan you should feel good about this pick. But since it's the vikings and they'll find a way to screw it up I give this pick an F grade (B- if it were any other team). :)

onbison09
04-29-2011, 07:58 PM
DA Bears! http://deadspin.com/#!5797033/the-bears-forgot-to-report-their-draft+day-trade-so-it-never-went-through

JMB
04-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Personally I think I would have preferred the Vikings take Prince Whatshisface the CB from Nebraska. 1) The Vikings Secondary needs some work, 2) with the labor stuff going on I am not sure a rookie QB is going to have time to work out with the team and get comfortable with the system before opening weekend. Just my 2 Cents.

ndsubison1
04-30-2011, 01:32 AM
ponders not gonna start anyways. vikings are better off going with a veteran qb

Bison"FANatic"
04-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Congrats to Arkin (T) Missouri St Bears on going the Cowboys

JMB
04-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Does drafting a quarterback first round help the Vikings on their stadium project? Does it help generate some buzz around the franchise and get the fan base excited?

J

Bison"FANatic"
04-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Cincy with one of the last picks next, a Bison maybe??????

bisonmike2
05-01-2011, 04:55 PM
since there is no cba in place teams probably won't be signing any non-drafted free agents right?

Hammersmith
05-01-2011, 05:02 PM
since there is no cba in place teams probably won't be signing any non-drafted free agents right?

Unless a judge ends the lockout for good, in which case last year's rules would be in place. Tomorrow will be a big day to find out which ways things will go.

NorthernBison
05-01-2011, 05:41 PM

Players hoping for a free agent contract might be totally out of luck. If the lockout is not lifted and this drags out, the NFL is almost certain to reduce the number of players teams are allowed to bring to a shortened training camp.

This year's crop of free agent hopefulls might never get a chance to show their skills to anybody. Too bad really for guys like Gratzek.

EndZoneQB
05-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Players hoping for a free agent contract might be totally out of luck. If the lockout is not lifted and this drags out, the NFL is almost certain to reduce the number of players teams are allowed to bring to a shortened training camp.

This year's crop of free agent hopefulls might never get a chance to show their skills to anybody. Too bad really for guys like Gratzek.

Gratzek is done with football.

NorthernBison
05-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Gratzek is done with football.

I switch my example to Arndt. All hope is not lost but the numbers of guys getting looks might be smaller and they certainly won't get as much time unless the labor situation gets settled.

The same is actually true for the later round draft picks. With an abbreviated camp, those that get cut won't easily find another team that has the time to give them a look.

TheBisonator
05-01-2011, 11:46 PM
21 FCS players drafted this year. How does that compare to other years??

56BISON73
05-02-2011, 02:21 AM
What happened with Gatlin?

Tatanka
05-02-2011, 02:50 AM
What happened with Gatlin?

Not drafted. Presumably waiting on word regarding undrafted free agency although the lockout is hosing that up pretty good.