PDA

View Full Version : An outstanding member of Bison - Letter to editor, Forum - Sam Ojuri

99Bison
04-26-2011, 04:00 PM
"An outstanding member of Bison
I just wanted to take this time to call out a great experience with the North Dakota State University Bison football team, and in particular, running back Sam Ojuri."

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/317368/group/Opinion/

CaBisonFan
04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Wow...........way to go Sam !!! That's the real world behind the game.

Thanks 99.

GoRams
04-26-2011, 04:13 PM
That's awesome to hear this kind of story! Great idea to put it in the paper also. Out of 100 guys there are some trouble makers, but the majority are guys like this.

BisonBabe
04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
We need more of these kind of letters/stories to make it to the paper. As with all things bad news/customer service travels faster than good.

I make it a point to call business from time to time to let them know how good they are doing. It does not take much time to go out of the way to do this and it will make somebodies day.

Congrats to Sam for casting a wonderful light on the whole NDSU family today.

tony
04-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Nice effort by Ojuri to be an ambassador for his program.

Notorious
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Can someone paste here....barracuda at work blocks the forum for some reason.

CAS4127
04-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I just wanted to take this time to call out a great experience with the North Dakota State University Bison football team, and in particular, running back Sam Ojuri.

Two weeks back, I took my 4-year-old son to see the Harlem Globetrotters at the Fargodome. While walking into the dome from the parking lot around 6 p.m., the Bison practice was just ending, and the players were heading in. I stopped my son and pointed them out, as Bison football rules his young world.

Ojuri saw us and immediately walked over and introduced himself, totally unprompted. After an introduction and conversation, he was gracious enough for a quick photo with my son, patiently and with courtesy taking the time for a young fan. The photo not only made it to show-and-tell but also sits on his nightstand.

We look forward to watching Ojuri shine on the football field this fall, as he certainly did off the field.

EndZoneQB
04-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Damn, that is AWESOME. Glad he stuck with the program, he is a kid that gets IT!

344Johnson
04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
This brings up another awesome Bison moment.

When I was in early elementary school, I dug through all of our old tapes and found all my dad's old recorded 80's and early 90's Bison tapes. Watched all of them about a jillion times, I knew what happened on every play. Anyway, Jeff Bentrim was my favorite player on the tapes. My mom called up NDSU and they helped her find his location. She asked him if he'd send me an autograph for Christmas.

Sure enough I open all of my presents and my mom pulls out one last present. Jeff wrote a page-long letter and sent a framed photo with an autograph. I thought that was going above and beyond what was being asked of him. I got a lot of cool things throughout my short time on Earth, but that present is the only one that still sits on my dresser by my bed.

Bison"FANatic"
04-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Character, Ojuri had it on that day. Keep it up.

bison boy
04-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Thats great to here some good things about these kids , instead of the fourm always reporting the negitive

CaBisonFan
04-26-2011, 09:06 PM
What year of eligibility will Sam be in this fall?

I've been looking forward to seeing him on the field in a big way. I predict that he will be a huge impact player...and by the sound of this article...a leader.

KilldeerBison
04-26-2011, 09:21 PM
What year of eligibility will Sam be in this fall?

I've been looking forward to seeing him on the field in a big way. I predict that he will be a huge impact player...and by the sound of this article...a leader.

On Gobison, it says he is a sophomore (2011 - 2012 season).

CaBisonFan
04-26-2011, 09:22 PM
On Gobison, it says he is a sophomore (2011 - 2012 season).

Thanks KilldeerBison

344Johnson
04-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Hopefully he can be a good role model for the next few years. On Bison!

IzzyFlexion
04-27-2011, 01:11 AM
That's awesome to hear this kind of story! Great idea to put it in the paper also. Out of 100 guys there are some trouble makers, but the majority are guys like this.

Maybe a good idea for a game day sign:

mOJURIty Rules!!

Nice story.

344Johnson
04-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Maybe a good idea for a game day sign:

mOJURIty Rules!!

Nice story.

YES! hey tony can we get a 'like' button like facebook, for the sole purpose of me liking this comment? I refuse to use the rep feature to show my approval.

THEsocalledfan
04-27-2011, 12:46 PM
This brings up another awesome Bison moment.

When I was in early elementary school, I dug through all of our old tapes and found all my dad's old recorded 80's and early 90's Bison tapes. Watched all of them about a jillion times, I knew what happened on every play. Anyway, Jeff Bentrim was my favorite player on the tapes. My mom called up NDSU and they helped her find his location. She asked him if he'd send me an autograph for Christmas.

Sure enough I open all of my presents and my mom pulls out one last present. Jeff wrote a page-long letter and sent a framed photo with an autograph. I thought that was going above and beyond what was being asked of him. I got a lot of cool things throughout my short time on Earth, but that present is the only one that still sits on my dresser by my bed.

Darn it Johnson, you made me cry with that story.

344Johnson
04-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Darn it Johnson, you made me cry with that story.

:( I apologize. It was pretty cool though.

roadwarrior
04-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Jeff Kolpack posted a pic of Ojuri with his 4yo fan:

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

THEsocalledfan
04-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Jeff Kolpack posted a pic of Ojuri with his 4yo fan:

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

My goodness, Ojuri looks even more athletic than Tatanka.

bisonmike2
04-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Thats great to here some good things about these kids , instead of the fourm always reporting the negitive

Yeah, but unfortunately the GF Herald ran the pic of Ojuri and the little kid with the headline

"Bison FB Player Photographed Touching 4 Year Old Boy"

RowdyRabbit
04-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Awesome story!

You can bet that 4 year old has a new favorite Bison player.

TransAmBison
04-29-2011, 10:29 PM
My goodness, the 4 yr old looks even more athletic than Tatanka.
FIFY...........:D

SlickVic
04-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Nice effort by Ojuri to be an ambassador for his program.

speaking of ambassadors i beleive its about time that you free lakes bison +++++++++++++++

Sportsmanship of Bison great

Randy Bentley, Billings, Mont.
Published: December 10, 2010 12:00:00 AM CST

I traveled to Bozeman, Mont., and was disappointed that our Montana State Bobcats lost to your North Dakota State University Bison. Having said that, you folks in North Dakota should be very proud of the young men on your team. They played well!

I also wanted to comment on your fans who attended the game. Ninety-nine percent of your fans were some of the most courteous and friendly folks that I and my family have ever met, and a hell of a lot of fun, I might add. The North Dakota fans were a pleasure to be around, especially the young man in the yellow corduroy pants and green wig who was accompanied by a huge young man, who if memory serves me, was in a utility business in Fargo. My daughter thought they, as well as many others, were great and taught her what sportsmanship was all about.

Best of luck in the playoffs..

IzzyFlexion
04-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Why is Ojuri wearing his shoulder pads??
.What?.......Are you serious?? OK, never mind.

WYOBISONMAN
04-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Ojuri is representing NDSU very, very well!

SDbison
04-30-2011, 03:28 AM
speaking of ambassadors i beleive its about time that you free lakes bison +++++++++++++++
Yep, Lakes and unbison........great Bison fans, but politics runs bisonville just like everywhere else.

JMB
04-30-2011, 04:25 PM

On the other hand if Ojuri continued to break the same team rules (I have no idea what he did and it is not important) he would no longer be part of the team no matter how good of an ambassador he is.

By the way, good job Mr. Ojuri, great to see you take time for the kids!

A1pigskin
04-30-2011, 08:13 PM
This was a nice article.

CHADSTAUS
05-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I had the same experience with Jeff Bentrim and Mike Favor at a basketball game many years ago. I was about 8-9 years old, and still remember it. Great story.

:judges:

SDbison
05-01-2011, 04:05 PM
I had the same experience with Jeff Bentrim and Mike Favor at a basketball game many years ago. I was about 8-9 years old, and still remember it. Great story.

:judges:

About ten years ago Jeff Bentrim stopped by a Bison football watch party I arrranged at a Sioux Falls area bar. I had not met him until then. After talking with him for 20 minutes or so I ended up with even more respect for him as a person in addition to what I had as the Bison athlete. He is very humble and whenever I complimented something he had done he gave credit for his success to his teammates. He treated me like I was someone that had known him for years. I guess in a way I did by watching all those great football games he played in.

skolbrother
05-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Sam Ojuri is getting rave reviews from the coaches as well! He will, I expect get about 40% of the carries this year.

When young athletes receive a personal note/letter from a meaningful college player it amazing. My oldest boy wrote a fan letter to someone playing a college sport who wrote back a 2 page letter and an invitation to meet him...like that is not powerful!! Wow, congrats to Sam for being a good person in the scope of things!!

DjKyRo
05-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Sam Ojuri is getting rave reviews from the coaches as well! He will, I expect get about 40% of the carries this year.

When young athletes receive a personal note/letter from a meaningful college player it amazing. My oldest boy wrote a fan letter to someone playing a college sport who wrote back a 2 page letter and an invitation to meet him...like that is not powerful!! Wow, congrats to Sam for being a good person in the scope of things!!

I don't see him leeching that many away from DJ. I think the coaches learned last season that the key to victory with the passing game the way it is is to mash #8 on the defense 20-25 times and see how many he breaks. Sigers is a good change-of-pace back because he brings a different style of rushing and has game-changing speed, Ojuri seems (to me, at least) to fit the same mold as McNorton does. By comparison, of the team's 537 rushes last season, Sam would've gotten 215 carries compared to DJ's 280. Don't know that they take the ball out of his hands that often. I'd say closer to 20-25%, if we're shooting for any kind of prediction.

JMB
05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't see him leeching that many away from DJ. I think the coaches learned last season that the key to victory with the passing game the way it is is to mash #8 on the defense 20-25 times and see how many he breaks. Sigers is a good change-of-pace back because he brings a different style of rushing and has game-changing speed, Ojuri seems (to me, at least) to fit the same mold as McNorton does. By comparison, of the team's 537 rushes last season, Sam would've gotten 215 carries compared to DJ's 280. Don't know that they take the ball out of his hands that often. I'd say closer to 20-25%, if we're shooting for any kind of prediction.

I had the same impression the Ojuri had a similar running style to DJ that Sigers and Lang would be more of a "change-up", if that is what they are looking for. However in the end you put your best folks on the field for the situation they are in.

skolbrother
05-05-2011, 02:36 PM

You might be right, if I were the house and establishing a number it would be at 31.58%, what you want over or under? ha.

SlickVic
05-05-2011, 06:41 PM
You might be right, if I were the house and establishing a number it would be at 31.58%, what you want over or under? ha.

Ill take the over on this one...ojuris to good not to carry the ball 10 or more times a game and from what I've heard they got multiple options for mr mcnortan on offense returning punts ect djs so slick with it so versitle there's so manyways for him to get involved I can't wait that duos going to dominate