PDA

View Full Version : Old Sid Hartman Just Doesn't Learn!

1 Huge Bison Fan On 9/24!
04-24-2011, 12:58 AM
One thing in the Gophers' favor is their early schedule. After going to Southern California, they have three nonconference home games that they should not only win but be able to use to improve their skills, facing New Mexico State, Miami (Ohio) and North Dakota State. Big Ten play begins with games at Michigan and Purdue.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/120549544.html

Looks like this old fool thinks the goofers will be toying with us..."again.":facepalm2:

BISON1434er
04-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Old Sid is a homer when it comes to the Gophers. I would rather have someone like Sid though, then say Ed "Wiskey Bottle" Schultz who would talk up the opposing team. When it comes to sports coverage of the U, 1500ESPN has the most realistic view, followed by the KFAN which usually props the gophers up until the end or obvious, and then there's Sid on 830WCCO, in which on Sunday morning October 22, 2008, he was still coming up with excuses for the Gophers.

westnodak93bison
04-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Sid is a curmudgeon.

phpguru
04-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Add to the list Stu Whitney from the Argus Reader... another homer

HerdBot
04-24-2011, 03:24 AM
One thing in the Gophers' favor is their early schedule. After going to Southern California, they have three nonconference home games that they should not only win but be able to use to improve their skills, facing New Mexico State, Miami (Ohio) and North Dakota State. Big Ten play begins with games at Michigan and Purdue.

Looks like this old fool thinks the goofers will be toying with us..."again.":facepalm2:

I was thinking the same thing. We have 3 easy non conference games before we start conference play! Thanks for the update Lakes, I mean Huge Bison Fan On 9/24

ndsubison1
04-24-2011, 07:28 AM

I dont really see anything wrong with this. Gophers should be favored and should beat NMSU, Miami OH and yes NDSU

CaBisonFan
04-24-2011, 07:39 AM
Silly Sid...powerful Sid...well-connected Sid...is a tail that wags the dog at the U of M. I've never understood it, but his jottings are read faithfully...and he is very influential. I appreciate the fact that Sid continues his ways. He's a homer, but he's much more than that. He has real power. I would take Ed Schultz back in a heartbeat...the best Bison announcer ever...despite his shortcomings.

Hypothetical Sid Jotting:

"I was having dinner with my good friend Bobby Knight this past weekend and he says that the Gophers are in line to recruit fifteen 5-Star athletes for next year and will win the national championship four years in a row."...:cool:

SlickVic
04-24-2011, 07:43 AM
What the h? How can a guy not like sid hartman? Quating from his book..."Doyles was where all the people who were called racketeers hung out. I would walk in with my papers and get a half-buck, maybe a buck, for a paper. I was selling two-cent newspapers and would walk out of there with ten bucks. The trouble was, I then would go back to newspaper alley and the older newspaper carriers would get me in a craps game and I'd lose the ten bucks. Eleven, tweleve years old, and I had a terrible gambling problem. The problem was that I always lost. I always tried to help my mother, because we lived in poverty. I could have helped her a lot more if it wasn't for those craps games"

1 Huge Bison Fan On 9/24!
04-24-2011, 01:22 PM
I dont really see anything wrong with this. Gophers should be favored and should beat NMSU, Miami OH and yes NDSU

Correct. However, what part of they should not only win but be able to use to improve their skills, = the goofers should be looking at this game as a tune-up for the Big 10 season and a chance to give our depth some reps late in this a@@ kicking? Tackling dummies are used to "improve skills!"

Nice spring game turnout, Squid:

http://boards.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=29368

We gonna show you how to fill that hole on 9/24!

BisoninNWMN
04-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Bull**it!!

If the Bison can find a productive passing game this year, the Gophs will have a hard time beating the Bison......period!!

westnodak93bison
04-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Bull**it!!

If the Bison can find a productive passing game this year, the Gophs will have a hard time beating the Bison......period!!

I agree. We will be much deeper than 06 & 07.

BisoninNWMN
04-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I agree. We will be much deeper than 06 & 07.

I was going to add that no FBS team has taken us to the woodshed since our move up to D1 and I don't believe the '11 Gophers will be any different.

It sounds like our defense might be better than last year and all those freshman that played have that year of experience under their belt.

The Bison will not "roll" the Gophs but they will have a hard time beating us this coming year. It will most likely be a hard fought game but I expect a Bison win....like all games.

Good defense-run the ball-consistent passing game.....sky is the limit for this team this year.

GO BISON

**cannot wait for the moron "goldenshower" to come here and say we are all in lala land for believing we can beat the mighty Gophs.....

goldenshower
04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Old Sid is a homer when it comes to the Gophers. I would rather have someone like Sid though, then say Ed "Wiskey Bottle" Schultz who would talk up the opposing team. When it comes to sports coverage of the U, 1500ESPN has the most realistic view, followed by the KFAN which usually props the gophers up until the end or obvious, and then there's Sid on 830WCCO, in which on Sunday morning October 22, 2008, he was still coming up with excuses for the Gophers.

not sure what kfan youre talking about but twin cities media with the exception of ol Sid rip the gophers about as hard as wisky and hogeye fans. fargo media doesnt cover ndsu football enough but at least it isnt non stop negativity like the tc media.

i was at the gopher spring game on sat and i am considering going to the bison spring game with a friend of mine. it was a very vanilla scrimmage but just from what i know about bison football i think ndsu's front 7 will have success against our oline. we are pretty young on the oline. half of our wrs did not participate due to some nagging injuries but geshun harris looks like a player that can step in and replace gray. gray looked horrible passing the ball but was awesome running.

i still like our dline and im hoping they live up to their paper potential. but i think your oline will have success on our dline but we have linebackers that will be the difference in the gopher vs bison game. beal, tinsley, cooper, and rallis all looked very fast and big. this wont be the slow, soft gopher linebackers that your bowling ball ran over and through. but as of right now i think we will be too fast for the bison. this gopher team is actually physical on defense with speed and for how good the bison defense is/should be when you get those 2 linebackers healthy im thinking a 10-9 game. in the gophers favor our linebackers and the running ability of Gray will squeak out another gopher win, maybe my opinions will change if i can get to the bison spring game.

BisonNeil
04-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Bull**it!!

I think the consensus this year among Bison fans is what you said here. A consistent passing game that can complement the strong running game will be the key. I have to say, however, that the 8 sacks in the last scrimmage concern me a bit.

ndsubison1
04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Correct. However, what part of they should not only win but be able to use to improve their skills, = the goofers should be looking at this game as a tune-up for the Big 10 season and a chance to give our depth some reps late in this a@@ kicking? Tackling dummies are used to "improve skills!"

Nice spring game turnout, Squid:

http://boards.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=29368

We gonna show you how to fill that hole on 9/24!

games arent used to improve skill?

NDSUstudent
04-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I have to say, however, that the 8 sacks in the last scrimmage concern me a bit.

That is the thing with spring ball though, is our DL just that good or is the OL that bad? Also which QBs are taking those sacks...In the highlights from WDAY I saw Jose take a sack and as we all know he is prone to taking a some sacks(a no contact scrimmage is just going to inflate that weakness).

I will say that I am more excited about next week's spring game than any previous game. Lots to check out from our skill players, to our QBs and also some new blood on both lines.

Bison Dan
04-24-2011, 07:33 PM
not sure what kfan youre talking about but twin cities media with the exception of ol Sid rip the gophers about as hard as wisky and hogeye fans. fargo media doesnt cover ndsu football enough but at least it isnt non stop negativity like the tc media.

i was at the gopher spring game on sat and i am considering going to the bison spring game with a friend of mine. it was a very vanilla scrimmage but just from what i know about bison football i think ndsu's front 7 will have success against our oline. we are pretty young on the oline. half of our wrs did not participate due to some nagging injuries but geshun harris looks like a player that can step in and replace gray. gray looked horrible passing the ball but was awesome running.

i still like our dline and im hoping they live up to their paper potential. but i think your oline will have success on our dline but we have linebackers that will be the difference in the gopher vs bison game. beal, tinsley, cooper, and rallis all looked very fast and big. this wont be the slow, soft gopher linebackers that your bowling ball ran over and through. but as of right now i think we will be too fast for the bison. this gopher team is actually physical on defense with speed and for how good the bison defense is/should be when you get those 2 linebackers healthy im thinking a 10-9 game. in the gophers favor our linebackers and the running ability of Gray will squeak out another gopher win, maybe my opinions will change if i can get to the bison spring game.

Can't believe the lack of interest for Gopher FB. Not one call into Sid about it. I think Kill will get them respectable.

KilldeerBison
04-24-2011, 08:01 PM

If I remember right, you had an all american/conference linebacker, I think his name was Hightower. He looked like your best player on D, don't know how you remember him slow or soft?

goldenshower
04-24-2011, 08:51 PM
If I remember right, you had an all american/conference linebacker, I think his name was Hightower. He looked like your best player on D, don't know how you remember him slow or soft?

hightower was not an all american/all conference. he was an average speed linebacker who couldnt tackle. the best defender we had was willie vandsteeg and he had a broken hand and played very little-not that it would have changed the outcome. the current gopher team would slaughter that 07 squad.

i considered him soft

goldenshower
04-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Can't believe the lack of interest for Gopher FB. Not one call into Sid about it. I think Kill will get them respectable.

kill is alright and there is interest in gopher football but spring games arent that big a deal to most schools across the country. there are the exceptions but i would gues 5-7k at the gopher spring game-i was there and it was freezing

CaBisonFan
04-24-2011, 11:37 PM

Some good analytical observations. I don't; however, think that the Gophers will out-quick the Bison. We have an FBS-caliber running game with a deep, talented running back corp. Our big question-mark is still the passing game. If we can come up with any kind of consistency there we will be lethal.

On defense, you'll be amazed at how quick and athletic we are. Our linebackers and a couple of defensive linemen are really special. We also have made big strides in the defensive backfield with an influx of some very quick and athletic players.

Gray 'is' a special athlete...no doubt. He will cause trouble for any team.

I agree that this game should be close. It will come down to turnovers. Glad to hear that there's improvement in the Gophers. I've been a fan of sorts over the years...especially when Dr. Lou was in town.

westnodak93bison
04-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Ole Sid just is a homer through and through. He has made his money being pals with the local sports execs and coaches. He plays them so they like him.

CaBisonFan
04-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Ole Sid just is a homer through and through. He has made his money being pals with the local sports execs and coaches. He plays them so they like him.

Totally...well said...:cool:

NorthernBison
04-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Good grief. Some of you guys are so sensitive you sound like a bunch of old women.

Are you really surprised that a columnist who is a known homer of a Big 10 program doesn't give a FCS program much credit? How many people covering FBS programs don't expect them to beat the FCS teams on their schedule? If they do, they won't put it down in writing during SPRING BALL.

It's actually funny that there is plenty of complaining here when our local guys are too "objective". We seem to want them to be homers but nobody covering our opponents can fail to give us the proper respect.

I just wonder why anybody here cares what Sid thinks. I hope he keeps writing the same stuff.

DjKyRo
04-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Homerism aside, I'd expect any journalist following the beat of a Big Six team to expect a handy win over any FCS team. Even with the history we have with Minnesota, they're still a BCS team. If nothing else, we can play the disrespect card (which has worked pretty well for us in the past). Don't sweat it.

MNLonghorn10
04-25-2011, 01:59 AM
sid is a legend

rockybison
04-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Sid is a crusty old fool who yanks the home teams yank. Wish we had one in Fargo. Gotta admit he is loyal.

CaBisonFan
04-25-2011, 02:34 AM
Good grief. Some of you guys are so sensitive you sound like a bunch of old women.

Are you really surprised that a columnist who is a known homer of a Big 10 program doesn't give a FCS program much credit? How many people covering FBS programs don't expect them to beat the FCS teams on their schedule? If they do, they won't put it down in writing during SPRING BALL.

It's actually funny that there is plenty of complaining here when our local guys are too "objective". We seem to want them to be homers but nobody covering our opponents can fail to give us the proper respect.

I just wonder why anybody here cares what Sid thinks. I hope he keeps writing the same stuff.

My disrespect for Sid has nothing to do with the Bison. Lived in MN for quite a while, and I noticed how stupid he was about the Gophers and the pro teams in the Twin Cities. He'd take on the UM administration for having high academic standards. A blow-hard with just enough knowledge to be dangerous to the programs in an educational institution...but not intelligent enough to treat them as such...but influential enough to affect things.

semobison
04-25-2011, 03:23 PM

++++Agree! And their fans are not going to be as excited about this game as we are! Worried, maybe! Excited, not so much!

bisonmike2
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Sid thinks the gophers are going to the rose bowl ever year so it really doesn't surprise me that he wrote something like that. Plus, Sid probably can't even remember we played them anyway, let alone that we beat them.. My take, Jerry Kill is a real coach and the gophers will be greatly improved just with his presence. I think we have a good shot at beating them but the gophers should still be favored.

tony
04-25-2011, 03:52 PM
I like Sid and hopes he picks the Gophers by 70.

HerdBot
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Sid thinks the gophers are going to the rose bowl ever year so it really doesn't surprise me that he wrote something like that. Plus, Sid probably can't even remember we played them anyway, let alone that we beat them.. My take, Jerry Kill is a real coach and the gophers will be greatly improved just with his presence. I think we have a good shot at beating them but the gophers should still be favored.

They should be improved but historicly he takes 3 years before the turnaround is complete. Gophers should be favored but we should still win a close game. 10k Bison fans could be the difference. Let's organize a huge crowd complete with a countdown and Bison seating charts like last time.

Gully
04-25-2011, 11:01 PM
They should be improved but historicly he takes 3 years before the turnaround is complete. Gophers should be favored but we should still win a close game. 10k Bison fans could be the difference. Let's organize a huge crowd complete with a countdown and Bison seating charts like last time.

There better be more than 10K bison fans there.

rockybison
04-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I'll be there with my two Bison fan daughters. Tickets purchased. Hotel reserved. Pumped

CHADSTAUS
04-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Bison 24 Gophers 14

Take it to the bank. Thats all I have to say about this.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

goldenshower
04-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Bison 24 Gophers 14

Take it to the bank. Thats all I have to say about this.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

i will take this bet! how much you down for?

JMB
04-26-2011, 08:11 PM
I will give Sid credit on one thing. After the last two Bison/Gopher games Sid's articles were very humble and he was very complimentary of the Bison team. I remember the first game especially where he basically said the better team lost that day.

Is Sid a homer, yep. However in my opinion just from the few times I pass through the cities listening to KFAN and looking at the STrib. I get a really negative vibe towards the University from the news outlets up there. I compare that to Iowa's coverage where it seems like nothing can go wrong. Just an observation.

HerdBot
04-28-2011, 03:30 AM
There better be more than 10K bison fans there.

Impossible. Most of the stadium is sold out in season tickets. Only 3k are given to NDSU and 7K available to the public. If we buy every single one we barely have 10k. The capacity is 50k. We better be organized and fast!

TheBisonator
04-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Impossible. Most of the stadium is sold out in season tickets. Only 3k are given to NDSU and 7K available to the public. If we buy every single one we barely have 10k. The capacity is 50k. We better be organized and fast!

A LOT of Goofer fans are giving their tix to Bison fans.

HerdBot
04-28-2011, 03:39 AM

I doubt it. I think Lakes pissed off their fanbase so much they are looking at it as a big game. I think well get 7-9k fans tops.

Green-N-Gold
04-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Correct. Had a chance to get as many as 12 tickets from Gopher season ticket holders that I work with. Took 6 of them yesterday.

mnriverbison
04-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I doubt it. I think Lakes pissed off their fanbase so much they are looking at it as a big game. I think well get 7-9k fans tops.

You realize that most fans don't read message boards, right? It isn't like Lakes is some celebrity in MN. Nobody has heard of him.

CAS4127
04-29-2011, 08:16 PM
You realize that most fans don't read message boards, right? It isn't like Lakes is some celebrity in MN. Nobody has heard of him.

Exacalacally!!!!

HerdBot
04-29-2011, 09:18 PM

Lakes ain't local. He's world wide. :)

westnodak93bison
04-30-2011, 03:56 AM
Lakes ain't local. He's world wide. :)

World Wide Lakes. That is funny.

A1pigskin
04-30-2011, 08:23 PM
The passing game is my biggest concern. We need this to open up the field.