PDA

View Full Version : New Rules

Bison"FANatic"
04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I don't remember seeing this here before looks like some new rules with timing, intentional grounding and unsportsmanlikes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6361845

bisonmike2
04-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Bill Fette was reached for comment:

"New rules? I don't even remember the old ones. Is that forward pass gimmick still legal?"

BlueBisonRock
04-21-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't remember seeing this here before looks like some new rules with timing, intentional grounding and unsportsmanlikes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6361845

And the panel adopted a rule allowing video monitors in the coaches' booths. The televisions will have access only to any live broadcast of the game -- no video recorders -- to help coaches decide if they should challenge a call. If the monitors are available to the home team, they must also be available to the visitor.

Perhaps this rule will help our marketing team get more games televised. Unfortunately, the games likely will still not make it out of the Fargo viewing area.

I really can not wait until the first touchdown is called back because of taunting. Media will have a field day with this one. (BTW, I fully support this rule and its consequence)

IndyBison
04-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Perhaps this rule will help our marketing team get more games televised. Unfortunately, the games likely will still not make it out of the Fargo viewing area.

I really can not wait until the first touchdown is called back because of taunting. Media will have a field day with this one. (BTW, I fully support this rule and its consequence)

The TVs are there for replay purposes. Even if Bison games are televised they probably won't have TVs in the booth because replay won't apply.

I doubt we'll see too many live ball UNS calls. You don't actually see that many today and i know they are being stressed heavily in scrimamges. Coach Miles at Indiana State had me flag a guy who raised the ball in front of him as he ran into the end zone and has us make it a live ball foul to teach his team a lesson. Then the kid had to run a lap around the track.

Most people think of the UNS call by the guy going in to score. What if you hvae a 70 yard run and the runner is sprung by a great pancake block by the LT. The runner is free at the B30 when the LT gets up and taunts the DE at the A35. Not only is that TD coming back, but it's being enforced at the A35 back to the A20. Last year it would have been enforced as a dead ball foul and the TD would still count. It had no impact on the play but the penalty will. That's the one that will get a lot of attention.

Bison"FANatic"
04-22-2011, 10:25 AM
So where is the line between taunting and celebrating a huge play?

tony
04-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Most people think of the UNS call by the guy going in to score. What if you hvae a 70 yard run and the runner is sprung by a great pancake block by the LT. The runner is free at the B30 when the LT gets up and taunts the DE at the A35. Not only is that TD coming back, but it's being enforced at the A35 back to the A20. Last year it would have been enforced as a dead ball foul and the TD would still count. It had no impact on the play but the penalty will. That's the one that will get a lot of attention.

I don't like that part of the rule. So is any personal foul on the offense bringing a TD back? I'm asking because this would have unintended consequences, such as a defenders going after offensive players on any TD hoping that the offensive player retaliates. Even if it has to be an unsportmans-like taunting call, that's too fine a line in my opinion. It's like having a law that says speeding is a hefty fine but exhibition driving is the death penalty.

Not a big fan of this rule change - limit it to the person scoring the TD or don't make the change at all.

missingnumber7
04-22-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't like that part of the rule. So is any personal foul on the offense bringing a TD back? I'm asking because this would have unintended consequences, such as a defenders going after offensive players on any TD hoping that the offensive player retaliates. Even if it has to be an unsportmans-like taunting call, that's too fine a line in my opinion. It's like having a law that says speeding is a hefty fine but exhibition driving is the death penalty.

Not a big fan of this rule change - limit it to the person scoring the TD or don't make the change at all.

I've read the rule sevearal times and asked the question of a clinician from the Big 10 and was told that the penalty would have to definately have to happen before the TD for it to come back.

The rule that I am interested to see is the blocking below the waist rule that is changing.
But receivers or running backs lined up outside the tackle box will only be allowed to block below the waist if they are blocking straight ahead or toward the nearest sideline. If they go inside and block toward the play, it would be a penalty.

This could get interesting.

Gully
04-22-2011, 05:00 PM
It seems to me at least half of the time they make these rules changes, they end up having unintended consequences.

Remember the halo rule? Reversed.

How about changing when the clock starts on kickoffs....remember goofy plays that resulted in when teams would deliberately go waaaay offside before kicking, therebye using up all the time on a kickoff at the end of the game and drastically reducing the chances for a successful return?

You could even argue that all of the run blocking rule changes over the years (designed to reduce injuries) have resulted in more concussions to QBs and WRs because now teams pass so frequently.

I agree with Tony's take on calling back TDs.

I think the run blocking WR rule is really confusing. It's simliar to where exactly at DB can hit a WR. Pretty soon you'll have to stop and consult a rules manual before touching an opponent in any way.

Let them play. The game has done pretty well over the years the way it's been ruled.

Gully
04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Question for Indy.

I've noticed that after a TD an offical often runs over to the players and tries to get them to not celebrate much (watch Brock Jensen's playoff TD run in the FFD). It happens often enough that I'm sure officials are taught to do it. It bugs me when they do that. It's almost like they're looking for a confrontation.

I am not advocating taunting of your opponent at all, but rather a natural display of joy after scoring a big TD. After all, isn't that the point of the game?

Mr. Burgundy
04-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Question for Indy.

I've noticed that after a TD an offical often rules over to the players and tries to get them to not celebrate much (watch Brock Jensen's playoff TD run in the FFD). It happens often enough that I'm sure officials are taught to do it. It bugs me when they do that. It's almost like they're looking for a confrontation.

I am not advocating taunting of your opponent at all, but rather a natural display of joy after scoring a big TD. After all, isn't that the point of the game?

That was pathetic what that ref did to Brock. Short man's desease at its finest.

IndyBison
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Question for Indy.

I've noticed that after a TD an offical often runs over to the players and tries to get them to not celebrate much (watch Brock Jensen's playoff TD run in the FFD). It happens often enough that I'm sure officials are taught to do it. It bugs me when they do that. It's almost like they're looking for a confrontation.

The quicker you can get to the player with the ball the less likely they are to do something stupid. As we heard repeatedly at a clinic I attended, we have to allow "immediate, exhuberant, spontaneous act by a teenager". It is a pretty fine line and will never be 100% consistent no matter how much leagues and officials try to define specific things that are fouls. The best thing I can is to don't do anything that makes the official have to think about it whether or not it crossed the line.

IndyBison
04-23-2011, 11:08 PM

Unsportsmanlike conduct (UNS) and personal foul (PF) are two completely different fouls that players, fans, and coaches often get confused. Generally, UNS does not involve contact and PF does. What this rule change does is makes UNS more consistent with all other live ball fouls (including PF). There was an exception for UNS to treat it as a dead ball foul. That exception goes now goes away.

The philosophy we've been taught is to treat the action as a dead ball foul if at all possible. What you are describing above would be a PF because the retaliation likely will be a push, shove or some other kind of contact. Since it's usually difficult for the calling official well behind a play to determine if the PF well behind a TD happened before or after the down ended, it's usually handled as a dead ball foul. A similar philosophy will apply for UNS.

This will not be a major issue. There are not that many live ball UNS anyway (our conference has had only 2 or 3 the past 3 years). With this new rule coaches will be talking about this pretty heavy. If even one happens early everyone will use it as an example. You won't see it happen very often. Coaches wanted to see it go away which is why the rules committee (made up mostly of coaches and athletic directors) came up with the rule.

Gully
04-23-2011, 11:52 PM
The quicker you can get to the player with the ball the less likely they are to do something stupid. As we heard repeatedly at a clinic I attended, we have to allow "immediate, exhuberant, spontaneous act by a teenager". It is a pretty fine line and will never be 100% consistent no matter how much leagues and officials try to define specific things that are fouls. The best thing I can is to don't do anything that makes the official have to think about it whether or not it crossed the line.

Go cut your lawn.

IndyBison
04-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Go cut your lawn.

Thanks for paying attention! I did. And now three inches of rain are covering it.