PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Spring

BisonJump
04-20-2011, 01:50 AM
This is the type of spring where I don't miss coaching. After 5 months of training in the BSA (whatever it is called now), the athlete's legs are beat to hell as is their psyche. Those who haven't experienced it can't imagine the tremendous need to get outside at this point. Especially the jumpers who have the huge disadvantage of not being able to practice in the outdoor environment where the wind so greatly impacts their approaches they have been practicing with no wind for months. Huge props to those athletes who still find a way to succeed! Go Bison!

Castor Troy
04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
This is the type of spring where I don't miss coaching. After 5 months of training in the BSA (whatever it is called now), the athlete's legs are beat to hell as is their psyche. Those who haven't experienced it can't imagine the tremendous need to get outside at this point. Especially the jumpers who have the huge disadvantage of not being able to practice in the outdoor environment where the wind so greatly impacts their approaches they have been practicing with no wind for months. Huge props to those athletes who still find a way to succeed! Go Bison!

I agree totally, but the difference now is that they get to hop on a plane and compete in California, Florida, and Texas. At least they don't have to compete at the Lefty Olson Invite in Sioux Falls, the Sioux City Relays, or all of those crap meets in GF. The Bison runners and jumpers of yesterday had it pretty rough.

I am convinced that the increased competition is the biggest reason for all of the records that have been broken during our DI experience. And what is interesting is that it was almost instant. The first year of competing in a DI schedule, we took a decent roster- men and women- to better meets and they just stepped it up.

It makes me wonder how well John Bodine, Mike Eckroth, Lisa Ristau, Jerry Boshee, Brent Parmer, Doug Hanson, or even Doug Schweigert would do with that kind of competition.