PDA

View Full Version : SDSU Layoffs

SDbison
04-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Looks like there may be justification for 2 Burger Kings shutting down in Brookings:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110415/NEWS/104150325/0/SPORTS/SDSU-pays-high-price-cut-deficit-90-jobs?odyssey=nav|head

South Dakota State University officials have sent out 55 layoff notices in the past week in a budget-cutting move that ultimately will eliminate more than 90 positions and five degree programs at the school.

tjbison
04-16-2011, 05:01 PM
May as well get it going............................

anyone hear they may possibly be dropping to NON-scholly FB:duel: :rimshot:

:hide:

Bison bison
04-16-2011, 05:25 PM
wow.

most of the cuts are to ag.

BadlandsBison
04-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Masters in physics as well as engineering bachelors programs. That's too bad.

onbison09
04-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Masters in physics as well as engineering bachelors programs. That's too bad.

How would this effect current students?

BlueBisonRock
04-16-2011, 06:38 PM
wow.

most of the cuts are to ag.

41 cuts to ag through the experiment station and extension. 14 to engineering. Most of the rest to 'attrition' (vacancies & retirement).

Five of the six degree programs hit are technology based.

BadlandsBison
04-16-2011, 06:40 PM

Great question. It would be nice if the current students could finish their degree at least

TheBisonator
04-16-2011, 09:56 PM
South Dakota doesn't know how to properly fund its higher education system. At least in ND, the money is coming in, despite the bullshit UND/NDSU politics.

RowdyRabbit
04-16-2011, 10:40 PM
South Dakota doesn't know how to properly fund its higher education system. At least in ND, the money is coming in, despite the bullshit UND/NDSU politics.

A lot of the problem (IMO) is SD has WAY to fricken many universities to fund.

Black Hills State and Dakota State should both be closed.

Tatanka
04-16-2011, 10:47 PM

Black Hills State and Dakota State should both be closed.

This sounds strangely familiar.... hmmmmmmm...... can't shake the feeling that this is harbinger of things to come in North Dakota...

roadwarrior
04-16-2011, 10:58 PM

How many are there?

Hammersmith
04-16-2011, 11:05 PM
How many are there?

Six universities, four public technical colleges(+2 tribal tech schools). I'm not going to totally vouch for the tech school data since they are not part of the SD BoR system and the info is a little harder to get.

jackrabbit1979
04-18-2011, 02:37 AM

Current students will be able to finish their programs if done prior to May 2013. If a current student isn't able to finish by then, they will be encouraged to find a similar program at SDSU or assisted in finding a program at another university.

jackrabbit1979
04-18-2011, 02:48 AM

This is a little short sighted IMO. Using that logic, one could probably say that most states in the country don't know how to fund their higher education systems then, as a lot are in the same or worse shape as SD. The cuts at SDSU are a direct result of a cut in state funding (this year 10%) for the past three years due to the recession and a lack of funds in the state budget.

I'm not an expert on ND gov't, but isn't a big reason for the surplus in ND a result of oil? If that is indeed true(somebody correct me if I'm wrong please), It would be hard to say that the difference between the two states is a better funding plan.

roadwarrior
04-18-2011, 03:03 AM
How much does SD rely on gaming taxes on video poker and other games, and how has that source of revenue been lately?

ndsubison1
04-18-2011, 03:04 AM
This is a little short sighted IMO. Using that logic, one could probably say that most states in the country don't know how to fund their higher education systems then, as a lot are in the same or worse shape as SD. The cuts at SDSU are a direct result of a cut in state funding (this year 10%) for the past three years due to the recession and a lack of funds in the state budget.

I'm not an expert on ND gov't, but isn't a big reason for the surplus in ND a result of oil? If that is indeed true(somebody correct me if I'm wrong please), It would be hard to say that the difference between the two states is a better funding plan.

Also, some sound money management. Something the other 49 states could learn from

G-city Bison Fan
04-18-2011, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I am sure it as simple as the other states not knowing how to manage their money. Clearly we have some of the wisest and best minds working in the ND House and Senate, striving to manage the states money to the best of their abilities.

Or maybe it has something to do with our overabundance of resources and lack of people, and nobody has had time to figure out how to f' it up yet.

SDbison
04-18-2011, 04:20 AM
How much does SD rely on gaming taxes on video poker and other games, and how has that source of revenue been lately?
From what I have heard the revenue from video poker is down significantly and it started going down at the exact same time when the statewide ban on smoking in bars was implemented last year. There also might be some effects from the recession too.

SUBISON247
04-18-2011, 07:01 AM
http://www.moviequotesandmore.com/image-files/office-space-10.jpg

Good Luck with you layoffs

mebisonII
04-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I am sure it as simple as the other states not knowing how to manage their money. Clearly we have some of the wisest and best minds working in the ND House and Senate, striving to manage the states money to the best of their abilities.

Or maybe it has something to do with our overabundance of resources and lack of people, and nobody has had time to figure out how to f' it up yet.

Yep, clearly our legislature is just brilliant. You can tell by all of our other threads dedicated to them.

Twentysix
04-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Six universities, four public technical colleges(+2 tribal tech schools). I'm not going to totally vouch for the tech school data since they are not part of the SD BoR system and the info is a little harder to get.

How many is that in comparison to ND? MaSU MiSU DSU NDSU UND VCSU? BSC Lake region NDSCS WSC? United tribes and there is another few idk if there state funded though.

Theres something like 19 higher education instutions in ND but alot of them arent state funded i believe.

1. Bismarck State College Bismarck, North Dakota www.bismarckstate.edu
2. Cankdeska Cikana Community College Fort Totten, North Dakota (formerly Little Hoop Community College) www.littlehoop.edu
3. Dickinson State University Dickinson, North Dakota www.dickinsonstate.edu
4. Fort Berthold Community College New Town, North Dakota
5. Jamestown College Jamestown, North Dakota www.jc.edu
6. Lake Region State College Devils Lake, North Dakota www.lrsc.edu
7. Mayville State University Mayville, North Dakota www.masu.nodak.edu
8. Minot State University Minot, North Dakota www.minotstateu.edu
9. Minot State University - Bottineau Campus Bottineau, North Dakota
10. North Dakota State College of Science Wahpeton, North Dakota www.ndscs.nodak.edu
11. North Dakota State University - Main Campus Fargo, ND www.ndsu.edu
12. Sitting Bull CollegeFort Yates, North Dakota www.sittingbull.edu
13. Trinity Bible College Ellendale, North Dakota www.trinitybiblecollege.edu
14. Turtle Mountain Community College Belcourt, North Dakota www.tm.edu
15. United Tribes Technical College Bismarck, North Dakota www.uttc.edu
16. University of Mary Bismarck, North Dakota www.umary.edu
17. University of North Dakota Grand Forks, ND www.und.edu
18. Valley City State University Valley City, North Dakota www.vcsu.edu
19. Williston State College Williston, North Dakota www.wsc.nodak.edu

We dont have more schools than SD, do we?

bisonmike2
04-18-2011, 08:12 PM
How many is that in comparison to ND? MaSU MiSU DSU NDSU UND VCSU? BSC Lake region NDSCS WSC? United tribes and there is another few idk if there state funded though.

Theres something like 19 higher education instutions in ND but alot of them arent state funded i believe.

2. Cankdeska Cikana Community College Fort Totten, North Dakota (formerly Little Hoop Community College) www.littlehoop.edu
3. Dickinson State University Dickinson, North Dakota www.dickinsonstate.edu
4. Fort Berthold Community College New Town, North Dakota
5. Jamestown College Jamestown, North Dakota www.jc.edu
6. Lake Region State College Devils Lake, North Dakota www.lrsc.edu
7. Mayville State University Mayville, North Dakota www.masu.nodak.edu
8. Minot State University Minot, North Dakota www.minotstateu.edu
9. Minot State University - Bottineau Campus Bottineau, North Dakota
10. North Dakota State College of Science Wahpeton, North Dakota www.ndscs.nodak.edu
11. North Dakota State University - Main Campus Fargo, ND www.ndsu.edu
12. Sitting Bull CollegeFort Yates, North Dakota www.sittingbull.edu
13. Trinity Bible College Ellendale, North Dakota www.trinitybiblecollege.edu
14. Turtle Mountain Community College Belcourt, North Dakota www.tm.edu
15. United Tribes Technical College Bismarck, North Dakota www.uttc.edu
16. University of Mary Bismarck, North Dakota www.umary.edu
17. University of North Dakota Grand Forks, ND www.und.edu
18. Valley City State University Valley City, North Dakota www.vcsu.edu
19. Williston State College Williston, North Dakota www.wsc.nodak.edu

I haven't heard of half of these. Anyone know where I can get a CCCCFTND (Cankdeska Cikana Community College Fort Totten, North Dakota) t-shirt? What's their mascot? The Fighting Alphabets?

NorthernBison
04-18-2011, 08:20 PM
I haven't heard of half of these. Anyone know where I can get a CCCCFTND (Cankdeska Cikana Community College Fort Totten, North Dakota) t-shirt? What's their mascot? The Fighting Alphabets?

I'll do some checking. You must have heard of it when it was Little Hoop. Right?

FYI, I believe there are 11 State Funded Institutions in ND.

G-city Bison Fan
04-18-2011, 08:36 PM
I'll do some checking. You must have heard of it when it was Little Hoop. Right?

FYI, I believe there are 11 State Funded Institutions in ND.

Little Hoop always cracks me up. Friend of mine in H.S. got a mailer postcard from them. He did his PhD at Michigan and doing a Post-doc at UNC. And it all could have started at Little Hoop...if only ;)

roadwarrior
04-18-2011, 09:02 PM

2. Dickinson State University Dickinson, North Dakota www.dickinsonstate.edu
3. Lake Region State College Devils Lake, North Dakota www.lrsc.edu
4. Mayville State University Mayville, North Dakota www.masu.nodak.edu
5. Minot State University Minot, North Dakota www.minotstateu.edu
6. Dakota College at Bottineau Bottineau, North Dakota
7. North Dakota State College of Science Wahpeton, North Dakota www.ndscs.nodak.edu
8. North Dakota State University - Main Campus Fargo, ND www.ndsu.edu
9. University of North Dakota Grand Forks, ND www.und.edu
10. Valley City State University Valley City, North Dakota www.vcsu.edu
11. Williston State College Williston, North Dakota www.wsc.nodak.edu

I removed the private schools from your list and fixed one name.

Hammersmith
04-18-2011, 09:20 PM

I'm not counting for-profit colleges(like Rasmussen) or single-trade schools(like nursing schools).

Public Universities:
ND 6 (NDSU, UND, MiSU, DSU, VCSU, MaSU)
SD 6 (SDSU, USD, NSU, DSU, BHSU, SDSMT)

Private Universities:
ND 3 (Mary, Jamestown, Trinity)
SD 5 (USF, Augie, Dakota Wesleyan, Mount Marty, Presentation)

Tribal Universities:
ND 1 (Sitting Bull)
SD 2 (Oglala Lakota, Sinte Gleska)

Public Tech Schools:
ND 5 (NDSCS, BSC, WSC, DCB, LRSC)
SD 5 (Lake Area, Mitchell, Southeast, Western Dakota, Kilian)

Tribal Tech Schools: (not certain about this one)
ND 4 (Cankdeska Cikana, Fort Berthold, Turtle Mountain, United Tribes)
SD 1 (Sisseton Wahpeton)

So, it's a 19-19 tie overall. (Sitting Bull and Oglala Lakota are both universities and tech schools; I only put them in the former category)

KC Bison
04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
It would seem to me that if you are referring to state-funded schools, you would only count the public universities and public tech schools (11-11) and not count the private university or the tribal schools which are typically federally funded.