PDA

View Full Version : 5 miler bet

rockybison
04-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Hello all, I've been challenged to run a five miler in 16 days(race in16 days not 16 to finish) in Denver. I don't run much (none) but have been active. I need to finish under an hour. Any helpful insight. I have a lot of time to dedicate and wish to do this. Thanks. Its the Cherry Creek Sneak that is the run.

tjbison
04-15-2011, 02:12 AM
My advise..................better start running:hide:

mango
04-15-2011, 02:14 AM
My advise..................better start running:hide:

This.

Start running now, 6 miles doesn't seem like much but running it is a pretty good distance

ndsubison1
04-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Hello all, I've been challenged to run a five miler in 16 days(race in16 days not 16 to finish) in Denver. I don't run much (none) but have been active. I need to finish under an hour. Any helpful insight. I have a lot of time to dedicate and wish to do this. Thanks. Its the Cherry Creek Sneak that is the run.

ask castor troy

mebisonII
04-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Key things are (a) start running now and (b) avoid injury, as you don't have time to recover.

Make sure you stretch well both before and after your runs, hitting the calves, hamstrings, quads, and IT band. If the front part of your knee starts to burn, especially going down stairs, hit the hamstrings more. If the side of your knee hurts, stretch the IT band more.

Other than that, just try going out for a run and see how it goes. Start with a nice slow jog and shoot for at least 2 miles. If you run every other day and add 0.5 miles every time, you'd hit 5 miles well before your race.

This is just from my experience as a casual runner.

Also, frozen burritos and cherry coke do not make great running fuel. :(

TransAmBison
04-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Don't listen to these guys, they just want you to expend all your stored energy. Do not do a thing until the race. Sit on the couch, get good and comfortable. Don't even strain to reach your beer. Get "the help" to get it for you. Actually, better have a few beers to get a few more calories stored. You know, running burns fat so you want to have some extra or else your body will start burning muscle and you don't want that.

You follow my advice and you will have a little extra on you and you will feel refreshed, and will be at the top of your game.:bow:

GOB1SON
04-15-2011, 12:40 PM
5 miles in an hour is very doable. That is a fairly casual pace.

Here is what I would do: get on a treadmill, set your pace at 5 MPH and see how it feels. Run to just the point of fatigue (not failure, just tired to the point where you really want to quit) and see where you are. If you have made it at least 30 minutes, then I would say you are fine. However, if you only get 15-20 minutes in, then you might struggle.

If you make it 30 minutes or more, then I would just work my way up. Rest at least a day in between runs, but just ramp up to your run, taking at least two days off before the race. Set you pace just over 5 MPH and get in shape!

That is my advise and that is how I would approach it if I were you.

BTW, I am 40 and only started running in the last couple of years, so I am not an expert. But truthfully, I have found that if I try to go on an experts program, it doesn't work for me. My body just doesn't always agree. So I just train as my muscles and joints allow me and try to be smart.

IzzyFlexion
04-15-2011, 01:02 PM

My advice.......
Try to cover the race distance in 59 minutes and 59 seconds.
And, most importantly, carbo load right before the start by eating a giant portion of fettucinni alfredo.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5186872935_4d392e30bf.jpg

Superfan
04-15-2011, 01:06 PM
I find that when I start running that my back is the first thing that gets tired. Do a few dead lifts to get back in shape. The trick is to lift with your back. Take your legs completely out of the equation and lift with a jerking, twisting motion. Do that a few times and you'll be set.

Bison bison
04-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Also, frozen burritos and cherry coke do not make great running fuel. :(

I think you're supposed to microwave those things before you eat them.

Notorious
04-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Log a lot of miles. And a lot of these...

http://www.davepye.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/belushi-donuts.jpg

mebisonII
04-15-2011, 02:04 PM
I think you're supposed to microwave those things before you eat them.

What? Really? Won't they melt? Since that time with the ice-cream, I've thought you shouldn't microwave anything from the freezer? :confused:

NorthernBison
04-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Hmmmm..... Cherry Sneak??? You sure this is a race To something and not AWAY from something?

56BISON73
04-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Don't listen to these guys, they just want you to expend all your stored energy. Do not do a thing until the race. Sit on the couch, get good and comfortable. Don't even strain to reach your beer. Get "the help" to get it for you. Actually, better have a few beers to get a few more calories stored. You know, running burns fat so you want to have some extra or else your body will start burning muscle and you don't want that.

You follow my advice and you will have a little extra on you and you will feel refreshed, and will be at the top of your game.:bow:

Ok tell the truth. Youre a personal trainer arent ya?

Bisonguy
04-16-2011, 06:20 PM

You forgot to tell him to chug a gallon of chocolate milk 30 minutes before the race and start the race by sprinting as fast as he can.

The advantages of the chocolate milk are threefold- provides adequate hydration prior to the run, the carbs in the milk provide needed fuel for muscles performing near vo2 max, and the protein helps to rebuild muscle after the race.

The advantage to sprinting at the start is rather obvious. Sprint at 15 mph for the first two miles and you'll have a lot more time to finish the race. :bow:

VanClubPres
04-17-2011, 12:55 PM
My advice.......
Try to cover the race distance in 59 minutes and 59 seconds.
And, most importantly, carbo load right before the start by eating a giant portion of fettucinni alfredo.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5186872935_4d392e30bf.jpg

Do this. Not only will you finish in an Hour, but you will defeat rabies.

rockybison
04-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Banging out 3 miles with some humping but alot of uphill at 11,500 ft. On track to a decent performance. Got my car back minus phone, fair trade...

bri-dog
05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Did you run on Sunday? If so, how'd it go?

Bison bison
05-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Banging out 3 miles with some humping but alot of uphill at 11,500 ft.

Who was the lucky lady?

Castor Troy
05-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I wish I saw this thread earlier because I could have given you some very useful advice, such as how to prevent chafing (legs, pits, and nipples), what to eat the day of without upsetting your lower intestinal tract, and how to prevent bleeding toes (hint- cut your toe nails).

BadlandsBison
05-04-2011, 08:40 PM
I wish I saw this thread earlier because I could have given you some very useful advice, such as how to prevent chafing (legs, pits, and nipples), what to eat the day of without upsetting your lower intestinal tract, and how to prevent bleeding toes (hint- cut your toe nails).

I'm running a 5k on Saturday. What should I eat? Not concerned about teh chafe cuz I break a sweat at the thought of exercise. Also, I refuse to cut my toe nails.

Civil06
05-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm running a 5k on Saturday. What should I eat? Not concerned about teh chafe cuz I break a sweat at the thought of exercise. Also, I refuse to cut my toe nails.

Sweating doesn't prevent the chafe, but it's funnier to let people find out about chafed nipples on their own*. Although that usually only happens on longer runs.

*By funnier, I mean funnier for your wife. Mine started crying from laughter when I put lotion on my chafed nipples one time** and thought the burning would surely kill me. I screamed a lot.
**I'll try anything once.

Castor Troy
05-04-2011, 09:17 PM

The night before it's a good idea to eat some carbohydrates. Some people like to run on an empty stomach, but if you need to eat choose something doughy, like english muffin with peanut butter or toast. Everyone is different but if you stay with bread products you're good to go.

Stay away from greasy foods such as bacon and sausage before the race. Also, stay away from citrus fruits and juice.

Right when you wake up, pound some water, grab a newspaper or good book, and take a crap. This will prevent you from having to use the port-o-potties at the race site.

Answer Guy
05-04-2011, 09:24 PM

Burritos with extra hot sauce are best. One more than you really want to eat. Wash it down with a liter of your favorite carbonated beverage.

rockybison
05-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Hey Bri. I banged out the 5 mile sneak on Sunday. As you know it was a little chilly but lots of runners. Found a nice pack to hang with and finished under an hour with some time to spare. It turned out to be a lot easier running with a crowd in an event, free beer was a nice bonus. Not quite ready for the marathon tho.

BadlandsBison
05-05-2011, 03:44 AM
Burritos with extra hot sauce are best. One more than you really want to eat. Wash it down with a liter of your favorite carbonated beverage.

I'm planning on a taco bell breakfast so that should power me up. Give me an "after burn" so to speak.