PDA

View Full Version : one thing we should be good at

HerdBot
04-12-2011, 11:04 PM
One of our strengths last year was using DJ in the passing game. We evolved into a great screen team and we should improve. With Ryan Smith in the slot and Sigers turning into a big play back, we should get those guys some touches in the passing game with lethal bubble screens, reverses, and end arounds. Get these guys into the open field or running outside and we've got some serious weapons. That used to be a strength of the team and we got away from it. Hope to see some more of it.

onbison09
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Middle screen baby

CaBisonFan
04-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Maybe as confidence grows in the QB this part of the game will come back. I agree...utilizing the speed of these two will be really important. Being successful at this a few times each game would open up a lot of things.

perthbison
04-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Middle screen baby

Loved it when they did that with DJ last year. Should have been used more I thought.:banghead:

DjKyRo
04-13-2011, 02:36 AM
Loved it when they did that with DJ last year. Should have been used more I thought.:banghead:

Wait for Ryan Smith in the slot, we're going to see a lot of RB receiving yards.

OrygunBison
04-13-2011, 03:32 AM

Well, you realize that you can't run it more than a couple/three times a game, right? It needs to be a surprise to work. If you run it 8 times a game, even the worst defenses will shut it down.

Somebody remind me what team shut it down completely last year and we kept running it anyway. THAT was frustrating.

344Johnson
04-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Well, you realize that you can't run it more than a couple/three times a game, right? It needs to be a surprise to work. If you run it 8 times a game, even the worst defenses will shut it down.

Somebody remind me what team shut it down completely last year and we kept running it anyway. THAT was frustrating.

While you are completely right in that you can only run it so many times...we didn't always utilize DJ as we could have. Now with all of these supreme talents can we run some nice quick outs or routes to get them into open space? Absolutely. At least thats what I'd do on NCAA football 11 ;) We will see what happens this year. I'm very excited to see if we utilize these players effectively. Also, we run too many dives I think.

HerdBot
04-13-2011, 04:08 AM
Wait for Ryan Smith in the slot, we're going to see a lot of RB receiving yards.

If we use him right he will be an absolute stud. If we don't it could be a waste. He should be used in the short passing game like quick slants, hitches, bubble screens, and reverses. To expect a guy who has never played receiver before to learn a bunch of complicated routes is tough. Smiths biggest skill is running with the ball... not running routes... but he will have to expand his game because teams will figure him out after they have tape on him.

I think it would be bad ass to do an occasional splitback with DJ and Smith and motion Smith to the slot when there is a good matchup. Heck with Sigers and Ojuri might as well run the split back more often since we have more good players at running back. Heck we're so loaded we bad to move our #2 guy to punter!