PDA

View Full Version : Expectations & Predictions

CaBisonFan
04-12-2011, 12:56 AM
My expectation for any Bison football team is to compete for the national title...and I see no problem with having that expectation. That's what you come to North Dakota State to play for.

It really doesn't matter to me where the wins come from. If we were more of a sure thing on offense I'd say 10-1...but we're not there right now. As others have written...the defense looks to be outstanding.

I don't care about the Marker or any other pre-playoff trophies. My eye is on the big one. A solid leader at quarterback will determine how far the 2011 team goes.

I await your predictions...oh yeah...mine is 9-2.

Gully
04-12-2011, 01:23 AM
8-3 and at least one home playoff game.

X-Factor
04-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Too early to tell for me. I would like to see us get completely through spring without any more injuries. This team has the chance to do things no other Bison team has done.

No_Skill
04-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Just like last year...I reserve the right to make a prediction until after the spring game.

ndsubison1
04-12-2011, 02:50 AM
How I see it right now:

Lafayette- Normally a competitive team in the Patriot. Last year they struggled. Easy win.

St. Francis- Down right awful in a not so good conference (NEC). Blowout win.

@ Minnesota- Gophs will already have played 3 games before they play NDSU. Including USC. They seem to be on the right track with the new coach. Close Loss.

Illinois St.- ISU has one of the best QBs in the MVC. They lose some solid seniors but bring in some transfers. Theyll be competitive. NDSU too good at home. Win.

@ Southern Illinois- SIU was down last season but they had a plethora of injuries. They return quite a bit of starters. No reason to believe theyll be down again. Close Loss.

Missouri St.- MSU was the worst team in the MVC last season. I dont see them being any better. Easy win.

@ SDSU- NDSU has traditionally struggled in Brookings. SDSU loses some key seniors but they seemed to underachieve quite a bit last season. SDSU will still be a very competitive team. Close Win.

Northern Iowa- UNI has had NDSU's number thus far. This will be the Panthers toughest Bison test yet, not mention it's in Fargo. Bison win a hard fought game.

@ Indiana St.- Sycamores are on the uprise and should make a run at the playoffs. Tough game. Bison win.

Youngstown St.- YSU seems to be on the upswing again, but theyre playing at the Dome. Bison win.

@ Western Illinois- Good luck guessing how good WIU will be this season. Bison still win.

9-2 :bow:

SDbison
04-12-2011, 03:03 AM
First of all a victory the third game of the season against the Goofers will be huge (more press coverage and fan attention from this victory than all the playoff games through the national championship). Sorry playoff freaks, FBS trumps all.......hope the Bison are national champs 3 times in a row so we can move to FBS as soon as possible.

Next gotta beat the funnies, dummies or bunnies........whatever they are called. They think that South Dakota cares about college football, but only Brookings and a few podunk towns around there give a rip. If the Bison would just get a mindset to kick the jacka$$es around the field they would hardly ever lose to those pretenders and this would be no rivalry.

Finally, time to take UNI and piss pound them. Tired of the purple pussies having their way. Enough is enough and a takeover of the MVFC gets serious when the pansies go down on the Bison. Its playoff time after that and can't see anyone stopping the Bison from penetrating deep into the playoffs. Not even the red stained cloth that EWU over uses to prevent other teams from scoring. Lets do this!

DjKyRo
04-12-2011, 03:08 AM
For me, the expectation is improvement. The regular season showed we still have some layover from the 3-8 year and I need to see that removed before I begin to set the standard outlandishly high. That said, I at the very least expect a winning record in conference (which we still haven't gotten in D-I. :hide:).

As far as what we can do? I'm optimistic. I don't think winning the conference is at all out of the question though I think UNI is still by default the favorite. I feel like it's our year to show the Panthers what's up and to make a statement to the rest of the MVFC that we're dangerous and we're for real. I think winning at Minnesota would be a monster W and bonus points as far as I'm concerned, but @ SDSU and at home vs. UNI are must-win.

I think 9-2 is very possible, but I do expect us to return to the playoffs, whether as an at large or, hopefully, auto-bid.

CaBisonFan
04-12-2011, 03:21 AM
....hope the Bison are national champs 3 times in a row so we can move to FBS as soon as possible.

I'm with you on this SDbison.

SDbison
04-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Thanks CA. Glad to see some here see the light.

CaBisonFan
04-12-2011, 03:42 AM
For me, the expectation is improvement. The regular season showed we still have some layover from the 3-8 year and I need to see that removed before I begin to set the standard outlandishly high. That said, I at the very least expect a winning record in conference (which we still haven't gotten in D-I. :hide:).

As far as what we can do? I'm optimistic. I don't think winning the conference is at all out of the question though I think UNI is still by default the favorite. I feel like it's our year to show the Panthers what's up and to make a statement to the rest of the MVFC that we're dangerous and we're for real. I think winning at Minnesota would be a monster W and bonus points as far as I'm concerned, but @ SDSU and at home vs. UNI are must-win.

I think 9-2 is very possible, but I do expect us to return to the playoffs, whether as an at large or, hopefully, auto-bid.

This is probably more based on reality...but I'm not dealing with reality very well.

NDSUstudent
04-12-2011, 03:42 AM
MVFC title.

344Johnson
04-12-2011, 03:44 AM
I think 9-2 would be great. But we always find an extra game to piss down our leg. 9-2 or 8-3 are successful. 7-4 unsuccessful (unless that gets us to the playoffs and we DJ our way to the title.)

DjKyRo
04-12-2011, 03:45 AM
This is probably more based on reality...but I'm not dealing with reality very well.

I dig it CA. Our team absolutely has the ability to make some magic if the right pieces come together.

CaBisonFan
04-12-2011, 03:51 AM
Thanks CA. Glad to see some here see the light.

I'm in the 'let's build a stadium' movement...but I'm not sure how much company I have. Build the stadium and grab an invitation to an FBS conference when it's possible. The enormous potential of the sleeping giant (FM area) has been proven with our appearances in Minneapolis. I'd like to see a few visits from high-profile FBS teams in Fargo in my lifetime. Can you imagine hosting someone like Misssouri or BYU in Fargo? It would be the biggest athletic event in the history of the state. You couldn't get enough tickets.

CaBisonFan
04-12-2011, 03:55 AM
I dig it CA. Our team absolutely has the ability to make some magic if the right pieces come together.

I see the missing piece as being the QB. A legitimate leader needs to emerge there before we realize our potential. Until then...we're 8-3 or 7-4. Waiting for the next legitimate star QB to take over. Will it be Brock? Esley? Wentz? Somebody...please do it.

CaBisonFan
04-12-2011, 03:56 AM
I think 9-2 would be great. But we always find an extra game to piss down our leg. 9-2 or 8-3 are successful. 7-4 unsuccessful (unless that gets us to the playoffs and we DJ our way to the title.)

You're right about pissing. An offensive leader 'must' emerge. The offense needs to help the D out.

perthbison
04-12-2011, 03:58 AM
[QUOTE=ming01;490673]How I see it right now:

Northern Iowa- UNI has had NDSU's number thus far. This will be the Panthers toughest Bison test yet, not mention it's in Fargo. Bison win a hard fought game as their coach looks pissed the whole trip. There'll be a couple fights and some unecessary roughness penalties.

BadlandsBison
04-12-2011, 04:03 AM
[QUOTE=ming01;490673]How I see it right now:

Northern Iowa- UNI has had NDSU's number thus far. This will be the Panthers toughest Bison test yet, not mention it's in Fargo. Bison win a hard fought game as their coach looks pissed the whole trip. There'll be a couple fights and some unecessary roughness penalties.

Hopefully the Bison can keep it clean and just execute:duel:

CaBisonFan
04-12-2011, 04:06 AM
[quote=ming01;490673]How I see it right now:

I like it.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
04-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Bison will have one off game but then will have a deep run in the playoffs, they will beat the gophers though and will have one MVFC loss.
10-1

NDSUFan_Sav
04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
1-0 after the first game!!!

SDbison
04-12-2011, 03:20 PM
1-0 after the first game!!!
Wow, way to go out on a limb there Sav. I will one up you and say the Bison will be 2-0 after 2 games.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Wow, way to go out on a limb there Sav. I will one up you and say the Bison will be 2-0 after 2 games.

hahaha ill g out on a limb and say I can't wait to be in Texas come Jan.

Screamin_Eagle174
04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
hahaha ill g out on a limb and say I can't wait to be in Texas come Jan.

Gonna come watch us play? :D

344Johnson
04-12-2011, 07:15 PM

Haha, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we have a much much bigger chance to make it over EWU. But hey! The season isn't played out on paper.

ndsubison1
04-12-2011, 07:26 PM

NDSU vs. EWU. ohhhhhhhhhhh sick

344Johnson
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
If we made it, i'd want to play against App. State. the biggest profile team to give us the biggest amount of recognition.

TheBisonator
04-12-2011, 07:33 PM
8-3 regular season is the balancing point for me. If we go 7-4, I consider it a disappointment, 8-3 will meet my expectations. 9-2 or 10-1 or 11-0 I consider an accomplishment.

I never have playoff expectations before or during the regular season, personally. Playoffs are a completely different kettle of fish from the regular season. Once we're in them, that's when I start making predictions.

TheBisonator
04-12-2011, 07:37 PM

I'd like to see Fargo-Moorhead MSA reach 300,000 people before it happens. (That was the population tipping point for the Boise metro area when Boise State moved to FBS) but I have a lot of confidence that it can happen not long after the beginning of next decade.

TheBisonator
04-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Lafayette- Win
St. Francis- Win
@ Minnesota- Toss up 50/50
Illinois St.- Win
@ Southern Illinois- Toss up/lean towards loss
Missouri St.- Win
@ SDSU- Toss up 50/50
Northern Iowa- Toss up 50/50
@ Indiana St.- Toss up/lean towards win
Youngstown St.- Win
@ Western Illinois- Toss up/lean towards win

I think we have 5 sure wins in there already (The 2 OOC warmups and the bottom three home conference games), and 6 toss-ups, 3 of them 50/50, 2 of them lean to win and one of them lean to loss. If we take Indiana State and WIU along with the other 5, that leaves one more game to win to get to 8. This may be a year where we go undefeated at home and do not so great on the road, but still end up with 8 wins and the playoffs.

Biggest games of year (in no order)

Minnesota
South Dakota State
Northern Iowa

I really want to see us take at least 2 out of these 3. I think a conference championship will depend on how well we do in those three games (never mind the Goofs are an OOC game).

Southern Illinois on the road will be our toughest game of the year to win, IMO. And I'm serious.

CaBisonFan
04-12-2011, 07:51 PM
8-3 regular season is the balancing point for me. If we go 7-4, I consider it a disappointment, 8-3 will meet my expectations. 9-2 or 10-1 or 11-0 I consider an accomplishment.

I never have playoff expectations before or during the regular season, personally. Playoffs are a completely different kettle of fish from the regular season. Once we're in them, that's when I start making predictions.

9-2 or 10-1 means that we have an outstanding quarterback emerge as a real leader...a clutch gamer with some cockiness. It also puts us in the national title hunt. Without that leader, we're a 3-5 loss team...imo. We can't continue to put our defense out there for 2/3 of a game.

I'm counting on someone to step up this fall. We have the talent and depth there now. It's time for someone to help us forget about Steve Walker. Time for the OC to join the FCS. He needs to step up too. Without these 2 things...we're a slightly-above-average MVFC team because of our defense and running game.

CAS4127
04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
9-2 or 10-1 means that we have an outstanding quarterback emerge as a real leader...a clutch gamer with some cockiness. It also puts us in the national title hunt. Without that leader, we're a 3-5 loss team...imo. We can't continue to put our defense out there for 2/3 of a game.

I'm counting on someone to step up this fall. We have the talent and depth there now. It's time for someone to help us forget about Steve Walker. Time for the OC to join the FCS. He needs to step up too. Without these 2 things...we're a slightly-above-average MVFC team because of our defense and running game.

++++++++++++++++:judges: :judges:

Plus, is anyone sure whether we will be as good on defense this year as we were last year? I know I'm not.

Answer Guy
04-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Plus, is anyone sure whether we will be as good on defense this year as we were last year? I know I'm not.

Defense is much improved.

So far, only one felony. :hide:

lakesbison
04-12-2011, 08:09 PM
The defenses GOAL is no more than 1 touchdown a game.

Only loss I see potentially is gophers.

UNI/SDSU are locks.

I'm going road trippin to SIU, A LOT of you should too.(bus trip?)

#1 seed, 2 wins at dome and championship!!

(Mwill & B-turn leave early & go pro)..Haha

CAS4127
04-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Defense is much improved.

So far, only one felony. :hide:

I was talking abilities, not propensities--but I understand your inability to understand. Kinda goes with the team you support--lot's of inability up there, ability-wise that is. Follow???!!

P.S. Ask Lakes to interpret if you don't.

Tatanka
04-12-2011, 08:21 PM

UNI/SDSU are locks.

I plan to be at SIU as well. Got relatives in Carbondale and in STL. Can't wait for some BISON Football!

HandoEX
04-12-2011, 08:21 PM
14-1 National Champions :cheers:

roadwarrior
04-12-2011, 08:34 PM

Do you want a tour when you arrive?

344Johnson
04-12-2011, 08:51 PM
++++++++++++++++:judges: :judges:

Ability is there to be better I think but I feel like it depends if we can replace Gratzek relatively well. I'm not counting on the replacement(s) to be as good. Just be good hopefully. Marcus Williams and Pierre can only improve. Jemison is already pretty good I think. Preston can hopefully do his thing some more. Danny Eaves and Heagle can hopefully keep laying hits.

9-2, we will screw up a game or two

houndawg
04-12-2011, 11:02 PM

UNI/SDSU are locks.

I thought no more than one TD per game was your offensive goal.

There are only four games you can possibly lose: UM, UNI,SIU, and SDSU

Minnesota: Important not to panic when you lose this one or let it be a morale killer.

UNI: Best chance to get your first win over a club that embarrassed you badly last season; might happen, but the Panthers seem to own you. They are at least as physical as the Bison, clearly faster, and return 18 starters. Won't be a gimmee, even at home.

SIU: Dominated the game last year everywhere but the scoreboard with their worst team in a decade, the kind of game that usually has certain Bison fans saying: "Yeah, but we beat the stuffing out of them" when they lose them. Get a hold of me for the tailgate and I'll buy the beer - you're going to have a long ride home.

SDSU - Should be a Bison win, but for the rivalry aspect. Best team you ever had went into Brookings and got it handed to them by a .500 Jacks team.

So: While 10-1 could happen, it isn't very probable that you will beat the Gophers, Jacks, and Panthers playing two of them on the road. 9-2 could happen if you catch two of those three napping napping. 8-3 is most likely what will happen, or 7-4 if the Jacks are laying in the weeds for you.

The good news is that 7-4 sniffs the playoffs with the new diluted field, and the Bison could be 7-4 and still be a much better team than last season. I'd be real happy with 8-3 if I were you and happy with 7-4 - either will mean that you finished above .500 in the MVC for the first time. Which will be a pretty good accomplishment given that the MVC is likely to be quite a bit tougher next season.

TheBisonator
04-12-2011, 11:21 PM

Minnesota: Important not to panic when you lose this one or let it be a morale killer.

UNI: Best chance to get your first win over a club that embarrassed you badly last season; might happen, but the Panthers seem to own you. They are at least as physical as the Bison, clearly faster, and return 18 starters. Won't be a gimmee, even at home.

SIU: Dominated the game last year everywhere but the scoreboard with their worst team in a decade, the kind of game that usually has certain Bison fans saying: "Yeah, but we beat the stuffing out of them" when they lose them. Get a hold of me for the tailgate and I'll buy the beer - you're going to have a long ride home.

SDSU - Should be a Bison win, but for the rivalry aspect. Best team you ever had went into Brookings and got it handed to them by a .500 Jacks team.

So: While 10-1 could happen, it isn't very probable that you will beat the Gophers, Jacks, and Panthers playing two of them on the road. 9-2 could happen if you catch two of those three napping napping. 8-3 is most likely what will happen, or 7-4 if the Jacks are laying in the weeds for you.

The good news is that 7-4 sniffs the playoffs with the new diluted field, and the Bison could be 7-4 and still be a much better team than last season. I'd be real happy with 8-3 if I were you and happy with 7-4 - either will mean that you finished above .500 in the MVC for the first time. Which will be a pretty good accomplishment given that the MVC is likely to be quite a bit tougher next season.

No question, you guys will be our toughest game next season. Tougher than the Goofers, tougher than UNI.

HerdBot
04-12-2011, 11:37 PM
My expectation for any Bison football team is to compete for the national title...and I see no problem with having that expectation. That's what you come to North Dakota State to play for.

It really doesn't matter to me where the wins come from. If we were more of a sure thing on offense I'd say 10-1...but we're not there right now. As others have written...the defense looks to be outstanding.

I don't care about the Marker or any other pre-playoff trophies. My eye is on the big one. A solid leader at quarterback will determine how far the 2011 team goes.

First off I expect we don't have any more offseason garbage. Howard is not that big of a loss.

Were going be be better. Were going to be favored. The team needs to get used to playing their best game every week because when your no longer the hunters and your now the hunted, everyone will bring their A game every week. Its going to be much harder than last year when we were picked 7th. If we get complacent on defense and don't improve on offense were going to go 6-5 or 5-6.

I expect us to compete hard every week and have a chance to win every game. I expect to see dramatic improvement out of the QB, whoever it is. I expect young guys on the offense line like Turner, Hinz, Beckius, and Lund to improve dramatically. I expect one of the young receivers to step up. I expect Holloway and Veldman have breakout years. I expect Vigen will improve and get the guys ready to open up the playbook.

I expect the defense to be as good or better. Why not? We had 5 guys (olson, williams, perry, heagle, jirik) play substantial time as freshman and made an impact. I expect Juckem to put it all together and make an impact.

I expect us to win 3/5 out of these games. Gophers, SDSU, UNI, SIU, WIU. If we lose more than 2 then we damn well better win the rest. Were better than the Gophers. Don't let anyone fool you but we need to play well. Can't lose to SDSU and UNI in the same season.

If that happens I expect us to get a bye and a home playoff game. That means were only 3 wins away from a National Championship game with good chances 2 of those games are at home.

But it means nothing if we don't win the conference.

Lastly...
Oh and we need to stay healthy. That means get lucky like last year and don't get hurt or develop depth.

EndZoneQB
04-12-2011, 11:49 PM

I agree, even with a good team, it seems no team really straight out dominates the MVFC. Most of the teams are pretty physical, but it seems like there is even a contrast in style between the teams that sometimes creates a weird mismatch and causes a question mark loss. For us, see MSU last year.

One thing is for sure, I love this conference. Good post!(and :rimshot: for that cheap shot)

IzzyFlexion
04-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Gonna come watch us play pocket pool while two teams other than EWU compete for the title? :D

E.Y.P. (embellished your post)

lakesbison
04-12-2011, 11:58 PM
houndpuppy; Best team you ever had went into Brookings and got it handed to them by a .500 Jacks team

Handed to us? 1 blocked punt, 1 bad interception and a stupid kid from sdsu fields a punt on his own 5 yard line..... they did not "hand it to us" 25-21 score

SIU is a joke, Im not even worried about them with that horse___ coach that has only taken that program, down, down down...

HerdBot
04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
houndpuppy; Best team you ever had went into Brookings and got it handed to them by a .500 Jacks team

Handed to us? 1 blocked punt, 1 bad interception and a stupid kid from sdsu fields a punt on his own 5 yard line..... they did not "hand it to us" 25-21 score

SIU is a joke, Im not even worried about them with that horse___ coach that has only taken that program, down, down down...

And don't forget the game changing non fumble by Shamen on the kickofd. That was a game changing call confirmed by replay. Gave them a chip shot field goal and kept offense off the field

CaBisonFan
04-13-2011, 12:59 AM
We handed the game to SDSU in 2007. It was an early Christmas present, wrapped and hand-delivered several times. "Here...I don't want the ball."

AjaxTheMighty
04-13-2011, 02:49 AM
I hate making predictions, so I won't. Injuries can change a season pretty fast. Everybody has had to go through it at some time. I just hope we stay healthy and get better QB play. If that happens NDSU will be a tough win for every team they play and that includes the Goophs!

Go Bison!

houndawg
04-13-2011, 03:07 AM
I agree, even with a good team, it seems no team really straight out dominates the MVFC. Most of the teams are pretty physical, but it seems like there is even a contrast in style between the teams that sometimes creates a weird mismatch and causes a question mark loss. For us, see MSU last year.

One thing is for sure, I love this conference. Good post!(and :rimshot: for that cheap shot)

Good point about the style contrast and lack of serious domination, I can only remember one undefeated conference season. Last year we beat UNI and WIU, and lost to YSU. Sometimes you just gotta scratch your head. Another thing to keep an eye on is how seldom the pre-season favorite wins the conference. It's almost like the SI jinx.

Screamin_Eagle174
04-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Haha, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we have a much much bigger chance to make it over EWU. But hey! The season isn't played out on paper.

http://hoosiergardener.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/broken-tree-limb-stckxprt1-200x300.jpg

Might wanna go on a diet or pick a better limb next time. Just sayin'. ;)

Screamin_Eagle174
04-13-2011, 03:22 AM
NDSU vs. EWU. ohhhhhhhhhhh sick

Oh the hilarity that would ensue. :rofl:

houndawg
04-13-2011, 03:23 AM

I say handed to you because by your own admission that team was the best team that ever has or ever will be in the FCS. Played your arch-rival with an undefeated season on the line......:facepalm:

Yeah, Lennon has really taken us down, two MVC championships in three seasons, one of them 8-0 in conference, and twice voted coach of the year by his peers. You want to whine about coaching, you don't need to go all the way to Carbondale.

344Johnson
04-13-2011, 03:26 AM
haha I usually stay inside Fargo when I want to whine about coaching. Lennon is not great either but...not my place to complain about him

CaBisonFan
04-13-2011, 03:26 AM
I say handed to you because by your own admission that team was the best team that ever has or ever will be in the FCS. Played your arch-rival with an undefeated season on the line......:facepalm:

Yeah, Lennon has really taken us down, two MVC championships in three seasons, one of them 8-0 in conference, and twice voted coach of the year by his peers. You want to whine about coaching, you don't need to go all the way to Carbondale.

Best team 'according to some people.' Were you guys ever in DII?

06panther10
04-13-2011, 03:40 AM
Best team 'according to some people.' Were you guys ever in DII?

oh my...:facepalm:

CaBisonFan
04-13-2011, 03:54 AM
oh my...:facepalm:

Oh yes...your team was there...at home...while we did the national title thing. Yup...at home. Same division...same conference.

HerdBot
04-13-2011, 04:27 AM

Some Siu fans have implied he's good at coaching other coaches players but he can't recruit. They claimed last yearwas the first year they saw HIS players. Now he's resorted to poaching our recruits.

06panther10
04-13-2011, 04:43 AM
Oh yes...your team was there...at home...while we did the national title thing. Yup...at home. Same division...same conference.

I literally cannot express in words how little this matters.

lakesbison
04-13-2011, 04:50 AM
I agree -6panther10

CaBisonFan
04-13-2011, 10:14 AM
I literally cannot express in words how little this matters.

If this topic doesn't matter to you...then why did you get involved in the discussion?

CaBisonFan
04-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I agree -6panther10

Yawn.......:cool:

rutlandbison
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
If this topic doesn't matter to you...then why did you get involved in the discussion?
I think he's referring to your little DII comeback in a thread about predictions for this upcoming year.

MNLonghorn10
04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
d2 titles don't count anymore.

please stop using it as a stepping stone for prestige. Leave it for mn duluth.

houndawg
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Some Siu fans have implied he's good at coaching other coaches players but he can't recruit. They claimed last yearwas the first year they saw HIS players. Now he's resorted to poaching our recruits.

If you think about it it's obvious that there are still many Kill recruits on the team. Insiders say that the program's biggest loss when Kill left was strength/conditioning coach Eric Klein. IMO the jury is still out on recruiting, last year before the season the word was that we'd be a little down from the '09 team. We were a lot down but that isn't easy to pin on Lennon - any team that loses three out of four preseason All-Americans would be in the same boat. From my own game attendance I think he's a good enough on-field coach, at least as good as Kill. As for coaching somebody else's players, I don't get why everybody thinks that is easy. I think that changing offenses and going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and winning the conference in your first season with five seniors starting is a good job of coaching no matter how good the athletes are.

bisonfan08
04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
What I would like to see is the team go 8-3 and I will call it a successful year. Anything better than that will be a great accomplishment and less than that would be a dissappointment. I agree that a QB needs to step to lead this team and I think that Brock will do so. It's going to help a lot this year to have 3 RB's that can break a long run at any given time and to have some WR's that can get open and make a play. From what is being said so far Vraa and Gebhart sure seem to be looking good, I'm excited to see the spring game to see them in action.

semobison
04-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Like most of you, I think that our offense is our big question mark. Last year we were awful in the MVFC. If we go into conference games with the mentality that we are going to run the ball down the opponents throat, I see trouble! It doesnt work in the Valley! last year we led the league in 3 and outs! There will be games where we will need to pass to set up the run! If our passing game is a threat it will only help DJ and our running game. We need much improved play in our QB and WR's! If we are not so damn predictable offensively, next year could be somthing special! 9-2 is not out of the question! If we are the same old predictable offense I see continued medial success in conference play!

HerdBot
04-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Like most of you, I think that our offense is our big question mark. Last year we were awful in the MVFC. If we go into conference games with the mentality that we are going to run the ball down the opponents throat, I see trouble! It doesnt work in the Valley! last year we led the league in 3 and outs! There will be games where we will need to pass to set up the run! If our passing game is a threat it will only help DJ and our running game. We need much improved play in our QB and WR's! If we are not so damn predictable offensively, next year could be somthing special! 9-2 is not out of the question! If we are the same old predictable offense I see continued medial success in conference play!

Your right. Were actually built to win in the playoffs but not to win a conference championship. We must improve the passing game or were going down the path of another 6-5 season.

bisonfan11
04-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I think the Bison will go 9-2, win the MVFC, and be in the mix for a National Championship!

bisonmike2
04-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I think the Bison will go 9-2, win the MVFC, and be in the mix for a National Championship!

I approve of this statement.

CaBisonFan
04-13-2011, 08:02 PM
I think he's referring to your little DII comeback in a thread about predictions for this upcoming year.

It began with the discussion about the 2007 team being the greatest Bison team ever...in an in-yir-face manner. That's an opinion held by some people. I don't happen to share it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone there. The 2007 team would rank as 'one' of the best teams. The dynasty teams could have played in any division and would have done very, very well. A Bentrim or Simdorn team would have handed it to the 2007 Jack team.

rutlandbison
04-13-2011, 10:56 PM
It began with the discussion about the 2007 team being the greatest Bison team ever...in an in-yir-face manner. That's an opinion held by some people. I don't happen to share it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone there. The 2007 team would rank as 'one' of the best teams. The dynasty teams could have played in any division and would have done very, very well. A Bentrim or Simdorn team would have handed it to the 2007 Jack team.
O so you went from 2007 straight to DII. Using DII is a pathetic excuse when talking about the here and now. Yeah, it's nice to remember, but most people, especially fans of rivals, dont give jack shit about what happened 20 years ago on a football field.

CaBisonFan
04-14-2011, 02:46 AM
O so you went from 2007 straight to DII. Using DII is a pathetic excuse when talking about the here and now. Yeah, it's nice to remember, but most people, especially fans of rivals, dont give jack shit about what happened 20 years ago on a football field.

No...I didn't...someone else did. When someone says that the 2007 team was the greatest ever...then I'll enter the discussion. That person was referencing history by doing so. Calling the 2007 team the greatest team ever is to ignore the tradition. That team is 'one' of the great Bison teams.

westnodak93bison
04-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Just win. This has to be a year of "firsts". Need the first win against MN in their new house, first win against UNI since the 70-80's?, need first win in Carbondale, and others.

sambini
04-14-2011, 04:33 AM

One game at a time...

Screamin_Eagle174
04-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Just win. This has to be a year of "firsts". Need the first win against MN in their new house, first win against UNI since the 70-80's?, need first win in Carbondale, and others.

Maybe even your first conference record above .500. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. :D

IzzyFlexion
04-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Maybe even your first conference record above .500. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. :D

That is absolutely one of the goals. Another one to shoot for is to increase the win percentage against FBS teams to .625 (up from the current .571)since 2006.
Just out of curiosity, what is EWU's win percentage against FBS teams during that same period?

rutlandbison
04-14-2011, 11:15 AM
No...I didn't...someone else did. When someone says that the 2007 team was the greatest ever...then I'll enter the discussion. That person was referencing history by doing so. Calling the 2007 team the greatest team ever is to ignore the tradition. That team is 'one' of the great Bison teams.
No....Pretty sure it was you asking that SIU fan if they were ever DII?

Screamin_Eagle174
04-14-2011, 06:22 PM
That is absolutely one of the goals. Another one to shoot for is to increase the win percentage against FBS teams to .625 (up from the current .571)since 2006.
Just out of curiosity, what is EWU's win percentage against FBS teams during that same period?

Piss poor. Then again, We've played ranked Pac-10, Big 12, and Big East teams. I don't get why our AD hasn't tried to schedule bottom of the barrel FBS like Minnesota or Ball State.

CAS4127
04-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Piss poor. Then again, We've played ranked Pac-10, Big 12, and Big East teams. I don't get why our AD hasn't tried to schedule bottom of the barrel FBS like Minnesota or Ball State.

Screamer: Just as an FYI, Lakes and many others here have elephant memories. You had better hope, given all the smack you have been talking, that EWU has a hell of a good season, or this shit is gonna come back to haunt you big time, and I think it is going to.

CaBisonFan
04-14-2011, 10:46 PM
No....Pretty sure it was you asking that SIU fan if they were ever DII?

It started with someone saying that the 07 team was the greatest ever. They referenced history. That's where I entered. Have you been to the big city of Cayuga lately?

CaBisonFan
04-14-2011, 11:03 PM

The year that we beat Ball State they were eventually ranked in the top 25, I think...or it might have been the next year with mostly the same guys. They took Michigan to the brink in Ann Harbor. Had a really, really good team. Central Michigan won the MAC and was flying high. We beat them 44-14...or something like that...at their house. They went to a bowl game. I think that they were ranked at some point during that period. Minnesota went to a bowl game in 2006.

We went into our new conference after having lost one of the best quarterbacks in our history...plus a ton of other talent. We're just in the process of reloading. Would love to play you when we have more experience at QB. You had a good team. Most people here would agree that winning the MVFC is a necessary step in the process.

ndsubison1
04-14-2011, 11:11 PM
The year that we beat Ball State they were eventually ranked in the top 25, I think...or it might have been the next year with mostly the same guys. They took Michigan to the brink in Ann Harbor. Had a really, really good team. Central Michigan won the MAC and was flying high. We beat them 44-14...or something like that...at their house. They went to a bowl game. I think that they were ranked at some point during that period. Minnesota went to a bowl game in 2006.

We went into our new conference after having lost one of the best quarterbacks in our history...plus a ton of other talent. We're just in the process of reloading. Would love to play you when we have more experience at QB. You had a good team. Most people here would agree that winning the MVFC is a necessary step in the process.

ball st was ranked two seasons ago. not when we played them

56BISON73
04-14-2011, 11:36 PM
ball st was ranked two seasons ago. not when we played them

Not to mention the fact that half the team was suspended the year before.

CaBisonFan
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Not to mention the fact that half the team was suspended the year before.

So we're downplaying the win over Ball State? Am I wrong about their near-win at Michigan?

56BISON73
04-14-2011, 11:53 PM
So we're downplaying the win over Ball State? Am I wrong about their near-win at Michigan?

Just bringing more facts to the table. Near win? You gotta be kidding me that that gives you a warm fuzzy?

BisonNeil
04-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Just bringing more facts to the table. Near win? You gotta be kidding me that that gives you a warm fuzzy?

To be perfectly honest, it did give me a warm and fuzzy.

My boss is a huge Michigan fan and Ball State, and not a very good one at that, took Michigan early in the game. While Michigan eventually won 34-36 it made my boss squirm, a lot, especially since NDSU had beaten the ballers earlier in the season. The Wolverines couldn't put them away, turning the ball over a few times.

I had a great time giving him crap during the game leaving him little phone messages. It was sweet, and warm and fuzzy, all at the same time.

CaBisonFan
04-15-2011, 01:32 AM

Oh 73...the devil's advocate with a fishing reel. No...not a warm fuzzy...fact.

WYOBISONMAN
04-15-2011, 01:52 AM

You really shouldn't beat off so much.......the lack of blood in your brain really shows.......

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sgDXxnsAt8A/Se531Rgy_sI/AAAAAAAADlU/SVSBjmX7AiQ/s400/DoItAtHomeBeatOff.jpg

Screamin_Eagle174
04-15-2011, 02:56 AM
Screamer: Just as an FYI, Lakes and many others here have elephant memories. You had better hope, given all the smack you have been talking, that EWU has a hell of a good season, or this shit is gonna come back to haunt you big time, and I think it is going to.

Why would any of this haunt me? Lakes is a douche, I couldn't care less about what he says or thinks. I'd imagine it'd be worse for you guys if the bison happen to sh*t the bed this year with how pretentious the majority of you have become after winning two games in the playoffs. :omfg:

Screamin_Eagle174
04-15-2011, 02:58 AM

Did you get the keys all sticky?

4mcruenomore
04-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Why would any of this haunt me? Lakes is a douche, I couldn't care less about what he says or thinks. I'd imagine it'd be worse for you guys if the bison happen to sh*t the bed this year with how pretentious the majority of you have become after winning two games in the playoffs. :omfg:

Screamin Eagle = DaveK

good one Dave

ndsubison1
04-15-2011, 03:06 AM

i was wrong. it was 3 seasons ago that they were ranked. it is true that they took michigan to the brink in 2006 and lost 34-26. that was the year michigan nearly made the national championship game

CaBisonFan
04-15-2011, 03:40 AM

Must be a lonesome existence eagle. It hasn't even occurred to me to visit your team's website. Do you forget where you are once in a while? Hmmm...?

You had a 'good' team last year. The Bison surprised us a little by making a decent playoff run. One never knows how a team turns out until it hits the field. On paper, 2011 looks very good. Forgive us for being excited...:cool:...and expressing it here on Bisonville.

You're assuming that any of us care what you think about anyone here.

Screamin_Eagle174
04-15-2011, 04:16 AM
Must be a lonesome existence eagle. It hasn't even occurred to me to visit your team's website. Do you forget where you are once in a while? Hmmm...?

You had a 'good' team last year. The Bison surprised us a little by making a decent playoff run. One never knows how a team turns out until it hits the field. On paper, 2011 looks very good. Forgive us for being excited...:cool:...and expressing it here on Bisonville.

You're assuming that any of us care what you think about anyone here.

:rofl:

You all obviously care a lot, evidenced by the amount of replies to the UND smack thread. Inferiority complex much? ;)

56BISON73
04-15-2011, 04:22 AM
To be perfectly honest, it did give me a warm and fuzzy.

My boss is a huge Michigan fan and Ball State, and not a very good one at that, took Michigan early in the game. While Michigan eventually won 34-36 it made my boss squirm, a lot, especially since NDSU had beaten the ballers earlier in the season. The Wolverines couldn't put them away, turning the ball over a few times.

I had a great time giving him crap during the game leaving him little phone messages. It was sweet, and warm and fuzzy, all at the same time.

Warm and fuzzy over an almost-moral victory from a team that the Bison beat. Thats funny.

BlueBisonRock
04-15-2011, 04:22 AM

You all obviously care a lot, evidenced by my immature ego. For me its an Inferiority complex because I have such a short dick :blush:

You have my sympathy dude! It does take some kahonas to make that admission. Sorry to hear the girls just point and laugh.

CaBisonFan
04-15-2011, 04:27 AM

You all obviously care a lot, evidenced by the amount of replies to the UND smack thread. Inferiority complex much? ;)

Just keep pounding that stick. Lonesome...lonesome.

CaBisonFan
04-15-2011, 04:38 AM
Warm and fuzzy over an almost-moral victory from a team that the Bison beat. Thats funny.

Doesn't take much to amuse you 73. Is fishin' that bad?

56BISON73
04-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Doesn't take much to amuse you 73. Is fishin' that bad?

Hmmmm getting bonners over other teams moral victories and then try and compare the Bison to it isnt amusing. Its sad.
But hey what ever puffs your cheeto.

EndZoneQB
04-15-2011, 05:17 AM
Hmmmm getting bonners over other teams moral victories and then try and compare the Bison to it isnt amusing. Its sad.

Gotta agree here, close games happen all the time between teams that shouldn't be on the same field together 9 times out of 10. Any given Saturday.

CaBisonFan
04-15-2011, 06:43 AM

Me...and my shadow... :innocent: ...Feels like I have one...and not just on this thread. Whatever turns you on.

56BISON73
04-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Me...and my shadow... :innocent: ...Feels like I have one...and not just on this thread. Whatever turns you on.

I wasnt the one making the comparison. So its what ever turns you on. Nice try

CaBisonFan
04-15-2011, 02:00 PM
I wasnt the one making the comparison. So its what ever turns you on. Nice try

Oh 73....there's a common thread...:cool:...wasn't talking about the comparison. You know what I meant.

My own personal critic...I'm flattered.

bpcats
04-15-2011, 04:02 PM
From what I saw of the Bison last year, the only thing holding the team back from a deep playoff run is a legit passing attack which was hiding behind the outhouse last year. :hide:

Your team has all the other pieces in place and should be the favorite in most contests.

344Johnson
04-15-2011, 05:17 PM
From what I saw of the Bison last year, the only thing holding the team back from a deep playoff run is a legit passing attack which was hiding behind the outhouse last year. :hide:

Your team has all the other pieces in place and should be the favorite in most contests.

100% agreed. Hopefully we can get something that resembles a passing game. If we do, we should control our destiny.

Scooter1
04-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Expectations...Bison Defense the Strength of team.

NDSU has a ton of young talent coming back. The reps that the young linebackers are getting due to the absence of Jemison and Evans are going to bring dividends this fall. The addition of Boyd and hopefully Colvin to the defensive back ranks should give NDSU 4 solid corners. I have the feeling that Zach Colvin may be another Marcus Williams. The kid looked fantastic on film. On the defensive line I guess Ryan Drevlow is the real deal. I was a bit concerned when they moved Gimmestad to the Offensive line but it sounds like he will be a contributor there. The one thing that I see when I look at this defense is an increase in overall speed and athletic ability. Drevlow is starting at NG...I think this will be the first time ever that the starting NG for NDSU was also on his high school track 3200 meter relay team. Perry had some fun in his High school backfield and at 274 moves like he is 245. Coulter Boyer gives blockers fits and it sounds like there is going to be one hell of a dogfight for the final end position (Emmanuel, Jirik, Stockzynski...) The offense should be better, but the defense will be the strength of this team.

I hate to say it...but I have no confidence in the Vigen as a QB coach or OC. It has been said before...I haven't seen much improvement in our QB ability to read defenses. I blame Vigen. Until we stop being so predictable the offense will struggle. The argument has been that we eventually wear down the defense and pull away in the third and fourth quarters...this needs to change. What ever happened to take the frickin rock and score on the first drive? The offensive firepower is there and most of the offensive line is back. With DJ, Ojuri, Sigers, Hudson, (Crockett), Veldman, Holloway, Vraa, Gebhart, and Smith, there should be no excuse for going into half time with less than 20 points. My expectation for Vigen is to get those 20 points before each half. Bohl says he can coach...time to prove it.

Predictions- Defense will be the strength of this team.

1. Vigen will continue to struggle. I hope I am wrong...God, I hope half way through the season I can choke down a big plate of crow. I predict that the we will be winning but the frustrations will start to mount after game three of the season.

2. NDSU will have a very good handle on how good this defense will be if redshirts get pulled on defense. The incoming freshmen are going to have to be incredible to make the two deep in this roster. Even though the interior line seems thin, I still have faith that we are finally going to see what all the hype was when they recruited Juckem. Have we finally seen the end of pulling six red shirts in one year? There are definitely some kids that will have to get a look... Deshawn Dinwiddle, Frank Veldman, CJ Smith, Dan Miles, Josh Linenby. NDSU is one, maybe two years away from quite possibly one of the best defenses ever to be put on the field at NDSU. (and, we have seen some pretty damn good NDSU defenses).

3. Three teams will make it into the playoffs from the MVC. Youngstown, UNI, SDSU, NDSU, S Illinois, and Indiana St are in the mix for the spots. If NDSU loses to the U of M and can't find UNI's number at home....there won't be much room for error. NDSU will be better than last year...so will S Illinois, Indiana St, and especially Youngstown. This will come down to coaching....shit.

I predict NDSU will get in.

Observations...

NDSU showed some warts last season. The UNI game and Missouri State game were as telling as the big wins they came up with. NDSU got the perfect draw for the first playoff game in Robert Morris. Although we pulled away at the end, I was a little disappointed that this game was as close as it was in the first half. If NDSU is going to make a serious run in the playoffs, we they have to stop giving up so many third down conversions. NDSU has some good momentum going into the season, how the upper classmen mentor these young kids is going to tell the story. Boyer, Evans, Richard, Cornick, Holloway and DJ will have to grab the leadership role on this team. My money is on Evans and DJ.

HerdBot
04-15-2011, 06:25 PM
[B][SIZE="4"]NDSU is one, maybe two years away from quite possibly one of the best defenses ever to be put on the field at NDSU. (and, we have seen some pretty damn good NDSU defenses).

I like your statement but I think we have the potential to have one of the best defenses ever with this group of guys. Our linebackers are stout. Our line can rush the passer and stop the run. Our secondary returns 3 of 4 starters. We have a ton of young guys who.played as freshman and will improve. We are returning most of the coaches.

CAS4127
04-15-2011, 06:29 PM
On behalf of a member of the 1986 Defense, I take exception to where this thread is heading (yes, the 86 D > 88 D (I was captain of this one) > 90 D.*

*Ya, I'm biased, but, just-sayin!!

EastCoastBison
04-15-2011, 06:34 PM
On behalf of a member of the 1986 Defense, I take exception to where this thread is heading (yes, the 86 D > 88 D (I was captain of this one) > 90 D.*

*Ya, I'm biased, but, just-sayin!!

What about the '06 defense that had 7 defensive players get a shot in the NFL and allowed less that 14 points a game while playing two FBS schools?

CAS4127
04-15-2011, 06:39 PM
What about the '06 defense that had 7 defensive players get a shot in the NFL and allowed less that 14 points a game while playing two FBS schools?

Yep, excellent defense there as well--I would say, IMHO, that the 86 and O6 D's are fairly comparable. 86 D had (wait, I need to count them with my fingers) . . . . . . . 5 players (might have been six) who got a shot at NFL, one of whom (Braxton) played for 13 years.

mnriverbison
04-15-2011, 06:52 PM
My hope for this year is that we have another 2007 on our hands. My fear is that we have another 2008.

Lost in all of the spring hype is the fact that optimism is on every campus right now. All of our rivals have youngs studs that they hope will step up and returning players shining in spring practice. Until we see the ball move around on 1st and 2nd down on a regular basis I'll be holding back my enthusiasm.

TheBisonator
04-15-2011, 07:24 PM
My hope for this year is that we have another 2007 on our hands. My fear is that we have another 2008.

Lost in all of the spring hype is the fact that optimism is on every campus right now. All of our rivals have youngs studs that they hope will step up and returning players shining in spring practice. Until we see the ball move around on 1st and 2nd down on a regular basis I'll be holding back my enthusiasm.

In the spring of 2008 basically a quarter of our team was in legal trouble.

So far we've had only one guy get into trouble, and I am not sure if he was given the boot or not.

In the spring of 2008, you could almost smell the 2009 season coming a mile away. I don't see anything like that again in the near future.

X-Factor
04-16-2011, 04:22 AM
It really is amazing how much heat Vigen has been getting. Although, I can't really back him up because there is a lot of truth to it. It is probably safe to say that it is indeed "show me time" as many posters on here have alluded to in reference to Vigen. Bohl may be forced to make a change if we don't see big improvements this season. The question is, would he make that change part way through the season? Is that even possible?

CaBisonFan
04-16-2011, 04:40 AM

Hands down...best defense in Bison history. All ya have to do is watch the vids to see how athletic this group was. It was extremely talented...and it played with a GREAT team concept. It had 'zero' weaknesses. And this team played against several teams that were of FCS caliber at the time.

What was the most points you gave up? 12...13? Don't care what the level of play was. That's unbelievable.

I don't care how many NFL prospects were on another team. This group was absolutely stifling. The entire '86 team could have played against almost any DI team and would have easily stood its ground. Maybe just a few of the very elite DI teams would have dominated...but I have my doubts.

So...what position did you play? Come on...reveal yourself...:cool:

CaBisonFan
04-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Forgot to mention...the '86 team just looked like it had complete confidence. Confidence in the system. Confidence in teammates. Confidence in the coaches.

Oh yeah...great enthusiasm for every play. Every play was like the championship was on the line. Anything less than 3 & out was a big disappointment.

Not absolutely sure...but didn't Rocky coach this defense?

IzzyFlexion
04-16-2011, 12:23 PM
So...what position did you play? Come on...reveal yourself...:cool:

C'mon, Ca.....it's kinda like a "riddle me this" game. It took me awhile, but after some digging and clue analysis, I figured it out.
I know that you are a fan of the "big 80s teams" so you will certainly know who he/she is. (More than likely this person is still a "he") :)

CaBisonFan
04-16-2011, 02:53 PM
C'mon, Ca.....it's kinda like a "riddle me this" game. It took me awhile, but after some digging and clue analysis, I figured it out.
I know that you are a fan of the "big 80s teams" so you will certainly know who he/she is. (More than likely this person is still a "he") :)

Not a game...but I see your point. I can watch the vids and probably figure out who it is.

Notorious
04-16-2011, 03:01 PM

I think I know who she is, and agree with her. I gotta go with '86. Hard to compare teams 20 years apart, but the '86 team would've beat the current teams by 3 touchdowns...minimum.

BisonNeil
04-16-2011, 03:21 PM
It really is amazing how much heat Vigen has been getting. Although, I can't really back him up because there is a lot of truth to it. It is probably safe to say that it is indeed "show me time" as many posters on here have alluded to in reference to Vigen. Bohl may be forced to make a change if we don't see big improvements this season. The question is, would he make that change part way through the season? Is that even possible?

I would say that it is impossible for Bohl to make a change mid-way through the season.

Bohl is very loyal to his coaches although they don't necessarily return the favor. Vigen is also a former Bison player, it would be tough for Bohl to dispatch him.

My prediction is that if Vigen doesn't get his act together he will be asked to step down in the off season, remain an assistant coach, and someone else from within will be promoted. I can't shake the thought that moving Polasek to QB coach would be a good thing since he played the position, but I am sure Bohl loves what he has done with the RBs so that would be a tough move to make.

Despite my own reservations about Vigen I have enough friends around me that feel he will have a break out season this year. So, I remain cautiously optimistic that the Bison offense will improve dramatically this year.

X-Factor
04-16-2011, 05:10 PM
I do recall having similar discussions when Perles first took over OC and he turned out OK towards the end of his stay here. Maybe the same will happen with Vigen

DjKyRo
04-16-2011, 09:35 PM
I would say that it is impossible for Bohl to make a change mid-way through the season.

Bohl is very loyal to his coaches although they don't necessarily return the favor. Vigen is also a former Bison player, it would be tough for Bohl to dispatch him.

My prediction is that if Vigen doesn't get his act together he will be asked to step down in the off season, remain an assistant coach, and someone else from within will be promoted. I can't shake the thought that moving Polasek to QB coach would be a good thing since he played the position, but I am sure Bohl loves what he has done with the RBs so that would be a tough move to make.

Despite my own reservations about Vigen I have enough friends around me that feel he will have a break out season this year. So, I remain cautiously optimistic that the Bison offense will improve dramatically this year.

Without having a concrete opinion on Vigen yet, something to ponder: Polasek has taken over FBs and TEs this season, and Roehl is coaching the RBs specifically. If such a situation arose where Vigen was asked to step down/terminated or whatever, you have the possibility of Vigen perhaps moving to coach QBs while Roehl takes over fullbacks/running backs, and maybe Kenni Burns takes on TEs in addition to WR? Love what Polasek has done but like the idea of Roehl having a big factor in there.

A1pigskin
04-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I would agree CA. 8-3.

HerdBot
04-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Vigen is still relatively young in terms of being an offensive coordinator. You have to expect mistakes the first few years. Its a good long term plan to develop a guy like Vigen and keep him long term as opposed to changing coordinators every damn year.

We need to cut the guy some slack and forget about last year.

Our lack of offense was a team effort. You had bad QB play, bad route running, dropped passes, and generic play calling. The O line looked overwhelmed at times in the passing games. We had 2 QBs with little or no starting experience and changed starters as often as your underwear. Our line changed and we were starting 2 freshman.

Late in the year things started to click. Our running game was dominating at times and they had a tough time stopping it even when they knew it was coming. But the passing game still sucked the big one.

With that being said, things should be better this year and Vigen has no excuses. We've got most of our offensive line returning, 2 QBs with playoff game experience, a stable of great running backs, and our #1 receiver returning with 3 talented young guys to grab the #2 spot. Weve got a talented 6'7" senior tight end.

To top it off, we have 2 cup cake games to prepare for our first real game.

CaBisonFan
04-17-2011, 06:49 PM
This really is a big year for the entire program. We'll see how legitimate the talent is, and how good the coaching staff is. We'll see if they learned from the playoff experience.

My hunch is that the caliber of play will be better to start the season. This group should be highly motivated.

Hope you guys are right about our OC. If we get even a reasonable passing game, we will be in great shape.

onbison09
04-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Do the coaches have a lot more fire this spring? That's what it seems like

DjKyRo
04-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Do the coaches have a lot more fire this spring? That's what it seems like

No more than last season, IMO.