PDA

View Full Version : Vigen Interview from KFGO

The Lost Dutchman
04-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Good interview with the offensive coordinator last night with Scotty Miller on the Front Row on KFGO, http://kfgo.com/uploads/Vigen.mp3

SDbison
04-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Did Vigen take any classes or get any personal instruction on how to be an offensive coordinator or a QB coach during the off season? If not, I won't waste my time. This season is on Vigen. With all the talent at QB, WR, RB etc. the offense should run like a machine this year. No excuses.

bisonmike2
04-08-2011, 06:45 PM
He's really talking up Thorton. More I hear about him the more I'm excited to see what this kid can do.

MNLonghorn10
04-08-2011, 06:47 PM
He's really talking up Thorton. More I hear about him the more I'm excited to see what this kid can do.

http://www.lifeintherough.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/waiting.jpg

tcbison
04-08-2011, 06:55 PM
I hate it when a coach/coordinator uses the word hopefully. Hopefully we are better at this, hopefully we can play better etc. Hope is not a strategy...Either get it done for find someone else who will :ranting:

NDSU_grad
04-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Did Vigen take any classes or get any personal instruction on how to be an offensive coordinator or a QB coach during the off season? If not, I won't waste my time. This season is on Vigen. With all the talent at QB, WR, RB etc. the offense should run like a machine this year. No excuses.

I could buy that line of thought if we actually had talent at the WR and QB positions. We should be better than '10 but I still think we will be average to slightly above average in those departments in '11.

SDbison
04-08-2011, 08:21 PM
I could buy that line of thought if we actually had talent at the WR and QB positions. We should be better than '10 but I still think we will be average to slightly above average in those departments in '11.
The pathetic one dimensional game plan from last year is enough evidence for me. Sorry these kids are not leftover college football recruits at NDSU. Vigen is wasting talent due to his incompetence.

The Lost Dutchman
04-08-2011, 08:33 PM
The pathetic one dimensional game plan from last year is enough evidence for me. Sorry these kids are not leftover college football recruits at NDSU. Vigen is wasting talent due to his incompetence.

Are you always this negative? Jeez, you'd think NDSU won 3 games last season with how you sound.

SDbison
04-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Are you always this negative? Jeez, you'd think NDSU won 3 games last season with how you sound.
Yep, just expect a lot more from an NDSU football program that is in FCS yet has the support and facilities of a low to mid level FBS program.
And yes, I think Vigen is in way over his head. Some other poster commented on Vigens over use of the word "hopefully". That is of concern. NDSU is paying him not to hope, but instead to make it happen.

NDSUstudent
04-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I like SD have some doubts about Vigen, this is a huge year for him and if this team doesn't show some improvement towards being a complete offensive team he should be held responsible.

I'm tired of seeing the lack of improvement from our QBs and I've to be that impressed with his play calling abilities. With the talent this team has coming back there are no more excuses. It is time to make it happen.

The Lost Dutchman
04-08-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm tired of seeing the lack of improvement from our QBs and I've to be that impressed with his play calling abilities. With the talent this team has coming back there are no more excuses. It is time to make it happen.

Is it lack of improvement or lack of talent?

SDbison
04-08-2011, 09:24 PM
I like SD have some doubts about Vigen, this is a huge year for him and if this team doesn't show some improvement towards being a complete offensive team he should be held responsible.

Thanks for showing you are in agreement. It should be obvious to most, but somehow NDSU's football standards were lowered over the past 2 decades and many Bisonvillers believe 2006 and 2007 were just an anomaly.
NDSU just barely made the playoffs last year with success due to overall talent, desire, a great running game and good defense.
NDSU's record against other MVFC teams has been pathetic and this can't continue. No way the Bison do this well in the playoffs again without a better conference record and overall offensive production.

NDSUstudent
04-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Is it lack of improvement or lack of talent?

Well we did have a lack of players at QB for a while. But honestly no QB since Walker has improved and that is not acceptable. If our QBs don't improve this year I'll be posting like SD come December.

Honestly I don't think anyone can say we don't have talent now. Time to make it happen or find some new blood.

SDbison
04-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Well we did have a lack of players at QB for a while. But honestly no QB since Walker has improved and that is not acceptable. If our QBs don't improve this year I'll be posting like SD come December.

Honestly I don't think anyone can say we don't have talent now. Time to make it happen or find some new blood.
Amen.....Amen!

EndZoneQB
04-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I feel like Vigen is on the hot seat already. You have to think Bohl knows what is going on, and is watching very closely. I think he is tenuous to make a move because Vigen is an NDSU guy and just wants to make sure it IS him. If our offense is still terrible, he will be gone, I am confident. Go work some place else for 5 years, then I'll give you another shot.

And honestly, I'm not sure Walker improved all that much through his years...I think he was just Steve Walker the minute he stepped on campus. Didn't he call a bunch of plays himself?

Wally
04-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I feel like Vigen is on the hot seat already. You have to think Bohl knows what is going on, and is watching very closely. I think he is tenuous to make a move because Vigen is an NDSU guy and just wants to make sure it IS him. If our offense is still terrible, he will be gone, I am confident. Go work some place else for 5 years, then I'll give you another shot.

And honestly, I'm not sure Walker improved all that much through his years...I think he was just Steve Walker the minute he stepped on campus. Didn't he call a bunch of plays himself?

I agree completely. It is nut cutting time for central valley's finest. The team is only as strong as its weakest link so Im hoping he adds to the tecmo bowl playbook to strengthen our weakest link.

WYOBISONMAN
04-08-2011, 10:35 PM
I think Vigen was clueless when he became OC. I hope like hell he has learned on the job. For me......the jury is out. Last year did not in any way prove Vigen's worth to this Bison Fan.

CaBisonFan
04-09-2011, 12:12 AM
The offense sets up the defense. Consistency in moving the ball is essential in the MVFC. A few big plays are important too...but ball control is the game. Our solid defense depends on having an offensive coordinator that understands this...and understands how to do it. Most offensive coordinators can set up a big play. The great ones know how to dominate a game.

Until we have this...we won't be a consistent winner in the conference. I don't care who it is...but a Bison football team deserves the best...not a trainee.

CaBisonFan
04-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Steve Walker was his own coach...and he coached his teammates. He 'was' the offense.

Wally
04-09-2011, 12:57 AM
Scoring Offense: #7 in MVFC, #50 in FCS
Total Offense: #9 in MVFC (Rushing #8 & Passing #8 in MVFC), #78 in FCS
3rd Downs Conv: 25% (#9 in MVFC, #108 in FCS)
First Downs: #9 in MVFC, #99 in FCS
Red Zone Offense: #9 in MVFC, #102 in FCS
Time of Possession: #7 in MVFC, #77 in FCS

TO Margin; +15, #1 in MVC, #7 in FCS
Net Punting: #1 in MVFC, #2 in FCS

**117 teams in FCS**

Yes, stats are for losers and the ultimate stat is the scoreboard, but numbers can tell a pretty good story of a team. With a struggling offense, we were damn close to hosting Villanova. If we can make strides with the offense, it can be a banner year. We won games by winning the TO battle on defense, special teams and stopping teams when we needed to. Yes, the defense was porous at times, but it carried us.

westnodak93bison
04-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Steve Walker was his own coach...and he coached his teammates. He 'was' the offense.

I think we need to give Perles some credit.

CaBisonFan
04-09-2011, 01:43 AM
I think we need to give Perles some credit.

Yep...I would go along with that.

westnodak93bison
04-09-2011, 01:43 AM
I agree the "hopefully" word/attitude needs to go away yesterday. Good grief.
I would hope like hell that Bohl sat Vigen down and told him the offense must improve greatly. I also would hope the staff did the same with the QB, WR and TE.

BlueBisonRock
04-09-2011, 02:44 AM

**117 teams in FCS**

Yes, stats are for losers and the ultimate stat is the scoreboard, but numbers can tell a pretty good story of a team. With a struggling offense, we were damn close to hosting Villanova. If we can make strides with the offense, it can be a banner year. We won games by winning the TO battle on defense, special teams and stopping teams when we needed to. Yes, the defense was porous at times, but it carried us.

Stats can tell you a lot as you are showing. They can point to the strengths and the weaknesses of the team if one is willing to think through the information.

Last fall I kept a simple spread sheet which showed nothing more than the points scored and the points given up per game for MVFC games only. It did not pull out any pick six instances nor did it care where a drive started. It was simple.

And the chart showed what everyone was stating. As a team (including offensive miscues) the Bison gave up fewer points per game than any other MVFC team. And as a team (including defensive scores), the Bison scored fewer points per game than any other MVFC team. All it did was validate the observations of many of the BV faithful.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/rjehni/2011/NDSUMVFCScoringSummary.png

BisonNeil
04-09-2011, 03:32 PM

**117 teams in FCS**

The stats are very revealing if you take the time to really interpret them.

Any stat generated solely by the offense, such as third down conversions, red zone offense, etc., show just how pathetic the offense really was which was very near the bottom of FCS.

However, when you look at scoring offense NDSU was in the top half of the FCS, but let's not forget, our defense put up nearly as many TDs as the offense. Were it not for the defense the offense really would have been pathetic when you also consider the TO margin.

westnodak93bison
04-09-2011, 04:08 PM
According to Vigen, at this stage Esley has a better grasp of the offense than any other QB in the past, is the most athletic QB since the Veer days, is smart and accurate. I say pencil him in to starter now. Unless of course Vigen doesn't know what he is talking about. :hide:

BisonNeil
04-09-2011, 04:09 PM
According to Vigen, at this stage Esley has a better grasp of the offense than any other QB in the past, is the most athletic QB since the Veer days, is smart and accurate. I say pencil him in to starter now. Unless of course Vigen doesn't know what he is talking about. :hide:

I think there is no danger of that :D

ndsubison1
04-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Thorton will pass Mohler on the depth chart in the near future

BisoninNWMN
04-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Thorton will pass Mohler on the depth chart in the near future

I agree with this!!

SD is right...Vigen needs to make it happen for this offense this year. No excuses.

If we can establish a consistent passing game to compliment the running game.....this team has huge potential.

GO BISON

bisonfan11
04-14-2011, 04:34 PM
:facepalm: Seriously Vigen...hopefully is a word used to describe teams that have unexpected success and are hopeful the team will do better. That is the talk of losers. There are higher expectations this year and Vigen needs to be on board or get the hell out of here. What kind of a message does this send the Bison offense when Vigen says that "hopefully" the offense will improve from last year. I get the sense that the OC job is too much pressure for Vigen. Either he steps up this year or he should be canned, we HAVE the players to have a more successful offense we just need a game plan that will allow for those kind of results. This IS Vigen's make or break year, PERIOD!!!