PDA

View Full Version : Really good article about TV and Sports around here

rustywallace
04-03-2011, 04:47 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/314656/group/Sports/

In a nut shell, MIDCO sports net doesnt pay the schols anything where as KVLY was giving us a little bit of money. Also, UND makes nothing off the fighting sioux sports network and the FCS contract.

THEsocalledfan
04-03-2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/314656/group/Sports/

In a nut shell, MIDCO sports net doesnt pay the schols anything where as KVLY was giving us a little bit of money. Also, UND makes nothing off the fighting sioux sports network and the FCS contract.

All that article did was confirm my suspician that NDSU is completely inept in media coverage when compared to our friends to the North. Do you realize I can watch nearly every Sioux hockey game and nearly zero NDSU football games? The same for nearly everyone outside of ND and the very NorthWest side of MN.

I don't want to hear anymore excuses about FSN. Heck, I would be tickled if the games were even on FCS or anything else I, and other alumni, can actually get. And wouldn't it be neet if our prime recruiting base in MN actually could watch Bison games?

Can give me an update on NDSU actually creating a broadcast center like UND?

(By the way, if you are a UND, please make fun of NDSU about this as we deserve it.)

Here is a picture of current NDSU media coverage:

http://www.omgepic.com/pix/2011/01/20090727002827780196-0-epic-fail.jpg

PS I was in Scotsdale AZ a month ago, and my UND alumni uncle asked me if I wanted to watch the UND hockey game with him on TV. I nearly threw up....

Tatanka
04-03-2011, 06:05 PM
All that article did was confirm my suspician that NDSU is completely inept in media coverage when compared to our friends to the North. Do you realize I can watch nearly every Sioux hockey game and nearly zero NDSU football games? The same for nearly everyone outside of ND and the very NorthWest side of MN.

I don't want to hear anymore excuses about FSN. Heck, I would be tickled if the games were even on FCS or anything else I, and other alumni, can actually get. And wouldn't it be neet if our prime recruiting base in MN actually could watch Bison games?

(By the way, if you are a UND, please make fun of NDSU about this as we deserve it.)

PS I was in Scotsdale AZ a month ago, and my UND alumni uncle asked me if I wanted to watch the UND hockey game with him on TV. I nearly threw up....

I agree with TSCF here, except of course the picture post fail. :D

TbonZach
04-03-2011, 06:08 PM

Maybe that was his intent. Because, quite frankly, the NDSU media coverage does fail. ;)

Bisonguy
04-03-2011, 07:05 PM

I agree that it was a picture post fail. :judges:

Answer Guy
04-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Scottsdale makes you ill? :confused:

THEsocalledfan
04-04-2011, 02:26 PM

http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n539/gully301/?action=view&current=-epic-fail.jpg

Fixed it. Sorry about that.

Tatanka
04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Fixed it. Sorry about that.

So, you failed at posting an epic fail picture. Excellent.

:rofl:

stevdock
04-04-2011, 04:33 PM
So instead of complaining about what has been done, what is your solution to the problem??

FSN is tough for football. Always has been always will be. Because the dome is fairly full at least they are putting them on regional TV.

Basketball doesn't surprise me at all that they don't broadcast them because they don't come anywhere close to filling to BSA. If I have the option for basketball (especially the Thursday game) of staying home and watching it on TV or going to the game, more often than not I will stay at home due to family. Easy solution for basketball fill the BSA and then they will think about putting those on TV.

bisonmike2
04-04-2011, 05:04 PM

This. And the whole time I read that article I just kept thinking that Jorgenson is completely overwhelmed in his position. Nothing, but, "it would be nice, but stuff is hard". Well no shit it's hard, but it's your job and ever since you've been at NDSU we've had a D1 institution with NAIA media coverage.

Someone please interpret what he said here.
"“That is not to say exposure is bad, but when you look at the overall value of our property, we want some remuneration.”

Exactly how much money can KVLY be paying us? Get us exposure Jorgenson, because right now we don't have any.

NorthernBison
04-04-2011, 05:14 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/314705/group/Sports/

So, SDSU signed on with Learfield Sports and is getting paid $1.3 million per year for 10 years for exclusive rights.

NDSU and UND are keeping their marketing "in house".

NDSU is a bit wishy washy about the total but threw out a number of nearly a million.

UND, has got to be doing way better than us so I understand their decision.

What would exclusive rights to NDSU be worth to Learfield and is there a plan to get at least that out of our efforts? If our people can't get us there, then we need "new people".

rustywallace
04-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Thats a really good deal for SDSU. In talking with some people that have there business advertise during a ndsu football game its $400 per 30 second commerical and have to buy a minimum of 10 i believe. Has anyone else heard that figure thrown around?

Then for the fighting sioux network is 300 per 30 second commericial and you have to buy 14.

rustywallace
04-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Also i understand that is just 1.3 million without expenses. And taylor said we are getting close to a million. Is that before or after paying the marketing staff salarys? Sounds like leerfield may be the way to go to me.

Bison bison
04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
you can't compare a ten-year average with our current revenue today.

NorthernBison
04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Also i understand that is just 1.3 million without expenses. And taylor said we are getting close to a million. Is that before or after paying the marketing staff salarys? Sounds like leerfield may be the way to go to me.

I think the 1.3 to SDSU is clear. The "close to a million" is likely a gross number.

I have to think that NDSU would be worth more than SDSU. Bigger market, better product, etc. (That should draw bunny fans like flies).

I have no opinion if Learfield is a better option. I do think that Gene now has been given a much clearer target in terms of what to expect from his marketing department.

THEsocalledfan
04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
So instead of complaining about what has been done, what is your solution to the problem??

FSN is tough for football. Always has been always will be. Because the dome is fairly full at least they are putting them on regional TV.

Basketball doesn't surprise me at all that they don't broadcast them because they don't come anywhere close to filling to BSA. If I have the option for basketball (especially the Thursday game) of staying home and watching it on TV or going to the game, more often than not I will stay at home due to family. Easy solution for basketball fill the BSA and then they will think about putting those on TV.

Build a high definition studio on campus. Strike a long term deal with Fox to get every football game covered either on FCS or FSN. Big games to be on FSN (SDSU, UNI). Yes, this will mean changing game times to make it work. Yes, NDSU may have to pay for the time, but then they also get to sell the advertising.

As an FYI, I don't understand the numbers like many, but the above seems to be the UND secret to success.

Please note again, I could watch a UND hockey game while I was in AZ, but you can't see nearly any Bison regular season football games this year (except SDSU). What is wrong with this picture? Are we going to allow UND hockey to be bigger than NDSU football?

duluthbison
04-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Build a high definition studio on campus. Strike a long term deal with Fox to get every football game covered either on FCS or FSN. Big games to be on FSN (SDSU, UNI). Yes, this will mean changing game times to make it work. Yes, NDSU may have to pay for the time, but then they also get to sell the advertising.

As an FYI, I don't understand the numbers like many, but the above seems to be the UND secret to success.

Please note again, I could watch a UND hockey game while I was in AZ, but you can't see nearly any Bison regular season football games this year (except SDSU). What is wrong with this picture? Are we going to allow UND hockey to be bigger than NDSU football?

They should team up with our campus tv station, upgrade their equipment and hire some professional staff to work with the students so we can produce top notch, in house events.

TheBisonator
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM
It's weird, Gene and Jorgenson in the article were talking about wanting more money rather than just getting exposure. You know what, you two?? I really don't honestly think you're at the position at this point to be demanding more money for your product, especially when it comes to NDSU basketball. The amount of money you think you can make in a media deal is many times more than what reality will serve to you. I have advice for Gene and Troy and Jeremy: QUIT thinking about the potential money streams, QUIT making excuses as to why games can't be televised (ESPECIALLY Bison basketball) and just go for the EXPOSURE. If all you can get out of this is the exposure, then you know what?? FINE. I'm FINE with that. NDSU basketball is no better than UND hockey. And UND is making barely any, if no money at all from Fox College Sports regarding its hockey deal, so are they in it for the revenue stream, or simply the exposure?? It's the EXPOSURE. Hey, I like having a big ego when it comes to Bison sports, I think we rock. But when you start getting into that mindset when it comes to this situation and thinking you're better than everyone else and thinking you have way more to ofer than everyone else, than that's gonna set you back in reality.

The fans want EXPOSURE. Everyone here on BV wants EXPOSURE. Truth be told, we could be the flagship school for Midco Sports (if Midco was available in Fargo) and have most of our basketball and volleyball games televised. Do a deal for football with FCS similar to what UND hockey has. Then do a HUGE Midco deal for basketball/volleyball. Break up those two segments of agreements for media. Have a football contract and then have an everything else contract. What we have right now doesn't work, people. Alumni in Minneapolis can't even watch most football games on TV, we were lucky to have two regular season games on FCS this year. And nobody anywhere on Planet Earth can watch almost any basketball road game on TV. It's embarrassing.

NorthernBison
04-04-2011, 06:06 PM

What's even worse is that, on the correct Saturday, you could also have watched a basketball double-header when the Sioux men and women played HOUSTON FRICKEN BAPTIST. That's just SAD.

SDbison
04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Jorgenson = Vigen = FAIL
Both inexperienced and in over their head. Why does NDSU put up with this? Apparently their bosses fill positions with their best buddies and/or don't know any better.

bisonaudit
04-04-2011, 07:04 PM

I don't believe that the attendance issue is a valid arguement. At least in the medium term. Put them on TV and you build an audience which fills the BSA/Stanford Arena.

I can see wanting to get paid for your programing though. Sports are just about the only sure thing around for advertisers anymore. Everything else gets TIVOed and time shifted.

Bison bison
04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Jorgenson = Vigen = FAIL

I might not have mentioned this before, but I have most NDUS facilities bugged.

Within the past twenty minutes, Jorgenson yelled, "Some b#tch just equated me with Vigen!"

Vigen muttered, "Bleeping a@@hat said I'm the same as Jorgenson."

And in cyberspace, FAIL just started to cry.

NorthernBison
04-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Jorgenson = Vigen = FAIL
Both inexperienced and in over their head. Why does NDSU put up with this? Apparently their bosses fill positions with their best buddies and/or don't know any better.

I'm willing to give Jorgenson a bit more rope here.

How much authority does he really have? If everything has to go through Gene, then the results of the decisions made aren't totally on Jeremy.

Are we talking about exposure or money? Maybe both?

If it's money, we at least have a baseline to compare to. SDSU will essentially NET $13 million over the next 10 years from exclusive marketing rights. Right now NDSU is "close to a million" annually before subtracting costs.

Gene and his people better have a pretty good idea about what they expect to generate as we move forward. I think a minimum of $20 million over 10 years is a fair target. That's what Jeremy and the entire operation should be measured against. (actually just picked that number out of the air by adding 50% to the value of SDSU athletics)

BlueBisonRock
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM

How much authority does he really have? If everything has to go through Gene, then the results of the decisions made aren't totally on Jeremy.

Are we talking about exposure or money? Maybe both?

If it's money, we at least have a baseline to compare to. SDSU will essentially NET $13 million over the next 10 years from exclusive marketing rights. Right now NDSU is "close to a million" annually before subtracting costs.

Gene and his people better have a pretty good idea about what they expect to generate as we move forward. I think a minimum of $20 million over 10 years is a fair target. That's what Jeremy and the entire operation should be measured against. (actually just picked that number out of the air by adding 50% to the value of SDSU athletics

Looks to me like you will succeed beyond all expectations in your corporate management career!

All kidding aside, you hit the nail on the head. Understanding where the marketplace is going (rather than where it is at) coupled with setting aggressive targets makes all of the difference in this world. Getting Bison FB beyond the states borders and also making the away games available to the TV audience will only build a stronger product. BB may lag, but it has similar upside.

This is one of three key topics I would address with Gene if given the chance.

99Bison
04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Um, what is this "marketing revenue" term that is being referenced? That's an oxymoron. There is advertising revenue and there is marketing. Yea, I know it's supposed to marketing for the advertisers... However, I think sometimes NDSU is of the opinion that marketing doesn't exist in their own sense.

I do however, for once, agree with Bisonator whole heartedly about exposure being the name of the game at this time (the past 10 and next 10 years).

Answer Guy
04-04-2011, 09:21 PM

This makes sense...can someone tell me why Vigen doesn't get the same rope? People really think he does things that Bohl doesn't approve of?

Bison bison
04-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Um, what is this "marketing revenue" term that is being referenced? That's an oxymoron. There is advertising revenue and there is marketing. Yea, I know it's supposed to marketing for the advertisers... However, I think sometimes NDSU is of the opinion that marketing doesn't exist in their own sense.

I do however, for once, agree with Bisonator whole heartedly about exposure being the name of the game at this time (the past 10 and next 10 years).

If that were true than riddle me this?

AlphaGriz has been getting pictures of full exposure and he's still a Montana fan???

lakesbison
04-04-2011, 11:09 PM
something isnt right, NDSU needs to get on FSN, especially with gopher hockey leaving in 2 years and gopher football BOTH playing on BTN.

abc123
04-05-2011, 12:19 AM
It's weird, Gene and Jorgenson in the article were talking about wanting more money rather than just getting exposure. You know what, you two?? I really don't honestly think you're at the position at this point to be demanding more money for your product, especially when it comes to NDSU basketball. The amount of money you think you can make in a media deal is many times more than what reality will serve to you. I have advice for Gene and Troy and Jeremy: QUIT thinking about the potential money streams, QUIT making excuses as to why games can't be televised (ESPECIALLY Bison basketball) and just go for the EXPOSURE. If all you can get out of this is the exposure, then you know what?? FINE. I'm FINE with that. NDSU basketball is no better than UND hockey. And UND is making barely any, if no money at all from Fox College Sports regarding its hockey deal, so are they in it for the revenue stream, or simply the exposure?? It's the EXPOSURE. Hey, I like having a big ego when it comes to Bison sports, I think we rock. But when you start getting into that mindset when it comes to this situation and thinking you're better than everyone else and thinking you have way more to ofer than everyone else, than that's gonna set you back in reality.

First, while NDSU basketball got great exposure from its NCAA appearance, and rightfully so, to say that it is no better as a program than UND hockey is doing a severe disservice to UND's hockey program and its popularity. A one year run and the exposure that comes with it is a great boost for a program but being national contenders year in and year out, albeit in a much less popular sport nationally, is going to keep the interest of the fans.

The other semi-correction I have is that I believe that UND does not make money off of the Fighting Sioux Sports Network or its deal with Midco (if so, very minimal), but I believe that there is some revenue stream from its deal with Fox College Sports, though I can't find the link at this moment to verify that.

I do agree with your point on the trade-off for dollars versus exposure and UND is definitely doing that with its FSSN and Midco deals. UND was able to parlay hockey's popularity into getting some football and basketball games televised. No reason NDSU shouldn't be able to do the same with the popularity of their football team.

NDSUstudent
04-05-2011, 12:30 AM
I do think football and basketball should be split up. Football has a great deal with Valley News, lots of statewide coverage and it basically hits every house in ND and many in west central MN. Those are the areas of the highest concentration of Bison fans, it is very important to have our games widely available in these areas.

Putting football games on FCS and not having them on NBC ND would be an epic mistake. FSN is really the only other network for football since it is on basically every cable and satellite package, but with their commitments it isn't easy getting TV time for games.

For basketball I think FCS would make some sense. Even MidCon makes some sense since Fargo would basically be blacked out, which might reduce the impact on attendance.

THEsocalledfan
04-05-2011, 01:58 AM
I do think football and basketball should be split up. Football has a great deal with Valley News, lots of statewide coverage and it basically hits every house in ND and many in west central MN. Those are the areas of the highest concentration of Bison fans, it is very important to have our games widely available in these areas.

Putting football games on FCS and not having them on NBC ND would be an epic mistake. FSN is really the only other network for football since it is on basically every cable and satellite package, but with their commitments it isn't easy getting TV time for games.

For basketball I think FCS would make some sense. Even MidCon makes some sense since Fargo would basically be blacked out, which might reduce the impact on attendance.

Don't be so willing to go against the cable football option. Who knows, if it is on something less common like FCS, perhaps you can cut a deal to also put on statewide TV when not on FSN.

The Bison need exposure. ND does not have the recruits to support the program, and most alumni leave the state. Alumni exposure equals more dollars than the western ND bar patron who could give a f.....

NDSUstudent
04-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Don't be so willing to go against the cable football option. Who knows, if it is on something less common like FCS, perhaps you can cut a deal to also put on statewide TV when not on FSN.

The Bison need exposure. ND does not have the recruits to support the program, and most alumni leave the state. Alumni exposure equals more dollars than the western ND bar patron who could give a f.....

NBC plus FCS is the optimal situation but is it possible? Does UND put their FCS games on other networks, like WDAZ?

For football the games need to be widely available in the region, whether that is on FSN or a statewide network.

abc123
04-05-2011, 02:41 AM
NBC plus FCS is the optimal situation but is it possible? Does UND put their FCS games on other networks, like WDAZ?

For football the games need to be widely available in the region, whether that is on FSN or a statewide network.

Looking at the schedule from last year, 3 games were on Fox College Sports, Fighting Sioux Sports Network and Midco. There was another game that was on FSSN and Midco and then 2 more that were only on Midco. Total of 6 televised games.

The year before it looks like there were 3 games on both the Fighting Sioux Sports Network and Fox College Sports and then 1 game that was only on Midco.

So it looks like there must be some sort of agreement where it can be done locally and nationally.

aces1180
04-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Looking at the schedule from last year, 3 games were on Fox College Sports, Fighting Sioux Sports Network and Midco. There was another game that was on FSSN and Midco and then 2 more that were only on Midco. Total of 6 televised games.

The year before it looks like there were 3 games on both the Fighting Sioux Sports Network and Fox College Sports and then 1 game that was only on Midco.

So it looks like there must be some sort of agreement where it can be done locally and nationally.

They also had their Idaho game on Altitude.

bisonmike2
04-05-2011, 02:42 PM
They also had their Idaho game on Altitude.

That had to have done wonders for their recruiting. Kids from across the nation got to see them go toe to toe with Idaho.