PDA

View Full Version : Matt Veldman

HerdBot
04-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Anybody know anything about Matt Veldman? It seemed like after his sophomore season he was on track to be a pretty darn good player. He had 4 TDs and was involved in the offense.

Then last year he didn't win the starting spot and our starter didn't have a big year catching the ball either.

After the season I heard from someone they are trying to beef him up because he's skinny at 6' 7" and is prone to injuries. I notice he's only put on 1 pound. Is is frame just not the type to add muscle? Redshirt year he was 227. Freshman 244. Sophomore 252. Senior he's only listed at 253.

He's a guy we've been talking about for 4 years and suddenly he's a senior. I hope this is the year it all comes together. With 6'7" height and added muscle the guy has a chance at the getting NFL looks if he can finish on a high note.

How can we not find a good use for an athletic TE with 6' 7" height who can jump. He could be an unbelievable matchup in the redzone.

stevdock
04-02-2011, 03:40 PM
I don't think it's ever been for lack of ability for Veldman. Instead it's staying healthy enough to stay on the field.

On a side note, even though I doubt he would ever be considered a run blocker, his blocking has improved tremendously when he's out there.

HerdBot
04-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't think it's ever been for lack of ability for Veldman. Instead it's staying healthy enough to stay on the field.

On a side note, even though I doubt he would ever be considered a run blocker, his blocking has improved tremendously when he's out there.

I think his health goes with his frame. 6' 7" with a skinny frame playing a physical TE spot has injury written all over it. I dont think he can survive an entire season. Hopefully he can add some more muscle before the season starts.

If Vigen doesn't use this guy in the redzone I will be surprised.

stevdock
04-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I think his health goes with his frame. 6' 7" with a skinny frame playing a physical TE spot has injury written all over it. I dont think he can survive an entire season. Hopefully he can add some more muscle before the season starts.

If Vigen doesn't use this guy in the redzone I will be surprised.

Vigen almost always has used Veldman in the red zone, that is when he's been healthy enough to do it. While some of the crap through against Vigen is legit, this is one that is not. Veldman, when healthy, has almost always been on the field in the red zone.

Bison"FANatic"
04-02-2011, 04:17 PM
As much as I would like to see the kid succeed I don't see him having a break out senior year. I hope he proves me wrong and stays healthy and is a huge part of the offense. We need consistency at the TE position as it can be a huge usable option in our offense. When that running game gets going we should be able to torch teams with the TE.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Matt needs to "man up" and differentiate between hurts and injuries.

HerdBot
04-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Vigen almost always has used Veldman in the red zone, that is when he's been healthy enough to do it. While some of the crap through against Vigen is legit, this is one that is not. Veldman, when healthy, has almost always been on the field in the red zone.

Last year he had 4 catches and none in the redzone. The year before he was a threat in the redzone with 4 TDs.

HerdBot
04-02-2011, 04:58 PM
As much as I would like to see the kid succeed I don't see him having a break out senior year. I hope he proves me wrong and stays healthy and is a huge part of the offense. We need consistency at the TE position as it can be a huge usable option in our offense. When that running game gets going we should be able to torch teams with the TE.

I think he should be used exclusively as the redzone tight end. That way he doesn't get beat up between the 20s blocking which isn't his strength. The other guys are better at blocking. I don't think there is a linebacker on the planet who can cover him in the redzone or out jump him.

stevdock
04-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Last year he had 4 catches and none in the redzone. The year before he was a threat in the redzone with 4 TDs.

Ok thank you for your stats. Now tell me this, how many games did he actually play in compared to the year before?? Also when he did play at the end of this year he was still obviously hurt as he couldn't get any separation between himself and the defenders. Get the kid healthy and we'll see a difference in production.

BisonNeil
04-02-2011, 08:42 PM
I am always curious about how and where people get their information.

I know it seems that Veldman was always hurt last year, and perhaps he was, but according to the stats he played in more games last year than in any previous. He played in 10 games in 2010 (out of 14 of course) but did not start in any. He had 4 catches for 33 yards and despite someone saying he had no catches in the redzone the stats say he had 1 TD. Must have run back a punt or kick or had an interception for a TD I guess.

In 2009 Matt played in 7 games, starting four. He had 15 catches for 191 yds and 3 TDs

In 2008 he played in 9 games, starting two, and had four catches for 29 yds and 0 TDs.

So, while some of us remember Veldman as having a great freshman year, it would appear that statistically he had a more productive junior year although he did play in one more game.

I am very concerned about the TE position this next year. An effective WC offense needs to have the TE in the game offensively. Unless Veldman can stay healthy it could be thin. Bruhn is probably a good blocker but at 6'1" he doesn't excite me as an pass catching weapon. Hope I am wrong. I still don't think Vaadeland is fully healed and besides that he simply has not had the practice time to be a factor due to his injuries. Taylor Nelson is a big boy but I never hear anything about him from anybody so I really have no idea if he can contribute or not. I think the fact that Bruhn is permanently moved to TE probably says all we need to know about the real depth at this position.

HerdBot
04-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Ok thank you for your stats. Now tell me this, how many games did he actually play in compared to the year before?? Also when he did play at the end of this year he was still obviously hurt as he couldn't get any separation between himself and the defenders. Get the kid healthy and we'll see a difference in production.

I hope that was the problem.

X-Factor
04-02-2011, 10:15 PM
He had 4 catches for 33 yards and despite someone saying he had no catches in the redzone the stats say he had 1 TD. Must have run back a punt or kick or had an interception for a TD I guess.

Would it still be considered a catch in the redzone if the offense was outside of the 20 but he caught the ball in the endzone?

DjKyRo
04-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Veldman had a snag TD catch against Youngstown.

Thunder_Struck
04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I also think him and Holloway ran into each or almost ran into each other a few times in the endzone. The first time it happened I thought someone ran the wrong route. Then it happened again. Makes me think play design may have been the issue.

EndZoneQB
04-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Would it still be considered a catch in the redzone if the offense was outside of the 20 but he caught the ball in the endzone?

No. Redzone offense is inside the 20.

tony
04-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Matt was definitely gimpy this year. Get him healthy and he'll be just fine.

unbison
04-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Have talked to Matt at a couple basketball games very nice kid!

SUBISON247
04-03-2011, 12:04 AM
I have always wanted him to line up at WR in the redzone or even just as another WR option in a 3 to 4 wide set.

BisonNeil
04-03-2011, 03:30 PM

That is a good point, but what I failed to mention is that his longest catch went for 12 yds, obviously they were in the red zone.

VanClubPres
04-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I would love to see Veldman moved to wide receiver in red zone short yard opportunitys. Just a corner fade and let him jump for the ball.

I will be expecting all of your praise and admiration for being the first person to come up with that ever.

HerdBot
04-04-2011, 12:17 AM
I would love to see Veldman moved to wide receiver in red zone short yard opportunitys. Just a corner fade and let him jump for the ball.

I will be expecting all of your praise and admiration for being the first person to come up with that ever.

6' 7" against a slot corner.

EndZoneQB
04-04-2011, 12:23 AM

We saw this at one of the spring scrimmages. Looked like he was going to be a beast...and that was the last we saw it lol

bisonfan1589
04-04-2011, 04:10 AM
I dont know if he needs to "man up" he had surgery on both wrists and had bad turf toe. He can make plays and if Bohl would target him more he would do great things. I have known him since 6th grade he has always been a competitor and just needs to get targeted more in the redzone. Hopefully stays healthy but I know he is ready for a big year.

DjKyRo
04-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Veldman's a guy I'll be keeping a close eye on in practices in the next few weeks. Need that guy healthy.

344Johnson
04-04-2011, 12:58 PM

While you could be right, I think we both know that we don't know enough about it to tell him to man up. Remember when people were going after Cutler during that playoff game and then it turned out he had an injury that is considered legitimate.

However, I could be completely wrong and it could be a tolerance issue.

GradBison
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I have always wanted him to line up at WR in the redzone or even just as another WR option in a 3 to 4 wide set.

Do we even have a 4 wide out set?

:rimshot:

344Johnson
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Do we even have a 4 wide out set?

:rimshot:

......nah, we leave that to teams with crazy speed

bisonmike2
04-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I haven't read this thread but I do think Veldman is poised for a breakout year. My statement is void if he gets hurt, but what he'll have going for him is we are going to have some legit threats on the field at WR that should help the TE break free. If the WR's are as good as I think they are, and we get improved play from the QB are whole offense could explode this year. A couple of big if's, but the potential is there.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
While you could be right, I think we both know that we don't know enough about it to tell him to man up. Remember when people were going after Cutler during that playoff game and then it turned out he had an injury that is considered legitimate.

However, I could be completely wrong and it could be a tolerance issue.

I am right................

steelbison
04-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Pathetic....and you call yourself a fan..:(

EndZoneQB
04-04-2011, 05:32 PM

It's nothing a coach hasn't said to him.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
04-04-2011, 06:29 PM

A true fan calls it like it is........Veldman is a man-child with tremendous physical gifts. The Bison need him on the field, need to know he will be there when we are in our Red Zone Offense. Anyone close to the program will say the same.

lakesbison
04-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Vigen doesnt know what a TE seam pass is, didnt see it at all last year.

SlickVic
04-05-2011, 12:00 AM
If there truly is a coach player or any person "close to the program" complaining about a players injuries or health to a peon such as wacker or anyone else then the "programs" got bigger problems than veldman "manning up"...its the definition of proposterous whoever made that statement should be given an automatic qualifyer straight to the title

steelbison
04-05-2011, 12:51 AM
If there truly is a coach player or any person "close to the program" complaining about a players injuries or health to a peon such as wacker or anyone else then the "programs" got bigger problems than veldman "manning up"...its the definition of proposterous whoever made that statement should be given an automatic qualifyer straight to the title

This! Really Wacker and end zone. Why don't you say that to his face instead of on a message board. I know why you won't. Because your cowards.

X-Factor
04-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Why don't we just give each of our players a safety sucker like the ones you get from the bank for you kid and a thank-you note saying "your perfect the way you are, Love Bisonville".

True Story:
Most of these grown men are getting full ride scholarships to play football at NDSU, and some of those scholarships are being payed for by members on this board. You know who you are. I don't think we can just slam the door shut every time someone posts a comment with some slight constructive criticism embedded in it.

lakesbison
04-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Matt Veldman doesnt deserve that crap, vigen yes, he's a coach, he's a man, Veldman no. Kid has played through injuries, he's NEVER a focal point on offense, yet he is a freakin CAPTAIN this year. you watch, he'll get voted captain......... cmon guys.. even I aint that ruthless

Gully
04-05-2011, 01:13 AM
If the WR's are as good as I think they are, and we get improved play from the QB are whole offense could explode this year. A couple of big if's, but the potential is there.

This. This is what I'm hoping for as well. If we can convert better in the passing game that will really open things up. We all know how good DJ is in the open field. If we can stretch the field, that will just give him more room to run.

344Johnson
04-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Matt Veldman doesnt deserve that crap, vigen yes, he's a coach, he's a man, Veldman no. Kid has played through injuries, he's NEVER a focal point on offense, yet he is a freakin CAPTAIN this year. you watch, he'll get voted captain......... cmon guys.. even I aint that ruthless

Wait, so he is a captain or not? A tad confused. Either way, Lakes......has made a point. No reason to go after a college kid at a school like NDSU. The great thing about college kids is they usually love to play. They are not getting paid(well tuition and such i suppose) and came to school to get an education and play some football.

Take it easy on him. Please and thank you.

TransAmBison
04-05-2011, 02:54 AM
This! Really Wacker and end zone. Why don't you say that to his face instead of on a message board. I know why you won't. Because your cowards.
Who said they wouldn't say it to his face? I don't see eye to eye with Wacker on plenty of things, but a coward he is not. Endzone might be a piece of crap, but that's another story. :D

steelbison
04-05-2011, 03:12 AM
A true fan calls it like it is........Veldman is a man-child with tremendous physical gifts. The Bison need him on the field, need to know he will be there when we are in our Red Zone Offense. Anyone close to the program will say the same.

I agree...big difference from saying he should man up and when you say that your questioning if he was really injured.

And when you "call it like it is" you know his injury and his tolerance for pain.

Impossible for you to know since everyone is different in that regard.

Also just wondering if you question everyone's toughness when they are hurt.

Or just Veldman..

steelbison
04-05-2011, 03:13 AM
Who said they wouldn't say it to his face? I don't see eye to eye with Wacker on plenty of things, but a coward he is not. Endzone might be a piece of crap, but that's another story. :D

Sorry, but in my eyes questioning a guys toughness on a mesage board is a coward..but that's just me..

SlickVic
04-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Just to clarify you fools can say whatever you want obviously its a message board but to insinuate that there are people close to the program questioning the kid and speaking about that sort of stuff to peons outside the program I don't like that at all that kinda stuff needs to stay in house in my not so humble opinion not a personal attack on wacker or anything although it is his fault whoever he heard this from player coach physician ect shame on them

EndZoneQB
04-05-2011, 04:02 AM
Yeah, hold up here. I wasn't questioning his ability to differentiate between injuries and boo-boo's. I was merely stating that a kid has likely heard that speech from his coaches at some point. Not directly, but the general thing towards the whole team.

steelbison
04-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Yeah, hold up here. I wasn't questioning his ability to differentiate between injuries and boo-boo's. I was merely stating that a kid has likely heard speech from his coaches at some point.

likely...I thought you were in the know with this situation.

so what speech did he hear? I'm kind of curious? So now your not questioning his toughness?

Help me out here...

AjaxTheMighty
04-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Interesting...someone (from behind a keyboard) calls someone else a coward for questioning someone's toughness. Hmmm, *sniff* *sniff* smells like teen spirit, nope...I think it's...yup, hypocrisy. With a slight odor of irony mixed in.

DjKyRo
04-05-2011, 04:23 AM
FWIW Veldman looked good at practice today.

EndZoneQB
04-05-2011, 04:28 AM
likely...I thought you were in the know with this situation.

so what speech did he hear? I'm kind of curious? So now your not questioning his toughness?

Help me out here...

I have no idea what you are asking me here. At no point did I question his toughness...I said one line, and you can't even read into it, Slick knew I wasn't ragging on anyone. I know my HS coaches would tell us all the time to be smart about injuries and boo-boos. Boo-boo's happen, it's a contact sport, but it's not a reason to sit out of practice, etc. Injuries, are a different animal. All I was saying. I wasn't trying to judge Veldman on any of his injuries. I also wasn't trying to suggest a coach singled him out at some point about this...

Comprende?

ndsubison1
04-05-2011, 04:31 AM
I am right................

i agree with you.

tcbison
04-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I am going to come out and say that Veldman sucks. Then either he will have a breakout year or they will find someone to replace him. So far he has been a disappointment but that can all change. I remember the pass he caught against Iowa State and thought it was the start of something great. I completely hope that I am wrong on this. I'll admit I wasn't big on DJ McNorton last year because his stats before last year were poor but he had a breakout year. Please Matt prove me wrong! I don't mind eating crow.

Bison Dan
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I am going to come out and say that Veldman sucks. Then either he will have a breakout year or they will find someone to replace him. So far he has been a disappointment but that can all change. I remember the pass he caught against Iowa State and thought it was the start of something great. I completely hope that I am wrong on this. I'll admit I wasn't big on DJ McNorton last year because his stats before last year were poor but he had a breakout year. Please Matt prove me wrong! I don't mind eating crow.

To say that Matt has had a less than steller career so far is true, but we haven't exactly had a qb that could utilize him too.

Notorious
04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
This is not directed at Veldman (don't know anything about him); however, I think we can all agree that there are varying levels of mental toughness accross all members of the team. The mentally tough survive/thrive, and the others...well....don't. So, Wacker and Steel are not as far apart as they may think...maybe just a matter of how it was written???

It is nearly impossible, from the outside looking in, to determine that about Veldman. The coaches, players, managers, trainers, etc. probably have a damn good idea who would fall into the category of having to "man-up", but despite being the smartest person on this board, I am not privvy to this information......or, am I?

I say he has a good season...we havn't exactly had a stable offense the past three years...

Notorious
***Now available with Added Awesomeness***

TransAmBison
04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
This is not directed at Veldman (don't know anything about him); however, I think we can all agree that there are varying levels of mental toughness accross all members of the team. The mentally tough survive/thrive, and the others...well....don't. So, Wacker and Steel are not as far apart as they may think...maybe just a matter of how it was written???

It is nearly impossible, from the outside looking in, to determine that about Veldman. The coaches, players, managers, trainers, etc. probably have a damn good idea who would fall into the category of having to "man-up", but despite being the smartest person on this board, I am not privvy to this information......or, am I?

I say he has a good season...we havn't exactly had a stable offense the past three years...

Notorious
***Now available with Added Awesomeness***
Did you gain weight?

Tatanka
04-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Did you gain weight?

I'm guessing he now has fleas.

TransAmBison
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
How many fleas does it take to carry excellence?

Tatanka
04-05-2011, 03:46 PM
How many fleas does it take to carry excellence?

Are you suggesting excellence is migratory?

Notorious
04-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Funny...I did, however, go to Mexico for spring break and brought back a fair share of crabs.

TransAmBison
04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Are you suggesting excellence is migratory?
Not at all, but it could be carried. Since there is no excellence about Notorious, it must have been carried by a different entity.

Tatanka
04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Funny...I did, however, go to Mexico for spring break and brought back a fair share of crabs.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the discovery channel isn't going to be filming a reality TV show to chronicle the annual catch in this particular case.

TransAmBison
04-05-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm going to hazard a guess that the discovery channel isn't going to be filming a reality TV show to chronicle the annual catch in this particular case.
If only Cap'n Phil was around to track the fart bubbles...

lakesbison
04-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I Piss Excellence!

TransAmBison
04-05-2011, 04:32 PM
I Piss Excellence!
Did you piss on Notorious?

lakesbison
04-05-2011, 04:37 PM
R Kelly Did!