PDA

View Full Version : Bison Baseball: Just like all spring sports, Bison struggle to play games

Bison05
04-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Bison Baseball: Just like spring sports, Bison struggle to play games

Bison Illustrated article

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=603

Preview: "At this very moment spring sports on the campus of North Dakota State University can be summarized with one word – postponed.

As those in the Red River Valley prepare to fight this year’s flood it has left difficult playing conditions around Fargo and difficulties for the baseball, softball, track and field and golf teams to find ways to compete close to home."

TheBisonator
04-02-2011, 05:28 AM
I think NCAA baseball should be a true summer sport. Have games start around the time Opening Day in the majors are happening, and have the season last till like the 4th of July. Then play the playoffs until the end of July. I personally think it's kind of dumb seeing NCAA baseball teams start regular season schedules two to three weeks before spring training in the majors. Classes are over with weeks before the end of the regular season, so no one can use reasons for classes as to why it can't happen. It's the laziest time of the year anyway, so why not take advantage of the whole summer?? NCAA Football and basketball don't start regular seasons two months before the seasons of their pro counterparts (although the NFL is pretty stupid to be starting the regular season in mid-September), so what reason is there to be coinciding as much of the baseball season with the school year?? Schools like NDSU could take a week off the early nonconference schedule in late-April early-May to study, then the Summit could begin play towards the end of May. I just see the current state of how NCAA baseball is run, and how it is such a disadvantage towards the northern schools.

mitchellrabbit
04-02-2011, 10:44 PM
I think NCAA baseball should be a true summer sport. Have games start around the time Opening Day in the majors are happening, and have the season last till like the 4th of July. Then play the playoffs until the end of July. I personally think it's kind of dumb seeing NCAA baseball teams start regular season schedules two to three weeks before spring training in the majors. Classes are over with weeks before the end of the regular season, so no one can use reasons for classes as to why it can't happen. It's the laziest time of the year anyway, so why not take advantage of the whole summer?? NCAA Football and basketball don't start regular seasons two months before the seasons of their pro counterparts (although the NFL is pretty stupid to be starting the regular season in mid-September), so what reason is there to be coinciding as much of the baseball season with the school year?? Schools like NDSU could take a week off the early nonconference schedule in late-April early-May to study, then the Summit could begin play towards the end of May. I just see the current state of how NCAA baseball is run, and how it is such a disadvantage towards the northern schools.

I doubt the ncaa is going to change things because spring weather sucks in North and South Dakota. I read somewhere that someone thought the college basketball season should start in January and have the tourney in May and call it Mayhem instead of march madness. Maybe then the baseball season could start at the end of May and run through July.
Wont happen but sure would be nice for us up here.

bisonpride
04-04-2011, 03:37 PM
John Anderson at Minnesota was a huge proponent of this. It got severely trounced by the southern schools. They dont want to play in 100 degree heat down there and dont want to lose the summers so players can play in collegiate wood bat leagues.

The current start date is a compromise of that. It used to start Feb 1 and now is closer to March 1.