PDA

View Full Version : Very good BCS article

cbline
03-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Another excellent article by Sports Illustrated on the BCS fiasco and the money involved. Mentions the Cowboys' Jerry Jones' possible involvement in the BCS. Good God, talk about the fox guarding the hen house!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/03/30/fiesta-bowl-junker/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

bisonmike2
03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Another excellent article by Sports Illustrated on the BCS fiasco and the money involved. Mentions the Cowboys' Jerry Jones' possible involvement in the BCS. Good God, talk about the fox guarding the hen house!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/03/30/fiesta-bowl-junker/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

thanks for this. great article, too bad it won't lead to anything. :(

westnodak93bison
03-31-2011, 01:20 AM
What a joke. I really think a December/early January madness could rival the BB tourney. I'd love to see Boise, TCU, Utah etc have a chance to knock off some of the big programs.

tjbison
03-31-2011, 01:37 AM
What a joke. I really think a December/early January madness could rival the BB tourney. I'd love to see Boise, TCU, Utah etc have a chance to knock off some of the big programs.

not only them there would be some other shockers, and a December madness would blow the BBall out PERIOD

CaBisonFan
03-31-2011, 03:10 AM

When I was bringing high school marching bands to these events, it became very apparent that money ran the parades also. Those New Years parades had some great bands in them (especially the Rose Bowl), but getting in wasn't as simple as being good. It eventually ruined my attitude toward going. This was the Brookings High School Band back in the day. We did the Fiesta Bowl Parade and the Orange Bowl Parade. Unbeknownst to me at the time, a person in the community paid the network to have a specific kid featured. Sad

And compared to the football part of the equation...the bands were small potatoes. I remember a mediocre Notre Dame team that played in the Orange Bowl simply because of their star power. Nothing against Notre Dame...I'm sure that they would have admitted that a 3 or 4 loss season didn't justify a spot in the Orange Bowl at the time. Florida State, their opponent, really didn't belong there either. There were many teams with better records than these two. It was a mediocre Notre Dame team against a Florida State team that didn't have an offense. (yawn)

The bowls are a corrupt and nasty business. It's time for a playoff system.

Twentysix
03-31-2011, 03:19 AM
Bong>bowls anyway....unless your on the go.

mebisonII
03-31-2011, 03:22 PM
I wonder how long the deal with purchasing a minimum number of seats can last? Seems like that's the big thing that makes the difference in whether a school can break even or not on these games. 3 potential ways to change it:

1) School presidents, along with or at the demand of state legislatures start turning down bowls if they are required to purchase an obscene # of tickets.

2) Bowl selections are reworked to take location into account, so teams (especially in lower bowls) play closer to their fanbase, and play schools they may actually care about.

3) Conferences rework their agreements, so that schools can subtract out the cost of unmet ticket requirements before paying into the conference.

I'd say #2 would be the most likely of those.

SamsRams
03-31-2011, 10:51 PM
and this article has wut to do with Bison football?

CAS4127
04-01-2011, 02:36 AM
and this article has wut to do with Bison football?

See Bohl interview thread about NE players getting paid. This shit all coincides at some point--kinda like the BV rule of 7.?:confused:

SamsRams
04-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I dont log onto the football thread to find things that coincides, I log on to read about Bison football. I could care less wut they do at the FCS level.

mnriverbison
04-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I dont log onto the football thread to find things that coincides, I log on to read about Bison football. I could care less wut they do at the FCS level.

Bison football is FCS football.