PDA

View Full Version : Iupui

Mr. Burgundy
03-21-2011, 02:32 AM
Ron Hunter to Georgia State. Look for the asst to take the job and Alex Young to stay in school.

ndsubison1
03-21-2011, 02:39 AM
Hunter's a good coach, will miss his antics and controversies in the summit

ndsubison1
03-21-2011, 02:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6241679&campaign=rss&source=ESPNUHeadlines

HandoEX
03-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Ron Hunter acts like a clown and I am glad he is gone.

SlickVic
03-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Ron Hunter to Georgia State. Look for that program to be under ncaa investigation in the near future

Fixed it for you fool lol nothing but good news for summit league basketball this buds for you ron ron (hunter) ++++++++++

lakesbison
03-21-2011, 03:53 AM
Yep, he's jumping ship on something. You just dont leave Alex.young and a shot at ncaas in summit next year !!!

Georgia st = Fail

ndsubison1
03-21-2011, 03:54 AM
CAA is a solid conference and I'm sure it's much better pay

ndsubison1
03-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Yep, he's jumping ship on something. You just dont leave Alex.young and a shot at ncaas in summit next year !!!

Georgia st = Fail

You could have said the same thing about Colorado St.

SlickVic
03-21-2011, 03:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6241679&campaign=rss&source=ESPNUHeadlines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&gl=US&client=mv-google&hl=en&v=p9y4iXAso4I&nomobile=1

lakesbison
03-21-2011, 03:57 AM
Csu > Ga.st. Cmon Man. Mwc!!

Slick. Weezy, we movin to georgia!!

SlickVic
03-21-2011, 04:13 AM
You could have said the same thing about Colorado St.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/JoePa324/Mobile%20Uploads/srsly.jpg

Exhibit a = there's no way hot rods getting anywhere near 400k per year to coach college basketball

Exhibit b = I'm not sure what conference georgia state even plays in but there is NO CHANCE (copyright ronald burgandy) they are in a conference that has their own televison network

DjKyRo
03-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Personally I couldn't be more jazzed. Hunter was a Class A Clown and brought way too much drama to Fargo two years ago, and his whole clapping-during-opposing-free-throw-shooting routine was just classless. Yeah, he built IUPUI up pretty well but we've enough good coaches in the Summit (Fife, Kampe, Sutton) to go around. Good luck, but good riddance.

ndsubison1
03-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Like him or not, losing Hunter is a huge blow to the Summit League. He built a pretty solid program at IUPUI with limited resources and a terrible arena, in a state that has 9 other Division 1 programs. Having IUPUI as a stable contender year in and year out is only a good thing for the Summit League. I wonder who they will hire now and it will interesting to see if they move to the middle of the pack of the conference. I actually am pretty bummed to see him go, he brought some spunk to the conference. He should be able to recruit well in Georgia and build up that program in a solid mid-major conference.

NDSUstudent
03-21-2011, 06:11 AM
It is a big loss for IUPUI and the Summit, it won't be easy to find another coach that can win with consistency at the school. That said I won't miss his sideline sideshow act one bit.

Twentysix
03-21-2011, 06:24 AM
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc53/JoePa324/Mobile%20Uploads/srsly.jpg

Exhibit a = there's no way hot rods getting anywhere near 400k per year to coach college basketball

Exhibit b = I'm not sure what conference georgia state even plays in but there is NO CHANCE (copyright ronald burgandy) they are in a conference that has their own televison network

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1305894

They sure do play alot of televised games though.

SlickVic
03-21-2011, 06:59 AM
http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1305894

They sure do play alot of televised games though.

Thanks for the link didn't realize george mason odu and vcu were all members of that league just goes to show how visable that conference is...over under under on how many years rods career in georgia lasts? He has absultley NO CHANCE to compete for anything meaningful in that conference...makes you wonder wft why would he leave indy? Can't be for the pay day

SlickVic
03-21-2011, 07:09 AM
The coach that got canned was getting paid 200k per maybe hot rod doubled down but what's the real price if he's not in a position to be succesful? Zero...bankrupt baby

DjKyRo
03-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the link didn't realize george mason odu and vcu were all members of that league just goes to show how visable that conference is...over under under on how many years rods career in georgia lasts? He has absultley NO CHANCE to compete for anything meaningful in that conference...makes you wonder wft why would he leave indy? Can't be for the pay day

Agree and disagree. GSU is laden with upperclassmen right now (8:5 upper:underclassmen for next year thus far) which might help next year but he's going to have to recruit hard if he doesn't want to get washed away in a conference that had six, yes, six teams get to 20 wins this season. That said, I think he can get it done - he stole a few prize guys from the rest of the competition in Indiana alone (I think ming hit it when he mentioned 9 other programs competing in the area) and he'll take that pipeline with him as he's building a new one in Atlanta. Maybe the whole "inner city" feel he had at IUPUI will appeal to some guys in the Atlanta area? Just throwing stuff out at this point.

The funniest bit is that he's replacing a guy who was just like him attitude-wise. Crazy antics, constantly outside the coach's box, would yell during opposing free throws, etc. My buddy at George Mason said he saw him get three technicals this year, so at least for Georgia State's players that might bring a bit of familiarity.

Regardless, Hunter's got a tall task in front of him but if nothing else he's shown he's a competent coach (if a bit of a d-bag) so I have to think he's got a shot at making something happen.

unbison
03-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Well I say congratulations Ron hunter !

Tatanka
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
just want to point out that slick is on FIRE. posting a SRSLY dog, calling out that fool nagy, wow. en FUEGO. made me laugh this morning

carry on.

Hoopsdude18
03-21-2011, 01:43 PM
I agree with some other posters that the League is taking a hit with the loss of Hunter. He was the right fit for IUPUI. That school is an hour from IU, an hour from Purdue, and in the same city as Butler - yet he had the big personality necessary to at least give IUPUI a chance when it came to being noticed. He was a winner too and made IUPUI relevant in The Summit League as well. You knew every year that the Jags would be a top-three team.

The CAA is definitely a jump up for him, and he has proven he can build a program. I think he'll be contending within 3 to 4 years. Hopefully whoever replaces him will have that necessary mix of personality and coaching skills to make IUPUI relevant in Indy and the conference.

Herd80
03-21-2011, 01:47 PM
just want to point out that slick is on FIRE. posting a SRSLY dog, calling out that fool nagy, wow. en FUEGO. made me laugh this morning

carry on.

No kidding. I read post #11 and immediately thought that Slick has hired a ghost writer. Exhibit A & B? ThisisnotthesameguywhousuallywritesSlick'sposts.

IndyBison
03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
IndyStar Article (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110320/SPORTS0607/110320009/Ron-Hunter-leaving-IUPUI-head-coaching-job-Georgia-St-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s)

Sounds like money was definitely part of it. It sounds like a similar type of school - inner city metropolitan. It's also the school where Bill Curry started the football program last year so they are more likely to invest dollars into the program. It sounds like the guy Hunter suggested as his replacement was reponsible for a lot of the recruiting. IUPUI is definitely a school where recruiting is probably more important than coaching. They have a lot of great programs and the location is awesome but you will not have the same college experience you would have at other schools.

bisonfan08
03-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Georgia St is definitely a bump up to a more recognizable conference and no doubt the money will be a little better. I'm sure the facilities are nicer and you never know what other things could have tied into this (family, need for a change, etc). There's no doubt Ron Hunter is a great recruiter and a good coach, that being said his class was never top notch IMHO and I won't miss him.

DjKyRo
03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Just had a great talk with Greg Kampe on a WXOU guest-call-in, he confirmed that Hunter would be making "about triple" what he does at IUPUI...gave a figure roughly around $400k.

bisonfan08
03-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Just had a great talk with Greg Kampe on a WXOU guest-call-in, he confirmed that Hunter would be making "about triple" what he does at IUPUI...gave a figure roughly around $400k.

Well can't blame him for that one, that's a lot of coin.

DjKyRo
03-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Well can't blame him for that one, that's a lot of coin.

Truth. Kampe did say only one coach in the Summit makes anything near that and it isn't him. If they podcast it I'll post it up here, Kampe had some really good stuff I think some around here would dig hearing. Man, they really do run a good program over at WXOU. :blush:

Hoopsdude18
03-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Truth. Kampe did say only one coach in the Summit makes anything near that and it isn't him. If they podcast it I'll post it up here, Kampe had some really good stuff I think some around here would dig hearing. Man, they really do run a good program over at WXOU. :blush:

Pocket is saying the CD might not have recorded it. Any highlights worth mentioning? What did he have to say about Hunter moving on?

I'm guessing the guy who makes a lot more than that is Scott Sutton.

NDSUstudent
03-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah I believe Sutton makes $300k+ which is well above anyone else in the league.

DjKyRo
03-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Pocket is saying the CD might not have recorded it. Any highlights worth mentioning? What did he have to say about Hunter moving on?

I'm guessing the guy who makes a lot more than that is Scott Sutton.

Not much beyond Kampe feels we could legitimately be in the 12-15 conference RPI "soon." Feels Summit doesn't get enough respect as evidenced by the 13 seed compared to VCU's 11.

IndyBison
03-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Not much beyond Kampe feels we could legitimately be in the 12-15 conference RPI "soon." Feels Summit doesn't get enough respect as evidenced by the 13 seed compared to VCU's 11.

CAA has won a few tournament games (including a crazy Final Four appearance). When was the last time the Summit had a tournament win? There are good teams in the Summit and I think it has a lot of potential with a few teams but it's not at the level of the CAA yet. It could definitely get there though.

DjKyRo
03-22-2011, 04:34 AM
CAA has won a few tournament games (including a crazy Final Four appearance). When was the last time the Summit had a tournament win? There are good teams in the Summit and I think it has a lot of potential with a few teams but it's not at the level of the CAA yet. It could definitely get there though.

Definitely agree with where you're going. Just parroting what I heard from Kampe.

Also, the podcast of the show is up, yours truly is on towards the end. http://podcasts.wxou.org/

HoopsBison
03-22-2011, 06:06 AM
Definitely agree with where you're going. Just parroting what I heard from Kampe.

Also, the podcast of the show is up, yours truly is on towards the end. http://podcasts.wxou.org/

Really good radio show...props to Kampe for doing it. Wish we could get Saul in studio like that!

lakesbison
03-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Well, who has the radio rights for NDSU?? hmmmm

DjKyRo
03-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Really good radio show...props to Kampe for doing it. Wish we could get Saul in studio like that!

Let's say this isn't as far off as one might think.

rutlandbison
03-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Well, who has the radio rights for NDSU?? hmmmm
Thanks Kyro

DjKyRo
03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
What does that have to do with anything? Radio will get the Summit better RPI? hmmmmmmm

He's talking regarding Saul on-air somewhere.