PDA

View Full Version : UNO Cancelling Football

BisoninHuskerland
03-15-2011, 04:39 AM
I know some of the players from Nebraska Omaha teams that were contacted by NDSU to see if they were interested in possibly coming up to Fargo. May be a chance to strengthen our roster. I think most would have to come without a scholarship. I feel bad for the players because of the timing of the decision since scholarship can't be given to a lot of players especially the seniors on the team. I know some were contacted last year but decided to stay closer to home. Another great reason to develop a strong athletic program surrounding a great football organization. All sports revolve and are sussessful around football because of revenue. UNO athletic program has diminished with the problems with the AD and other issues internally. The football attendance is down tremendously leading to a 1.3 million deficit.

lakesbison
03-15-2011, 05:05 AM
None would start for us, let them goto Sdsu,usd...they need the help

THEsocalledfan
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I felt the shutting down of the UNO football program was a very sad day. Coach Burns had turned them into a very respectable program, despite very little interest due to a much more visible program. I'd always hoped they would make the jump up with NDSU, but after I looked at the numbers, not sure what they were supposed to do other than consider non-scholarship football. (And if they did that, it would be about the same as shutting the program down....)

tony
03-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I know some of the players from Nebraska Omaha teams that were contacted by NDSU to see if they were interested in possibly coming up to Fargo.

UN-O usually has some excellent offensive linemen. Tough deal for the UN-O football program and their players.

Kind of tough to transfer up a division because they'd have to sit out a year. Maybe this year's signing class would be allowed to go elsewhere without sitting out.

Dabison
03-15-2011, 01:41 PM
This should also make recruiting in Nebraska a little bit easier now. Especially since they wouldn't have another DI football program in the state. Not saying that we'd get out recruited by UNO.

Notorious
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
UN-O usually has some excellent offensive linemen. Tough deal for the UN-O football program and their players.

Kind of tough to transfer up a division because they'd have to sit out a year. Maybe this year's signing class would be allowed to go elsewhere without sitting out.

I wonder if, due to the circumstances, players would be allowed to tranfer freely??...also, I agree with you...there are always some very good players at UNO...I would guess a handful could contribute.

BisonNeil
03-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Wasn't UNO looking at moving all of their programs to DI just a couple of years ago?

I wonder how much of this is due to the financial drain of having DI hockey? At the very least, I guess they still have hockey :)

NorthernBison
03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
I wonder if, due to the circumstances, players would be allowed to tranfer freely??...also, I agree with you...there are always some very good players at UNO...I would guess a handful could contribute.

Typically. when a program is eliminated, the NCAA allows instant eligibility. The players aren't transferring from one existing program to another. The old program is gone.

tony
03-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Typically. when a program is eliminated, the NCAA allows instant eligibility. The players aren't transferring from one existing program to another. The old program is gone.

That makes sense to me. Too bad UN-O didn't make this announcement before the spring semester started.

The_Sicatoka
03-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I wonder how much of this is due to the financial drain of having DI hockey? At the very least, I guess they still have hockey :)

Actually, football and wrestling are the drain at UNO. After these changes, UNO Hockey will be the revenue-positive program to run the whole UNO Athletic department.

THEsocalledfan
03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Actually, football and wrestling are the drain at UNO. After these changes, UNO Hockey will be the revenue-positive program to run the whole UNO Athletic department.

As much as it pains me to say, this makes sense. Why follow their football when you have Big Red right next door? On the other hand, Big Red does not have hockey which gives them an excellent niche.

Further, they fit in well as a Division 1 hockey school since they do not belong to a major conference, and a nor do they field a football or basketball team that can compete with anyone. A lot like UND.

rutlandbison
03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I know some of the players from Nebraska Omaha teams that were contacted by NDSU to see if they were interested in possibly coming up to Fargo. May be a chance to strengthen our roster. I think most would have to come without a scholarship. I feel bad for the players because of the timing of the decision since scholarship can't be given to a lot of players especially the seniors on the team. I know some were contacted last year but decided to stay closer to home. Another great reason to develop a strong athletic program surrounding a great football organization. All sports revolve and are sussessful around football because of revenue. UNO athletic program has diminished with the problems with the AD and other issues internally. The football attendance is down tremendously leading to a 1.3 million deficit.
THe athletic scholarships they recieve will continue until they graduate.

HerdBot
03-15-2011, 03:43 PM
THe athletic scholarships they recieve will continue until they graduate.

I would imagine some of their better players WANT to play football and we could probably get them for less than a full ride since they only offered partials. Some of them were from Minnesota. I would definitely take a look at UNO! It's always been a very good program. Same with wrestling.

Ferd
03-15-2011, 03:45 PM
THe athletic scholarships they recieve will continue until they graduate or transfer.

FIFY..... :)

HerdBot
03-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Here is their most recent recruiting class...
http://omavs.com/documents/2011/2/2/2011_Signing_Day.pdf?id=1598

Mavs Sign Talented 2011 Recruiting Class

2011 Recruiting Class

OMAHA, Neb. -- UNO head football coach Pat Behrns announced on Wednesday the signing of 20 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent to join the Mavericks' football program in 2011.

The class includes 17 student-athletes coming out of high school and three transfers. One freshman-to-be, Zach Leinbaugh, signed in December and is already attending classes at Nebraska-Omaha and preparing for spring practice.

Behrns and his staff added eight offensive recruits and 11 players to the defensive side of the ball, as well as a place-kicker.

The Mavs particularly put focus on the linebacker position, picking up six standout athletes to come in and add immediate depth. The Mavs lost senior linebackers A.J. Williams and Kyle Moore, who were two of the top four tacklers on the team last season.

“I am very pleased with the class we signed this year, especially at linebacker," Behrns said. "We obviously put a priority on getting some talented young linebackers, and I think we accomplished that goal with this group."

UNO also added three recruits to the secondary, where third-leading tackler Danny Pelster's graduation left a safety position open.

On the offensive side, the Mavericks coaching staff worked to fill the holes left by the departure of second-team All-Americans Dennis Bergland and Harrison Lingenfelter. UNO added three highly regarded prospects to the offensive line, all standing 6-5 and averaging 292 pounds among them.

"We put a strong emphasis on finding some talented offensive lineman, because replacing two All-Americans is never an easy task," Behrns said.

The Mavs signed a plethora of talent at the skill positions, including two dual-threat quarterbacks, an athletic tight end and two local wide receivers.

Six players in the 2011 class hail from the state of Nebraska, five coming from the Omaha area. The class also comprises five recruits from Kansas, four from Missouri and three from Illinois. In addition to the local talent, the Mavs picked up a prospect from Colorado and one from California as well.

“Overall, we worked very hard to bring in not only talented players, but also quality young men, and I feel confident that we did that,” Behrns said.

2011 UNO Football Recruiting Class
Name
Pos. Ht. Wt.
Hometown (Previous School)

Nick Bandy DB 6-1 175 Lenexa, Kan. (Olathe Northwest HS)
Tiras Bolton DB 5-10 175 Omaha, Neb. (Omaha Westside HS)
Andrew Elliott LB 6-0 195 Joliet, Ill. (Joliet Catholic Academy)
Joel Fickel PK 6-3 190 Omaha, Neb. (Millard South HS)
Alex Knorr TE 6-3 235 Gardner, Kan. (Gardner-Edgerton HS)
Jon Hays* QB 6-1 205 Paradise, Calif. (Butte College)
David Hettiger* LB 6-3 240 Oak Lawn, Ill. (Harper College)
Trevor LaPoint WR 6-3 220 Bellevue, Neb. (Bellevue West HS)
Zach Leinbaugh^ DB 5-10 185 Omaha, Neb. (Millard West HS)
Vincent Manus* DT 6-3 285 Denver, Colo. (Glendale CC)
Devyn McPhaull DE 6-3 240 Leavenworth, Kan. (Leavenworth HS)
Mitch Peppmuller OL 6-5 285 Lincoln, Neb. (Lincoln Northeast HS)
Ben Poeschl LB 6-1 215 Lee's Summit, Mo. (Lee's Summit West HS)
Taylor Ratzlaff LB 6-3 190 Wichita, Kan. (Maize HS)
Matt Sawickis OL 6-5 300 Homer Glen, Ill. (Lockport Township HS)
Kyle Starke OL 6-5 290 Liberty, Mo. (Liberty HS)
Sean Strehl QB 6-3 205 Wildwood, Mo. (Eureka HS)
Montrae' Strickland LB 6-4 215 Lee's Summit, Mo. (Lee's Summit HS)
Kyle Swartz LB 6-2 225 Olathe, Kan. (Olathe North HS)
Elijah Tostenson WR 6-2 185 Omaha, Neb. (Millard South HS)
* - Transfer
^ - Enrolled in Jan.

We needs some speed at receiver...
ZACH LEINBAUGH
5-10, 185, DB, Omaha, Neb. (Millard West HS)
Zach Leinbaugh had an outstanding career at Millard West under Coach Kirk Peterson, helping the Wildcats to a three-year record of 31-6 including a state championship in 2008 and a runner-up finish in 2009. As a senior, Leinbaugh helped the Wildcats to an 8-3 record and a state playoffs quarterfinals appearance. Leinbaugh was named a first-team all-state selection in both his junior and senior seasons. He won the “Fastest Man Competition” at Nebraska’s summer football camp with a 4.41 40-yard dash time. Leinbaugh was also a standout on Millard West High School’s track team. He enrolled early at UNO and is currently taking classes and working out with the team preparing for spring practice. Leinbaugh is the son of Rick and Shari Leinbaugh and was born on June 23, 1992. Rick played football at Iowa State while Shari played softball at Northwest Missouri State.

Also need a big o-lineman...
(famililar school)

MATT SAWICKIS
6-5, 300, OL, Homer Glen, Ill. (Lockport Township HS)
Matt Sawickis paved the way for a dominant run game in the Southwest Suburban Conference Blue. As a two-year starter at left tackle for Coach Bret Kooi, Sawickis helped Lockport reach the Illinois 8A state playoffs every year in his career. Sawickis served as the team captain for the Porters in his senior season. After his senior season, Sawickis earned all-conference honors. He was also a three-year letterwinner for the Lockport wrestling team. Sawickis is the son of Bernie and Jackie Sawickis and was born on Nov. 9, 1992.

Linebacker? (familiar school)
TAYLOR RATZLAFF
6-3, 190, LB, Wichita, Kan. (Maize HS)
Taylor Ratzlaff finished an outstanding career at Maize as the team captain and one of the top tacklers in the Wichita area. Playing for Coach Craig Broadbent, Ratzlaff was a consistent force in opposing teams’ backfields, finishing with 12 tackles for losses and five sacks. He totaled 78 tackles on the season while starting every game at outside linebacker. Following his senior season, Ratzlaff was selected as an all-conference honorable mention linebacker. Ratzlaff is the son of Craig and Tammy Ratzlaff and was born on April 19, 1993. Craig played college football at Tabor College from 1983-87 while Tammy played volleyball at Tabor College from 1984-88.

Hambone
03-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Here is their most recent recruiting class...
http://omavs.com/documents/2011/2/2/2011_Signing_Day.pdf?id=1598

Mavs Sign Talented 2011 Recruiting Class

2011 Recruiting Class

OMAHA, Neb. -- UNO head football coach Pat Behrns announced on Wednesday the signing of 20 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent to join the Mavericks' football program in 2011.

The class includes 17 student-athletes coming out of high school and three transfers. One freshman-to-be, Zach Leinbaugh, signed in December and is already attending classes at Nebraska-Omaha and preparing for spring practice.

Behrns and his staff added eight offensive recruits and 11 players to the defensive side of the ball, as well as a place-kicker.

The Mavs particularly put focus on the linebacker position, picking up six standout athletes to come in and add immediate depth. The Mavs lost senior linebackers A.J. Williams and Kyle Moore, who were two of the top four tacklers on the team last season.

“I am very pleased with the class we signed this year, especially at linebacker," Behrns said. "We obviously put a priority on getting some talented young linebackers, and I think we accomplished that goal with this group."

UNO also added three recruits to the secondary, where third-leading tackler Danny Pelster's graduation left a safety position open.

On the offensive side, the Mavericks coaching staff worked to fill the holes left by the departure of second-team All-Americans Dennis Bergland and Harrison Lingenfelter. UNO added three highly regarded prospects to the offensive line, all standing 6-5 and averaging 292 pounds among them.

"We put a strong emphasis on finding some talented offensive lineman, because replacing two All-Americans is never an easy task," Behrns said.

The Mavs signed a plethora of talent at the skill positions, including two dual-threat quarterbacks, an athletic tight end and two local wide receivers.

Six players in the 2011 class hail from the state of Nebraska, five coming from the Omaha area. The class also comprises five recruits from Kansas, four from Missouri and three from Illinois. In addition to the local talent, the Mavs picked up a prospect from Colorado and one from California as well.

“Overall, we worked very hard to bring in not only talented players, but also quality young men, and I feel confident that we did that,” Behrns said.

2011 UNO Football Recruiting Class
Name
Pos. Ht. Wt.
Hometown (Previous School)

Nick Bandy DB 6-1 175 Lenexa, Kan. (Olathe Northwest HS)
Tiras Bolton DB 5-10 175 Omaha, Neb. (Omaha Westside HS)
Andrew Elliott LB 6-0 195 Joliet, Ill. (Joliet Catholic Academy)
Joel Fickel PK 6-3 190 Omaha, Neb. (Millard South HS)
Alex Knorr TE 6-3 235 Gardner, Kan. (Gardner-Edgerton HS)
Jon Hays* QB 6-1 205 Paradise, Calif. (Butte College)
David Hettiger* LB 6-3 240 Oak Lawn, Ill. (Harper College)
Trevor LaPoint WR 6-3 220 Bellevue, Neb. (Bellevue West HS)
Zach Leinbaugh^ DB 5-10 185 Omaha, Neb. (Millard West HS)
Vincent Manus* DT 6-3 285 Denver, Colo. (Glendale CC)
Devyn McPhaull DE 6-3 240 Leavenworth, Kan. (Leavenworth HS)
Mitch Peppmuller OL 6-5 285 Lincoln, Neb. (Lincoln Northeast HS)
Ben Poeschl LB 6-1 215 Lee's Summit, Mo. (Lee's Summit West HS)
Taylor Ratzlaff LB 6-3 190 Wichita, Kan. (Maize HS)
Matt Sawickis OL 6-5 300 Homer Glen, Ill. (Lockport Township HS)
Kyle Starke OL 6-5 290 Liberty, Mo. (Liberty HS)
Sean Strehl QB 6-3 205 Wildwood, Mo. (Eureka HS)
Montrae' Strickland LB 6-4 215 Lee's Summit, Mo. (Lee's Summit HS)
Kyle Swartz LB 6-2 225 Olathe, Kan. (Olathe North HS)
Elijah Tostenson WR 6-2 185 Omaha, Neb. (Millard South HS)
* - Transfer
^ - Enrolled in Jan.

We needs some speed at receiver...
ZACH LEINBAUGH
5-10, 185, DB, Omaha, Neb. (Millard West HS)
Zach Leinbaugh had an outstanding career at Millard West under Coach Kirk Peterson, helping the Wildcats to a three-year record of 31-6 including a state championship in 2008 and a runner-up finish in 2009. As a senior, Leinbaugh helped the Wildcats to an 8-3 record and a state playoffs quarterfinals appearance. Leinbaugh was named a first-team all-state selection in both his junior and senior seasons. He won the “Fastest Man Competition” at Nebraska’s summer football camp with a 4.41 40-yard dash time. Leinbaugh was also a standout on Millard West High School’s track team. He enrolled early at UNO and is currently taking classes and working out with the team preparing for spring practice. Leinbaugh is the son of Rick and Shari Leinbaugh and was born on June 23, 1992. Rick played football at Iowa State while Shari played softball at Northwest Missouri State.

Also need a big o-lineman...
(famililar school)

MATT SAWICKIS
6-5, 300, OL, Homer Glen, Ill. (Lockport Township HS)
Matt Sawickis paved the way for a dominant run game in the Southwest Suburban Conference Blue. As a two-year starter at left tackle for Coach Bret Kooi, Sawickis helped Lockport reach the Illinois 8A state playoffs every year in his career. Sawickis served as the team captain for the Porters in his senior season. After his senior season, Sawickis earned all-conference honors. He was also a three-year letterwinner for the Lockport wrestling team. Sawickis is the son of Bernie and Jackie Sawickis and was born on Nov. 9, 1992.

Linebacker? (familiar school)
TAYLOR RATZLAFF
6-3, 190, LB, Wichita, Kan. (Maize HS)
Taylor Ratzlaff finished an outstanding career at Maize as the team captain and one of the top tacklers in the Wichita area. Playing for Coach Craig Broadbent, Ratzlaff was a consistent force in opposing teams’ backfields, finishing with 12 tackles for losses and five sacks. He totaled 78 tackles on the season while starting every game at outside linebacker. Following his senior season, Ratzlaff was selected as an all-conference honorable mention linebacker. Ratzlaff is the son of Craig and Tammy Ratzlaff and was born on April 19, 1993. Craig played college football at Tabor College from 1983-87 while Tammy played volleyball at Tabor College from 1984-88.
I know Nick Bandy and Kyle Swartz were both two star per rivals. not that it means anything, but they might be players......

rutlandbison
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
FIFY..... :)
If they transfer they are not guaranteed.

HerdBot
03-15-2011, 04:48 PM
If they transfer they are not guaranteed.

Matt Sawickis was being recruited by these schools but no offers
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Matt-Sawickis-110046
Ball State None None
Bowling Green None None Warren Ruggiero
Eastern Kentucky None None
Northern Illinois None None
Southern Illinois None None
Toledo None None Mike Ward
Western Michigan None None Mike Sabock

Elijah-Tostenson was recruited by Nebraska but no offer. Has a giant afro.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Elijah-Tostenson-108125

Kyle Swartz
Was recruited by Kansas and Kansas State and offered by UND. Chose UNO
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Kyle-Swartz-112209

Leonardite
03-15-2011, 08:51 PM

The football program there was a financial mess, but the Omaha paper said last year was the first in six years that the hockey program made money. Apparently the Qwest Center lease has been quite a burden. The Qwest Center is a great facility, so you had to wonder why they are pushing to build a new arena. This connects the dots.

CAS4127
03-15-2011, 09:02 PM
The football program there was a financial mess, but the Omaha paper said last year was the first in six years that the hockey program made money. Apparently the Qwest Center lease has been quite a burden. The Qwest Center is a great facility, so you had to wonder why they are pushing to build a new arena. This connects the dots.

I think this just gives more credence to what I am saying in the "The Force v. UND" thread. If UNO made money on hockey this year, talent level is down, just as I suspected. See that thread for more insight.

onbison09
03-15-2011, 09:34 PM
I think this just gives more credence to what I am saying in the "The Force v. UND" thread. If UNO made money on hockey this year, talent level is down, just as I suspected. See that thread for more insight.

I'll agree with you on that.

Bisonwinagn
03-15-2011, 11:30 PM

I'm surprised they're cutting wresling. I can't imagine it is a very expensive sport considering there are not many players, no equipment, no field etc. All they need is a mat and headgear.

CaBisonFan
03-15-2011, 11:41 PM
I'd imagine that there would be a few outstanding players at UNO who could contribute in some way...whether it be depth, special teams, or as a starter. We have players who could play for almost anyone...even though we're FCS. The proof is in the fact that we send players to the NFL, while many FBS programs send about the same amount, or in some cases, less. I'd bet that Bohl & Co. are looking at it carefully. Why not?

We all know that Husker Football is the only program that really matters in Nebraska...so this isn't a big shocker. In the struggle to remain relevant in this crazy world of ncaa football, UNO got squeezed.

When I lived in Brookings there were many more Husker banners on houses than there were Rabbit ones...same for car stickers. That hasn't changed a lot in Brookings. SDSU even gets squeezed by Husker-Mania. Even after the Rabbits got a lot better, the allegiance to the Huskers remains enormous. And these are South Dakotans...not Nebraska transplants. Should see the interstate heading to Lincoln on an early Saturday morning. Wow

The Bison have the same opportunity to completely dominate the fan base in the region. Just have to keep the recruits coming and provide a great product. Also, keep an open mind about future alignments concerning conferences and the right division to play in. The FM region has 'FBS' written all over it.

Imagine a 25-30 thousand seat outdoor football stadium in a U-shape. Outdoor football...the smells of autumn...and tailgating that carries its attitude into the stadium.

Fightin' Bison
03-16-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm surprised they're cutting wresling. I can't imagine it is a very expensive sport considering there are not many players, no equipment, no field etc. All they need is a mat and headgear.

Wrestling and football eat up a lot of scholarships and there are no women's teams to balance it. Wrestling programs have been dropping all over the country for a long time now. Title IX compliance is a bitch. No irony intended.

Leonardite
03-16-2011, 12:58 AM
When I lived in Brookings there were many more Husker banners on houses than there were Rabbit ones...same for car stickers. That hasn't changed a lot in Brookings. SDSU even gets squeezed by Husker-Mania. Even after the Rabbits got a lot better, the allegiance to the Huskers remains enormous. And these are South Dakotans...not Nebraska transplants. Should see the interstate heading to Lincoln on an early Saturday morning. Wow

Truth. This is why I respect the Jacks and Yotes fans on these boards because they are obviously passionate about their teams. There are way too many people in the Sioux Falls region who crap on their local teams and support Nebraska, Kansas basketball, or whatever happens to be winning at the time, and "big league" their local schools. There's a touch of this in Fargo, but it's very pronounced 3 hours to the south.

CaBisonFan
03-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Truth. This is why I respect the Jacks and Yotes fans on these boards because they are obviously passionate about their teams. There are way too many people in the Sioux Falls region who crap on their local teams and support Nebraska, Kansas basketball, or whatever happens to be winning at the time, and "big league" their local schools. There's a touch of this in Fargo, but it's very pronounced 3 hours to the south.

Agreed...:nod: Sioux Falls & Rapid City provide very little support for the Yotes or Jacks.

The FM region is in a perfect...I mean 'perfect'...position to have an FBS football program. It would have a 'husker' effect on the entire region. Would people come out...as in outside to a beautiful new stadium to see the Bison play someone like Missouri, BYU, or any team with that kind of brand-name?

Answer: Seats would be very hard to find...:cool:

westnodak93bison
03-16-2011, 11:51 AM
imho, we will see more programs dropped across the country. Especially men's programs. So many states are broke and something will have to go.

TheBisonator
03-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Agreed...:nod: Sioux Falls & Rapid City provide very little support for the Yotes or Jacks.

The FM region is in a perfect...I mean 'perfect'...position to have an FBS football program. It would have a 'husker' effect on the entire region. Would people come out...as in outside to a beautiful new stadium to see the Bison play someone like Missouri, BYU, or any team with that kind of brand-name?

Answer: Seats would be very hard to find...:cool:

Especially with 209,000 people in the F-M metro area, there is a growing potential fan base.

344Johnson
03-16-2011, 07:54 PM
This shows that while hockey can make money, it is a black hole for other sports. Very few of the major hockey powers are forces in any other sport(Michigan I suppose, if they count anymore is a whole nother story, Wisconsin).

Hockey drains scholarships, doesn't make good revenue except at a few schools(UND being one of them), and like I said, drags everything else down. Denver, Colorado College, Mankato, St. Cloud, Boston U., Maine, etc are all pretty well exclusively hockey, and while thats great they have a sport, it has been, and always will be a NICHE sport. Can your average American name 5 NHL hockey teams? or name 5 NHL players? No. Game. Set. Match. FOOTBALL (btw yeah, see if any Omaha guys show the game to transfer up here).

Notorious
03-16-2011, 08:25 PM
or name 5 NHL players?

Gordie Howe
Wayne Gretzkey
Jack Hanson
Steve Hanson
Jeff Hanson

What do I win?

coldspot
03-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Gordie Howe
Wayne Gretzkey
Jack Hanson
Steve Hanson
Jeff Hanson

What do I win?

did you pop in slapshot to get the hanson brother's first names?

Fightin' Bison
03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
This shows that while hockey can make money, it is a black hole for other sports. Very few of the major hockey powers are forces in any other sport(Michigan I suppose, if they count anymore is a whole nother story, Wisconsin).

Hockey drains scholarships, doesn't make good revenue except at a few schools(UND being one of them), and like I said, drags everything else down.

Wrong. Hockey is expensive, but it is scholarship neutral from a Title IX perspective, i.e, both mens' and womens' teams with scholarship players. Football throws your scholarship ratio between men and women way out of whack. At the FCS level: 63 scholarships to men. Where do those scholarships get made up on the womens side? Why do you think the Bison field womens soccer and volleyball? The cost of not complying with Title IX is a lot more expensive than fielding a hockey team. If football isn't a money maker, which at UNO it was not (and no prospect of it becoming so given the competition for fans with UN at Lincoln), there is no justification for keeping the program because it cannot subsidize any womens athletic programs. Football became the athletic program drain. Not hockey.

IzzyFlexion
03-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Gordie Howe
Wayne Gretzkey
Jack Hanson
Steve Hanson
Jeff Hanson

What do I win?

12 pairs of UNO football thigh pads.

sambini
03-16-2011, 11:52 PM
How about the goal posts from Al Caniglia field...

344Johnson
03-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Wrong. Hockey is expensive, but it is scholarship neutral from a Title IX perspective, i.e, both mens' and womens' teams with scholarship players. Football throws your scholarship ratio between men and women way out of whack. At the FCS level: 63 scholarships to men. Where do those scholarships get made up on the womens side? Why do you think the Bison field womens soccer and volleyball? The cost of not complying with Title IX is a lot more expensive than fielding a hockey team. If football isn't a money maker, which at UNO it was not (and no prospect of it becoming so given the competition for fans with UN at Lincoln), there is no justification for keeping the program because it cannot subsidize any womens athletic programs. Football became the athletic program drain. Not hockey.

Well yes, in this particular situation you are 100% correct. But in most cases, football will be your top revenue maker, just sucks for states like nebraska that only have room in their hearts for one team. Just find it a bit odd that no bigtime hockey schools field successful programs in "Major sports" such as football or basketball, Minnesota and Wisconsin are exceptions to that. Essentially what I am trying to say is if you have the chance to be a big football school or a big hockey school you'll take football everytime. Get opportunities to be on ESPN a lot, local networks(Notre Dame anyone?) and a huge amount of coverage.

If say.....Michigan Tech(4-29-2 or something like that) would have upset UND last weekend, only the college hockey community would have noticed, however, if Auburn lost to Alabama A&M in football, the entire sporting world would have been aware as it would have been all over the tv.

344Johnson
03-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Gordie Howe
Wayne Gretzkey
Jack Hanson
Steve Hanson
Jeff Hanson

What do I win?

Touche.......smartass. 5 current AMERICAN PLAYERS.....born in....New York, on a tuesday night, between 1985-90. Now, i'd consider giving a prize if you knew this haha

onbison09
03-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Well yes, in this particular situation you are 100% correct. But in most cases, football will be your top revenue maker, just sucks for states like nebraska that only have room in their hearts for one team. Just find it a bit odd that no bigtime hockey schools field successful programs in "Major sports" such as football or basketball, Minnesota and Wisconsin are exceptions to that. Essentially what I am trying to say is if you have the chance to be a big football school or a big hockey school you'll take football everytime. Get opportunities to be on ESPN a lot, local networks(Notre Dame anyone?) and a huge amount of coverage.

If say.....Michigan Tech(4-29-2 or something like that) would have upset UND last weekend, only the college hockey community would have noticed, however, if Auburn lost to Alabama A&M in football, the entire sporting world would have been aware as it would have been all over the tv.

:confused: :rofl:

99Bison
03-17-2011, 04:48 PM

Actually in most cases Men's basketball is the real money maker. Unless you are a top 50 FBS college football program or other rarity, then yes football will make you money also.

Carry on...

CAS4127
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Actually in most cases Men's basketball is the real money maker. Unless you are a top 50 FBS college football program or other rarity, then yes football will make you money also.

Carry on...

Keep in mind that most conferences have formula for splitting net proceeds from BCS and other football bowl games, and those amounts can add up in a hurry!

Fightin' Bison
03-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Just find it a bit odd that no bigtime hockey schools field successful programs in "Major sports" such as football or basketball, Minnesota and Wisconsin are exceptions to that. Essentially what I am trying to say is if you have the chance to be a big football school or a big hockey school you'll take football everytime. Get opportunities to be on ESPN a lot, local networks(Notre Dame anyone?) and a huge amount of coverage.

As for hockey being a drain on programs success in other sports, I can't agree. As for big time hockey schools not being successful at other sports, I see your Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan and raise you:

Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Penn State (reaching, but check back in 5 years when the get their arena built and are part of Big 10 hockey)
UConn
Boston College
MN Duluth (can you count winning a DII football championship as successful? I guess we count it around here as part of NDSU's success.)

As for choosing to be big time in football versus hockey, its not a debate. If football is successful, it can make enough money to offset the scholarship imbalance with womens' sports, and be used to support a lot of womens' programs. Title IX is a huge issue here.

344Johnson
03-18-2011, 06:09 AM
As for hockey being a drain on programs success in other sports, I can't agree. As for big time hockey schools not being successful at other sports, I see your Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan and raise you:

Michigan State
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Penn State (reaching, but check back in 5 years when the get their arena built and are part of Big 10 hockey)
UConn
Boston College
MN Duluth (can you count winning a DII football championship as successful? I guess we count it around here as part of NDSU's success.)

As for choosing to be big time in football versus hockey, its not a debate. If football is successful, it can make enough money to offset the scholarship imbalance with womens' sports, and be used to support a lot of womens' programs. Title IX is a huge issue here.

UCONN doesnt do bigtime hockey do they? Notre Dame is a recent hockey power. Anyways you know what I am saying, BC isn't good at anything else btw. No also to Duluth, we won when division 2 didn't include the likes of northern state and minot state.

344Johnson
03-18-2011, 06:12 AM
And in addition to those schools that were added, hockey is an afterthought at those universities. I'm mostly talking the big hockey schools as in that is what makes the university tick. The sport students get amped up for, notre dame's arena for example, holds around 3,000 people. Their football stadium, over 80,000.

Bison05
03-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Bison Illustrated article on the topic

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=600

College Athletics: Is winning everything?

Preview: "There are the redundant clichés in sports that winning is everything. There is late college football coach Red Sanders saying “winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.” Or it’s Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis’s motto of “just win baby.”

On college campuses across the country winning influences everything from recruiting to revenue to coaches keeping jobs. That’s the simple mindset."

Twentysix
03-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Carry on...

We are a top 50 FBS College?

Oh our money must come from basketball then? Huh.