PDA

View Full Version : Wentz looking good...

AjaxTheMighty
03-13-2011, 03:55 AM
He and his Patriots are beating Bismarck High right now by 5. He is a big kid. I'm extremely excited to see him suit up in the Green and Yellow! He redshirts right?

MinotBison
03-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Century just won it. First time I believe since 1984 or thereabouts.

Twentysix
03-13-2011, 05:54 AM
He and his Patriots are beating Bismarck High right now by 5. He is a big kid. I'm extremely excited to see him suit up in the Green and Yellow! He redshirts right?

Yeah he will redshirt, we have like 6 qbs if the new guys didnt red shirt.

westnodak93bison
03-13-2011, 06:03 AM
99% chance he will redshirt imho. If he doesn't then either he is really really good or we had a rash of injuries.

4mcruenomore
03-14-2011, 02:47 AM
threads like this make Lakes shudder

AjaxTheMighty
03-16-2011, 11:05 PM
Are you using lakes name to decry my thread or are you legitimately speaking for him for some reason? FYI: #1) I don't give a rat's ass what lakesbison thinks. #2) I don't post on here wondering if he approves. In fact, I don't obsess over him like the "regulars" on here do either. I take an interest in future Bison players. If he doesn't like it, too damn bad.

Northside Bison
03-17-2011, 06:06 AM
Does anyone think he will ever be ahead of his Bismarck counter-part, Esley, on the depth chart? I for one, do not. Esley should be #2 for spring ball in my opinion, with a chance of starting if or WHEN Brock gets hurt. I don't see the same happening for Wentz. But I thought Mertens was gonna be the next Steve Walker too :smh:

Bison"FANatic"
03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
It is going to be a battle. Wentz has great measurables but we will see who has the" It" factor. Competition is good.

Bison Dan
03-17-2011, 12:12 PM
It is going to be a battle. Wentz has great measurables but we will see who has the" It" factor. Competition is good.

Yes the "it" factor: How successful a qb is under pressure. Most qb's can throw well enough, read defenses, run but what they do under pressure is my measure of a qb.

AjaxTheMighty
03-18-2011, 12:05 AM
Maybe we shouldn't call it the "it factor" anymore. Maybe the "Walker factor". He had all the intangibles that make an "it". I personally would like to see Jensen play and shelf Wentz for a season. (Unless Jensen is hurt - likely) There is the Arizona kid too. Who knows I guess. Seems like a lot of QBs. What to hope for....:)

westnodak93bison
03-18-2011, 12:10 AM
I want to see all players compete for playing time. I could care less if the starter is Jensen, Thorton, Mohler, Perez, Stanford or Wentz. Let the best man win it and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best keep competing in case they are forced into service.

1bizon1
03-18-2011, 01:16 AM
I want to see all players compete for playing time. I could care less if the starter is Jensen, Thorton, Mohler, Perez or Wentz. Let the best man win it and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best keep competing in case they are forced into service.

Yeah! What "west" said!!

AjaxTheMighty
03-18-2011, 02:38 AM
I guess I'm on board with that. Whatever gives the Bison the best shot at a NC, I'll take.

Twentysix
03-18-2011, 08:16 AM
I guess I'm on board with that. Whatever gives the Bison the best shot at a NC, I'll take.

DJ mcnorton gives the bison the best shot at a NC. In all seriousness, If someone wants one kid to play over whatever gives the bison the best chance to win a NC. Then they arent bison fans, there a fan of that player...

Northside Bison
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
It's nice that Bohl has more than enough QB's to choose from. :nod: Should be a great battle during spring ball.

Bison Dan
03-18-2011, 01:48 PM
DJ mcnorton gives the bison the best shot at a NC. In all seriousness, If someone wants one kid to play over whatever gives the bison the best chance to win a NC. Then they arent bison fans, there a fan of that player...

So who's the next great running back after McNorton?

HandoEX
03-18-2011, 02:14 PM
So who's the next great running back after McNorton?

Tough to say at this point. No one knew who'd replace Paschall, Roehl, Steffes, or Gordon in the last decade and no one knows now. I'd have to guess that Ojuri will be the man when DJ graduates, but that depends on a lot of different things. One thing we can be sure of is that the next RB will be great.

Herd
03-19-2011, 05:10 AM
The qbs job next year is to scare the defense enough with his arm that DJ can gash them for 150 a game. Be a real threat back there.

Twentysix
03-19-2011, 12:15 PM
The qbs job next year is to scare the defense enough with his arm that DJ can gash them for 150 a game. Be a real threat back there.

^^ Im sick of hoping our Qb play will be at a level it was with walker, mean come on, walker didnt even do nfl tryouts, he cant possibly be the best QB we will ever have. The recent qb's are a slight improvement over mertens but they are still a disapointment imo.

Hopefully the rest of the team is improving slightly, I really doubt were gonna have stellar qb play. I think im gonna have to see it to believe it. Game 4 will be how i judge our QB('s). Maybe game 3, if minnesota is capable of making the FCS playoffs this year.[Honestly, could kansas have made the FCS playoffs last year?]

AjaxTheMighty
03-19-2011, 03:00 PM
If our QB play is considered stellar this year, I have to admit, I would be very surprised. But that being said, I CAN and do hope for big improvements. Because looking back, big improvements would mean completing passes in the first half of the game, not scrambling (Mohler) on third and long all the time. Maybe completing more than 1 pass for 40 yards in a game could be thrown in there; having a 250+ yard passing performance every few games. That would be considered big improvement. It is also hard to NOT compare to Walker. How many QBs out of NDSU have gotten an NFL tryout over the years? I guess I'm not even sure. With what Steve did around here for four years he will always be in the conversation for the greatest QB the state of North Dakota has ever had. I agree with you six, it sucks wishing for that all the time though. But do you find yourself still doing it? I know I do.

Twentysix
03-20-2011, 03:21 AM
If our QB play is considered stellar this year, I have to admit, I would be very surprised. But that being said, I CAN and do hope for big improvements. Because looking back, big improvements would mean completing passes in the first half of the game, not scrambling (Mohler) on third and long all the time. Maybe completing more than 1 pass for 40 yards in a game could be thrown in there; having a 250+ yard passing performance every few games. That would be considered big improvement. It is also hard to NOT compare to Walker. How many QBs out of NDSU have gotten an NFL tryout over the years? I guess I'm not even sure. With what Steve did around here for four years he will always be in the conversation for the greatest QB the state of North Dakota has ever had. I agree with you six, it sucks wishing for that all the time though. But do you find yourself still doing it? I know I do.

I just cant believe that we have had 4(5)(Mertens, Tjack, Mohler, Jensen, Perez) qbs in a row that are considerably worse than steve walker, so far. Will NDSU never have a QB that is as good as steve walker again? It seems like other programs in the FCS all have great QB's, I cant believe we are having such a hard time getting one to work out. Frustrating stuff. Hopefully in a year or 2, we can forget about it all toghether cause whoever is QB is the best there ever was at NDSU, unfortunately till that happens im left doubting.

Both Jensen and Mohler should be better this year, but that doesnt mean they will be good enough imo.

If walker or someone of equal talent and "it factor" was QB at kansas, do we score alot more points? Just thinking about last season, i cannot believe we won that many games with the QB play we had, its almost funny.

AjaxTheMighty
03-20-2011, 01:43 PM
True dat. Our Defense won us many games despite our QB ineptitude. DJ helped a lot. Our O-line improved as the year wore on, I hope that improvement also continues.

yellowstreak
11-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Yes the "it" factor: How successful a qb is under pressure. Most qb's can throw well enough, read defenses, run but what they do under pressure is my measure of a qb.

More and more, I'm wondering how Wentz would play under pressure.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2012, 03:56 AM
I don't give a rat's ass what lakesbison thinks.

Count me in...

CalBison97
11-04-2012, 01:35 PM
More and more, I'm wondering how Wentz would play under pressure.

Would be nice to find out. Bring him in for a series after the second pick.

loudsilverado
11-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Pressure? I'd stick #9 in there, he has ice running thru his veins.....

BisonEngrGirl
11-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Would be nice to find out. Bring him in for a series after the second pick.

This is a good idea. We are already going to get into the playoffs, and I'd rather figure out his ability in one of the last 2 regular-season games as opposed to a play off game where if you lose, you're out. Obviously if we put him in and things went horribly south, we probably wouldn't win the conference championship. Still, I think it's worth the risk; either we discover he is ready to go and win game and give us a run for the NC, or he's not ready yet and we stick with Brock through the playoffs. I highly, highly doubt he'll get put in, but IMO, it would be worth a try.

HerdBot
11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
This is a good idea. We are already going to get into the playoffs, and I'd rather figure out his ability in one of the last 2 regular-season games as opposed to a play off game where if you lose, you're out. Obviously if we put him in and things went horribly south, we probably wouldn't win the conference championship. Still, I think it's worth the risk; either we discover he is ready to go and win game and give us a run for the NC, or he's not ready yet and we stick with Brock through the playoffs. I highly, highly doubt he'll get put in, but IMO, it would be worth a try.

It could be argued that our last 2 conference games will be harder than any of the playoff games. Just look at last years post season results. James Madison, Lehigh, and Georgia Southern would struggle in the Missouri Valley.

semobison
11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
It could be argued that our last 2 conference games will be harder than any of the playoff games. Just look at last years post season results. James Madison, Lehigh, and Georgia Southern would struggle in the Missouri Valley.

One thing about the Valley, if you can survive and make the playoffs you have already faced some damn good run defenses. Last year our running game exploded in our playoff run. Some of the offense we will see in the playoffs may be better but with our defense, bring it on.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-04-2012, 09:19 PM
In Bohl we trust.

BisonEngrGirl
11-04-2012, 10:01 PM

So this would be a very good opportunity to test out a new qb. If he can do well in the MV, we could trust him in the playoffs.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

CaBisonFan
11-04-2012, 10:02 PM
One thing about the Valley, if you can survive and make the playoffs you have already faced some damn good run defenses. Last year our running game exploded in our playoff run. Some of the offense we will see in the playoffs may be better but with our defense, bring it on.

This is correct...

NDSU_grad
11-04-2012, 10:05 PM
In Bohl we trust.
Nonsense. If anonymous people on an internet message board don't know what's good for the team then I don't know who does.