PDA

View Full Version : UNO getting a site visit????

NDSUstudent
03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
UNO's interest in NCAA Division I athletics appears to be getting serious.

Representatives of the Summit League, a 10-team conference that stretches from Michigan to Utah and from Fargo to Tulsa, are scheduled to be on the University of Nebraska at Omaha campus Wednesday and Thursday.

UNO Athletic Director Trev Alberts said Tuesday that he assumes the league is considering several potential candidates for membership.

“One of those is UNO,” Alberts said. “And so they'd like to come, as part of their vetting process, and take a look at our campus to see whether or not they'd be interested in extending an invitation.”

No official invitation has been made to UNO, Alberts said, nor has he had contact with any other Division I conferences.

In one of the first public signs of mutual interest, Alberts attended the Summit League basketball tournament last weekend in Sioux Falls, S.D., where he was seen with the league's commissioner, Tom Douple.

http://omaha.com/article/20110309/NEWS01/703099866#division-i-conference-eyes-mavs

bisonmike2
03-09-2011, 04:15 PM
In before Lakes "WTF! We're assembling the old NCC!!!! Time to the the WAC! AAAAARRRGGH!!!" post.

NDSUstudent
03-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Well Mike I'm about to make lakes a bit more pissed, Douple said that he wouldn't mind if UND joined the league at some point in the future. The MVFC has said the number 12 could work but they don't want 11, so they could just offer both and split the league into two divisions(allow the eastern schools less travel which they want).

HandoEX
03-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Well Mike I'm about to make lakes a bit more pissed, Douple said that he wouldn't mind if UND joined the league at some point in the future. The MVFC has said the number 12 could work but they don't want 11, so they could just offer both and split the league into two divisions(allow the eastern schools less travel which they want).

So who could be #12?

NDSUstudent
03-09-2011, 04:54 PM
But what happens to UNO football? I doubt they just join the Summit and leave their football program with no home, they'll be knocking on the MVFC's door.

The Summit's problem is that the league is at the mercy of the MVFC when it comes to adding new members with football. They said 11 won't work but 12 might.

NDSUstudent
03-09-2011, 04:56 PM
So who could be #12?

For the Summit? UALR or Northern Kentucky seem like the only options if the league added UNO and UND.

tony
03-09-2011, 04:58 PM
USD will replace Centenary and UNO is a potential replacement for SUU. I think UNO would put the Summit League back at 10 members. The conference would have a tighter geographic focus and, in my opinion, greater long-term stability.

Football is the problem - UNO would be the 11th member there.

If UNO is a hockey-over-everything school, yuk. Not to mention that I'm not enthused about commuter schools to begin with.

That said, if Youngstown bolts the MVFC or there is another potential member, UNO makes perfect sense.

I'm no fan of conferences with two division mega-conferences - I don't think they are very stable.

HandoEX
03-09-2011, 05:03 PM
For the Summit? UALR or Northern Kentucky seem like the only options if the league added UNO and UND.

What would be the positives of adding UND and UALR/UNK?

NDSUstudent
03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
What would be the positives of adding UND and UALR/UNK?

Not sure really, other than 12 is better number than 9 or 11 and that all the schools mentioned are in the league footprint.

Adding just UALR is probably ideal but I doubt they'd join unless the Sun Belt kicks them out. I think adding them is long shot.

WYOBISONMAN
03-09-2011, 05:46 PM
UNO does not excite me one bit. UNO brings absolutely nothing to the Summit. They are certainly not a peer institution with us.:smh:

Facts
03-09-2011, 06:24 PM
UND UNO UND UNO UND UNO UND UNO UND UNO
it all looks the same to me

TheBisonator
03-10-2011, 12:35 AM
Great, let's just rename it the North Central Conference and bring in Roger Thomas as commish. Then when conferences like the Missouri Valley and Horizon decide to stay with the big boys once DI fractures into two, we can agree to go right back to Division II again.

tjbison
03-10-2011, 12:36 AM
yeah.......im not liking this so much

DjKyRo
03-10-2011, 01:19 AM
If UNO or other schools have the academic success and finances to move up, why not? It's not like we're suddenly ineligible for a D-I championship if they join up.

tjbison
03-10-2011, 01:49 AM
If UNO or other schools have the academic success and finances to move up, why not? It's not like we're suddenly ineligible for a D-I championship if they join up.

I'm all for it, but the Summit always taking transitional schools does nothing to help the conference for long run, I know they took us and SDSU but what im saying is maybe if Douple stressed to the teams to raise their SOS and get the RPI up we could lure a team from another conference that doesnt sponsor FB or what not, they could actually HELP the conference UNO does not

DjKyRo
03-10-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm all for it, but the Summit always taking transitional schools does nothing to help the conference for long run, I know they took us and SDSU but what im saying is maybe if Douple stressed to the teams to raise their SOS and get the RPI up we could lure a team from another conference that doesnt sponsor FB or what not, they could actually HELP the conference UNO does not

Douple confirmed in an interview he's doing just that - asking teams to schedule up and do what they can to make the Summit a two-bid league. What I don't get is that all the time fans around here are talking about moving up and out as soon as possible, and yet are adamantly against other "transitional" schools. The Summit is never going to be this stable bastion a la the MVC, so if a school makes for a more round figure like 10 and a close road trip, I personally don't see the issue in considering adding them.

tjbison
03-10-2011, 02:04 AM
Douple confirmed in an interview he's doing just that - asking teams to schedule up and do what they can to make the Summit a two-bid league. What I don't get is that all the time fans around here are talking about moving up and out as soon as possible, and yet are adamantly against other "transitional" schools. The Summit is never going to be this stable bastion a la the MVC, so if a school makes for a more round figure like 10 and a close road trip, I personally don't see the issue in considering adding them.

Your missing my point and I am very much NOT in the know so it could be happening, but why in the world is the Summit, the only conference who is courting a DII school that has not announced its moving up?? Thats what I'm saying, if we the fans know there are current DI schools out there that are obviously not wanted in their current conference they would be first on my list to go visit...and like I said maybe it is/has happened and we don't know but the fact still remains our "DI" conference is going after DII teams..and that I don't like right now

NDSUstudent
03-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Honestly what makes UNO different from UMKC, WIU, Oakland, IPFW and IUPUI and why can't UNO at least match their success?

It isn't like Butler is knocking down our door trying to get in.

I think people need to remember we left DII because schools like Minot State were taking over and the better teams were leaving. We didn't leave because the NCC sucked. I don't want to create a DI NCC but I don't mind having a conference that at its core is former NCC schools.

tjbison
03-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Honestly what makes UNO different from UMKC, WIU, Oakland, IPFW and IUPUI and why can't UNO at least match their success?

It isn't like Butler is knocking down our door trying to get in.

I think people need to remember we left DII because schools like Minot State were taking over and the better teams were leaving. We didn't leave because the NCC sucked. I don't want to create a DI NCC but I don't mind having a conference that at its core is former NCC schools.

Well, I guess im wrong to want to see the Summit reach higher standards than going after every DII transitional team out there, pretty soon we will have the left overs from the GWC beating down the door. I still say improve with what we have and Oakland stepped up their game this year and frankly NDSU needs to match that...our recent schedules are not good, this is all my opinion though so flame away on me

NDSUstudent
03-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Well, I guess im wrong to want to see the Summit reach higher standards than going after every DII transitional team out there, pretty soon we will have the left overs from the GWC beating down the door. I still say improve with what we have and Oakland stepped up their game this year and frankly NDSU needs to match that...our recent schedules are not good, this is all my opinion though so flame away on me

But the problem is scheduling doesn't work with nine members, we need one more for balance. If we can get to 10 I think the league can be stable for a long time. Honestly I'd love to add UALR and call it good but that seems like a longshot.

I do agree we need to beef up our schedule a bit in basketball, I don't think we need to go crazy like Oakland but playing one or two more high majors wouldn't hurt.

tjbison
03-10-2011, 02:25 AM
But the problem is scheduling doesn't work with nine members, we need one more for balance. If we can get to 10 I think the league can be stable for a long time. Honestly I'd love to add UALR and call it good but that seems like a longshot.

I do agree we need to beef up our schedule a bit in basketball, I don't think we need to go crazy like Oakland but playing one or two more high majors wouldn't hurt.

Agreed, just a couple would help the kids prepare

Bison Dan
03-10-2011, 12:36 PM
The only problem I have with UNO is if there like all the other WCHA schools that put all their resources into hockey and leave the other sports high and dry.

tony
03-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Agreed, just a couple would help the kids prepare

And it might be kind of fun (playing some high majors like Oakland, that is.)

heckler
03-10-2011, 03:35 PM

But playing NAIA/ DII/ Transitioning teams equal 1/3 of our wins the last two years. :hide:

lakesbison
03-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Just embarassing to be a part of a league that not only added vermillion to our dump list of travels , but maybe Omaha???

uno is a joke, seriously, please. No NO NO.

CAS4127
03-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Just embarassing to be a part of a league that not only added vermillion to our dump list of travels , but maybe Omaha???

I don't like the Omaha idea either. Plus our AD's tend to get in trouble down there--no pun intended.

Kermit
03-10-2011, 08:21 PM
I honestly think UNO could be a good addition to the Summit. Much better than Southern Utah. They would help tighten up the footprint and, in my opinion, help stabilize the league for years to come. Trev Alberts is going to get things done down there. Plus, if Youngstown State would jump to the CAA, they would be a logical replacement in the MVFC.

NDSUstudent
03-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Lakes are you really bashing Omaha? It might not be Minneapolis but I wouldn't be putting it in the same sentence as Vermillion.

tony
03-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I honestly think UNO could be a good addition to the Summit. Much better than Southern Utah. They would help tighten up the footprint and, in my opinion, help stabilize the league for years to come. Trev Alberts is going to get things done down there. Plus, if Youngstown State would jump to the CAA, they would be a logical replacement in the MVFC.

Yeah, no matter how you slice it, trading UNO and USD for Centenary and Southern Utah is nothing but win.

tony
03-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Lakes are you really bashing Omaha? It might not be Minneapolis but I wouldn't be putting it in the same sentence as Vermillion.

For handy reference, I've been compiling a list of Things Lakesbison Has Said Are Jokes. Dude should find somebody to work a thesaurus for him.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23296

Twentysix
03-13-2011, 06:13 AM

Other than no pro sports affilation, I like omaha better than twin cities. :S

I would love visiting omaha every couple years for sporting events.

coldspot
03-13-2011, 06:40 AM

I would love visiting omaha every couple years for sporting events.

Omaha has the college world series. worth going to every summer.

aces1180
03-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Looks like they are going DI, but dropping football and wrestling...Wow.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2011/03/13/its-a-done-deal/

Twentysix
03-14-2011, 01:54 AM
Omaha could be The future site of the sl tourney. That would be great.

lakesbison
03-14-2011, 02:39 AM

PROPOSTUROUS STATEMENT OF 2011. wow.

missingnumber7
03-14-2011, 12:51 PM

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/312261/

Is this to make it easier for Title IX compliance? They would make a great football add to the Missouri Valley FC if they keep football and Youngstown makes the jump east.

onbison09
03-14-2011, 04:57 PM

F***ing bullshit. They are a national contender at the DII level.

tony
03-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Yeah too bad about wrestling - like somebody else posted, they've won six of the last eight D2 national championships. Football probably had to go.

CAS4127
03-14-2011, 05:40 PM
?????????? What exactly Did Chancellor Christensen mean when he said "the decision to eliminate the teams was the toughest he's made but it is necessary for UNO to achieve its goal of becoming a revered metropolitan institution by 2020"?????????

Seriously, what the hell does that mean???

aces1180
03-14-2011, 05:59 PM

You must be passionate about college wrestling...Personally, I could care less and wouldn't shed a tear even if NDSU dropped it.

Too bad they couldn't have saved football and dropped tennis, along with wrestling and added women's hockey.

It all comes down to money though and football is expensive, especially when attendance is low and in they are playing in the shadow of Lincoln.

tony
03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if UN-O is threatening to drop wrestling as a fund-raising tactic (either wrestling finds funding or it goes.)

Apparently, that is what SCSU was doing with football. I say that same thing abou UNO football, except that the dollars involved there are so enormous and their revenue is so low.

Tatanka
03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if UN-O is threatening to drop wrestling as a fund-raising tactic (either wrestling finds funding or it goes.)

Apparently, that is what SCSU was doing with football. I say that same thing abou UNO football, except that the dollars involved there are so enormous and their revenue is so low.
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/15442/951437-71io6_super.jpg

And their penises, so very small and insignificant compared to NDSU.

NDSUstudent
03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't know, it seems like their AD has a plan in how their DI move is going to go and wrestling is definitely not part of that plan. You would think if wanted to save wrestling he would have approached cutting the program with a bit more finesse.

lakesbison
03-14-2011, 06:15 PM
they shoulda cut womens basketball instead of wrestling.

aces1180
03-14-2011, 06:20 PM
they shoulda cut womens basketball instead of wrestling.

TITLE IX prevents that...

onbison09
03-14-2011, 06:52 PM
You must be passionate about college wrestling...Personally, I could care less and wouldn't shed a tear even if NDSU dropped it.

Too bad they couldn't have saved football and dropped tennis, along with wrestling and added women's hockey.

It all comes down to money though and football is expensive, especially when attendance is low and in they are playing in the shadow of Lincoln.

They've won 6 out of 8 of the past national titles.

CAS4127
03-14-2011, 07:11 PM

Including this past weekend, right before the coach got a call from AD Albert telling him wrestling was gone. Again (I ask), what dose the goal of creating a "revered metropolitan university by 2020" mean? That is what the chancellor was quoted as saying in the Forum article. I mean, what exactly is a revered metropolitan university?

Sounds like something UND would say!?

Tatanka
03-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Including this past weekend, right before the coach got a call from AD Albert telling him wrestling was gone. Again (I ask), what dose the goal of creating a "revered metropolitan university by 2020" mean? That is what the chancellor was quoted as saying in the Forum article. I mean, what exactly is a revered metropolitan university?

Well, they do have hockey.

onbison09
03-14-2011, 08:02 PM

I think the douchebag could've waited till they got back.

missingnumber7
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM

The Forum article also said it was a Title IX issue.

aces1180
03-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Meh...Like I wrote, if college wrestling went away, I wouldn't even notice.

Them dropping football, however, is too bad.

TheDoctor
03-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Bottom line is they are conforming to a Summit League only school. They are adding golf and something else, right (summit league sports)? Dropping wrestling and football (not Summit League sports). If the Summit League had football and wrestling this would be a nonissue. ;)

Hammersmith
03-14-2011, 10:09 PM
I think the douchebag could've waited till they got back.

I wonder if the story was about to break and the AD wanted to tell the coaches himself rather than have them hear it from the media. That would've been even worse. If it was a media leak, then I'd be royally pissed at whoever talked early. If the timing wasn't prompted by a leak, then I'll agree that Alberts is a douchebag.

coldspot
03-15-2011, 10:46 PM
over at ss.com they're painting UNO in a poor light for sacrificing 2 sports just to move up to Division I, when they themselves are 100% behind sacrificing their entire athletic department for a nickname.

Tatanka
03-16-2011, 12:49 AM
over at ss.com they're painting UNO in a poor light for sacrificing 2 sports just to move up to Division I, when they themselves are 100% behind sacrificing their entire athletic department for a nickname.

Hypocrisy isn't just a word they can't pronounce, it's a way of life in Grand Forks.

TheDoctor
03-16-2011, 03:35 AM

:rofl: AHMEN! :rofl: My cousin, Senator Mac Schneider from Grand Forks, spoke on the floor of the Senate AGAINST the bill. Now Mac is a Senator in the campus district of GF AND a former lineman for the UND football team. He tried to explain that while you think you are standing up for UND you will actually be hurting them. Did they listen? Obviously not. ;)

TbonZach
03-16-2011, 04:05 AM
:rofl: AHMEN! :rofl: My cousin, Senator Mac Schneider from Grand Forks, spoke on the floor of the Senate AGAINST the bill. Now Mac is a Senator in the campus district of GF AND a former lineman for the UND football team. He tried to explain that while you think you are standing up for UND you will actually be hurting them. Did they listen? Obviously not. ;)

That's just the thing - if you even give the slightest hint of being against the Sioux then you are ostracized and called an enemy of the state.

DjKyRo
03-16-2011, 04:09 AM
That's just the thing - if you even give the slightest hint of being against the Sioux then you are ostracized and called an enemy of the state.

This, with an emphasis on "Sioux" rather than "UND." They're fans of one sport and the nickname associated with it up north and it's unfortunate to see how few of them actually care about the institution behind it.