PDA

View Full Version : Bohl contract extension......

WYOBISONMAN
03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
It is in the Forum this morning that a new contract for Bohl extending his contract for 5 years is almost finished. We have been through a lot with Bohl......some amazing great times......and some that have had us peering into an abyss. What do you think? Should he be extended for another 5 years? This would be a costly contract for NDSU to break if things go south.....

I am torn on this and don't know what to think......but, in the end I trust Gene Taylor to do the right thing. Gene is an outstanding AD!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/311570/group/Sports/

THEsocalledfan
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
When does his current contract expire? If after next season, I guess I can support it for stability for the athletes.

aces1180
03-09-2011, 01:08 PM
It is in the Forum this morning that a new contract for Bohl extending his contract for 5 years is almost finished. We have been through a lot with Bohl......some amazing great times......and some that have had us peering into an abyss. What do you think? Should he be extended for another 5 years? This would be a costly contract for NDSU to break if things go south.....

I am torn on this and don't know what to think......but, in the end I trust Gene Taylor to do the right thing. Gene is an outstanding AD!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/311570/group/Sports/

My guess it has the clause that he can't leave for another FCS program, only a FBS school, which is a good thing.

I think this is an indication that he wants to win here, which is something I really appreciate about Bohl.

WYOBISONMAN
03-09-2011, 01:08 PM
When does his current contract expire? If after next season, I guess I can support it for stability for the athletes.

It looks like this new extension will be effective in July, 2011.

GradBison
03-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I like it, but I also would like a few more wins in the MVC.

Time to step it up Coach Bohl, we're no longer the new kids on the block, it's time to figure out the conference and start winning.

IzzyFlexion
03-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Time to step it up Coach Bohl, we're no longer the new kids on the block, it's time to figure out the conference and start winning.

http://www.celebritynewsbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/charlie-sheen-winning-tshirt.jpg

rutlandbison
03-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I like it. Stability with coaches is a good thing, especially the head coach. Everybody saw what happened to Pitt and its future recruits after Dave Wanstadt left. The new coach was hired and then fired, and new coach was hired. If Bohl wants to be here, I say keep him.

THEsocalledfan
03-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I like it. Stability with coaches is a good thing, especially the head coach. Everybody saw what happened to Pitt and its future recruits after Dave Wanstadt left. The new coach was hired and then fired, and new coach was hired. If Bohl wants to be here, I say keep him.

Agreed. While the MVFC record needs to be improved, he did make a heck of a run in the playoffs last year no matter how you slice it.

cbline
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Agreed. While the MVFC record needs to be improved, he did make a WHALE of a run in the playoffs last year no matter how you slice it.

Fixed it for you. :)

DjKyRo
03-09-2011, 03:11 PM
I like it. Someone mentioned Bohl wanting to win here at NDSU and that's an attitude I appreciate. I think he truly gets the whole Bison Pride idea and that's a great thing to see. More than anything I sincerely buy that he is committed to making this program better and recovering from the 2008-09 seasons. Can't wait to see where Bohl can guide this program.

MNLonghorn10
03-09-2011, 05:28 PM
does htis mean 5 more years of vigen?

HandoEX
03-09-2011, 05:32 PM

Has Greg Davis found a job yet?

Wally
03-09-2011, 05:33 PM

As a tight ends coach, I'm all for it.

MNLonghorn10
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Has Greg Davis found a job yet?

i honestly dont know whos worse, davis or vigen.

but no not yet

tjbison
03-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Give it to him.....he kept to his word and turned around a pitiful team with a great class of freshman, he does know how to coach and admitted he messed up with the recruiting with the 10-1 yrs. I think we are fine

Northside Bison
03-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Give Bohl the extension. He deserves it after all he has done here. He's not that bad of a coach either. :nod:

ndsubison1
03-10-2011, 02:24 AM

agreed. i wanna see more wins over SDSU and some over UNI. Plus conference championships. We have a shot this upcoming season, lets finally live up to expectations.

In related news, I'm waiting for the comments on the Forum complaining about teacher salaries and how the athletic department gets better treatment than others :rolleyes:

NDSUFan_Sav
03-10-2011, 04:52 AM
not sure if this was posted somewhere or in the forum link I didn't read through it but I also heard Gene is in the process of getting a 5 year extension, not positive if I remember reading that somewhere or not.

Bison"FANatic"
03-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I just don't understand the timing of this. Wait until the legislature has adjouned or at least until the Higher Ed budget has passed. It can only give the people trying to cut higher ed budgets more ammo and something else to run a smoke screen with.:smh: :smh: :smh:

Bison Dan
03-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I just don't understand the timing of this. Wait until the legislature has adjouned or at least until the Higher Ed budget has passed. It can only give the people trying to cut higher ed budgets more ammo and something else to run a smoke screen with.:smh: :smh: :smh:

Maybe buy Coach Bohl's salary doesn't come from any state money. If people think that they need to be educated..

THEsocalledfan
03-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Agreed, but anyone who thinks the salaries of head football coaches are not justified are small minded. Why?

1. Probably put in more hours than nearly any other campus employee.
2. Can be fired even if doing the best job possible if the kids don't perform. Imagine if we did that to faculty members with tenure?
3. Create more exposure and excitement for a University than any advertising campaign does; leads to student erollment and even attracting some faculty.

Those guys earn every dime and I haven't even mentioned, particularly at the FBS level, how much money their success can bring in. Even the playoff run for NDSU last year brought in some good coin......

Bison"FANatic"
03-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Don't get me wrong I agree. But it is the perception of closing the Early Childhood development Day care (And don't get me started there, 8 staff for 38 kids, :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:), going to the legislature and asking for more money for NDSU but then handing out a contract extension and raise. It is just really bad political timing. It is a good thing it is being done but the timing is terrible in my opinion.

KTF
03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Don't get me wrong I agree. But it is the perception of closing the Early Childhood development Day care (And don't get me started there, 8 staff for 38 kids, :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:), going to the legislature and asking for more money for NDSU but then handing out a contract extension and raise. It is just really bad political timing. It is a good thing it is being done but the timing is terrible in my opinion.

It's called staffing ratios imposed by the Department of Health and Human Service Division. Every day care center or home day care can only have so many children per "teacher". I over see a number of daycare centers in my job, they need to run 90% or greater occupancy or else they are in trouble. They are second in loan payment delinquencies right behind assisted living centers...

bisonmike2
03-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm in favor of the extension. I mostly agree with what tjbison said. He's taken us to the top, let the program slide a little but he's also proven that he can make adjustments turn it back around again. You can't argue his record against FBS teams, I'd just like to see more consistency against the top teams in our conference but I remember when UC Davis and Cal-Poly where a huge pain in our ass and then Bohl managed to figure them out so hopefully that will come soon too.

bisonmike2
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM

I have 2 young children and some days I feel like 8 staff members wouldn't be enough to control them.

Bison"FANatic"
03-10-2011, 03:45 PM
It's called staffing ratios imposed by the Department of Health and Human Service Division. Every day care center or home day care can only have so many children per "teacher". I over see a number of daycare centers in my job, they need to run 90% or greater occupancy or else they are in trouble. They are second in loan payment delinquencies right behind assisted living centers...

I know they can only have so many kids of different ages (It is actually a formula they plug in) and 4.75 students per provider seems awfully low. On the outside looking in seems they were over staffed or under utilized.

THEsocalledfan
03-10-2011, 04:26 PM

If you here anyone who criticizes NDSU on this, ask them if they would be okay shutting down the football program instead.

I would be interested in hearing the responses.

Twentysix
03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
I have 2 young children and some days I feel like 8 staff members wouldn't be enough to control them.

Im failry certain they had 28 employee's only 8 of them being FT.

Student employees work between 4 and 20 hours a week, so they had between 80 hours per week and 400 hours per week of student employee that everyone on bv seems to be discrediting.

The center employs about 20 work study students, Habedank said

They may also employ non workstudy students aswell.

Esquire
03-10-2011, 05:37 PM
The primary reason for a 5 year contract is for recruiting and to show that your coach is here for the entire 5 years of the athlete you are recruiting. Coach Bohl did a great job turning a medicore year into a successful playoff run this year. There is a lot of excitement going into next year. He deserved the extension.

The whole key to any coaches contract though is the buyout if there is ever a termination. Likely never to happen, but I would be interested to see what that number is and how it is calculated?? (See Brewster's buyout-- didn't fair so well compared to value of contract). The other number I would be interested to see is the buyout NDSU would require to let Bohl out of his contract should Coach Bohl ever get an offer from a bigger school. It would cost NDSU a lot of money to replace a head football coach. I bet Koplack will get the details once the contract is public. I know Coach Bohl is bonused on attendance and making the playoffs, conference championships, and national championship wins.

lakesbison
03-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Bohl is bonused in attendence and playoffs.

Vigen needs to be put back at Tight Ends Coach, Bring in a big time Offensive Coordinator so we can win 2-3 titles in a row and then move to the FBS!!!!

SDbison
03-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Bohl is bonused in attendence and playoffs.

Vigen needs to be put back at Tight Ends Coach, Bring in a big time Offensive Coordinator so we can win 2-3 titles in a row and then move to the FBS!!!!
Don't post stuff like this at Bisonville Lakes! There are posters here that will go on the attack and accuse you of being pissy. Vigen is such a great coach and he is beyond criticism. Us fans are supposed to be patient while Vigen with no experience possibly learns the positions Bohl gave him. Oh, and don't even dream of FBS because the old school posters that think DII and FCS are the greatest will bury you with no justification.

ndsubison1
03-10-2011, 07:12 PM

agreed. very bad timing for this. this will be ammo for osme legislatures im sure

ndsubison1
03-10-2011, 07:18 PM
I like it. Someone mentioned Bohl wanting to win here at NDSU and that's an attitude I appreciate. I think he truly gets the whole Bison Pride idea and that's a great thing to see. More than anything I sincerely buy that he is committed to making this program better and recovering from the 2008-09 seasons. Can't wait to see where Bohl can guide this program.

but isnt that what everybody wants though? obviously everybody wants to see Bohl win here

THEsocalledfan
03-10-2011, 07:43 PM
agreed. very bad timing for this. this will be ammo for osme legislatures im sure

Well, they have already proven they are small minded, so you are clearly correct on this.......

Bison05
03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
What was Bohl's salary when he was first hired before the 2003 season as still a D-II coach? Now this contract is in the works that, with incentives and TV and everything, could pay him close to $300,000. Was he making somewhere around $100,000 when he started (just a guess). I bet we all would like a 300 percent raise within ten years of our jobs!

THEsocalledfan
03-10-2011, 09:54 PM
What was Bohl's salary when he was first hired before the 2003 season as still a D-II coach? Now this contract is in the works that, with incentives and TV and everything, could pay him close to $300,000. Was he making somewhere around $100,000 when he started (just a guess). I bet we all would like a 300 percent raise within ten years of our jobs!

Your point? Plus, you are not even sure of his original salary. Many people, if they achieve, rapidly increase in salary. I happen to be one of them myself.

BlueBisonRock
03-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Your point? Plus, you are not even sure of his original salary. Many people, if they achieve, rapidly increase in salary. I happen to be one of them myself.

Yes! And it helps if you have photographs!

JSUBison
03-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Give Bohl the extension. He deserves it after all he has done here. He's not that bad of a coach either. :nod:

I think he's #2 on all time wins, he should surpass Rocky easily at the end of these 5 years, if my memory is correct on coaching records.

rockybison
03-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Won't happen

CaBisonFan
03-11-2011, 08:05 AM
How much of his salary will come from tax dollars? Anyone have a possible breakdown of the sources of the money involved?

How much have our friends to the north spent on trying to keep a mascot (logo)? It's never been good timing to spend that kind of money. And their flagship program...whoa. The investment has to be huge. I happen to be a UND hockey fan...so to any UND fans that read this...chill out. I'm guessing that the leadership at UND views maintaining a top-shelf hockey program as being worth it.

I have no argument with the fact that coaches are paid too much in relation to other salaries on campus...or in the public sector. Things like this are completely out of whack. And we complain about people wanting a wage & benefits that will allow them to live.

It's a bidding war for top-level coaches. Guess an A.D. and a university could argue that the revenue is easily made up for with support for the university and the program, when it's a winner.

The Chapman philosophy was that upgrading and maintaining the program was easily worth the investment. That's how we got to where we are. He saw it as public relations to bring other programs up (academics included).

Most major universities are happy to overpay a coach if it means winning. There must be something to it.

Shhhhhhh....football has been kind of important at North Dakota State. Has a little something to do with its identity.

IzzyFlexion
03-11-2011, 10:04 AM

I consider myself somewhat of an expert in toddler management. And that aint easy when you combine that with all of the effort required to stay under the DCFS radar.

http://laurenoutloud.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/nyquil.jpg

Mr. Burgundy
03-11-2011, 12:00 PM

WOW. Congrats to your individual success, but damn was that a pompous statement. "Hey everyone, look at me."

jarhead
03-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Don't know (and don't care) if this is relevant, but how much does UND pay their puckey coach and, since we don't have puckey, are the
amounts paid out in athletic staff salaries equal or not?

Bison"FANatic"
03-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I thought Hakstol was around 300,000.

THEsocalledfan
03-11-2011, 05:11 PM
WOW. Congrats to your individual success, but damn was that a pompous statement. "Hey everyone, look at me."

Burgundy, I had no intention of offense, but just was intending to point out that many, many people, including folks on this board, achieve rapid increases in salary if they achieve and I firmly support that part of capitalism. I in no way make the kind of money Bohl does, but I have had big pay jumps at times in my career like others have. That was the point; not intended to be pompous, but understand how it can come off that way.

Morale story: Someone criticises Bohl for getting a big pay jump, you mention the things I already quoted and then say if you achieved in your job, would you want to be rewarded? If they say yes, you are done. If yes, but that is too much, mention that many others in the private sector very well get similar percentage raises when they do well. End of discussion.

jarhead
03-11-2011, 06:57 PM
I thought Hakstol was around 300,000.

Simple math: (susie puckey staff salaries + susie FB staff salaries) = NDSU FB salaries.

JustinTyem
06-30-2011, 06:46 AM
mmmmmmm,took 3 months for it to go through.

mnriverbison
07-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Don't know (and don't care) if this is relevant, but how much does UND pay their puckey coach and, since we don't have puckey, are the
amounts paid out in athletic staff salaries equal or not?

Seems like apples and oranges doesn't it? Their hickey brings in a shitload of revenue.