PDA

View Full Version : What NDSU women need to win over SDSU in Summit Tourney in 2011?

imabison
03-06-2011, 05:47 AM
My impression after seeing the last home game there are 4 changes that will make a difference.

1. Make 5 of the 7 missed free throws in the first half. Not a typical ft line display for the Bison.

2. Make 4 defensive stops on offense. either misses or blocks. Inside or out.
I think the game in Fargo was actually that close.

3. Inside shooting layups are there, just being missed. SDSU is pretty agressive on defense, thought NDSU should still be used to the pressure
and make more inside shot.

4. Make more 3 point shots, but after the first game in Brookings it appeared that SDSU was defensing that part of the NDSU game better.

Wish I could be in Sioux Falls for the game, but maybe next year.

Lets Go Bison, put it together to get them again.

Elephants Dream?
03-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Here's my opinion:
#1 Hire a coach.
#2 Get a coach that recruits more players.
(If you have more bodies, at least you have a chance to win games.)
#3 Get a coach that recruits more talented players.
(AJ wins that one hands down.)
#4 See #1 above.

sidenotes:
We've had 3 yrs. of an ultra-short bench & a worse finish each year.
She doesn't seem to get it.
Attendance in Fargo continues to decline.
What's to make it go up next year? Probably not much.

Bison"FANatic"
03-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Do we even use all of our schollies??? If you can't use them its not that the players are not out there, its that you can't recruit.

Elephants Dream?
03-06-2011, 11:07 PM
15 *available* schollies in WBB.

DORMIE
03-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Had a conversation with Elephants Dream after last Saturdays loss to the Jacks at the GR in Fargo and we were both pretty frustrated with the status of the program. Just so you know, ED knows what's going on. In listening to Jamie Berry after todays loss it seems to me that this year they got caught short handed with their bigs. They thought they would have 5 coming in, but Rachael Eckman left and 2 had surgery leaving them with only 2. She said that they have 2 shcollys left and will be looking at JC's or seniors to fill those 2 spots. Was pretty happy with the guards coming in. I just hope it works out. I hate to be negative, but the last 3 years with 7-8 players has been pretty frustrating.

imabison
03-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Had a conversation with Elephants Dream after last Saturdays loss to the Jacks at the GR in Fargo and we were both pretty frustrated with the status of the program. Just so you know, ED knows what's going on. In listening to Jamie Berry after todays loss it seems to me that this year they got caught short handed with their bigs. They thought they would have 5 coming in, but Rachael Eckman left and 2 had surgery leaving them with only 2. She said that they have 2 shcollys left and will be looking at JC's or seniors to fill those 2 spots. Was pretty happy with the guards coming in. I just hope it works out. I hate to be negative, but the last 3 years with 7-8 players has been pretty frustrating.

But it appears at least 1 of seem to agree that the coaching staff has done a very good job with what they have to work with. If players chose to leave its going to happen, and coaches cannot be blamed for injuries.

DORMIE
03-07-2011, 01:45 AM
No, the coaches cannot be blamed for injuries, but with 15 scholorships available, you should try and be close to that number available in case you have injuries. Our staff has not been close to that the past 3 years. The Jacks rotated 11 players and ran us into the floor. They pulled the plug when they were up by 24 and we had the last 13. Wasn't even close.

imabison
03-07-2011, 02:06 AM
No, the coaches cannot be blamed for injuries, but with 15 scholorships available, you should try and be close to that number available in case you have injuries. Our staff has not been close to that the past 3 years. The Jacks rotated 11 players and ran us into the floor. They pulled the plug when they were up by 24 and we had the last 13. Wasn't even close.

Alright then does it come to down not finding the right people to fill the scholarships or just filling the scholarships to fill the scholarships. Which would you prefer to have the coaching staff do??

Bison"FANatic"
03-07-2011, 02:55 AM
If they are not filling the scholly with talented players then they are not getting their job done. The first year I can understand but not filling for this long just doesn't seem right. Makes you go hmmmm.

steelbison
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Here's my opinion:
#1 Hire a coach.
#2 Get a coach that recruits more players.
(If you have more bodies, at least you have a chance to win games.)
#3 Get a coach that recruits more talented players.
(AJ wins that one hands down.)
#4 See #1 above.

sidenotes:
We've had 3 yrs. of an ultra-short bench & a worse finish each year.
She doesn't seem to get it.
Attendance in Fargo continues to decline.
What's to make it go up next year? Probably not much.

Totally agree. My question is name one thing..one thing coach has added or brought to this program that's positive?

Every year she has excuses. I for one am tired of listening to the same old bs.

When does the Coach have to be held accountable? With 15 scholarships there is no way depth should ever be an issue yet it continues to be. I don't want excuses of injuries or people leaving. I want results!

Elephants Dream?
03-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Steel and BisonFan, you are both correct, imo.
The resources are in place to recruit the players.
I'm sure the BSA bunch can afford the phone calls and visits to
potential players. We have available schollies every year.
I haven't seen much for results, however.
What has the coach done?? Let's see; short bench every
year, a worse finish in the Summit every year, tired players.
Oh, but she's Really good at complaining about "adversity" !
Teams normally lose players to injuries, and some choose to leave.
That's NORMAL, not adversity.
If you are lucky enough to have a year with no defections, and
no injuries, then crow about how lucky you were.
Quit bitching about what every team goes thru each year,
which is injuries and somebody leaving.
:hide:

roadwarrior
03-10-2011, 12:53 AM
The coaching staff should be out looking for a JC player or two right now.

Facts
03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm no basketball expert. I do attend most of the women's games, however. I question the ability of the coach to make adjustments midgame. Was it the ORU home game when the bison went up huge in the first half and then ORU changed it's defense and we basically turned the ball over, and over, and over again in the second half? It was really bad to watch, and the coach didn't or couldn't change a thing.

Elephants Dream?
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
It's been too quiet here, so I'll stir the pot.
Yes, some of us talk about the lack of half-time adjustments made
by the coach. <---(referencing the post above)
It appears to me that many of you see what has been brought up in these threads. I'm disappointed in where the program is headed.
I know it's early, but I'll make some predictions for next year:
Another short bench. I'm Really Sick of this. :mad:
This causes tired players, which equals some losses in games.
Will all the players on this years roster be back? NO!
Will at least one player get hurt? Probably.
Attendance will be rather poor, about like this year.
Whitney & Megan accounted for approx. 50-55 minutes.
What Experienced players will get those minutes?
We don't have experienced players on the bench to get those minutes.
Most of those minutes will have to go to freshmen with no experience.

SlickVic
04-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Bring amy back to the bench she knew what she was doing +++++++

99Bison
04-05-2011, 04:01 AM

Well, when she left though there was only about 5 players left on the team.

Elephants Dream?
04-05-2011, 04:46 AM

God, I hope not.

Elephants Dream?
04-05-2011, 04:48 AM
Well, when she left though there was only about 5 players left on the team.

And the next year she might have had two-three??

SlickVic
04-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Well, when she left though there was only about 5 BALLAZ left on the team.

Fixed it for you fool lol I don't pretend to know anything about womens basketball but I would like to pick dormies brain about it sometime that's my boy but amys my baby girl she was worth the price of admission even though when she was coaching I got in free bottom line she could take over tommorow and own the summit league for the next 15 years if she wanted to hands down no doubt about it pure stand up class act she was is and always will be bison womans hoops and I'd be 100 percent all in on a amy ruley comeback special let's pump it up around here where's blue key alum when I need him\her haha jk hahaha

aces1180
04-05-2011, 01:38 PM
They should just drop women's basketball and add women's hockey! :rimshot:

BlueKeyAlum
04-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Fixed it for you fool lol I don't pretend to know anything about womens basketball but I would like to pick dormies brain about it sometime that's my boy but amys my baby girl she was worth the price of admission even though when she was coaching I got in free bottom line she could take over tommorow and own the summit league for the next 15 years if she wanted to hands down no doubt about it pure stand up class act she was is and always will be bison womans hoops and I'd be 100 percent all in on a amy ruley comeback special let's pump it up around here where's blue key alum when I need him\her haha jk hahaha

Ta DAH!!

Well, I was hoping that if a coaching change would take place, we'd pull in:
http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=5200&SPID=2167&SPSID=28701

But she went somewhere else this week.

Personally, I think Amy and the women's program departed on terms amicable to everyone. It is interesting to note everyone's thoughts on the current coaching staff, philosophy, player management,etc. I had hoped the program would be farther ahead of where they are now (I don't know if my hopes were realistic or just wishful thinking). I think we have the players to compete in the league. I do question how they are utilized and over utilized because of a small roster. I am not privy to whether the staff thought that some of the frosh would make an impact this season or not.