PDA

View Full Version : State BB tourney

JSUBison
02-20-2011, 04:42 AM
Time to fill out your bracket:

http://www.ndhsaa.org/files/1011_B_BBB_Final_64_Bracket.pdf

I remember back in high school, several of our teachers were degenerate gamblers, and in class they would have us fill out brackets for the state tourney. I think the winning student got a pop and/or a candy bar. I could only guess as to what amount of cash was flowing in the teachers lounge though. :D

Yet I was the one that got in trouble for running black jack during lunch...:confused:

I only posted the Class B tourney bracket because that's the only one that matters.
:hide:

coldspot
02-20-2011, 04:47 AM
mohall-lansford-sherwood going all the way this year. :hide:

sambini
02-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Oak Grove Grovers

IzzyFlexion
02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Northstar Bearcats!
f.k.a. the Cando Cubs.

Gotta pull for Rolla-Rock Lake too. Last game ever played at Rock Lake HS just a few days ago. R.I.P. Rock Lake Aces.

stevdock
02-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Region 1 has got to be the deepest region left in the state. I could realistically see 7 different teams win the regional this year with Oak Grove being on top. But as good as they are, they are not unbeatable. They depend too much on the 3 to say they will automatically go to state.

Wally
02-20-2011, 01:52 PM
When did the Regions/State Tourney a couple of weeks earlier? I always remember state being mid-March and regions early March? When did this happen?

roadwarrior
02-20-2011, 02:07 PM
When did the Regions/State Tourney a couple of weeks earlier? I always remember state being mid-March and regions early March? When did this happen?

This year.

Herd
02-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Let's go Sioux!

NorthernBison
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Northstar Bearcats!
f.k.a. the Cando Cubs.

Gotta pull for Rolla-Rock Lake too. Last game ever played at Rock Lake HS just a few days ago. R.I.P. Rock Lake Aces.

Northstar is very very very very good. Everybody knows about the big kid Lindahl (6-7 and probably the best shooter on the team) but they are loaded at every position. They have TWO 6-2 Sophomore guards who can handle the ball, defend like crazy and score well too (Hagler and Grande). The Swanson kid they got from Leeds (Swanson 6-3) is a very good player inside and outside.

They beat Rolla-Rock Lake by 40 in the District Championship. Actually, they have beat everybody by a lot this season. Including the top teams in this region and Region 2.

The big question about Northstar is how they might respond in a close game. They haven't really had one all year.

They can only lose in the Region by choking. They have already beat the crap out of every team they could see in Devils Lake.

sambini
02-20-2011, 04:11 PM
The High School league switched the seasons of Class B boys and girls. Which in turn means the Class B tourney will be rotated between the Minot State dome and the Alerus Center in Grand Forks. The WDA boys will be played at the Bismarck Civic Center at the time. So they are out of the rotation. Minot has a problem with Hotel room space because of the oil boom. I really wish they would go back to the way it was. And leave it at the Bismarck Civic Center imo...

NorthernBison
02-20-2011, 04:34 PM
The High School league switched the seasons of Class B boys and girls. Which in turn means the Class B tourney will be rotated between the Minot State dome and the Alerus Center in Grand Forks. The WDA boys will be played at the Bismarck Civic Center at the time. So they are out of the rotation. Minot has a problem with Hotel room space because of the oil boom. I really wish they would go back to the way it was. And leave it at the Bismarck Civic Center imo...

Bismarck is the best basketball venue in the state. This is a bad situation.

I don't think they will simply change it back though. The problems with the length of the volleyball season vs football are still there. Maybe they could solve it some other way.

onbison09
02-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Rugby Panthers :D

tjbison
02-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Minot is the worst possible location for the B, no good food, shopping sucks, hotels are horrible, and just getting there is a LONG ways for nearly everyone.

I agree Bismarck should host it all the time

NorthernBison
02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Minot is the worst possible location for the B, no good food, shopping sucks, hotels are horrible, and just getting there is a LONG ways for nearly everyone.

I agree Bismarck should host it all the time

Yes and no. Bismarck is far and away the best place to hold a state tournament.

Minot has the second best facility and is closer than either Fargo or Grand Forks for a large portion of the state. Look at a map sometime. If Cando represents Region 4, Minot is easier to get to than either Grand Forks or Fargo. Region 4 is basically an eastern region.

I can't find much good to say about Grand Forks.

Fargo has the best lodging. Absolutely the worst facilities possible. Fargo sucks worst of the four choices until a facility worth playing in is available. They have tried Fargo before and I don't know anybody that thought it was a good idea.

coldspot
02-20-2011, 07:03 PM

Minot has the second best facility and is closer than either Fargo or Grand Forks for a large portion of the state. Look at a map sometime. If Cando represents Region 4, Minot is easier to get to than either Grand Forks or Fargo. Region 4 is basically an eastern region.

Fargo has the best lodging. Absolutely the worst facilities possible. Fargo sucks worst of the four choices until a facility worth playing in is available. They have tried Fargo before and I don't know anybody that thought it was a good idea.

they've never tried basketball at the scheels arena yet. couldnt be any worse than the civic center or fargodome.

Tatanka
02-20-2011, 07:05 PM

I know I'm not the only one that finds this to be absolutely ridonkulous. Especially if one considers the current decrepit state of teh BSA, the fact that a lot of private money has been raised for its renovation, and whose money built the facilities in Minot.

roadwarrior
02-20-2011, 07:31 PM
they've never tried basketball at the scheels arena yet. couldnt be any worse than the civic center or fargodome.

Scheels Arena would be way too small for the class B. Even the class A wouldn't do well in there. The distance from the ends of the basketball court to the end zone seats would be too much to make it a good basketball environment IMO. The Fargodome easily beats it.

roadwarrior
02-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I know I'm not the only one that finds this to be absolutely ridonkulous. Especially if one considers the current decrepit state of teh BSA, the fact that a lot of private money has been raised for its renovation, and whose money built the facilities in Minot.

A big thank you to the ND taxpayers. :banghead:

coldspot
02-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Scheels Arena would be way too small for the class B. Even the class A wouldn't do well in there. The distance from the ends of the basketball court to the end zone seats would be too much to make it a good basketball environment IMO. The Fargodome easily beats it.

4000-5000 seats isnt enough?

NorthernBison
02-20-2011, 08:03 PM
4000-5000 seats isnt enough?

Not for the "B". The MSU Dome seats 10,000. I don't think they sell out. I'm not sure what the capacity of the Bismarck Civic is but that has been full in the past.

rustywallace
02-20-2011, 08:06 PM
I believe the B will be at the ralph and not alerus.

IzzyFlexion
02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Not for the "B". The MSU Dome seats 10,000. I don't think they sell out. I'm not sure what the capacity of the Bismarck Civic is but that has been full in the past.

Basketball capacity at the Bismarck Civic Center is 8,600.
There would be a fair amount of additional seating in the Sheels with the small increment style risers with chairs behind each basket. (ala the Pepsi Center in Denver, et al.)

rustywallace
02-21-2011, 02:47 AM
does anyone know the record for the B? I believe the hockey record is somtin like 9500 at the ralph when central played grafton.

NorthernBison
02-21-2011, 03:43 PM
does anyone know the record for the B? I believe the hockey record is somtin like 9500 at the ralph when central played grafton.

Forum Blog today indicated 12,000 at the Fargodome. Don't think they have ever played it where the capacity exceeds that.

NorthernBison
02-21-2011, 09:10 PM
There will be a new Class B State Champion this year. Northstar defeated Carrington 76-43 in the opening game of Region 4. Carrington was the last team to beat Northstar (in the Regional Final last year).

JSUBison
02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
There will be a new Class B State Champion this year. Northstar defeated Carrington 76-43 in the opening game of Region 4. Carrington was the last team to beat Northstar (in the Regional Final last year).

Northstar does have a history of picking up their first loss of the season at the absolute worst time. They were undefeated last year when Carrington beat them right? Northstar/Cando also lost the title game several years back, only loss of season. Heavy favorite going in too. If ever a game needed a shot clock that was it. North Border got the lead and proceeded to play "pass the ball around and don't shoot" for the next quarter. But Border won it fair and square. I still think the no shot-clock rule was a joke.

johnson
02-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Forum Blog today indicated 12,000 at the Fargodome. Don't think they have ever played it where the capacity exceeds that.
I was almost positive the first time the B was at the Fargodome they announced the attendance during the championship game as 14,700. I'm not sure of the exact year but the building was pretty new. That tournament was the first time a lot of my friends had ever been there.

They had more seating on the floor and it seemed like the court was a mile away. The east and west ends were nearly filled to the top for the tournament. I haven't seen a crowd that big for a basketball tournament since and they have also changed the layout making it better for fans. I attended the last tournament held at the fargodome a few years ago and it was nothing like the first time it was held there.

NorthernBison
02-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Northstar does have a history of picking up their first loss of the season at the absolute worst time. They were undefeated last year when Carrington beat them right? Northstar/Cando also lost the title game several years back, only loss of season. Heavy favorite going in too. If ever a game needed a shot clock that was it. North Border got the lead and proceeded to play "pass the ball around and don't shoot" for the next quarter. But Border won it fair and square. I still think the no shot-clock rule was a joke.

I think the loss to North Border was about 10 years ago in the State Title game. It was their only loss of the season. Interestingly enough, Northstar had beaten North Border by 35 or 40 points in Walhalla around Christmas time only to lose in the game that really mattered.

The star of that Northstar team was Evan Lindahl. His little brother is a Senior this year and arguably their star. Personally, I think Hagler, the Soph guard is a player they can't afford to lose.

State Tournament attendance is not what it once was. I don't think they sell out the Dome in Minot and that holds about 10,000.

SlickVic
02-21-2011, 10:56 PM
I'll be traveling to whap tommorow night to whatch the golden grovers at 6 and maybe stay to see kinert play the cc squirels both those teams are somewhat sweet

NorthernBison
02-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Solen Sioux won their opener over Underwood. I heard Jack Michaels interviewing one of their players and the coach after the game. Apparently there was some controversy where they didn't even know if they were going to play in the Region 5 tournament until today? Anybody know what that was about?

ndsubison1
02-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Solen Sioux won their opener over Underwood. I heard Jack Michaels interviewing one of their players and the coach after the game. Apparently there was some controversy where they didn't even know if they were going to play in the Region 5 tournament until today? Anybody know what that was about?

Something about eligibility of a player I believe

onbison09
02-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Well Rugby got beat.

sambini
02-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Oak Grove won..

stevdock
02-22-2011, 11:42 PM
I'll be traveling to whap tommorow night to whatch the golden grovers at 6 and maybe stay to see kinert play the cc squirels both those teams are somewhat sweet

Hopefully you can find the place as the squirrels got bounced quickly. 12-1 deficit was too much to overcome. Thursday's got a good shot of being Oak Grove against Kindred. You want to see a PG NDSU should look at is Kretchman out of Kindred. He is going to be a very special player when he grows up some.

NorthernBison
02-23-2011, 01:13 AM
North Star beat Warwick 86-51 in the semi's of Region 4. Four Winds is down by 4 at the half to Harvey-Wells County.

Interesting score out west. Minot Ryan beat Berthold 32-27. A real "rock fight" there. Must have set a record for bricks in one game.

SlickVic
02-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Hopefully you can find the place as the squirrels got bounced quickly. 12-1 deficit was too much to overcome. Thursday's got a good shot of being Oak Grove against Kindred. You want to see a PG NDSU should look at is Kretchman out of Kindred. He is going to be a very special player when he grows up some.

Kretchman from kinert just going off 5 3s mid way thru the third vikings up 8

tony
02-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Kretchman from kinert just going off 5 3s mid way thru the third vikings up 8

Any relation to the Bison WR great, Len Kretchman? Man, that guy was a player!

SlickVic
02-23-2011, 02:45 AM
Any relation to the Bison WR great, Len Kretchman? Man, that guy was a player!

Not sure there was an article written about him by my boy kevin schrempf a few days ago in the forum...in my opinion that kretchman kids a poor mans jake driscoll...kinert does have a post player who's pushin 3 bills he's kinda sweet...nice to be back at whap science again aka my old stomping grounds they got a sweet new parquaed floor with a wildcat in the middle its really nice...I was a cat backer before I was a team maker so I'm always happy to see improvements in wildcat country...talked to coach shu told him to get that pipeline to fargo up and running again said he's workin on it...irwin was in the house he's as classy as ever I really respect that fool...as djkyro would say good times...can't wait for thursday coach card and the golden grovers one gameaway from the big show...kinert has no chance sorry stevdock ;)

sambini
02-23-2011, 02:59 AM
Go Grovers++++

NorthernBison
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Region 2 Final is Grafton vs. Cavalier. Fourth meeting this season. Cavalier won twice during the season and Grafton won in the District Title game. I think Cavalier gets the trip to State.

Region 4 Final is North Star vs. Harvey-Wells County. North Star won the regular season game 60-43 on Dec 9. Should be their Title to win but HWC is playing their best ball of the season. They ended up beating Four Winds handily.

GRAFTONBISON
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Region 2 Final is Grafton vs. Cavalier. Fourth meeting this season. Cavalier won twice during the season and Grafton won in the District Title game. I think Cavalier gets the trip to State.

Region 4 Final is North Star vs. Harvey-Wells County. North Star won the regular season game 60-43 on Dec 9. Should be their Title to win but HWC is playing their best ball of the season. They ended up beating Four Winds handily.

Cavalier is more athletic and talented than Grafton, but they are always close games. Cavalier's senior leadership and experience should take control, but I wouldn't count Grafton out just yet. This is Grafton's 3rd region championship game appearance in 4 years. Our basketball programs have made great strides in the last few years.

North Star was by far the best team Grafton has faced all year. IMO

Facts
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
does anyone know the record for the B? I believe the hockey record is somtin like 9500 at the ralph when Grafton smoked Central 6-2.

Fixed it for ya!

NorthernBison
02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Cavalier is more athletic and talented than Grafton, but they are always close games. Cavalier's senior leadership and experience should take control, but I wouldn't count Grafton out just yet. This is Grafton's 3rd region championship game appearance in 4 years. Our basketball programs have made great strides in the last few years.

North Star was by far the best team Grafton has faced all year. IMO

I picked Cavalier for the reasons you listed. They better come to play though because Grafton has already shown they can beat them. One thing that hasn't impressed me is the "attitude" shown by the Cavalier players when I've seen them play. They are good but not as good as they act.

North Star got 27 and 22 points from their 6-2 Sophomore Guards last night (Grande and Hagler) and 20 points from Lindahl (6-7 Center). I still contend that the key to their success is their Guard play. If you have any backcourt weaknesses, North Star will absolutely Kill you. I would love to see two unbeatens battle it out for the Title in Bismarck.

stevdock
02-23-2011, 11:31 PM
can't wait for thursday coach card and the golden grovers one gameaway from the big show...kinert has no chance sorry stevdock ;)

Well that's why they play the game. We'll have to wait and see. If Oak Grove shoots the way they did on Tuesday anyone can beat them and Maple Valley almost did. You should know that Kindred probably should have beat Oak Grove the first time around, ending up losing by 5 after some bad turnovers at the end and no free throw shooting. Also Kindred gave Oak Grove all it could handle in the first 3 quarters of the district semi's. I do think Oak Grove is beatable but you are going to have to be completely on your game to beat them and you HAVE TO LIMIT TURNOVERS.

SlickVic
02-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Well that's why they play the game. We'll have to wait and see. If Oak Grove shoots the way they did on Tuesday anyone can beat them and Maple Valley almost did. You should know that Kindred probably should have beat Oak Grove the first time around, ending up losing by 5 after some bad turnovers at the end and no free throw shooting. Also Kindred gave Oak Grove all it could handle in the first 3 quarters of the district semi's. I do think Oak Grove is beatable but you are going to have to be completely on your game to beat them and you HAVE TO LIMIT TURNOVERS.

Yessir...agree completley...they way coach card runs that half court trap easier said then done though although I've notice in the 4th quarter as you've mention opposing teams start to get a lot more comfortable against dat defense and that creates a ton of good looks...I don't remember that whap gym being so loud but the other night I wanted ear plugs I can just about imagine what it all be like tommorow night with the whole town of kinert coming into town...its quite the rivalry from what I've been told kinert is fond of throwing out a bible thumpers chant lol...anyways I havnt been this exited for a high school basketball game since the incredible kevin hanks and his waubun bombers hosted thee cass lake bena panthers in 1999!!! Also from the way northerns been talking about that northstar squad I'd consider driving all the way to wherever the hell they play to see the golden grovers take on that team

ndsubison1
02-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Who's number 1 in Class B?

NorthernBison
02-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Who's number 1 in Class B?

Pretty sure this was the last Poll

1. North Star
2. Oak Grove
3. New Town
4. Berthold
5. Cavalier
6. Bishop Ryan
7. Linton HMB
8. Watford City
T9. Beulah
T9. North Sargent

Pretty sure the top 2 are unbeaten. Haven't paid attention enough to know if any of the 10 have been knocked off yet.

SlickVic
02-25-2011, 02:04 AM
The old grovers got er done baby section champs bring on north star

GRAFTONBISON
02-25-2011, 02:25 AM
Sounds like North Star cruised to a Region Championship.

Grafton upended Cavalier tonight to make it back to the State B. Congratulations guys:nod: :nod:

sambini
02-25-2011, 02:58 AM
Go Grovers back to Minot...

NorthernBison
02-25-2011, 03:21 AM

I listened to the Region 4 game and North Star was up 6 at the half. Started the 3rd on a 12-0 run which ended up being a 20-4 and cruise control from there on.

Interesting thing. Hagler needed 14 points to get to 1,000 on his career. Did that with ease. He's a sophomore. Keep an eye on that kid.

SlickVic
02-25-2011, 03:48 AM
I listened to the Region 4 game and North Star was up 6 at the half. Started the 3rd on a 12-0 run which ended up being a 20-4 and cruise control from there on.

Interesting thing. Hagler needed 14 points to get to 1,000 on his career. Did that with ease. He's a sophomore. Keep an eye on that kid.

Sweet sweet thanks for the updates fool sounds like the golden grovers all get the winner of waterford city vs newtown game any idea who won that one?

ThunderDan
02-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Not gonna lie, watching North Dakota boys high school basketball makes me want to dig my eyes out with a rusted spoon...in fact, if i had to choose between watching that or high school girls basketball, it would be a tossup.
That goes for Class A and B.

IzzyFlexion
02-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Northstar will kick OGs ass!!!!
If they end up playing each other, slickster, we gotta get some sort of wager going.

NorthernBison
02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Sweet sweet thanks for the updates fool sounds like the golden grovers all get the winner of waterford city vs newtown game any idea who won that one?

New Town beat Watford 78-74 in OT. They play the final game in the opening round. I think this is how it shakes out.

1. Minot Ryan vs Dickinson Trinity
2. North Star vs winner of Washburn/Standing Rock (that game is tonight)
3. Grafton vs Linton-HMB
4. Oak Grove vs New Town.

Last game is #2 vs #3.

Looks like at least 5 of the 10 ranked teams made it.

JSUBison
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Here's a little breakdown of the tourney teams. Trinity lost to Linton and Oak Grove. Grafton lost to North Star.

For the top ten, I used the final ranking I could find. Current to 2/24 I believe. I wasn't going to go by whether the opponent was in the top ten at the time of the game. I have free time, but not THAT much. Take it with a grain of salt, it's kind of tricky finding some school's complete schedules. Standing Rock I'm looking at you. So I might have missed a game somewhere.

vs state particpants vs top ten
Trinity 0-2 0-3
Ryan 0-0 1-0
North Star 1-0 4-0
Standing Rock 0-0 0-1
Grafton 0-1 2-4
Linton 1-0 1-0
New Town 0-0 4-0
Oak Grove 1-0 2-0

My state picks:
Ryan over Trinity
NS over Standing Rock
Linton over Grafton
New Town over Oak Grove (upset special)

NS over Ryan
New Town over Linton

NS over New Town
New Town probably has the highest octane offense in the tourney, but North Star plays up tempo as well, could be a lot of points if these two teams make the final. North Star has a better defense than New Town, so I'm giving them the edge.

sambini
03-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Go Grovers

onbison09
03-01-2011, 03:24 AM
My state picks:
Ryan over Trinity
NS over Standing Rock
Linton over Grafton
New Town over Oak Grove (upset special)

Can I get a double loss? :D :hide: Go New Town.

BisonAccountant44
03-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I miss the going to the B. A tiny part of me wants to say go Linton to support good ole district 6, but I just can't do it.

BadlandsBison
03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
I haven't seen New Town play in years, but I know this; they will start shooting 3s at the state tourny and if they start making them, look out.

sambini
03-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Grovers will shoot em to....

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Class B Hoops is the premier sporting event in North Dakota (except Bison Football) Sioux Hockey is a cult, and therefore does not count as a sport!!

Seriously Class B boys hoops is what a sporting event should be. Lots of hometown pride and passion! I am heading out west to cheer for the Grovers. They have 10 seniors on the squad, I always look for experience at this time of year. Oak Grove is the only returning team from last year.

As always there will be those cheering against "private" schools. There is also a certain anti-east feeling that materializes every year at this tournament. It all makes it great!

Go Grovers!

NorthernBison
03-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Should be a great Tournament.

Oak Grove gets the #3 rated team in round one.

"On paper" a Saturday Night matchup between Oak Grove and North Star would be ideal. We'll see if either or both can get through to Saturday. Can't really predict anything this time of year. Especially with High School kids.

Grovers the only returning team. North Star has lost ONE game the last two years. That was the Region Final last year to Carrington in OT. Carrington then went on to win the State.

Looks like 3 private schools. I understand the complaint about "recruiting" but don't think it is a fair argument. With open-enrollment, it happens at the public schools too. Most times it is the kids self-selecting if they can. North Star has a kid that came from Leeds. I don't know the whole story but there was some intensity when the teams played earlier in the year due to some hard feelings about how that shook out.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Grovers last regular season loss was January 2009! at the Fargodome to Park Christian of Moorhead

BadlandsBison
03-02-2011, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=Wacker_in_the_Hall;479042]Class B Hoops is the premier sporting event in North Dakota (except Bison Football) Sioux Hockey is a cult, and therefore does not count as a sport!![QUOTE]

Ever been to state wrestling?

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Dont even compare the basketball tourney to wrestling! I admire wrestlers a ton. But watching it? Rather watch old Wide World of Sports Ice Barrel Jumping!!!

10,000 fans for basketball

BadlandsBison
03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Dont even compare the basketball tourney to wrestling! I admire wrestlers a ton. But watching it? Rather watch old Wide World of Sports Ice Barrel Jumping!!!

10,000 fans for basketball

Its certainly a matter of preference! I thought high school basketball was too political. But then again, I like whining:D

sambini
03-03-2011, 01:12 AM
Love the B like a all school reunion... Good luck we will be watchn Dan Hammer call the games on The NBC Network.

SlickVic
03-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Go grovers +++++ brady holt baby that's my boy

sambini
03-03-2011, 02:28 AM
He can shoot the 3 Slick Im pullin for the Grovers. Wacker in the Hall will be there courtside seats

SlickVic
03-03-2011, 02:38 AM
He can shoot the 3 Slick Im pullin for the Grovers. Wacker in the Hall will be there courtside seats

This buds for you wacker ++++++ courtside seats big ballin baby...I got my grover 25-0 shirt today ill be sporting that all over town tommorow...hey scheels guy ima need that altered to 28-0 first the sunday morn my boy as the old saying goes proper prior planning prevents poor performance...hey barkeep round em up the grovers going for another state championship chea ++++

tjbison
03-03-2011, 02:43 AM
This buds for you wacker ++++++ courtside seats big ballin baby...I got my grover 25-0 shirt today ill be sporting that all over town tommorow...hey scheels guy ima need that altered to 28-0 first the sunday morn my boy as the old saying goes proper prior planning prevents poor performance...hey barkeep round em up the grovers going for another state championship chea ++++

This is a Awesome Post^^^^

ndsubison1
03-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Class B Hoops is the premier sporting event in North Dakota (except Bison Football) Sioux Hockey is a cult, and therefore does not count as a sport!!

Seriously Class B boys hoops is what a sporting event should be. Lots of hometown pride and passion! I am heading out west to cheer for the Grovers. They have 10 seniors on the squad, I always look for experience at this time of year. Oak Grove is the only returning team from last year.

As always there will be those cheering against "private" schools. There is also a certain anti-east feeling that materializes every year at this tournament. It all makes it great!

Go Grovers!

Go Private schools!!!

MNLonghorn10
03-03-2011, 04:34 AM
are there any B games being played at the civic? those were fun to goto a few years ago.

NorthernBison
03-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Good preview in the Forum today. Note that Standing Rock is coached by Juno Pintar.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/310781/group/homepage/

NorthernBison
03-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Afternoon session:

Trinity over Ryan 37-36
North Star over Standing Rock 69-36

IzzyFlexion
03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Good preview in the Forum today. Note that Standing Rock is coached by Juno Pintar.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/310781/group/homepage/

That would be the "Legendary" Juno Pintar.
He knows a thing or two about ND state basketball tournaments.

tony
03-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I listened to this over the interwebs thanks to 740 the Fan.

BTW, anybody know if the Don Hanson who does the basketball preview the same guy who coached Mandan High to basketball championship?

If so, he was a heck of an algebra teacher, perfect teacher for freshmen coming into high school.

stevdock
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
are there any B games being played at the civic? those were fun to goto a few years ago.

If you are talking the Fargo civic, the civic has hosted the District 2 tourney for as long as I can remember. The district is talking about trying to move it to the UP center though as they are very unhappy with how uneven the floor and hoops are at the civic. The civic also hosted a shoot-out day of basketball, where there were 4 or 5 games all played the same day.

sambini
03-04-2011, 01:11 AM

BTW, anybody know if the Don Hanson who does the basketball preview the same guy who coached Mandan High to basketball championship?

If so, he was a heck of an algebra teacher, perfect teacher for freshmen coming into high school.

Yes it is Tony. And sitn back gonna watch the Grovers...

aces1180
03-04-2011, 01:12 AM

Don has been doing the Hoopster magazine for years....He is/was a scout for the Reds, Braves and Pirates a while back.

I had Don as well...He told me in April of 1995 that Darin Erstad would be the number 1 pick in the MLB draft scheduled for that June...He also ran a NCAA pool in class for extra credit points.

bri-dog
03-04-2011, 01:15 AM
I have an uncle who taught math at Mandan High for a lot of years (don't know which math). Not sure he was as well liked...

/end hijack

ndsubison1
03-04-2011, 01:27 AM
A few thoughts:

Oak Grove-New Town should be a great game.

Jon Cole is a dufus.

Steph Goetz is a looker

ndsubison1
03-04-2011, 01:28 AM
wow Cole just name dropped Kenny Younger. He was a stud for Minot

Mr. Burgundy
03-04-2011, 01:32 AM
A few thoughts:

Oak Grove-New Town should be a great game.

Jon Cole is a dufus.

Steph Goetz is a looker

Dan Hammer....please send it back to Stephanie. She is special.

WYOBISONMAN
03-04-2011, 01:36 AM
Any webcast for the tourney?

bri-dog
03-04-2011, 01:38 AM

x2

I know I watched the championship a couple years ago when Dakota Prairie was in it, but I don't know if the whole tournament was on the web...

ndsubison1
03-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Preston Smith looks like a college player out there for New Town. He's only a junior

ndsubison1
03-04-2011, 01:47 AM

http://www.kfyrtv.com/LIVE_Coverage.asp

WYOBISONMAN
03-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks Ming.....watching now!

WYOBISONMAN
03-04-2011, 01:58 AM
And.......sorry Wacker......I am from Williston......Go New Town!;)

bri-dog
03-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the link, Ming...we'll have to have some drunken pizza someitime.:p

NorthernBison
03-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Both these teams are impressing me. #10 from New Town is fun to watch.

WYOBISONMAN
03-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Both these teams are impressing me. #10 from New Town is fun to watch.

Yes.....damn good ball!

WYOBISONMAN
03-04-2011, 02:25 AM
OG coming back like lightning.....impressive......

ndsubison1
03-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the link, Ming...we'll have to have some drunken pizza someitime.:p

ill be in sioux falls this weekend...

sambini
03-04-2011, 02:30 AM
New Town very athletic.. impressive

NorthernBison
03-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Gut Check time for the Grovers. Down 11 after 3 quarters.

WYOBISONMAN
03-04-2011, 02:43 AM
That Donovan Lambert is so hot with the 3 pointers.......

ndsubison1
03-04-2011, 02:54 AM
New Town's fast-paced style playing into the hands of Oak Grove...

NorthernBison
03-04-2011, 12:16 PM
That last game is why the Class B is so great. The kids and the fans care so much. Exciting. Intense. Really fun to watch. Yet, there was some seriously bad basketball being played. Coaches had to be shaking their heads all over the state. But it was impossible to change the channel.

Facts
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM
That last game is why the Class B is so great. The kids and the fans care so much. Exciting. Intense. Really fun to watch. Yet, there was some seriously bad basketball being played. Coaches had to be shaking their heads all over the state. But it was impossible to change the channel.

NB - do you think Cavalier is at all similar to New Town? Grafton was able to contain Cavalier twice... a very athletic bunch. Will they be able to do the same to New Town???

NorthernBison
03-04-2011, 02:03 PM
NB - do you think Cavalier is at all similar to New Town? Grafton was able to contain Cavalier twice... a very athletic bunch. Will they be able to do the same to New Town???

A big difference between Cavalier and New Town is that New Town sure doesn't appear to be very disciplined. How do you control a team that is so unpredictable? Even their coach seems to have no control over what they do.

Yes, I think Grafton CAN put the clamps on New Town. To do that, they have to avoid getting behind. If they get behind, they would be forced to open it up and they would probably get run out of the gym.

The stat that blows my mind is that Oak Grove missed 60 SHOTS last night and still only lost by 2.

GRAFTONBISON
03-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I think tonight is when North Star and New Town seperate themselves from Trinity and Grafton. Hope I am wrong though.

Good luck Spoilers.:nod:

stevdock
03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Too bad Oak Grove got such a tough draw for the second year in a row. I think they are the 3rd best team in the tourney but now the best they can get is 5th. For being the state tourney there was alot of bad basketball yesterday, including New Town. For being as athletic as they were they made some real bonehead plays. To be up 18 points and almost lose it says alot about them, but at the same time says something about Oak Grove.

One thing I am positive of after watching yesterday's games is that there were ALOT of Region 1 teams that would have beaten some of those teams in the state tourney.

Kermit
03-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Too bad Oak Grove got such a tough draw for the second year in a row. I think they are the 3rd best team in the tourney but now the best they can get is 5th. For being the state tourney there was alot of bad basketball yesterday, including New Town. For being as athletic as they were they made some real bonehead plays. To be up 18 points and almost lose it says alot about them, but at the same time says something about Oak Grove.

One thing I am positive of after watching yesterday's games is that there were ALOT of Region 1 teams that would have beaten some of those teams in the state tourney.

Oak Grove had another great season, but I am not surprised that they lost. First, they are a "donut" team without any real inside presence. Second, they can be a bit soft. In retrospect, I think they should have made an effort to "play up" a few games this season. Risking a loss or 2 against bigger schools might have helped them get ready for the tournament.

WYOBISONMAN
03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Is the high school at Grafton a good bit larger than New Town? I know they used to be Class A back when I was in ND.

NorthernBison
03-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Is the high school at Grafton a good bit larger than New Town? I know they used to be Class A back when I was in ND.

I got this from a different board. These are the 9-12 enrollments of the schools in the tournament.

Grafton - 265
New Town - 215
Linton- HMB - 184
Standing Rock - 181
Bishop Ryan - 170
Dickinson Trinity - 160
Oak Grove - 130
North Star - 82

I didn't verify these numbers so don't blame me if they are off.

WYOBISONMAN
03-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Wow......hard to believe Grafton used to be Class A! Looks like a lot of parity there when it comes to enrollment.

NorthernBison
03-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Wow......hard to believe Grafton used to be Class A! Looks like a lot of parity there when it comes to enrollment.

I might not have this totally correct but a couple years ago, there was a coop that consisted of Drayton and St. Thomas (Valley). When that wasn't viable anymore, St. Thomas (Valley) reached an agreement to coop with Edinburg. The problem was that Edinburg didn't want Drayton in the coop because of the distances involved (maybe other reasons too).

That left Drayton out in the cold. Grafton didn't want them because the enrollment at Drayton would put them into Class A. (That's why I typed this apparently meaningless Cliff Clavin type story)

Drayton eventually got in with Walhalla-Neche-Pembina (North Border). Now I hear there is some more rearranging going on but poor Drayton seems to be the ugly duckling again.

Notorious
03-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Horrible basketball, but kind of fun to watch...poor fundamentals, poor coaching, poor situational basketball, etc. It was like watching girls basketball where all the girls were tall and had short hair.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the teams practiced during the year, or were actually coached...

Oh????..they were..........????

NorthernBison
03-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Hope you are watching. North Star is putting on a clinic for Dickinson Trinity. Beating them any way they want to play. Slow. Fast. It just don't matter. This is not bad basketball.

Notorious
03-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Hope you are watching. North Star is putting on a clinic for Dickinson Trinity. Beating them any way they want to play. Slow. Fast. It just don't matter. This is not bad basketball.

Completely agree...they looked tough...and well coached.

NorthernBison
03-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Completely agree...they looked tough...and well coached.

Actually both teams played well. I don't want to trash Trinity. They just got overwhelmed.

Lindahl is very polished. I still think Hagler is a fantastic point guard. Just a Sophomore.

Facts
03-05-2011, 05:09 AM
A big difference between Cavalier and New Town is that New Town sure doesn't appear to be very disciplined. How do you control a team that is so unpredictable? Even their coach seems to have no control over what they do.

Yes, I think Grafton CAN put the clamps on New Town. To do that, they have to avoid getting behind. If they get behind, they would be forced to open it up and they would probably get run out of the gym.

The stat that blows my mind is that Oak Grove missed 60 SHOTS last night and still only lost by 2.

Nice call! Grafton 52- New town 34.

I was unable to see this game. Anybody got a quick recap?

DIBISON
03-05-2011, 06:14 AM

Good you didn't see the game. NT had only 16 points at half. Two of the semifinal teams ended up with 34 and 43 points. I think three teams yesterday in the quarterfinals ended up in the 30's.

I disagree with some of you, it's been terrible basketball. North Star looks good but you have to consider the quality of the other teams in the state tourney. ND Class B basketball needs to step up a notch or two.

ndsubison1
03-05-2011, 07:39 AM
anybody see the dunk by preston smith of new town? first dunk in a decade by a class b team

NorthernBison
03-05-2011, 11:56 AM
This has a chance to be a good Final tonight. 10 years ago Cando played North Border in the title game. Cando had TWO Lindahl kids and had beaten North Border by 35 points in December and was unbeaten. North Border avenged the earlier loss. Grafton has a chance to do the same thing.

North Star is the total package. Lindahl can play inside or outside and he's smooth. Hagler is my favorite. A great point guard who can fill it up. He's long for a Class B guard and at 6-2 can overpower smaller defenders. The other guard (Grande) has shown the ability to score a lot of points if you focus too much on Lindahl and Hagler. Swanson averaged nearly 20 points a game last year for Benson County. You can't beat them with a press because they have too many guys that can handle the ball. They also defend well.

Sounds like Grafton has no chance?

Not so fast. They are more physical than North Star. They play excellent defense. They showed last night that they can play patient on offense. Lindahl is not a strong physical player. He shouldn't be able to hurt Grafton real bad inside if they body him hard. He's not fundamentally solid on the boards. He relies on his size and doesn't always get good position.

I'd bet on North Star but they need to play well. That is infinitely harder in the final game of the season with everything on the line.

** Seriously, the team that should feel the worst about the tournament is Oak Grove. After watching New Town get punked by Grafton last night, I'm at a loss to figure out how in the heck they got by Oak Grove. I genuinely feel bad for the Grovers. They got beat by a combination of factors that wouldn't happen again if they played New Town 100 more times.

NDSUmulligan
03-05-2011, 01:49 PM
anybody see the dunk by preston smith of new town? first dunk in a decade by a class b team

I'm guessing you never watched the tourney last year when Cavalier's Brandon Chrest (a TE walk on for the Bison) dunked at will.

SlickVic
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM

No...I seen the highlight of veegs throwin one down tho that was sick lol

NorthernBison
03-05-2011, 02:22 PM

1. New Town's concept of offense is for all 5 players to line up around the 3 point line and whoever gets an open look shoots the ball. They basically don't change this philosophy much during the game. Occasionally, a player MIGHT drive to the lane and kick it out to somebody who shoots it.

2. New Town has a fuzzy concept of defense. Apparently, the best way to defend is to let the offensive player go by you and then reach around from behind to slap the ball away.

3. New Town has zero physical presence. They don't seem to want to bang in the paint or body up to get position on a rebound. They tend to rely on their leaping ability which varies greatly from individual to individual.

4. I think I saw only one New Town player on the floor all game. Wells hit the floor quite often because his main tactic is to flop over every time somebody breathes on him. It does work because he draws whistles all the time from the officials. Other than that, every loose ball on the floor went to Grafton.

5. Preston Smith from New Town has some decent physical skills. Apparently, his hearing isn't that great. The coach was telling him to take the ball inside and he never really did much of that. The steal and dunk at the end of the third quarter was mildly entertaining. Too little, too late.

6. New Town QUIT when they got down early in the 3rd quarter. Grafton started the second half on a 10-0 run after leading by 8 at the half. I know that is a serious charge but that's what happened.

Grafton simply came out from the start of the game and contested every shot when they were on defense. They rebounded almost every miss except for the long caroms. They ran a patient offense but nothing like a stall. Whoever had a good shot, took it and they shot well. I know they only had 3 turnovers in the first half. Game total wasn't excessive. Just steady and consistent basketball by a disciplined well-coached team.

New Town was exactly the opposite.

NorthernBison
03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
No...I seen the highlight of veegs throwin one down tho that was sick lol

Hey, saw that too.

KVLY showed a clip of the kid from Oak Grove who missed the tournament last year (Holt?). They showed him flushing one in practice two hands behind the head.

sambini
03-05-2011, 03:20 PM
That is Evan Holt from Oak Grove. Kid has some hopss... Grafton-Northstar did they play this year?

NorthernBison
03-05-2011, 03:32 PM
That is Evan Holt from Oak Grove. Kid has some hopss... Grafton-Northstar did they play this year?

12-16-10 At Grafton. Score was 71-41.

Grafton is playing better basketball now. I don't expect the same kind of game.

JSUBison
03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
This has a chance to be a good Final tonight. 10 years ago Cando played North Border in the title game. Cando had TWO Lindahl kids and had beaten North Border by 35 points in December and was unbeaten. North Border avenged the earlier loss. Grafton has a chance to do the same thing.

North Star is the total package. Lindahl can play inside or outside and he's smooth. Hagler is my favorite. A great point guard who can fill it up. He's long for a Class B guard and at 6-2 can overpower smaller defenders. The other guard (Grande) has shown the ability to score a lot of points if you focus too much on Lindahl and Hagler. Swanson averaged nearly 20 points a game last year for Benson County. You can't beat them with a press because they have too many guys that can handle the ball. They also defend well.

Sounds like Grafton has no chance?

Not so fast. They are more physical than North Star. They play excellent defense. They showed last night that they can play patient on offense. Lindahl is not a strong physical player. He shouldn't be able to hurt Grafton real bad inside if they body him hard. He's not fundamentally solid on the boards. He relies on his size and doesn't always get good position.

I'd bet on North Star but they need to play well. That is infinitely harder in the final game of the season with everything on the line.

** Seriously, the team that should feel the worst about the tournament is Oak Grove. After watching New Town get punked by Grafton last night, I'm at a loss to figure out how in the heck they got by Oak Grove. I genuinely feel bad for the Grovers. They got beat by a combination of factors that wouldn't happen again if they played New Town 100 more times.

Agree 100%.

I wouldn't be suprised to see them lose to Grafton. NS seems to fold in big games. But I'm sure NS needs no reminding on the North Border game. This team is more balanced then the one that lost in the championship game against Border. Evan Lindahl pretty much carried that team, but this years team has multiple guys who can step up, namely Hagler.

I can't imagine how horrible they'll feel though if they do. There is no reason to lose a game to a team you previously blew out of the gym. North Star will have all the pressure, but if there is a time to make a statement and show no mercy, this is it. North Star better come out and play with the attitude that it's the 4th quarter and they're down by 8, and play like that the entire game.

NDSUmulligan
03-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Agree 100%.

I wouldn't be suprised to see them lose to Grafton. NS seems to fold in big games.

Just curious, what makes you say NS seems to fold in big games? Their undefeated this year. This years team isn't the same as past teams...is it the coach your referring to? I'm honestly curious?

MN_BISON
03-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Giving a shout out to old Region 3, let's go Spoilers. Of course back then Grafton was class A and I believe it's region 2 now, oh well. Grafton had a heck of a team back in 86, David Robertson, Rickie K and Wade Herbal. David went on to become the all time leading rebounder at UND, Richie went on to LSU and sat behind Shaq for a few years then got a little time and Wade attended more colleges than anyone I know, pretty sure he kicked for the Bison for a time. If my memory is right, I think they were the top rated team in Class A that year but layed an egg in the state tournament.

JSUBison
03-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Just curious, what makes you say NS seems to fold in big games? Their undefeated this year. This years team isn't the same as past teams...is it the coach your referring to? I'm honestly curious?

Not meaning this year, but just a historical generalization. Like Northernbison said about the championship back in the early 2000's, and last year against Carrington. I'm not dogging either coach that took them to state, just saying they've yet to get over the hump despite playing heads and shoulders above most competition they faced.

But that's why HS basketball is so compelling I guess, the unpredictability.

NorthernBison
03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Tonight is a chance for North Star to erase the ghosts from last year. The media has played up the fact that this team has talked about losing to Carrington in the Region Final and then having to watch that Carrington team win it all. Everything has built up to this for a full year. I would not be at all surprised if they came out tight to start.

For the Lindahl family it is really a chance to erase the ghosts of the past. Grant's father coached that team that went undefeated into the Championship game against North Border in 2001. His two brothers (Evan and Jonathan) played on that team. I have no attachement to Cando whatsoever but I would like to see them get this one.

FYI, Coach Lindahl was the coach in Walhalla before moving to Cando. That game in 2001 was really a type of grudge match on both sides (not really hateful but the tensions were higher than most Championship games)

JSUBison
03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Tonight is a chance for North Star to erase the ghosts from last year. The media has played up the fact that this team has talked about losing to Carrington in the Region Final and then having to watch that Carrington team win it all. Everything has built up to this for a full year. I would not be at all surprised if they came out tight to start.

For the Lindahl family it is really a chance to erase the ghosts of the past. Grant's father coached that team that went undefeated into the Championship game against North Border in 2001. His two brothers (Evan and Jonathan) played on that team. I have no attachement to Cando whatsoever but I would like to see them get this one.

FYI, Coach Lindahl was the coach in Walhalla before moving to Cando. That game in 2001 was really a type of grudge match on both sides (not really hateful but the tensions were higher than most Championship games)

Do you know where Grant is going for school? Evan went to UND, and I think Jonathan played for VCSU.

I hope Hagler keeps progressing, he is a baller. Would like to see him get a spot on NDSU's roster in a couple years.

NorthernBison
03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Do you know where Grant is going for school? Evan went to UND, and I think Jonathan played for VCSU.

I hope Hagler keeps progressing, he is a baller. Would like to see him get a spot on NDSU's roster in a couple years.

I have not heard if Grant has made any decisions. The ties to UND are pretty strong since his Dad and Evan both played there. I have no idea how hard he is being recruited. I see him as a bit of a project. Strength and aggressive physical play are things I haven't seen from him.

Hagler has gotten much stronger and more assertive. He was the starting point guard on the team that made the State Tournament 2 years ago. That's pretty impressive for an 8th grader. He plays ball all Summer so plenty of teams get to watch him. If he progresses, there will be plenty of interest in him. Whatever level of college ball he is capable of reaching will be determined in the next two Summers.

MN_BISON
03-05-2011, 08:38 PM

I love all the North Border talk, Go Bandits!! Errrrrrr, I mean Eagles but they'll always be the Bandits to me. I don't recall Lindahl being forced out in fact I thought he was gone before Walhalla even entered the original North Border co-op between Neche and Pembina but I could be wrong about that.

NorthernBison
03-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I love all the North Border talk, Go Bandits!! Errrrrrr, I mean Eagles but they'll always be the Bandits to me. I don't recall Lindahl being forced out in fact I thought he was gone before Walhalla even entered the original North Border co-op between Neche and Pembina but I could be wrong about that.

He wasn't forced out at all and it was before the co-op. The tension back in 2001 was simply because of the previous ties. No hate or anything like that. It's just a different level of rivalry when you know the opponent that well.

Kind of like Grafton and North Star tonight. They know each other. It's different than playing some school you might have never played before.

SlickVic
03-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Live from sioux falls south dakota this buds for you northernbison ++++++ bearcats baby

IzzyFlexion
03-06-2011, 01:06 AM
I have no attachement to Cando whatsoever but I would like to see them get this one.

Live from sioux falls south dakota this buds for you northernbison ++++++ bearcats baby

Ahhhhh, pardon me there SlickZilla. I DO have ties to Cando. (Dad and bro live there and his kids go to HS there). My brother's son started the season with the 'Cats but had to bow out because of an injury.
Where's my goddamn bud!?!?

MN_BISON
03-06-2011, 01:26 AM
One quarter complete, NS 18 Grafton 15.

MN_BISON
03-06-2011, 02:21 AM
NS 53 Grafton 48 with about 3:30 to play.

sambini
03-06-2011, 02:31 AM
NS 60 TO 55 13 seconds left

stevdock
03-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Will NBC please stop trying to interview the kids on the losing team?? The kids don't want to do it, and it has got to be absolutely horrible for 16-18 year olds to be talking immediately after the season goals are over.

NorthernBison
03-06-2011, 02:41 AM
Final 63-55.

Quite a scrap. North Star started the game with a 14-0 run but Grafton fought back to trail by only one at the half. Grafton had a lead part way through the 4th quarter.

Ultimately, Hagler came up huge when it counted. That kid is going to be fun to watch for two more years in District 8. I'm sure our HS team can count on a few more losses engineered by him and Grande but who cares when you get to watch such fine players.

herdmember
03-06-2011, 04:46 AM
Foul trouble killed Grafton as well. They should be interesting again next year returning 4 senior starters.

SlickVic
03-06-2011, 06:03 AM
This buds for you izzy +++++ last call...can I get a hot tub????

IzzyFlexion
03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
This buds for you izzy +++++ last call...can I get a hot tub????

Thanks pal.
Sorry for getting all uppity.
Hope your hangover management goes well. My advice.....a couple of Sioux Falls hookers giving you the "Full" rubdown, 5 Advil every 3 hours, and 2 bloody marys after your first bowel movement. Believe me......you don't want to get into the hot tub until after that last step.

WYOBISONMAN
03-06-2011, 03:00 PM
North Star is the CLASS of Class B! What an impressive game. Congrats to all those folks from the heart of North Dakota durum country!!!!!

JSUBison
03-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Glad to see North Star finally get a title. I think Grafton returns 4 starters next year, could be an early favorite. Hopefully this game will show up on the internet so I can watch it.

Also North Star was the smallest school at state this year, and Grafton the largest.

Notorious
03-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Cando Can!!

HandoEX
03-07-2011, 03:17 PM
I watched a few minutes of the Oak Grove - New Town game a few nights ago. It was one of the worst high school games I have ever seen. Growing up in another state, I can't say I've ever watched small town ND basketball before. I thought maybe it was like a district play-in game or something until this morning when I heard on the radio that New Town won third place at state and Oak Grove won the consilation title. Wow, some terrible, terrible basketball in that game.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I watched a few minutes of the Oak Grove - New Town game a few nights ago. It was one of the worst high school games I have ever seen. Growing up in another state, I can't say I've ever watched small town ND basketball before. I thought maybe it was like a district play-in game or something until this morning when I heard on the radio that New Town won third place at state and Oak Grove won the consilation title. Wow, some terrible, terrible basketball in that game.

These are 16 to 18 yr old kids out there. I was at the game and I thought it was exciting and interesting. New Town played about as good as they can, Oak Grove shot 27% from the field. But down the stretch, the game was exciting and emotional, everything that the NBA is not. I have been to many regular season NBA games....I will take State Class B anyday

Mr. Burgundy
03-08-2011, 02:15 AM
If Oak Grove would potentially post ANYONE up, it may help. Chuck and duck offense kills you eventually. I was really pulling for them, and they had some good athletes out there. Holt was terrific. Tough loss. Good kids.

ndsubison1
03-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Class A State Championships on tonight. Fargo Shanley vs. Fargo North in the Girls and Bismarck vs. Bismarck Century for Boys. There's some good players on both BHS and Century. Should be a good game. Both teams have good size. BHS has a pair of 6'7 posts in Dexter Werner and Leighton Talmadge (NDSU fball walk-on) and 6'3 guard Dewayne Liggins. Century has NDSU QB recruit Carson Wentz and 6'6 Chris Rivinius.

SlickVic
03-13-2011, 03:16 AM
The steve miller band get that fool on the bisons bench asap somebody text saul...ming or mr kyro u ever play for that fool he defines the word intense what a great basketball mind my oh my

DjKyRo
03-13-2011, 03:25 AM
Miller is the dirtiest coach in North Dakota, trust me Slick. Guy can coach but believe me when I say NDSU wants zero to do with him.

Gotta give some ups to CHS, playing for a first-time title. I think I graduated with older siblings of at least half the team. Takes me back to the days when my grandparents would take me to games to watch Jordan Engel, Kenyan Wingenbach, etc. Great times.

SlickVic
03-13-2011, 03:40 AM
Miller is the dirtiest coach in North Dakota, trust me Slick. Guy can coach but believe me when I say NDSU wants zero to do with him.

Gotta give some ups to CHS, playing for a first-time title. I think I graduated with older siblings of at least half the team. Takes me back to the days when my grandparents would take me to games to watch Jordan Engel, Kenyan Wingenbach, etc. Great times.

What's so dirty about him I wanna run thru a wall right now for that fool and I'm just whatching on tv lol

ndsubison1
03-13-2011, 04:39 AM
The steve miller band get that fool on the bisons bench asap somebody text saul...ming or mr kyro u ever play for that fool he defines the word intense what a great basketball mind my oh my

Never played for him but played against him. Miller is a great coach. Best HS coach in the state. No questions. He would be a great assistant somewhere in college. He'll stay at BHS til he retires. He's been offered numerous college coaching jobs.