PDA

View Full Version : What would it take for NDSU to join the AAU?

TheBisonator
02-15-2011, 12:38 AM
I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

The AAU (Association of American Universities) consists of the top 65 (or 70?) national, doctoral-extensive research universities in the US. NDSU's mission falls in line with the schools in the AAU. NDSU, I believe was recently ranked among the top 100 research universities in the nation, if I recall. What would it specifically take on NDSU's end to improve itself and make a good case for joining the AAU? Meaning, double the research budget and economic impact, number of professors, number of PhD's, etc??

And how far away do you think this could happen??

(For the record: I don't want to hear any small-time thinking responses of, "Are you crazy?? Little old NDSU will NEVER be in the AAU, and you're in idiot for thinking that!!!" Similar things were said about the DI move many years ago, and we know how that storybook ended.)

BlueBisonRock
02-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Bisonator, I am actually quite interested in the answer to this question and have absolutely no neg thoughts on the question. I see part of a benefit statement (top national etc) but would also like to better understand the benefits of this designation. Yes, what would it take? (I have absolutely no idea but am confident someone on this board does. )

Thanks for asking.

I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

The AAU (Association of American Universities) consists of the top 65 (or 70?) national, doctoral-extensive research universities in the US. NDSU's mission falls in line with the schools in the AAU. NDSU, I believe was recently ranked among the top 100 research universities in the nation, if I recall. What would it specifically take on NDSU's end to improve itself and make a good case for joining the AAU? Meaning, double the research budget and economic impact, number of professors, number of PhD's, etc??

And how far away do you think this could happen??

(For the record: I don't want to hear any small-time thinking responses of, "Are you crazy?? Little old NDSU will NEVER be in the AAU, and you're in idiot for thinking that!!!" Similar things were said about the DI move many years ago, and we know how that storybook ended.)

Bison bison
02-15-2011, 01:43 AM
NDSU will never be in the in the AAU.

We are a great school. We have strong teaching, research, and extension.

AAU schools are world class, NDSU is not and probably never will be.

To join, NDSU would have to establish itself as a peer of member institutions. The legislature would never let this happen. They don't understand why we educate scientists and not welders for heaven's sake.

This is not saying we could not do if supported, but rather that can not do it because the state would not allow it.

NorthernBison
02-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I think we need to drastically increase the number of hipsters in Fargo before we even think of going this direction.

TbonZach
02-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I think we need to drastically increase the number of hipsters in Fargo before we even think of going this direction.

And decrease the number of broken hipsters.

Twentysix
02-16-2011, 11:39 PM

If you look under the right rocks, there are quite a few hipsters in the area. Most of them live on the Moorhead side of the river though.