PDA

View Full Version : Crushing Souls Since 1976 - NDSU Club Rugby

DjKyRo
02-09-2011, 03:04 PM
http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=559

A popular motto in the annals of sports is that “soccer is a gentleman’s sports played by gentlemen; football is a beast’s sport played by beasts; rugby is a gentleman’s sport played by beasts.”

This line of thinking has certainly held true for the Lost Boys, NDSU’s Club Rugby team, as strong divisional play last fall has placed them in the national tournament for their sport.

Cool wrote-up on one of the lesser-followed sports on campus, club rugby. These guys are intense.

bri-dog
02-09-2011, 03:10 PM
No quotes from RunTheOption??:p

Civil06
02-09-2011, 03:15 PM
http://bisonillustrated.com/s.php?s=559

Cool wrote-up on one of the lesser-followed sports on campus, club rugby. These guys are intense.

Where'd you get that quote?? :D Good article by the way.

runtheoption
02-09-2011, 03:39 PM
No quotes from RunTheOption??:p

It was only a matter of time until I found this thread. Good for these guys, I hope they make a deep run in the DIII national playoffs and get bumped to DII.

It was around 97-98, we won the MN conference (getting by the UofM and I think SCSU), and qualified for the Midwest Regional where we would have gone up against Ohio State or Purdue, or something like that. We didn't go due to finances or player availability. So it goes for club sports.

The next big Olympic sport will 7's rugby, as they are in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio De Janeiro. Check out the Las Vegas 7's on NBC this weekend on Saturday from 2:30-5:00 PM and Sunday from 3:30-5:00 PM. These are the teams you will likely see qualify for the 2016 Olympics. You will see some hella good athletes out there running around the pitch. Lots of big hits and fast paced action.

coldspot
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM
even though I'm not sure of what's going on in a game of rugby, it's still fun to watch.

TheBisonator
02-09-2011, 09:04 PM
You know what's a real fun game (but also kind of a fruity game)?? Aussie Rules Football. Entertaining to watch, but the uniforms the players wear are kind of... not good.

http://cdn1.theroar.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/brady-rawlings.jpg

runtheoption
02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Bump and reminder:

Check out the Las Vegas 7's on NBC this weekend on Saturday from 2:30-5:00 PM and Sunday from 3:30-5:00 PM. These are the teams you will likely see qualify for the 2016 Olympics. You will see some hella good athletes out there running around the pitch. Lots of big hits and fast paced action.

More info here: http://www.usasevens.com/fan-festival/match-schedule--results.aspx

ndsubison1
02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
rugby: where unathletic and uncoordinated former high school football players play. ;)

BlueBisonRock
02-11-2011, 11:19 PM
rugby: where unathletic and uncoordinated former high school football players play. ;)

I had the privilege of working out with the NDSU Rugby club team back when it was first forming up. Let me assure you that these gentlemen are well conditioned and athletic with more coordination than you have demonstrated (well, my basis is the ability demonstrated during tailgating...).

IMHO, Rugby players are better conditioned than Football players though not as well conditioned as Wrestlers.

runtheoption
02-12-2011, 02:17 PM

Well, the saying is there is spot for all shapes and sizes on the pitch, including those that "rest" on the pavement in tailgate lots...

There is a big push with USA Rugby to get recruit collegiate athletes (mainly football) that don't make it pro in their respective sports, with the thought being it will make the US National team (The Eagles) more competitive on the world stage. This push, along with the chance to get an Olympic medal and continued development of youth rugby, will hopefully help push the US to a consistent top 10 nation.

The US needs to develop a professional structure if it intends to consistently, or ever, beat the rugby superpowers (NZ, Austraila, S. Africa, England, France, Argentina, Ireland, Wales, and Scotland).

56BISON73
02-12-2011, 04:01 PM
I like watching rugby. They do every thing a football player does and they do it without pads. Much respect to those that play the game.

DjKyRo
02-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Something else that really got to me as I was writing this was that they've built all their own facilities - they put together field stuff (goalposts, OOB lines, etc.) out of plain PVC pipe to practice with and only just recently raised the money for and built actual metallic posts and bleachers so people could come watch their games. If anyone's interested I would highly recommend contacting the guys and making a small donation or purchasing a t-shirt to help support this club sport, they love what they're doing and getting just a little support for that would mean the world to them.

runtheoption
02-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I like watching rugby. They do every thing a football player does and they do it without pads. Much respect to those that play the game.

Isn't that what it was like when you played football? :D

56BISON73
02-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Isn't that what it was like when you played football? :D

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll Ummmmmm Let me think?????? It was soooooo long ago?
Hey I think youre right.:D

BlueBisonRock
02-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll Ummmmmm Let me think?????? It was soooooo long ago?
Hey I think youre right.:D

Not quite correct PL. You wore the leather helmets.

56BISON73
02-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Not quite correct PL. You wore the leather helmets.

We wore helments?????

BlueBisonRock
02-12-2011, 11:49 PM
We wore helments?????

When it rained. . . . .

TheBisonator
02-13-2011, 03:57 AM
Something else that really got to me as I was writing this was that they've built all their own facilities - they put together field stuff (goalposts, OOB lines, etc.) out of plain PVC pipe to practice with and only just recently raised the money for and built actual metallic posts and bleachers so people could come watch their games. If anyone's interested I would highly recommend contacting the guys and making a small donation or purchasing a t-shirt to help support this club sport, they love what they're doing and getting just a little support for that would mean the world to them.

Wait, are you talking about this is what NDSU's club team has recently done, with the pvc goalposts and metal bleachers?? If so, bravo to them. It's rare to find any type of rugby facility of any kind anywhere within the US's borders (whether makeshift or permanent).

steelbison
03-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Rugby is a great sport! I played two years at NDSU and that is all my body could take. I cracked a rib, dislocated my shoulder, tore my rotator cuff, and had my earlob torn. At that time I decided if I wanted to not walk with a limp I decided to hang up the cleats.

Rugby is great because after each match you party with the other team. I met a lot of great guys and gals and the parties were legendary.

Not sure if they still have it but every spriing there was a 7's tournament for non rugby players. That was my first intro into rugby and one of our matches was against Joe Ranier. We ended up winning(not sure how) as he was bigger than all seven of us combined!

runtheoption
03-30-2011, 08:47 PM
The Lost Boys are in the DIII Sweet Sixteen, playing at Wayne St. against Occidental College this weekend. If they win on Saturday, they play again on Sunday against the winner of Wayne State vs. some Texas team.

If they win that, they advance to the Final Four on April 30th in Virginia Beach, VA.

Also, they have a triangular set up for April 9th against USD and SDSU at the Lost Boys home pitch, which is on campus. Then, SNAFU is set for April 23. That used to be the 7's tourney that was used to introduce the game to newbies...I am not sure of the format now.

runtheoption
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Nice article by Kolpack.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/314347/group/Sports/

I slightly disagree with the club President's comment of rugby players being tougher than football players. I wouldn't say "tougher", just different. It is kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

DjKyRo
04-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Nice article by Kolpack.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/314347/group/Sports/

I slightly disagree with the club President's comment of rugby players being tougher than football players. I wouldn't say "tougher", just different. It is kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

"More insane" is probably a good way to put it. :D

Civil06
04-01-2011, 03:40 PM
If anybody follows world rugby, you should start reading this site: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/

This fall, New Zealand is hosting the Rugby World Cup. The USA and Canada qualified. I've got my All Blacks jersey ready but hope the US can upset a few teams. In December, I got to see some of the host sites and it's gonna be a sweet tournament. If anybody has a bunch of money, time off, loves rugby, and wants to go to NZ, going to this would be the trip of a lifetime.

BadlandsBison
04-01-2011, 05:31 PM
If anybody follows world rugby, you should start reading this site: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/

This fall, New Zealand is hosting the Rugby World Cup. The USA and Canada qualified. I've got my All Blacks jersey ready but hope the US can upset a few teams. In December, I got to see some of the host sites and it's gonna be a sweet tournament. If anybody has a bunch of money, time off, loves rugby, and wants to go to NZ, going to this would be the trip of a lifetime.

Does it usually come down to England, Scotland, and Ireland? I don't think America has ever beaten any of those teams.

bisonpride4ever
04-01-2011, 05:59 PM
South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia are the dominating forces in Rugby. Other than England in 2003, these three countries have won all the World Cups since 1987. England is one of the powers but they always seems to meet their match when they play the "Big 3" France and Argentina are also top countries. Argentina really came on in 2007 and surprised a lot of people by beating France not once but twice on their own soil. The US team in one of the "minnows" in the field but they are getting much better. In Rugby you have two types of games, you have the Rugby Union which is played with 15 players which is what the world cup plays and then you have the Rugby Sevens which is 7 a side. The US is much better at Sevens then at Rugby Union. When Rugby becomes an Olympic sport, it will be a Rugby Sevens tournament. Other than beating France almost 100 years ago, the US hasn't defeated any of the traditional rugby powers. But as was stated earlier, with the advent of Rugby Sevens and its inclusion in the Olympics, I think the US will get better. Another problem is lack facilities not just in Fargo, but pretty much everywhere.

runtheoption
04-01-2011, 06:49 PM
If anybody has a bunch of money, time off, loves rugby, and wants to go to NZ, going to this would be the trip of a lifetime.

I have 2 out of 4 covered. Can I write a check?

Does it usually come down to England, Scotland, and Ireland? I don't think America has ever beaten any of those teams.

bisonpride4ever summed it up pretty well. The USA will not win the World Cup, and I think the only pool play match the USA could win is against Russia.

I would add that Ireland may suprise some people. They seem to be peaking at the right time, with the right mix of tough defense and ball control offense, which is just like the recipe for success we have seen countless times in the NFL playoffs. They allowed only 4 tries (touchdowns) in 5 games during the Six Nations (Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy) that just finished up 2 weeks ago and they beat England in the final match.

Other than the USA, I'll be pulling for England to bring home the Cup.

BadlandsBison
04-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Assuming they made the world cup, I'll root for Scotland.

This ones for Sean...Connery

bisonpride4ever
04-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Scotland did qualify. I looked at the pools and there is possibly 1 game the US could have a good chance of winning and that's against Russia, they are also grouped with Italy, Australia, and Ireland

Southern Bison
02-25-2012, 07:11 PM
It was only a matter of time until I found this thread. Good for these guys, I hope they make a deep run in the DIII national playoffs and get bumped to DII.

It was around 97-98, we won the MN conference (getting by the UofM and I think SCSU), and qualified for the Midwest Regional where we would have gone up against Ohio State or Purdue, or something like that. We didn't go due to finances or player availability. So it goes for club sports.

The next big Olympic sport will 7's rugby, as they are in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio De Janeiro. Check out the Las Vegas 7's on NBC this weekend on Saturday from 2:30-5:00 PM and Sunday from 3:30-5:00 PM. These are the teams you will likely see qualify for the 2016 Olympics. You will see some hella good athletes out there running around the pitch. Lots of big hits and fast paced action.

I remember that 97-98 season...it was such a rush to win the MN conference in that mud pit at Fort Snelling!! Thank god I didn't have to do my Zulu dance in the rain. The great thing about the group was we worked as a team to improve the organization, took turns car-pooling to Mankato, Brookings, St. Johns, & Mpls. I remember playing USD in Brookings and waking up Sunday morning to a full-blown blizzard! None of us had money for an extra night at the hotel so we stayed at the USD club's "rugby house".