PDA

View Full Version : where FBS D1 recruits come from

lakesbison
02-08-2011, 04:40 AM
http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1182411

345 from texas

2 from north dakota?? thats wrong right?

EndZoneQB
02-08-2011, 05:10 AM
Who is the other one?

Twentysix
02-08-2011, 05:37 AM
Who is the other one?

I did the math, works out to about 21 kids per recruiting class which sounds about right. They must be including JC transfers in there stats. One of the NDSCS kids must be a ND naitive.

ndsubison1
02-08-2011, 05:43 AM
I did the math, works out to about 21 kids per recruiting class which sounds about right. They must be including JC transfers in there stats. One of the NDSCS kids must be a ND naitive.

i dont think any of the NDSCS transfers who went DI is from ND

Twentysix
02-08-2011, 05:43 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/player?id=118610&_slug_=matt-williams&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fcol lege-football%2frecruiting%2fplayer%3fid%3d118610%26_sl ug_%3dmatt-williams

Yeah definetly including juco transfers, this guys from Wahpeton and is commited to Cal + conner mcgovern.

Twentysix
02-08-2011, 05:44 AM
i dont think any of the NDSCS transfers who went DI is from ND

Matt williams is according to ESPN.

ndsubison1
02-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Matt williams is according to ESPN.

Williams is from the UK

http://www.ndscs.nodak.edu/athletics/detail.asp?newsID=115

Twentysix
02-08-2011, 05:48 AM
I figured it out.

Kids from England, so they put the location of the college as his hometown, but it explains the 2 out of ND on lakes stat sheet. He was definetly counted as ND talent, but is actually from the UK.

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/42037/

Twentysix
02-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Williams is from the UK

http://www.ndscs.nodak.edu/athletics/detail.asp?newsID=115

But ESPN lists his hometown as wap. And is probably why he was counted as being from ND.

Matt Williams

Offensive Tackle

CLASS: 2011

Wahpeton, ND
Hometown

North Dakota State College of Sci.
School

6'6"
Height

285 lbs
Weight

Overall Rank

JUCO
Position Rank

Twentysix
02-08-2011, 05:50 AM
In reality the sheet should only say 1, but well keep that our secret.

ndsubison1
02-08-2011, 05:54 AM
I figured it out.

Kids from England, so they put the location of the college as his hometown, but it explains the 2 out of ND on lakes stat sheet. He was definetly counted as ND talent, but is actually from the UK.

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/42037/

i win!

ten char

Twentysix
02-08-2011, 05:56 AM
i win!

ten char

Yeap, now you get to go buy me McDonalds. Commercials are very informative, without them I wouldnt of even known the rules to this game.

IndyBison
02-08-2011, 01:12 PM
The part that struck me as odd was the low ratio of FBS signees from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa, three states where we also recruit. Only 11 from Minnesota? That doesn't seem possible. It seems like there should be more talent coming from Minnesota. I guess that's why the Gophers continue to struggle and we can tap into that next tier of players which must be much more common in the state.

Indiana isn't known as a football state (although it's becoming much more so thanks to a guy named Peyton) but it has nearly 3 times the number of FBS signees with a similar population. And the people here are talking about this being a down year for talent.

For those of you who follow Minnesota high school football, is this an accurate measure of the talent or is the state being overlooked even by it's own university?

tjbison
02-08-2011, 01:19 PM
The part that struck me as odd was the low ratio of FBS signees from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa, three states where we also recruit. Only 11 from Minnesota? That doesn't seem possible. It seems like there should be more talent coming from Minnesota. I guess that's why the Gophers continue to struggle and we can tap into that next tier of players which must be much more common in the state.

Indiana isn't known as a football state (although it's becoming much more so thanks to a guy named Peyton) but it has nearly 3 times the number of FBS signees with a similar population. And the people here are talking about this being a down year for talent.

For those of you who follow Minnesota high school football, is this an accurate measure of the talent or is the state being overlooked even by it's own university?

Minnesota was down this year on Talent which would explain that

EndZoneQB
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Minnesota was down this year on Talent which would explain that

Yeah, from what I understand it was wayyy down. Next year should be a good year. Also, the difference may be in quality over quantity. Usually, Minnesota has a couple of big name recruits, and the rest of the FBS kids go to Big Ten schools. You don't hear a lot ending up at bottom of the barrel SunBelt/MAC teams very often. NDSU/SDSU/UNI might also be stealing a few borderline "mid-major" type FBS recruits to skew the number a tad bit too.

rutlandbison
02-08-2011, 01:37 PM
It should be three if they put where the college is as his hometown. One to Cal, one to Florida State, and Conner McGovern.

tjbison
02-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, from what I understand it was wayyy down. Next year should be a good year. Also, the difference may be in quality over quantity. Usually, Minnesota has a couple of big name recruits, and the rest of the FBS kids go to Big Ten schools. You don't hear a lot ending up at bottom of the barrel SunBelt/MAC teams very often. NDSU/SDSU/UNI might also be stealing a few borderline "mid-major" type FBS recruits to skew the number a tad bit too.

Yeah, from what I hear next year is loaded. Should be another year for NDSU to get the Vraa's, Turner etc. type players that roll under the radar

BisonNeil
02-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah, from what I hear next year is loaded. Should be another year for NDSU to get the Vraa's, Turner etc. type players that roll under the radar

This worries me, actually. The players you stated, along with Olson and others, probably roll under the radar for used car salesmen like Brewster but I doubt very much they will miss the eagle eye of Kill and his staff.

Kill has already gotten a couple of guys to walk on or grayshirt that would otherwise have gotten FCS scholarships. If Kill becomes successful, the kind of guys we got in 2010 from MN may want to walk on and earn a scholie rather than go the FCS route. Hope I am wrong, but it concerns me.

SDbison
02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
This worries me, actually. The players you stated, along with Olson and others, probably roll under the radar for used car salesmen like Brewster but I doubt very much they will miss the eagle eye of Kill and his staff.

Kill has already gotten a couple of guys to walk on or grayshirt that would otherwise have gotten FCS scholarships. If Kill becomes successful, the kind of guys we got in 2010 from MN may want to walk on and earn a scholie rather than go the FCS route. Hope I am wrong, but it concerns me.
Exactly my concern. So if a recruit walks on or grey shirts for Minnesota and things don't work out a kid might see the field very little or none at all. This versus being able to have a good chance of playing at a great FCS program like NDSU (lots of fans, great facilities, still near home).
Do any of the walk ons that are rejected or decide being on the practice team is not enough, eventually end up going to a nearby FCS school? Seems there are lots of FBS walk ons / grey shirts that turn down FCS scholarships, but you rarely hear of them changing their mind. Do most of these guys just fade into nothing because the chances of walking on, making the team and eventually starting is quite low. Seems like a waste of talent, but obviously a potential gain for a big time school. Of course Minnesota doesn't have much of a winning tradition so I am suprised at the number of walk ons / grey shirts. Is Kill promising something that may backfire if few of the walk ons make the team and / or Minnesota continues their mediocre ways?

Tatanka
02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Exactly my concern. So if a recruit walks on or grey shirts for Minnesota and things don't work out a kid might see the field very little or none at all. This versus being able to have a good chance of playing at a great FCS program like NDSU (lots of fans, great facilities, still near home).
Do any of the walk ons that are rejected or decide being on the practice team is not enough, eventually end up going to a nearby FCS school? Seems there are lots of FBS walk ons / grey shirts that turn down FCS scholarships, but you rarely hear of them changing their mind. Do most of these guys just fade into nothing because the chances of walking on, making the team and eventually starting is quite low. Seems like a waste of talent, but obviously a potential gain for a big time school. Of course Minnesota doesn't have much of a winning tradition so I am suprised at the number of walk ons / grey shirts. Is Kill promising something that may backfire if few of the walk ons make the team and / or Minnesota continues their mediocre ways?

This. Make no mistake, the U of M has a coach now instead of a snake oil merchant. there will be changes coming to recruiting in Minnesota.

SDbison
02-08-2011, 06:37 PM
This. Make no mistake, the U of M has a coach now instead of a snake oil merchant. there will be changes coming to recruiting in Minnesota.
Walk on is a great way to give a last ditch chance for a kid to get on the team, but 90% of these guys don't make it. What happens to them? Do they try to get on a FCS team later or are they now stuck as the next years recruiting class becomes the focus?
Any chance one of the kids NDSU wanted in this years class just doesn't cut it at Minnesota due to too much talent at that position, etc. and NDSU can pick him up later?

rutlandbison
02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Walk on is a great way to give a last ditch chance for a kid to get on the team, but 90% of these guys don't make it. What happens to them? Do they try to get on a FCS team later or are they now stuck as the next years recruiting class becomes the focus?
Any chance one of the kids NDSU wanted in this years class just doesn't cut it at Minnesota due to too much talent at that position, etc. and NDSU can pick him up later?
I really hope this is what happens some of the time. Maybe a kid will go in thinking he can make it and then transfers because of too much talent. I'm always wondering why we don't ever get transfers from the U of M. Hopefully we can get some.

EndZoneQB
02-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Someone else brought up Kill ending up being successful...I think that would end up being a positive for NDSU. If Minnesota all of a sudden becomes a top 4-5 Big10 program, don't you think they will start to reach for higher end talent, which in turn will leave some of the bubble players out of the mix? Obviously, everything is speculation. Either way, they still aren't going to get every Turner/Vraa/Olson type player in Minnesota, there should still be enough to go around me thinks.

And as for your last statement, that seems like the strongest chance of getting FBS transfers - from the Goophers.

tjbison
02-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Yes true, but the high level talent that Kill will go after first was down this year. A bigger pool of FBS talent will allow more oversight to these type guys. Also not all of them want to ride the pine at UM....but I understand your point

tjbison
02-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Someone else brought up Kill ending up being successful...I think that would end up being a positive for NDSU. If Minnesota all of a sudden becomes a top 4-5 Big10 program, don't you think they will start to reach for higher end talent, which in turn will leave some of the bubble players out of the mix? Obviously, everything is speculation. Either way, they still aren't going to get every Turner/Vraa/Olson type player in Minnesota, there should still be enough to go around me thinks.

And as for your last statement, that seems like the strongest chance of getting FBS transfers - from the Goophers.

^^^^^^^^^:nod:

Twentysix
02-08-2011, 10:04 PM
It should be three if they put where the college is as his hometown. One to Cal, one to Florida State, and Conner McGovern.

The kid that went to flordia state was from minnesota i think.

The reason the cal kid was counted as ND was cause he i sfrom another country, so instead of putting -- as his hometown they put wapheton, making him count as an fbs recruit for ND.

Twentysix
02-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Yes true, but the high level talent that Kill will go after first was down this year. A bigger pool of FBS talent will allow more oversight to these type guys. Also not all of them want to ride the pine at UM....but I understand your point

Isnt kill a very regional recruiter?

unbison
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM

You didn't call them names I am absolutely amazed:hide:

Tatanka
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Back to the original question:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s96/Tatankabucket/513b3f27.jpg

tjbison
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Isnt kill a very regional recruiter?

Yes, but to think he can get every kid in MN...well it just isn't going to happen. Especially when you can bet he is going to hit Illinois also for kids sure he has some good relationships with coaches, schools etc..down there

BisonNolesFan77
02-09-2011, 01:18 AM
The kid that went to flordia state was from minnesota i think.

The reason the cal kid was counted as ND was cause he i sfrom another country, so instead of putting -- as his hometown they put wapheton, making him count as an fbs recruit for ND.

Yes, Fahrenkrug is from Minnesota...played at Cooper. No way should Williams be counted as an ND player.

Check out the ratio for FL players, 1 in 111...that is flat out insane. No one else even comes close.

Bison Dan
02-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I posted this over at the eGriz board after I found out they got 11 or more in state recruits and MSU signed over 11 too. 22 -24 in state DI recruits??

"Looks like a good class - I'm sure the Griz get the cream from MT. Find one thing funny is all the Montana recruits. Good year for talent in MT? The only reason I see it as funny as NDSU only took 2 kids out of ND and und 1. and the ND won the Badlands Bowl last year. But recruiting isn't actually an exact science. Hope to play you in the future.Bison Dan"

Didn't get much for responses but I'm sure a few of them are scratching their heads and wondering just how good their recruits are.

westnodak93bison
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Our programs and facilities are lacking in ND for high school kids imho. One reason we don't produce more D1 caliber recruits. Then some of the better athletes focus on hockey.

Dabison
02-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Our programs and facilities are lacking in ND for high school kids imho. One reason we don't produce more D1 caliber recruits. Then some of the better athletes focus on hockey.

What's HHHHockey?????

SDbison
02-09-2011, 06:37 PM
What's HHHHockey?????
A damn tuff sport that many at bisonville don't understand because they can't skate let alone skate backward, accelerate quickly, stop on a dime, and shoot and pass a puck accurately. Also be physical enough to take and dish out body checks while taking on the cardio aspects of the game. Obviously many here don't know much about the sport they criticise for no other reason but UND plays hockey.

MNLonghorn10
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM

lol. all 4 nd d1 hockey players?

unbison
02-09-2011, 06:47 PM
A damn tuff sport that many in America chose to not understand because they can't skate let alone skate backward, accelerate quickly, stop on a dime, and shoot and pass a puck accurately. Also be physical enough to take and dish out body checks while taking on the cardio aspects of the game. Obviously many here don't know much about the sport they criticise for no other reason but UND plays hockey.

fixeded it for you

CAS4127
02-09-2011, 06:49 PM
In reality the sheet should only say 1, but well keep that our secret.

My bet is the FBS players come from their parents!:bow: :D

Twentysix
02-09-2011, 11:03 PM
My bet is the FBS players come from their parents!:bow: :D

WRONG! Commonly known fact that all FBS football players are Genetically engineered test tube babys.

Kermit
02-12-2011, 02:21 PM
WRONG! Commonly known fact that all FBS football players are Genetically engineered test tube babys.

Government coverup?

I think you guys are making this much too complicated. If we want to know where FBS players come from--or anything else--we should just ask Lakes. :nod: