PDA

View Full Version : Who is to blame for the lack of Bison coverage?

bisonfan11
02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Okay with signing day gone and a SERIOUS lack of coverage of NDSU's 2011 recruiting class I think the question should be who is at fault for the lack of Bison coverage yesterday. Look the team to the North is a 2nd rate FCS school compared to us and yet National Signing Day was a BIG deal to UND (even though they ONLY got 17 recruits signed). But unless you go on Bisonville you might not have known that yesterday was National Signing day. So who doesn't give a crap about NDSU football??? Is it the TV media? I think we all can agree that while Jeff Kolpak is doing his best to truly promote NDSU, no one else at the POS Forum give a damn, they'd rather talk about UND even though there is a much larger fanbase that bleeds green and gold. And radio, did KFGO/KFAN pull out all the stops to promote NDSU's 2011 recruiting class? And then we have the NDSU media relations department who seems to be okay with being mediocre when Bison Football is BIG TIME here in Fargo. I am just disgusted with the lack of coverage NDSU gets (because unless either a coach or a player F's up you won't here much if any news on NDSU). I'm sorry, but I had to rant, I love NDSU football and it would be good to see NDSU pimped more often because right now NDSU football is the best college football in the state of North Dakota. We might as well have a normal media following that other DI college football teams have.

bisonmike2
02-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Lakes?

I think it was Homer Simpson who was once quoted. "Lakesbison. The cause of, and solution to, all of the Bison Media problems."

It might not be an exact quote.

Notorious
02-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I thought certain outlets did a good job. Maybe ignore those that don't....stick with kolpack and kfan....

Notorious
02-03-2011, 03:35 PM
....and Bisonvillle (i.e. Jarhead)

CAS4127
02-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Personally, I thought there was plenty of coverage. But, if I had to blame anyone, it would be the weather terrorists who are given way to much time on both TV and radio to tell us what the weather was like that day (as if we didn't effin know), what the temp was in Oriska as opposed to Valley City or Tower City, and then give us their best guess for the next day and week--and that's all it is, a WAG.

On_the_road
02-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Personally, I thought there was plenty of coverage. But, if I had to blame anyone, it would be the weather terrorists who are given way to much time on both TV and radio to tell us what the weather was like that day (as if we didn't effin know), what the temp was in Oriska as opposed to Valley City or Tower City, and then give us their best guess for the next day and week--and that's all it is, a WAG.

LMAO.... Weather terrorists. Nice conspiracy theory. :D

I agree that there was ample coverage. WDAY has been very negative on NDSU ever since they lost the radio contract to KFGO, and therefore isn't giving the coverage they would have. Never the less the coverage was okay.

tjbison
02-03-2011, 05:26 PM
god not another thread on this

Bisonfan1
02-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I just had to love Dom Izzo last night interviewing Coach Bohl from the Bison Football office, as soon as he was done, he went into knucklehead recruit news from the BISON FOOTBALL OFFICE, Im sorry, maybe its just me, but that was just WRONG !!!

CAS4127
02-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I just had to love Dom Izzo last night interviewing Coach Bohl from the Bison Football office, as soon as he was done, he went into knucklehead recruit news from the BISON FOOTBALL OFFICE, Im sorry, maybe its just me, but that was just WRONG !!!

You can get in trouble for using that word--just sayin!!

Bisonfan1
02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
You can get in trouble for using that word--just sayin!!

Learned it from the best, and it was, and always will be a classic !! :D

VanClubPres
02-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Seriously though, is it NDSU media department fault. I do not know, and I am not saying for sure it is, but I can watch EVERY home Sue hockey game and many Men's and women's bball games on Cable One's Basic package channel 44, but not a Bison game? Is that NDSU saying they want better channels or billing? Or is it local media snubbing NDSU. Why can I watch Jackrabbit weekly on FSN at 530 but have to watch NDSU stuff during odd hours? I do not know enough about media to answer any of This.just questions that come to mind.

KC Bison
02-03-2011, 06:30 PM
What's with the the placement of the story in the Forum about the NDSU list of recruits -- the number 7 story, below the stories of the Gophers, suzies and Moorhead State lists of recruits.

ndsubison1
02-03-2011, 07:42 PM
What's with the the placement of the story in the Forum about the NDSU list of recruits -- the number 7 story, below the stories of the Gophers, suzies and Moorhead State lists of recruits.

Forum is a flat out joke.

NorthernBison
02-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Seriously, other than the people who post here, who the hell cares about the recruiting classes at NDSU, UND, Minnesota, etc.? Certainly not the average Joe watching the evening Sports.

I personally have watched ONE player on the NDSU list and I didn't even bother to read the UND list. They are just names. Most of them I've never heard of.

Until these guys hit the field (likely in 2012 or 2013), the public has zero interest.

It aint on because it aint news.

lakesbison
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
its not just signing day stuff northern.

its EVERY DAY stuff, every single day in the media.

CAS4127
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Seriously, other than the people who post here, who the hell cares about the recruiting classes at NDSU, UND, Minnesota, etc.? Certainly not the average Joe watching the evening Sports.

I personally have watched ONE player on the NDSU list and I didn't even bother to read the UND list. They are just names. Most of them I've never heard of.

Until these guys hit the field (likely in 2012 or 2013), the public has zero interest.

Technically, it is "news", as the word "news" is derived from the word "new", as in something that hasn't occured before. Later the same "news" becomes history, like sometime in 2012 0r 13.

BlueBisonRock
02-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Believe it or not, Its news. The Star Trib has carried multiple stories from multiple journalists on this years Gophers FB recruiting class. Going in. As it occurred, and after the fact. People want to know. In fact, the biggest complaint yesterday was finding the blog carrying the listing of commits as the faxes were coming in.

And as an aside, Kill is getting some acalades while being hard on himself regarding the class. It is nice to see this news source and college sports team relationship.

Bison fans deserve the same.

tony
02-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Pfft. Have you ever watched the local news? :)

In sports, if you show highlights, it's good TV - if you don't, keep it short and get on to something you have video for. Gosh knows the weather guy could use the time to talk about what the weather was like earlier in the day in Omaha. And there might be an international story that has a local angle (like somebody went to there on vacation.)

NorthernBison
02-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Pfft. Have you ever watched the local news? :)

In sports, if you show highlights, it's good TV - if you don't, keep it short and get on to something you have video for. Gosh knows the weather guy could use the time to talk about what the weather was like earlier in the day in Omaha. And there might be an international story that has a local angle (like somebody went to there on vacation.)

Good Grief. I give. I didn't mean it that literally.

A list of recruits on the 6 and 10 news is fine. The overwhelming majority of viewers aren't likely to care that much about watching high school highlight clips of a bunch of players that aren't likely to see much time on the field until 2013.

I know there are some serious recruiting geeks on this board scouring youtube for highlights. I think I'm like most fans though. I don't give a flying fark about video until they are wearing green and gold.

tony
02-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Good Grief. I give. I didn't mean it that literally.

A list of recruits on the 6 and 10 news is fine. The overwhelming majority of viewers aren't likely to care that much about watching high school highlight clips of a bunch of players that aren't likely to see much time on the field until 2013.

I know there are some serious recruiting geeks on this board scouring youtube for highlights. I think I'm like most fans though. I don't give a flying fark about video until they are wearing green and gold.

The smiley face means I'm just giving you a bad time.

If you report on the signing class, I say get some highlights together if it's possible. Not sure if it's possible (video quality, copyright issues) but I *guarantee* that something like the Preston Evans hit from his senior highlight tape would be good TV as long as you are sports fan. Which would you rather see? A list or video. I don't think they are showing anything on the sports on the first Wednesday in February that is more interesting.

JMB
02-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Maybe they should do a winter edition of the Craig Bohl football show? Show highlights from the recruiting class and allow them the opportunity to introduce the fans to the players. They probably have most of the highlights pulled together from the party at the Hub. Just a thought...

ndsubison1
02-04-2011, 01:26 AM

seriously? :uhyeah:

SDbison
02-04-2011, 01:38 AM
seriously? :uhyeah:
I don't have a clue what NorthernBison's problem is.......

NorthernBison
02-04-2011, 01:40 AM
The smiley face means I'm just giving you a bad time.

If you report on the signing class, I say get some highlights together if it's possible. Not sure if it's possible (video quality, copyright issues) but I *guarantee* that something like the Preston Evans hit from his senior highlight tape would be good TV as long as you are sports fan. Which would you rather see? A list or video. I don't think they are showing anything on the sports on the first Wednesday in February that is more interesting.

You have a point about Wednesday. No high school stuff going on. A highlight tape of some sort would be entertaining if the local media outlets gave a crap. Apparently, they don't.

I can honestly say that I didn't watch one second of local sports last night. I can also say that I didn't even glance at the list of UND recruits. Could not care less about a bunch of names I've mostly never heard before. I can only assume that non-Bison fans feel the same about our recruits.

I got a chuckle over the headline about the Dragon recruiting class of TWO.

NorthernBison
02-04-2011, 01:51 AM
I don't have a clue what NorthernBison's problem is.......

Partly it was a crappy day and I wasn't in the mood to be all nicey. You should know all about that dude.

I recognize that this board has a bunch of people who are super interested in the new recruits. I'd even say I'm more tuned in to the process than most. But, most of our fans don't follow the recruiting details that closely. I'd bet you that many fans in about a month couldn't tell our list from any other school's if they only had names to look at.

I talked to three local teammakers tonight at the basketball game and they had no idea who signed yesterday. Wasn't even on the radar.

All this doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It's simply the reason why the media doesn't cover it like uber fans want. The media seems to be good at figuring out what sells. Ask Lakes. KVRR apparently thinks that NDSU sports doesn't sell in Fargo. Either that or they don't need the money.

Twentysix
02-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Partly it was a crappy day and I wasn't in the mood to be all nicey. You should know all about that dude.

I recognize that this board has a bunch of people who are super interested in the new recruits. I'd even say I'm more tuned in to the process than most. But, most of our fans don't follow the recruiting details that closely. I'd bet you that many fans in about a month couldn't tell our list from any other school's if they only had names to look at.

I talked to three local teammakers tonight at the basketball game and they had no idea who signed yesterday. Wasn't even on the radar.

All this doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It's simply the reason why the media doesn't cover it like uber fans want. The media seems to be good at figuring out what sells. Ask Lakes. KVRR apparently thinks that NDSU sports doesn't sell in Fargo. Either that or they don't need the money.

He has a legitimate point. NDSU needs to do a better job promoting it though, its there business to make people care.

But its KVLY, Forumcomm etc's business to make money.

Scooter1
02-04-2011, 11:43 PM
It is obvious that it is the players who are to blame for the lack of coverage.

They need to get into more trouble. That will do it. :hide:

heckler
02-05-2011, 02:31 AM
We are on the front page of the forum now. ;)