PDA

View Full Version : no excuse

ProudBisonFan
01-21-2011, 02:13 AM
this team has a long ways to go if they want to compete for anything. so many bad decisions out there, tveidt had a huge mismatch put him down low and feed him the ball. I know we had tough defense a few times out there and they still hit a contended shot, but there is absolutely no excuse to lose this game.

lakesbison
01-21-2011, 02:16 AM
Nate Zastrow Peterson seeds player of game....bwhahahahaaa

Turn around fade away 22fter over a guy when we had new shot clock= POG?? WHATEVER!!

ProudBisonFan
01-21-2011, 02:22 AM
that was a very bad look

HandoEX
01-21-2011, 02:24 AM
Tveidt and Coleman each had much smaller guys on them. Not sure why we didn't let them post up more. Both had obvious mismatches.

SDbison
01-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Tveidt and Coleman each had much smaller guys on them. Not sure why we didn't let them post up more. Both had obvious mismatches.
Does Saul even know there is such thing as a post up game.........tough to do when you rarely pass into the paint?

HandoEX
01-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Unbison's post feed meter was well into double digits tonight.

EndZoneQB
01-21-2011, 02:29 AM
Does Saul even know there is such thing as a post up game.........tough to do when you rarely pass into the paint?

At what point does Saul come into question? Miles is showing the ability to win, and we have really only gone down since Miles left. I realize it's not going to be at the end of this year, but when does he start to enter the conversation? I realize Saul is a nice guy, and seems like a good coach, but there might have to be some accountability soon, no?

BFKasper14
01-21-2011, 02:29 AM
Absolutely pathetic showing by the bison tonight. I don't know what else to say.

SDbison
01-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Unbison's post feed meter was well into double digits tonight.
What......at 12 or something?

HandoEX
01-21-2011, 02:33 AM
At what point does Saul come into question? Miles is showing the ability to win, and we have really only gone down since Miles left. I realize it's not going to be at the end of this year, but when does he start to enter the conversation? I realize Saul is a nice guy, and seems like a good coach, but there might have to be some accountability soon, no?

I disagree with you 100%. This isn't the football program and he has won a conference championship.

SDbison
01-21-2011, 02:36 AM
I disagree with you 100%. This isn't the football program and he has won a conference championship.
ummmmmm............with Miles recruits that played together for three years previous...........seems most anyone could have taken over and won with woody, nelly and winks!

lakesbison
01-21-2011, 02:41 AM
18 pt lead, tveidt had 5 inches on his guy.... my biggest question is, why not the isolation play more....tveidt up top to Marshall give and go was money......why only run it twice??

3pt defense was sad

EndZoneQB
01-21-2011, 02:41 AM

Yeah I realize that...but honestly, you don't think he was handed the keys to the Ferrari? That team was set to go, built for a run. Yeah, he executed it, great, but where is this ultimately going? Miles left him before it peaked, so Saul would theoretically be able to use that to his advantage in recruiting. I'm not blaming Saul, I was just curious when the conversation starts to be him about him.

Bison"FANatic"
01-21-2011, 02:44 AM
This team just seems to lack leadership, no let me take that back they do lack leadership. The team needs to come together but dangit Tveidt needs to step up and lead. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Twentysix
01-21-2011, 02:53 AM
bad bad bad.

This isnt football, We need to start winning games or im not gonna waste my time.

DjKyRo
01-21-2011, 02:56 AM
bad bad bad.

This isnt football, We need to start winning games or im not gonna waste my time.

Now you're starting to sound like an NDSU student. :banghead:

NDSUstudent
01-21-2011, 02:57 AM
Team loss, coaching and players can share in that second half debacle. Seemed like we let our foot off the gas pedal in the second half and forgot how to defend.

This team needs leadership in the worst way. Saul needs to get more looks for Bjorklund and Tveidt. Both players had mismatches at times and didn't get the ball.

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
01-21-2011, 03:12 AM
Just wondering.

Does this team ever run any set plays? Or do they just run around like they did today? They need to spread the floor out more. A lot of times there would be 3-4 players in one little area.

NDSUFan_Sav
01-21-2011, 03:42 AM
Team loss, coaching and players can share in that second half debacle. Seemed like we let our foot off the gas pedal in the second half and forgot how to defend.

This team needs leadership in the worst way. Saul needs to get more looks for Bjorklund and Tveidt. Both players had mismatches at times and didn't get the ball.

I agree and I also think Braun needs to keep attacking the rim more. They need to set pick n rolls more, that Tveidt and Bjorklund pick n roll was picture perfect. When they run around (motion offense) they need to set more ACTUAL screens, they tend to act like they're screening miss the defender and repeat. They should set double screens for Tveidt imo and let him come off them and have an open jump shot.

IMO, they got away from what was working in the first half. We also missed key free throws in the 2nd half 82% in the 1st half and 56% in the 2nd half while IPFW shot 92% in the 1st half and 86% in the 2nd half.In the 1st half IPFW shot 38% 62% in the 2nd half that's part defense and them just shooting extremely well and we went from 58% in the 1st half to 45% in the 2nd half.

SDbison
01-21-2011, 03:47 AM
I agree and I also think Braun needs to keep attacking the rim more. They need to set pick n rolls more, that Tveidt and Bjorklund pick n roll was picture perfect. When they run around (motion offense) they need to set more ACTUAL screens, they tend to act like they're screening miss the defender and repeat. They should set double screens for Tveidt imo and let him come off them and have an open jump shot.

IMO, they got away from what was working in the first half. We also missed key free throws in the 2nd half 82% in the 1st half and 56% in the 2nd half while IPFW shot 92% in the 1st half and 86% in the 2nd half.In the 1st half IPFW shot 38% 62% in the 2nd half that's part defense and them just shooting extremely well and we went from 58% in the 1st half to 45% in the 2nd half.
I agree with the point about screens.......especially the high ones at the top of the key........they are so poorly executed why bother! Nobody ever gets screened out. Moorman did the job a 100 times better.

Burnt_Secondary
01-21-2011, 04:14 AM
another thing . . . how about when a team is making a run on us we change up the defense for about three possessions . . . No? . . . OK lets let the opponent get nice and comfortable and enjoy their run. I guess there is no need to practice another defense because there is no way we could give up an 18 point lead and need to change things up a little.

Bring on Oakland and our seven seed . . .

I hate to be so upset but is this as good as NDSU can be? A lower middle tier Summet team?

If this team doesn't have enough to win I don't know when the next line up will be able to. What message isn't getting across.

lakesbison
01-21-2011, 04:54 AM
any less than a #3 seed in the summit league is a slap in the face to the program WOODY built. Last year we all accepted #6 seed.

Oakland will always be up there, Maybe IPFW/Oral Roberts.

NDSU needs to be a #2-#3 year in and year out, else its an embarassment.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2011, 06:45 AM
any less than a #3 seed in the summit league is a slap in the face to the program WOODY built. Last year we all accepted #6 seed.

Terrible slap in the face to Winkleman and Nelson. Sometimes you just embarrass NDSU.

I look at this team and I see all our talent in young freshmen and sophomores. Tviedt is a terrific talent, but where is he when the game is on the line? Non existent. I never did think much of Coleman. To me he was an outstanding athlete trying to play basketball. It doesn't really work if you dont have a good feel for the game. Carlson has been the most disappointing player on the team. IMHO, this team is just too young with inexperienced talent to really do anything at this point. We will see just how resilient this team is when their season comes on the line.

lakesbison
01-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Winky was wally sczerbiak, Nelson was nick punto....

Woody was freakin KIRBY PUCKETT. sorry, the truth is nothing to be embarassed about.

HandoEX
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Woody was freakin KIRBY PUCKETT. sorry, the truth is nothing to be embarassed about.

Nick Punto? Dear God lakes, that was low.

Jdubs21
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
this team doesnt play with any confidence, worst freethrow shooting team i have seen, i honestly think we went to the shaquile oneal school of freethrows, but most of all i think it is piss poor coaching, the team has gotten worse throughout the year and not taking advantage of mismatches, tveidt shoulda had 30 points against the kid that was gaurding him coleman also was a mismatch and he sat the bench most of the game and tveidt hardly touched the ball insinde the 3pt line

Superfan
01-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Say that in front of Woody and I guarentee you he would smack the shit out of you.

lakesbison
01-21-2011, 03:02 PM
ok ok, nick punto is low,

Woody = Kirby
Nelly = Hrbek
Winky = Gaetti

thats better, my point is, WOODY would isolate and school his man when we needed 2-3 drives to win, no one on this team today can do that. not even tviedt, but tviedts not allowed to really.

HandoEX
01-21-2011, 03:12 PM
And Woody, Winks and Nelson would always hit their free throws down the stretch. It was painful watching everyone miss their first free throw every time in the second half. That lost the game for us. I wonder what Ben Woodside's free throw percentage was with 1 minute or less left in the second half. 90%?

Kermit
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah I realize that...but honestly, you don't think he was handed the keys to the Ferrari? That team was set to go, built for a run. Yeah, he executed it, great, but where is this ultimately going? Miles left him before it peaked, so Saul would theoretically be able to use that to his advantage in recruiting. I'm not blaming Saul, I was just curious when the conversation starts to be him about him.

The Bison team with Woody and co., still had a ways to go when Saul took over--witness their struggles on the road in SL during Woody's junior season. The team made HUGE strides defensively over the next year. Then they knocked off a MORE talented Oakland team to go to the dance (Benson, Johnathon Jones, Kangas, etc.).

We are definitely going through some growing pains right now. Like all Bison fans, I am frustrated and po'd about the losses. Rest assured that the players and coaches are more frustrated and po'd than any of us. They have to get better and they will get better. I am extremely confident about the leadership and future of this program. Remember, we are still a new D-I program. Recruiting is improving. A new building is coming. The future is bright and we have the coaching staff to lead us there.

Kermit
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
And Woody, Winks and Nelson would always hit their free throws down the stretch. It was painful watching everyone miss their first free throw every time in the second half. That lost the game for us. I wonder what Ben Woodside's free throw percentage was with 1 minute or less left in the second half. 90%?

Good point on the free throws. Our guys practice free throws a lot. Not sure what the answer is on that one.

Do you all remember how many times Woody MISSED potential game winning shots before THE SHOT against Oakland that took us to the Dance? I think it was something like 6. It all takes time. Usually longer than any of us likes.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Good point on the free throws. Our guys practice free throws a lot. Not sure what the answer is on that one.

Do you all remember how many times Woody MISSED potential game winning shots before THE SHOT against Oakland that took us to the Dance? I think it was something like 6. It all takes time. Usually longer than any of us likes.

It's a good point and still Tviedt hit that shot. I love Woodside. I would never say anything to disrespect his game because he was outstanding, and IMHO there isn't an argument that he is the most impactful player NDSU has ever had in basketball.

But let's please be real Lakes. He would not have built anything here if he wasn't playing alongside NDSU's #2 all-time leading scorer in Brett Winkleman, and #7 all-time leading scorer in Mike Nelson. I cannot believe this is even a discussion.

DjKyRo
01-21-2011, 05:14 PM
What we're going through is hardly unique, mid-majors go through this kind of thing all the time. Every school at our level has, at one time or another, gone "all in" on a particular class to make a run at the all-important NCAA Tournament. We'll be at Oakland's level of consistently vying for a conference championship in time, but it's a building process. We're not unique, unfortunate as that is.

Twentysix
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Now you're starting to sound like an NDSU student. :banghead:

We are .433 W/L Thats horrible for the league we play in.

Football is the goods, Basketball is fun.

Ill suffer through 2-9 with a football team. Once the basketball team is .400 or worse im not going anymore unless I really want too, for example, lastnight I would of watched big bang theory if we were 6-10.

I go to every game unless theres a ridiculous reason I cant go. We are 7-9 right now.... Thats terrible. Braun is better than 7-9, Carlson if he were playing at a slightly improved level from last year is better than 7-9. Tveidt if he was improved from last year is better than 7-9.

Its awesome that some of the guys like Drew Lundberg are playing way better this year, but why should our better players take steps backwards?

Braun is clearly the most athletic driver on the team. They really should incorporate that more.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Ill suffer through 2-9 with a football team. Once the basketball team is .400 or worse im not going anymore unless I really want too, for example, lastnight I would of watched big bang theory if we were 6-10.

I go to every game unless theres a ridiculous reason I cant go. We are 7-9 right now.... Thats terrible. Braun is better than 7-9, Carlson if he were playing at a slightly improved level from last year is better than 7-9. Tveidt if he was improved from last year is better than 7-9.

Its awesome that some of the guys like Drew Lundberg are playing way better this year, but why should our better players take steps backwards?

Braun is clearly the most athletic driver on the team. They really should incorporate that more.

I share your sentiment but with football. I quit attending those miserable games 2 seasons ago. It's taken a Kansas win and 2 playoff games for me to partially jump back on the bandwagon. The minute the football team can show me that last season's playoff run wasn't a fluke I will begin supporting them again.

Twentysix
01-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I share your sentiment but with football. I quit attending those miserable games 2 seasons ago. It's taken a Kansas win and 2 playoff games for me to partially jump back on the bandwagon. The minute the football team can show me that last season's playoff run wasn't a fluke I will begin supporting them again.

The only positives i have for the basketball team is, They are talented enough to turn it around. And atleast there keeping the losses close, but if its not the sport that you appsolutely love its really hard to get 100% attendance/watching home/away when they suck.

Its much easier for me to attend a football game knowing we have almost no shot at winning. i.e. Kansas. (pleasantly surprised no doubt, but weeks before the game i didnt think we had much of a shot.)

I was pretty sure we were gonna lose that game, and we were terrible leading up to that game (previous season) but i love football so much I was still able to drive 1000 miles round trip. Cause its football! Just dont feel the same with basketball.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2011, 08:10 PM
The only positives i have for the basketball team is, They are talented enough to turn it around. And atleast there keeping the losses close, but if its not the sport that you appsolutely love its really hard to get 100% attendance/watching home/away when they suck.

Its much easier for me to attend a football game knowing we have almost no shot at winning. i.e. Kansas. (pleasantly surprised no doubt, but weeks before the game i didnt think we had much of a shot.)

I was pretty sure we were gonna lose that game, and we were terrible leading up to that game (previous season) but i love football so much I was still able to drive 1000 miles round trip. Cause its football! Just dont feel the same with basketball.

Yea I understand. Basketball is my sport. The saving grace (for now anyways) in football for me is at least they have playoffs. If the day every comes when Bison football makes the jump to BCS, I'm not sure if I will ever follow it religeously. They will be an incredibly small fish in a big pond, and have absolutely no shot of ever winning a NC. At least in basketball I can hold on to that false glimmer of hope, no matter how small it is, that NDSU can one day have a run in the tournament similiar to Butler. That would be a sports dream for me.

Superfan
01-21-2011, 09:04 PM

:smh: I'm speechless. The only thing I can think to even say is that I'm glad I'm not you guys.

VanClubPres
01-21-2011, 09:11 PM
:smh: I'm speechless. The only thing I can think to even say is that I'm glad I'm not you guys.
Yes to this. To each their own....but I am going to support all Bison.

HandoEX
01-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Yes to this. To each their own....but I am going to support all Bison.

This. I'd rather back a team when they falter instead of jumping off the bandwagon every time the going gets rough. I have no respect for sports fans that talk trash about their team when they aren't winning and then try to act like the team's biggest fan when they win. Criticism is one thing, but we have bipolar fans that really rub me the wrong way.

Twentysix
01-21-2011, 09:16 PM
This. I'd rather back a team when they falter instead of jumping off the bandwagon every time the going gets rough. I have no respect for sports fans that talk trash about their team when they aren't winning and then try to act like the team's biggest fan when they win. Criticism is one thing, but we have bipolar fans that really rub me the wrong way.

Never said i wouldnt back them, I just said im done going to (if they maintain a sub 40% win/loss record) or watching/listening on the internet every single game. I have a hunch some of the people trying to talk down on me have missed some games on tv/internet or home games in person in the last 3 years(MBB/FB).

herdmember
01-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Agreed 100%. Bandwagon jumping when they're good and bashing/not supporting when bad is weak.

Burnt_Secondary
01-21-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't know guys, we need to be completely honest with ourselves here. Every fan has a breaking point and depending upon your love for that particular sport it's going to be different for everyone.

I know we want to all say we are super fans and love the team and will go to every game thick or thin but we are all lying to ourselves.

I LOVE basketball. Devoted a great deal of my youth to it, played a year in college, etc . . . I have been all in with NDSU basketball since the K-State game. Was starting to get on board before that but that's besides the point.

Let's say NDSU never made the jump to D-1, who here would really be on board? Who here would even care that we blew a 18 point lead lastnight?

I'll be honest, if we didn't have a new arena on the way a couple more seasons below .500 and I would check the box scores, maybe listen on the radio, but would I run out to see them on a -20 degrees like I did last night? Probably not. I don't think it hurts for people to be really honest with themselves and know where their breaking point is.

Someone saying they are reaching the breaking point doesn't mean that they are any worse than any of us that sit on these boards and bash a bunch of college kids that play a game for our enjoyment. (Me included.)

Larz
01-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I am sure there is a lot of teaching, coaching, learning, practicing, trying, wantnig to be better going on now. They are young and the coaches would rather be peaking "later" than "now" (if they have to make a choice now or find some satisfaction with the present situation) just to make all you fans happy at this point. Try and be happy with the incremental personal and team victories some of which most of you aren't even aware of. The football team began to peak later, that was pretty fun. I am not sure this team in its present state has the bank account to satify the victory diet most of you have. It will get there but not as fast as you want, just like the football team. The suffering, sweat, and sacrifice going on now will make the glory so sweet later. I know I am in it for the long haul just like the 5 years with Woody & Co.

unbison
01-21-2011, 10:41 PM
I am sure there is a lot of teaching, coaching, learning, practicing, trying, wantnig to be better going on now. They are young and the coaches would rather be peaking "later" than "now" (if they have to make a choice now or find some satisfaction with the present situation) just to make all you fans happy at this point. Try and be happy with the incremental personal and team victories some of which most of you aren't even aware of. The football team began to peak later, that was pretty fun. I am not sure this team in its present state has the bank account to satify the victory diet most of you have. It will get there but not as fast as you want, just like the football team. The suffering, sweat, and sacrifice going on now will make the glory so sweet later. I know I am in it for the long haul just like the 5 years with Woody & Co.

Just think next year we will have these very talented sophomores aaberg, hale, felt, bjorkland,wright,braun.....o my o my

DIBISON
01-22-2011, 05:35 AM
I still believe in this years team and yes the future is bright. That said we need PG help. Imagine if we had got Harris from IL, the kid from Michigan or the JC from Iowa. We need to sign an impact PG this spring.

NDSUstudent
01-22-2011, 06:40 AM
I still believe in this years team and yes the future is bright. That said we need PG help. Imagine if we had got Harris from IL, the kid from Michigan or the JC from Iowa. We need to sign an impact PG this spring.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Joel-Lindberg-110205

NDSUFan_Sav
01-22-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm sure things will get better especially for Jay Harris, but as of now here's what his stats are at Valpo:

Season GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
2010-11 20 18.9 5.7 34.3 34.8 90.5 1.6 1.4 0.1 0.5

the JC Kurt Alexander from IA possibly the same, could improve but as of now:

2010-11 Drake 19 6 17.7 5.1 1.3 1.7 0.6 0.1 2.1 1.7 .372 .273 .639

I agree with student, Lindberg should be able to help us at the point next year, and hopefully Hale will be able to run the 1/2 and help as well. I really think those 2 will be a huge help for us next year.

BisoninNWMN
01-22-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm not a real big follower of MBB but can we really expect anything different from this team?

Most mid-majors or lower have decent runs what?.....every 2-5 yrs?

Until Saul can prove he can consistently win....meaning not .500 or barely above....the jury is still out IMO if he can get it done.

The new arena will spark interest and attendance but consistent mediocrity will kill that pretty fast.

IMO, Saul has a long ways to go to prove he can get it done.

ndsubison1
01-22-2011, 07:26 PM
this team has all the pieces except an all-around PG. we have 2 consistent 3 pt shooters in tveidt and felt. 2 slashers in coleman and carlson. an efficient big man in bjorkland and some solid complementary role players in zastrow, wright, braun and lundberg. we're missing that PG who can get us some consistent scoring, set the tempo and set up our other guys. i feel if we had one tveidt, carlson and coleman would be playing a lot better. but carlson and coleman are in a big funk right now.

DIBISON
01-23-2011, 05:43 AM
this team has all the pieces except an all-around PG. we have 2 consistent 3 pt shooters in tveidt and felt. 2 slashers in coleman and carlson. an efficient big man in bjorkland and some solid complementary role players in zastrow, wright, braun and lundberg. we're missing that PG who can get us some consistent scoring, set the tempo and set up our other guys. i feel if we had one tveidt, carlson and coleman would be playing a lot better. but carlson and coleman are in a big funk right now.

I agree with you and as a follow-up to my preivous post, the Bison only need an impact PG to go on a 3-4 year run. No more evidence than the game with Oakland. Their guards just destoryed us, but with experience our's will be doing the same down the road. The future is soo bright, considering the 5 sophomores that will be on the floor next year, and 2 are RS this year.