PDA

View Full Version : If You Were Coach Of The Bison

Scooter1
01-17-2011, 01:59 AM
What would you do if you were given the keys to the NDSU football program?

Here's what I would do.

1. I hate to say it, but the very first thing I would do is hire a quarterbacks coach with a proven track record. We have 4 quarterbacks on the roster and two coming in and I don't want Vigen within 100 yards of these kids. Vigen, you are either demoted to the tight ends coach or gone. He's probably gone.

2. Thank my lucky stars that Scott Fuchs is on my staff. OK, there are about 12 guys coming back for next year. Scott has the off season to get Beckius, Anderson, Jerve, Jacobs, and Britt to be reliable options. That leaves RFR Schueller and Pomerenke one more year to mature in the program.

3. Hit the JC ranks HARD. NDSU has 13 kids that will be juniors next year (4 are only going to be JR because they had their red shirts pulled and 6 were transfers or walk ons) This recruiting class is an embarrassment. The recruits left from that class have contributed, but holy hell, most are gone. Because of this, the team needs a very good JC 6' + cornerback (in addition to Boyd) and a big 300 pound nosegard ala Summerfeild to take some of the pressure off of the youngsters on the DL and CB spots. AND, they need to be in school...now.. so they can be in spring ball.

4. The QB position is wide open in spring ball. Nobody is the front runner in this one. My new quarterbacks coach needs to evaluate.

5. Find a spot for Wes Hudson and keep him there. This kid has talent, develop it.

6. Get rid of Scott Miller. Just kidding. He deserved his award.

DjKyRo
01-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Give the ball to DJ McNorton 60 times a game, Sigers 15. Game plan.

westnodak93bison
01-17-2011, 03:16 AM
Polasek moves to QB coach

BisonNeil
01-17-2011, 02:39 PM
3. Hit the JC ranks HARD. NDSU has 13 kids that will be juniors next year (4 are only going to be JR because they had their red shirts pulled and 6 were transfers or walk ons) This recruiting class is an embarrassment. The recruits left from that class have contributed, but holy hell, most are gone. Because of this, the team needs a very good JC 6' + cornerback (in addition to Boyd) and a big 300 pound nosegard ala Summerfeild to take some of the pressure off of the youngsters on the DL and CB spots. AND, they need to be in school...now.. so they can be in spring ball.

If they aren't in school now, they won't be. Boyd is the only one that is and will be the only one, so you missed a golden opportunity here Scooter. Not so easy to be the head coach, is it :)

tony
01-17-2011, 02:53 PM

I think my first act would be to hold a press conference to say our AD should be fired because, clearly, any AD who hires me to be coach must be incompetent. Might take questions from the press. Then I'd resign.

Notorious
01-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd hire Mangino as a consultant.

Tatanka
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I'd hire Mangino as a consultant.

So he can eat the competition?

Scooter1
01-17-2011, 07:02 PM
If they aren't in school now, they won't be. Boyd is the only one that is and will be the only one, so you missed a golden opportunity here Scooter. Not so easy to be the head coach, is it :)

The next thing I would do is find 100 people to walk their large dogs past BisonNeil's house just to shit in his yard. That should teach him for being such a smart ass. ;)

Scooter1
01-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I think my first act would be to hold a press conference to say our AD should be fired because, clearly, any AD who hires me to be coach must be incompetent. Might take questions from the press. Then I'd resign.

Post of the day. That's funny.

TheBisonator
01-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Switch to the spread option offense. the WCO simply does not work with the kind of players we have, IMO. Implement the spread and hire a good OC/HC from a D2 school who has worked with the spread for a long time.

Other than dipping into the NDSCS well more often, I really don't know what else I would do. I have to think about it.

Facts
01-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Oh... ponder. :hungry:

Facts
01-17-2011, 08:15 PM
hire this guy as QB coach??

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/190348/

CAS4127
01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
hire this guy as QB coach??

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/190348/

No--altough he didn't attend UND, we have had our negative experience athletic department-wise, with anything close to GF or UND--think Bobber Entzion!!

90BISON
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
No--altough he didn't attend UND, we have had our negative experience athletic department-wise, with anything close to GF or UND--think Bobber Entzion!!

You talk as if you have some sort of past experience with BOB?? :D

semobison
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Finding and hiring a proven QB coach is easier said than done! I like the idea though!

Trampled
01-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Who is the new Offensive Coordinator

Scooter1
01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Who is the new Offensive Coordinator

me, god damn it.

TransAmBison
01-17-2011, 11:15 PM
me, god damn it.
I move to have Scooter fired. He hasn't called one successful play yet. Not one.

Scooter1
01-17-2011, 11:17 PM
The only moving you do is on the toilet....or BisonNeil's yard if you're up to it.

DjKyRo
01-17-2011, 11:17 PM
I'd buy myself a new watch, come to think of it.

HerdBot
01-18-2011, 12:15 AM

Here's what I would do.

1. I hate to say it, but the very first thing I would do is hire a quarterbacks coach with a proven track record. We have 4 quarterbacks on the roster and two coming in and I don't want Vigen within 100 yards of these kids. Vigen, you are either demoted to the tight ends coach or gone. He's probably gone.

2. Thank my lucky stars that Scott Fuchs is on my staff. OK, there are about 12 guys coming back for next year. Scott has the off season to get Beckius, Anderson, Jerve, Jacobs, and Britt to be reliable options. That leaves RFR Schueller and Pomerenke one more year to mature in the program.

4. The QB position is wide open in spring ball. Nobody is the front runner in this one. My new quarterbacks coach needs to evaluate.

5. Find a spot for Wes Hudson and keep him there. This kid has talent, develop it.

6. Get rid of Scott Miller. Just kidding. He deserved his award.

I would develop a unique offense. A combo of the west coast / spread / veer / wishbone. It would be so crazy that teams would have a tough time preparing for it and we would see a significant advantage. The offense would look completely different from one half to another so teams would struggle to adjust.

I would limit my Jucos and try and get to the point where nobody plays as a freshman. I want to see 90% of the team stick around for redshirt plus 4 years because the offense will require some serious learning and practice.

Bison_Backer
01-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Switch to the spread option offense. the WCO simply does not work with the kind of players we have, IMO. Implement the spread and hire a good OC/HC from a D2 school who has worked with the spread for a long time.

Other than dipping into the NDSCS well more often, I really don't know what else I would do. I have to think about it.

Switch to the Spread???????? Apparently you have not seen NDSU play. We Are Big and strong the spread needs fast play makers. WE can run the Ball and knock people off the ball, Why would we take our greatest advantage of size, nullify and then try and convinced Skilled athletes to move to the Tropical paradise of North Dakota? See Michigan for inffered example of what not to do.

CAS4127
01-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Switch to the Spread???????? Apparently you have not seen NDSU play. We Are Big and strong the spread needs fast play makers. WE can run the Ball and knock people off the ball, Why would we take our greatest advantage of size, nullify and then try and convinced Skilled athletes to move to the Tropical paradise of North Dakota? See Michigan for inffered example of what not to do.

Just thank God Gabe is not nor ever will be our coach!! I would not, however, object to him being the coach of any other team on our schedule.

lakesbison
01-18-2011, 05:57 PM
new OC(show some ingenuity on plays) more nickel package, more BALLS to put games away (4th & 2 on the 35 @ EWU....)

HerdBot
01-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Just thank God Gabe is not nor ever will be our coach!! I would not, however, object to him being the coach of any other team on our schedule.

Strange considered the coach you think is god was deveoping a similar offense at NorthEastern before they shut the program down. I would add some crazy wishbone wrinkle to it.

And you really think its a bad idea to shoot for 90% 4 year players?

I'm thankful you would not be our coach.

CAS4127
01-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Strange considered the coach you think is god was deveoping a similar offense at NorthEastern before they shut the program down. I would add some crazy wishbone wrinkle to it.

Never said one word about him being "god" or even close to that--but nice try. Also, nice try on what he was developing--last time I talked to him while he was still coaching and about his offense, it was about whether more was better than less, and, that to him, less was a better choice.

And you really think its a bad idea to shoot for 90% 4 year players?

I never said that either. In fact, if you read (and understand) my posts, I have said I would prefer not pulling redshirts, as it can leave gaps in classes as they advance through school/the program, which can result in down years.
I'm thankful you would not be our coach.

Thank you, but if push came to shove, my guess is I would be hired over you in an instant.

HerdBot
01-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Thank you, but if push came to shove, my guess is I would be hired over you in an instant.

Maybe if you can't speak to players.

SDbison
01-18-2011, 10:33 PM
This is an easy one........Fire Vigen. Then hire most anyone who has some actual QB experience and some time being a successful QB coach. Also hire someone who has coached various positions and has a few years of success at the Offensive Coordinator position.

Facts
01-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Switch to the Spread???????? Apparently you have not seen NDSU play. We Are Big and strong the spread needs fast play makers.

Those gators from Florida are some fast weaklings: Hence the spead... I guess. ;)

Scooter1
01-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Let's take this in another direction.

On this roster I see 10-12 guys that are juniors and seniors who have been passed on the depth chart by the underclassmen. Do you keep them on or have a heart to heart sit down with these kids about their future with the Bison program?

How does that affect your graduation rate?

Are these scholorships guarenteed?

What would you do?

Dabison
01-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Bad Idea!!! Look at Minnesota Gophers.

mgbison
01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
If Bohl ever decides to switch to the spread, he should be fired on the same day. We have It doesn't matter the offense you run if the players execute the plays. I'm hoping our offense next year looks like wisconsin's this past year.

bisonaudit
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
I'd run a 4 down offense almost all the time. I'd stop wasting scholarships on kickers and punters. I'd go for 2 much more often and I'd almost never punt.