PDA

View Full Version : Scott Peters Leaving Valley News Live

bisonatrix
12-28-2010, 05:04 AM
Saw something tonight on video page of their website that he left for something else. Lotta turnover in Fargo sports media this year. i think every TV station lost someone.

I know a lot of people here loved Hallstrom, but I liked Peters. Sometimes Steve got a little too preachy and Ron Burgundyish for me. They've done a great job since getting the Bison media contracts (sorry for those of you who grew up and think WDAY is the standard of excellence but I still remember when they did the Northeastern game and tried to show a replay and you could see them rewinding the tape on air) and I think he had a lot to do with it.

Will be interesting to see who they bring in to replace both him and the weekend guy who I hear is leaving too. Don't suppose NDSU's J-School has anybody good enough to do TV?

Nope, didn't think so :(.

EndZoneQB
12-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Saw something tonight on video page of their website that he left for something else. Lotta turnover in Fargo sports media this year. i think every TV station lost someone.

I know a lot of people here loved Hallstrom, but I liked Peters. Sometimes Steve got a little too preachy and Ron Burgundyish for me. They've done a great job since getting the Bison media contracts (sorry for those of you who grew up and think WDAY is the standard of excellence but I still remember when they did the Northeastern game and tried to show a replay and you could see them rewinding the tape on air) and I think he had a lot to do with it.

Will be interesting to see who they bring in to replace both him and the weekend guy who I hear is leaving too. Don't suppose NDSU's J-School has anybody good enough to do TV?

Brian Shawn is leaving too? I thought him>Peters....

tjbison
12-28-2010, 03:10 PM
This whole Valley News Live Double Broadcasts on 2 channels, Hoak (sp?) media is just dumb IMO.

Bison bison
12-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Best of luck to Scott.

He did an awesome job covering the Bison the last few years.

lakesbison
12-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Valley needs a NDSU man in that spot, period.

too many bobo's in sports depts that arent PRO-NDSU in a freakin NDSU town.

Bison Dan
12-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Fireup your resume!

MNLonghorn10
12-28-2010, 04:05 PM
whys brian shawn leaving?? hes awesome and better than peters

bisonmike2
12-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I know a lot of people here loved Hallstrom, but I liked Peters. Sometimes Steve got a little too preachy and Ron Burgundyish for me.

I wish Hallstrom would have signed off with "Go f*ck yourself Fargo-Moorhead."

roadwarrior
12-28-2010, 05:08 PM
whys brian shawn leaving?? hes awesome and better than peters

+++

Brian also did the Hammer show at least one day recently when Hammer was out, and did a great job with the radio show too!

EndZoneQB
12-28-2010, 06:01 PM
+++

Brian also did the Hammer show at least one day recently when Hammer was out, and did a great job with the radio show too!

Exactly. I actually listen when I catch him on Hammer's show. Brian Shawn is the pro-NDSU guy lakes is whining for...I saw him at most of the events...and honestly, he hardly, if ever talked about UND.

lakesbison
12-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Lakes would blow this freakin town away, i do enough damage in sales that none of them could handle me on the actual sportscasts. I would actually drive up ratings, then the anchors would actually have to work then, and they don't want that.

A) No Und reports
B) No Packer reports
C) No Girls sports reports

that'd be my creedo. (if you want those scores, check our website)

Grizzled
12-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Exactly. I actually listen when I catch him on Hammer's show. Brian Shawn is the pro-NDSU guy lakes is whining for...I saw him at most of the events...and honestly, he hardly, if ever talked about UND.

He actually graduated from und and is a und guy. He is pretty professional though and is able to cover other schools. I talked to him at one of the road games this year and the guy just loves covering sports period. It sucks he's leaving.

ndsubison1
12-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Lakes would blow this freakin town away, i do enough damage in sales that none of them could handle me on the actual sportscasts. I would actually drive up ratings, then the anchors would actually have to work then, and they don't want that.

A) No Und reports
B) No Packer reports

:rofl:

you would lose viewers if you did that

DjKyRo
12-28-2010, 11:17 PM

Curious as to what you mean with these last two lines?

TbonZach
12-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Stephanie Goetz from WDAY is moving to VNL. She'll be a 5:00 anchor and also take an active part in sports reporting.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/302721/publisher_ID/1/

*I feel sorry for the buttons on her shirt. :hide:

mango
12-29-2010, 02:25 AM

He really shouldn't be pro anyone but yes, NDSU should take precedent over UND or national stuff

EndZoneQB
12-29-2010, 03:30 AM
He actually graduated from und and is a und guy. He is pretty professional though and is able to cover other schools. I talked to him at one of the road games this year and the guy just loves covering sports period. It sucks he's leaving.

I figured as such, but you would never know it by watching him. The bolded part is exactly why I think I have respect for him. He seems like he is 100% behind what he is reporting..he seemed like someone with a bright future in a bigger market IMO.

bisonatrix
12-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Curious as to what you mean with these last two lines?

Exactly what it means. How many NDSU alums are in broadcast media? Most everybody here is either from MSU, UND, or out of the area entirely. If people are gonna complain about how anti-NDSU the media can be (IE Lakes), then we best look in the mirror and ask why NDSU ain't producing media people on the TV side.

Grizzled
12-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I figured as such, but you would never know it by watching him. The bolded part is exactly why I think I have respect for him. He seems like he is 100% behind what he is reporting..he seemed like someone with a bright future in a bigger market IMO.

Thats what I meant EndZone. Thats a good way to put it as thats exactly what I was thinking when I talked with him. I don't know what he's leaving for but wouldn't be suprised at all if its for a bigger market.

coldspot
12-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Exactly what it means. How many NDSU alums are in broadcast media? Most everybody here is either from MSU, UND, or out of the area entirely. If people are gonna complain about how anti-NDSU the media can be (IE Lakes), then we best look in the mirror and ask why NDSU ain't producing media people on the TV side.

that's because we didn't have broadcast media courses at NDSU until last year (right?). give it a few years and we will have somebody from NDSU on local television, possibly doing sports.

but, even if we do, he/she shouldn't be an NDSU homer because he/she is supposed to be neutral and objective with how he/she delivers the news. yes, they should give more coverage to NDSU because the athletic department is the pro-team of the city/state from september-may, but so is UND hockey (they are a big deal in the region. tough titty, deal with it.)

Bison bison
12-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Boom goes the dynamite!

Bisonguy
12-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Boom goes the dynamite!

He's in St. Cloud.

met1990
12-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Good luck to Scott.

It's unfortunate he's leaving. He was my all-time favorite local "switch the first letters of their first and last name" media people.

Pottie Sceeters, we hardly knew ye.

imabison
12-29-2010, 11:15 PM

A) No Und reports
B) No Packer reports

And a response to that from an advertiser might be
"My Grandmother lives in lets say Argusville, she LOVES womens
sports, and does not get the paper have have the internet. Please
cancel my advertising contract for your station, and get rid of that
new sports guy."

Just saying...

sambini
12-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Good luck Scott

aces1180
12-30-2010, 02:22 AM
He's in St. Cloud.

Alexandria, actually.

http://ksax.com/article/stories/S1774398.shtml?cat=10298

mango
12-30-2010, 02:51 AM
And a response to that from an advertiser might be
"My Grandmother lives in lets say Argusville, she LOVES womens
sports, and does not get the paper have have the internet. Please
cancel my advertising contract for your station, and get rid of that
new sports guy."

Just saying...

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner

bisonatrix
12-30-2010, 05:52 PM
that's because we didn't have broadcast media courses at NDSU until last year (right?). give it a few years and we will have somebody from NDSU on local television, possibly doing sports.

but, even if we do, he/she shouldn't be an NDSU homer because he/she is supposed to be neutral and objective with how he/she delivers the news. yes, they should give more coverage to NDSU because the athletic department is the pro-team of the city/state from september-may, but so is UND hockey (they are a big deal in the region. tough titty, deal with it.)

I agree your points and we'll see. FWIW I think the media does give NDSU the lion share of the local coverage. If UND didn't have the hockey program they'd really be pretty anonymous

kab1one
01-06-2011, 05:48 AM
I got to vote with Lakes on this one. Grandma is a bad demographic, if they are like Sid's fictional Grandma shut in at the nursing home that needs twins broadcast to make there day, so we need to build a staduim to keep the team type grandma, they don't spend any money, so the advertiser isn't targeting them like now.

I advertise on the Radio Kfan and KFGO and the core market right now is high on the bison, people are still talking about it. This is a vikings town. Go talk to the guy at sports city in the mall. A successful viking team drives his business. The fact that there would not be a women doing predictions wouldn't be missed. Now Lakes and a Donna Valentine talking dating would have Howard Stern Lite written all over it.
THe UND people would listen and then bitch about it because its all bison all the time. Its the little guy complex, if the show talked about bison all the time, the Sioux would want to be part of it. No different then the Sioux wanting to play NDSU in football now.

Lakes actually is pretty good radio, he just needs to act like he has done it before, but the fact he is on KFAN as much as he is, tells you he brings something to the table. They don't need to have him on, they could ignore him, but they don't. The reason is, he is good radio.

Lakes is no different then the common man and common has made a career out of nothing. Many people can't tolerate him ( I can't listen to the guy), but he works. That is how I would view Lakes.

As an aside, what does lakes do all winter?

kab1one
01-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Another thing to remember, if the callers are calling in complaining about Lakes on the air, that means they are listening. Listening means ratings.

Jack Handy
01-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Can we get on board with Dan Hammer as the new play by play Bison TV announcer?

tony
01-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Don't see why not.

coldspot
01-18-2011, 03:25 PM

I've got the feeling that it will be painful for him to do. I'll be alright with him doing it if he can lose the bias and at least be objective in his broadcasts.

lakesbison
01-18-2011, 03:41 PM
What Is Wrong With Everyone On Here Today!?!?

Omg!!

gotts
01-18-2011, 03:52 PM
I've got the feeling that it will be painful for him to do. I'll be alright with him doing it if he can lose the bias and at least be objective in his broadcasts.

Money talks, and subsequently, eases the pain!

gotts
01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
What Is Wrong With Everyone On Here Today!?!?

Omg!!

How's the preparation going for this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1608290/), lakes?

aces1180
01-18-2011, 07:00 PM
From what I read on his FB page*, Peters went to Swanson Health Products...Cited spending more time with his family.

*I was looking at the "people you may he know" feature and his profile came up. I was not looking for it, but I figured what the heck.

99Bison
01-18-2011, 08:46 PM
From what I read on his FB page*, Peters went to Swanson Health Products...Cited spending more time with his family.

*I was looking at the "people you may he know" feature and his profile came up. I was not looking for it, but I figured what the heck.

First rule of stalking... explain the amazing coincidence immediately.

aces1180
01-18-2011, 09:11 PM
First rule of stalking... explain the amazing coincidence immediately.

LOL...It's not stalking if it is put on the Internet, right?