PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Roster - FBs

westnodak93bison
12-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Looks like Grothman(could be pushing 240lb by fall) is the man assuming Bruhn stays or plays TE. Will be interesting to see how the verbal turns out. Looks like he has the size to compete now.

Castor Troy
12-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Looks like Grothman(could be pushing 240lb by fall) is the man assuming Bruhn stays or plays TE. Will be interesting to see how the verbal turns out. Looks like he has the size to compete now.

What are the chances that they move Derrick Lang to FB? We seem to be deep at RB and Lang has that battering ram mentality. I just would really like to see him in the line-up. He's only 212 so he would have to gain atleast 20 pounds and I am not sure about his blocking ability. He will also be able to catch the ball out of the backfield and roll up some yards.

bisontwice
12-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Lang came in as a fullback. Not sure if he couldn't gain the wt or just was a better tailback. Would not be surprised if the move somebody else this spring to play FB-not sure who that would be though. I think Bruhn is staying at TE and will probably the starter there.

DjKyRo
12-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Word on the street is that Amos Buehner (sp?) may be returning to the team as a fullback.

westnodak93bison
12-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Word on the street is that Amos Buehner (sp?) may be returning to the team as a fullback.

Really? I tried to talk him into getting his rear end back to Fargo this summer.
His dad was on my side by the way. Tough kid and I think he may be friends with at least one of our defensive studs.

DjKyRo
12-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Really? I tried to talk him into getting his rear end back to Fargo this summer.
His dad was on my side by the way. Tough kid and I think he may be friends with at least one of our defensive studs.

I've got a source who's reasonably close to the subject, and apparently he's been doing two-hour workouts at the Wellness Center fairly frequently.

I'll say now what I said then - Amos isn't necessarily a game-changer but it's quality depth at a position we're historically strong at. Hope everything works out well for him.

BisoninNWMN
12-24-2010, 10:18 PM
What are the chances that they move Derrick Lang to FB? We seem to be deep at RB and Lang has that battering ram mentality. I just would really like to see him in the line-up. He's only 212 so he would have to gain atleast 20 pounds and I am not sure about his blocking ability. He will also be able to catch the ball out of the backfield and roll up some yards.

Very true. He seems like he could be a good one.

I think Grothman will do well next year as the FB.

BadlandsBison
12-25-2010, 03:09 AM
I've got a source who's reasonably close to the subject, and apparently he's been doing two-hour workouts at the Wellness Center fairly frequently.

I'll say now what I said then - Amos isn't necessarily a game-changer but it's quality depth at a position we're historically strong at. Hope everything works out well for him.

Oh, pretty sure he's gonna be back. Word is, he's working hard! Amos can contribute on special teams and as a blocker.

A1pigskin
12-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Blocking and catching are really important. Extra 20lbs will help.

X-Factor
12-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Blocking and catching are really important. Extra 20lbs will help.

As long as it is the right kind of 20lbs. One kind of 20lbs is easy to add, the other isn't. We want the latter.

perthbison
12-26-2010, 03:11 AM
The main thing is if they have the ability and tenacity to hit their blocks. Another 25lbs. don't matter if you don't hit a defender and prevent them from the runner.

westnodak93bison
12-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Could Lang play LB? He seems to have a hard nosed attitude and has some speed? Did he play LB in high school?

BisoninNWMN
12-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Grothmann is listed as 228 lbs this year. A winter and summer of lifting should add another 10-15 lbs of muscle. Same for Bruhn, he is listed at 232.

Grothmann seems more athletic of the 2, but having both of them is a definite assest.

240-250 FBs coming out to block for DJ......CBs and LBers better look-out...:D

GradBison
12-27-2010, 04:43 PM
If depth at FB is an issue, Voigtlander can contribute there again as he did in the 2009 season.

Edit: Matt is 6' and was listed at 219 lb at the start of the 2010 season.

bisontwice
12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Voit will most likely be punting so doubt if they will want him to be playing fullback

CAS4127
12-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Voit will most likely be punting so doubt if they will want him to be playing fullback

Sounds like it is time to add another play to the playbook. Fake punt--run!!:nod:

AEBison1998
12-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Really deep wildcat! I love it!

GradBison
12-27-2010, 11:19 PM

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

westnodak93bison
12-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Looks like we have some options at this position! :D

coldspot
12-28-2010, 05:46 PM

http://www.dailyhaggis.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/o_rly.jpg

Bison bison
12-28-2010, 06:02 PM

you're either on something...

bisontwice
12-28-2010, 11:50 PM
We'll see come spring ball. He was already the backup this fall. Let's see-DJ, Mike Sigers, Sam Ojuri all back. Senior year down on the depth chart or punt?

BisoninNWMN
12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
We'll see come spring ball. He was already the backup this fall. Let's see-DJ, Mike Sigers, Sam Ojuri all back. Senior year down on the depth chart or punt?

Maybe use him on 3rd or 4th and short instead of a QB option or a slow developing off tackle lead......the kid hits the hole fast and hard.

Grizzled
12-29-2010, 05:24 PM
......the kid hits the hole fast and hard.

Thats what she said

IzzyFlexion
12-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Thats what she said
Will you please be serious for one minute?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5186872935_4d392e30bf.jpg

perthbison
12-30-2010, 12:05 AM
I beleive voight could do well at fullback. Be good to get him on the field more oft. If indeed he is the punter, he could be a FB in a pinch.

DePereBisonFan
12-30-2010, 01:54 PM
I beleive voight could do well at fullback. Be good to get him on the field more oft. If indeed he is the punter, he could be a FB in a pinch.

You foresee a lot of fake punts and field goals next year? Maybe a fake punt on fourth and 2 with, say, 2 minutes left in the game at the opposing 37 yard line or so? :banghead:

perthbison
12-31-2010, 09:36 PM
You foresee a lot of fake punts and field goals next year? Maybe a fake punt on fourth and 2 with, say, 2 minutes left in the game at the opposing 37 yard line or so? :banghead:

Wouldn't that have been sweet?:banghead: I definately would have gone for it somehow at that spot on the field.:(

HerdBot
01-04-2011, 07:16 PM

He would be a great fullback. Maybe a little undersides but when you can have a fullback with feature back speed, that's a great thing. How many teams have a fullback that can break a 50 yard run? He's played it before too.

I like guys like Vandal too but the defense knows he's not going to get the ball. You can run Voight as a lead blocker 15 plays in a row and when he gets a touch on play 16 the defense will be shocked when he gets the ball and is running past them.

He's probably too light to play as much as a guy like Vandal but then again he holds up just fine on special teams. Add an extra 10 pounds this summer and we will have a phenomenal fullback.

DJ & Sigers
Or
DJ & Voight
Speed and weapons

IzzyFlexion
01-05-2011, 12:43 AM
He would be a great fullback. Maybe a little undersides but when you can have a fullback with feature back speed, that's a great thing. How many teams have a fullback that can break a 50 yard run? He's played it before too.

I like guys like Vandal too but the defense knows he's not going to get the ball. You can run Voight as a lead blocker 15 plays in a row and when he gets a touch on play 16 the defense will be shocked when he gets the ball and is running past them.

Well, hard to argue with that.

In 2008 NDSU recorded 411 rushing attempts. 2008 rushing attempts by Bison fullbacks = 4. (Jangula, 3: Vandal, 1)

In 2009 NDSU recorded 422 rushing attempts. 2009 rushing attempts by Bison fullbacks = 2. (Bruhn, 2)

In 2010 NDSU recorded 537 rushing attempts. 2010 rushing attempts by Bison fullbacks = ZERO.

So, 6 rushing attempts by Bison Fullbacks out of 1,370 rushing attempts over three seasons. Yah, I'd say that might make it a little easier for opponents to scout us.

DjKyRo
01-05-2011, 12:51 AM

In 2008 NDSU recorded 411 rushing attempts. 2008 rushing attempts by Bison fullbacks = 4. (Jangula, 3: Vandal, 1)

In 2009 NDSU recorded 422 rushing attempts. 2009 rushing attempts by Bison fullbacks = 2. (Grothmann, 2)

In 2010 NDSU recorded 537 rushing attempts. 2010 rushing attempts by Bison fullbacks = ZERO.

So, 6 rushing attempts by Bison Fullbacks out of 1,370 rushing attempts over three seasons. Yah, I'd say that might make it a little easier for opponents to scout us.

Was it REALLY zero? Holy buckets.

IzzyFlexion
01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Was it REALLY zero? Holy buckets.

'fraid so.:smh: :smh:

HerdBot
01-05-2011, 01:44 AM

In 2009 NDSU recorded 422 rushing attempts. 2009 rushing attempts by Bison fullbacks = 2. (Grothmann, 2)

Yeah its safe to say they will not key in on the fullback. Plus a guy like Vandal is not a threat to run. He's good for one "oooooh" hit per year and a short gain. I'd rather see Voight run past them. Remember when Roehl was fullback? I did some checking and in 06-07 we averaged 25 receptions and close to 300 yards receiving out of the fullback position. We even got some TDs. Vigen uses the fullback even less in the passing game. Of course in 06 we had Steffes with Roehl catching swing passes.

bisontwice
01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Voight has about as much chance of playing FB as I do of winning the lottery, and I didn't even buy a ticket. At this level you don't do "spot duty" at FB when you are the punter.

HerdBot
01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Voight has about as much chance of playing FB as I do of winning the lottery, and I didn't even buy a ticket. At this level you don't do "spot duty" at FB when you are the punter.

He started a game at fullback 2 years ago. You must be rich!

bisonhp330
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM

are you including rushing attempts in practice? Grothmann was a redshirt in 2009..........

IzzyFlexion
01-06-2011, 12:27 AM

In 2009 NDSU recorded 422 rushing attempts. 2009 rushing attempts by Bison fullbacks = 2. (Bruhn, 2)

are you including rushing attempts in practice? Grothmann was a redshirt in 2009..........

Sorry. Meant Bruhn.
Corrected in original.

westnodak93bison
01-06-2011, 01:37 AM
FB does not need to run the ball in WCO. I grew up watching San Fran under Walsh run the WCO to perfection. FB needs to obviously be a crushing blocker and have the threat of catching the ball out of the backfield. I don't think a half dozen plays for the FB is too much to ask. That would help create unpredictable balance imho.

HerdBot
01-06-2011, 04:32 AM
FB does not need to run the ball in WCO. I grew up watching San Fran under Walsh run the WCO to perfection. FB needs to obviously be a crushing blocker and have the threat of catching the ball out of the backfield. I don't think a half dozen plays for the FB is too much to ask. That would help create unpredictable balance imho.

I agree. It doesn't necessarily have to be Voightlander who gets more plays either. Just make the fullback a little more involved so it's less predictible. Bruhn and Grothman were both good running backs in high school so they can handle it. All they need is a few extra touches per game to keep the defense off balance.

But I don't think either of them have the explosiveness of Voightlander.

I wish we could figure out a way for Voight to see the field a little more because he's a playmaker and this is his last year. Clearly we can't cut down DJ's load and we need Sigers to get the ball more too. How about play him at fullback and running back to give DJ a rest? How about kick returner? Do we really want our starting wide receiver returning kickoffs? It's not like he can't do it... has played fb, hb, wr, special teams.... guess he can punt too.

SDbison
01-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Vigen is an idiot.........why is he NDSU's offensive coordinator? Why is he even a QB coach?

westnodak93bison
01-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Vigen is an idiot.........why is he NDSU's offensive coordinator? Why is he even a QB coach?

Probably because he is close to Bohl, probably a yes man and is a Bison alumnus. Hard to get rid of or demote a guy like that I suppose.

SDbison
01-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Probably because he is close to Bohl, probably a yes man and is a Bison alumnus. Hard to get rid of or demote a guy like that I suppose.
How can an o-coordinator NEVER use his fullback in one running play all season long? Also NEVER use a QB sneak all season long? In addition, if NDSU uses West Coast offense how come the TE's are so under-utilized? Seems Vigen's play calling is the biggest WEAK SPOT on the offense. It ENABLES opposing Defenses to focus on a limited number of plays and makes their job EASIER.
Obviously Bohl loves Vigen, and is apparently willing to make NDSU's defense make up for the lack of offense. Sorry coach Bohl, you can't expect the turnover margin to be as kind next year and the defense to fill in enough to make a few more W's. Without a consistently effective offense next year the Bison will fall back to a 6-5 record. You heard it here first. Mark it down!

tony
01-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Not really getting all the angst.

Give your best runners the ball. If you think that the FB on NDSU's team were the best runners, then I really don't know what to say.

When Tyler Roehl was FB, long before Vigen was OC, he ran for 14 yards on 8 attempts in an entire season. His first season as FB, he ran 2 times. The FBs on NDSU's roster right now are good but they aren't anywhere close to being the runner that Roehl was. If you think they are such good ball carriers, lobby for them to get put at TB... at least that would make some sort of sense.

What is so hard to understand? FBs in NDSU's offense don't carry the ball. They block and they catch. Whining about how the FB doesn't get enough carries is like whining about how the TE doesn't get enough carries.

To me, this is just another case of people trying to find a reason, no matter how ridiculous, to rip on Vigen.

lakesbison
01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
So your in favor of Vigen staying tony?

U take devils advocate view and convince us then,cuz no one has yet thanks.

Not trying to be a dick, I'm being serious. Cool?

tony
01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
So your in favor of Vigen staying tony?

U take devils advocate view and convince us then,cuz no one has yet thanks.

Yeah, I'm in favor of him staying. I'm not a huge believer in the 3" thick playbook or being tricky.

I'd like some minor adjustments, not major ones.

lakesbison
01-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Fair enough.

As I stated on scouting ndsu thread. That makes it far too easy to scheme vs ndsu. O well.

CAS4127
01-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I'm in favor of him staying. I'm not a huge believer in the 3" thick playbook or being tricky.

I'd like some minor adjustments, not major ones.

I agree with this, but the question then becomes whether Vigen is capable of using what we have plus a few others not currently in the playbook, and then adding or deleting some depending on the opponent, and calling correct plays at the correct time--we shall see next year, as I do believe he will still be here.

HerdBot
01-06-2011, 04:56 PM
How can an o-coordinator NEVER use his fullback in one running play all season long? Also NEVER use a QB sneak all season long? In addition, if NDSU uses West Coast offense how come the TE's are so under-utilized? Seems Vigen's play calling is the biggest WEAK SPOT on the offense. It ENABLES opposing Defenses to focus on a limited number of plays and makes their job EASIER.
Obviously Bohl loves Vigen, and is apparently willing to make NDSU's defense make up for the lack of offense. Sorry coach Bohl, you can't expect the turnover margin to be as kind next year and the defense to fill in enough to make a few more W's. Without a consistently effective offense next year the Bison will fall back to a 6-5 record. You heard it here first. Mark it down!

There's 2 ways to fix that. Get a new OC or improve Vigen. I would prefer he tries to improve instead of starting over from scratch.

I must also add he didn't run a single end around or reverse until the playoffs.

I would imagine that has something to do with the inexperience and revolving door at QB.

Kermit
01-06-2011, 04:57 PM
How can an o-coordinator NEVER use his fullback in one running play all season long? Also NEVER use a QB sneak all season long?

As good as DJ is, he isn't a great short yardage back. Lang might be a possibility, but using the FB or QB would be other good options at times.

SDbison
01-06-2011, 05:09 PM
As good as DJ is, he isn't a great short yardage back. Lang might be a possibility, but using the FB or QB would be other good options at times.
Exactly my point........you don't do either but a few times a game at most. Just keeps a defense honest and likely helps convert those short yardage on 3rd and 4th downs. Bison were not very good at that this year. Blame Vigen for over use of the same couple plays that every defense worked on the week before the game. Is Vigen incompetent, plain stupid or what? NDSU deserves better at this key coaching position.

tony
01-06-2011, 05:11 PM

DJ can be taught to get his pads down on short yardage plays. If not, yeah, maybe somebody else should line up at RB in those situations. In short yardage, handing off to your RB is the better option than the FB 19 times out 20. I don't even see how there can be a debate about that - it's a fact that any conceivable candidate for NDSU's offensive coordinator is going to agree with. If you want a FB to carry the ball in short yardage, put in two FBs and have the one who is going to get the ball line up as RB.

You are sadly mistaken if you think you can fire Vigen and find an OC who thinks differently.

herdmember
01-06-2011, 05:18 PM

This is an excellent point Kermit. Voit in short yardage more would have been nice maybe.

I think we kind of 'figured out' the correct formula for this team in the playoffs. Like the old Nebraska teams, pretty vanilla, but wore the speedy/flashy/undersized teams down and then in the 2nd half we dominated.

Not sure if it will work in the MVC as well as it did against Robert Morris and the Big Sky though because of different philosophies. Plus we may open it up more next year if QB (Jensen) is more experienced.

NDSU definitely needs to get a little less predictable. Who in the building didn't know Sigers was getting it on an end around whenever he lined up wide left for example??

tony
01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
NDSU definitely needs to get a little less predictable. Who in the building didn't know Sigers was getting it on an end around whenever he lined up wide left for example??

Heh, I even disagree with this. NDSU doesn't need to get less predictable. They need to execute better. The end around is a different animal: If you are going to run what is essentially a trick play, you can't run it that often.

The absolute worst plays I saw last year occurred when NDSU tried to be unpredictable and people want more of it? OK, let's do a triple reverse with a passback to Billy Turner who will then throw it 50 yards to a streaking Brock Jenson. BRILLIANT! Of course, even if it works once, it's not going to win a championship. :)

Of course, nobody will agree with me but I think playcalling is only a tiny component to winning a game. It's only important in rare situations. Recruit. Prepare. Execute. Dominate. That's how you win.

TransAmBison
01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Heh, I even disagree with this. NDSU doesn't need to get less predictable. They need to execute better. The end around is a different animal: If you are going to run what is essentially a trick play, you can't run it that often.

The absolute worst plays I saw last year occurred when NDSU tried to be unpredictable and people want more of it? OK, let's do a triple reverse with a passback to Billy Turner who will then throw it 50 yards to a streaking Brock Jenson. BRILLIANT! Of course, even if it works once, it's not going to win a championship. :)

Of course, nobody will agree with me but I don't think playcalling is only a tiny component to winning a game. It's only important in rare situations. Recruit. Prepare. Execute. Dominate. That's how you win.
Yeah, I don't agree with the last paragraph. Playcalling is very important when matching up with peer institutions. They do all the same things we do...and if they know the call...it is a lot harder for us to execute. If we are playing a lesser team you can run over them even if they know what is coming, but it is hard to do that with most teams in our conference. In my opinion we have shot ourselves in the foot for a couple years now with our playcalling. I'm hoping Vigen isn't just reloading.

tony
01-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I don't agree with the last paragraph. Playcalling is very important when matching up with peer institutions. They do all the same things we do...and if they know the call...it is a lot harder for us to execute. If we are playing a lesser team you can run over them even if they know what is coming, but it is hard to do that with most teams in our conference. In my opinion we have shot ourselves in the foot for a couple years now with our playcalling. I'm hoping Vigen isn't just reloading.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think you can toss out the playbook every week and expect to execute.

Any adjustments from game to game should be to exploit good matchups. Time and time again, NDSU has won games by sticking to what works. Take Minnesota - they were horrible against the pass and good against the run. IMO, NDSU loses both of those games by at least three TDs if the Bison had tried to win those games by passing 3 out of 4 downs.

But just to see how far off we are: Where would you stick "Baffle them with clever playcalling" in this list? :)

Recruit. Prepare. Execute. Dominate.

TransAmBison
01-06-2011, 05:45 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think you can toss out the playbook every week and expect to execute.

Any adjustments from game to game should be to exploit good matchups. Time and time again, NDSU has won games by sticking to what works. Take Minnesota - they were horrible against the pass and good against the run. IMO, NDSU loses both of those games by at least three TDs if the Bison had tried to win those games by passing 3 out of 4 downs.
Holy cow, is that an extreme or what? I never said all plays had to be new! It just should not be so obvious when we are going to have Sigers run and end around. Hey, maybe attack one side for a while and throw in a counter. Maybe pass a few out patterns or the receiver screenish type play, and then pump and go. Maybe have the fullback carry the ball once or twice IN A SEASON to at least give the defenses the belief we could possibly give the ball to someone else. QB sneak...nuff said on that one.

The "baffling them" is also very extreme. I'm looking for more of a middle ground. We won't baffle them, but it would be better than if they seemed to be in the huddle with us. Seriously, our offense was the joke of the conference. Am I starting to sound like SD?

CAS4127
01-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Of course, nobody will agree with me but I think playcalling is only a tiny component to winning a game. It's only important in rare situations. Recruit. Prepare. Execute. Dominate. That's how you win.

If that were the case, then why even have an OC that calls the plays? Perhaps we have a different definition of "play calling", but it is very important in the grand scheme of things. The OC has to know down and distance tendencies of the the D, just as the DC has to know down and distance tendencies of the offense. With just those two things in the mix, play calling is very important. As a simple example, if you have run the same play on 3rd and two in you last three games, and then you run the same play on your first 3rd and 2 in the next game, my bet goes with a D stop. Even the players are given down and distances tendencies/formations to study during the week. As such, "creative" play calling is important. By "creative" I don't mean a triple reverse QB throw back, I mean either a different play call that will work against the D you are expecting because of your/their tendencies, or a spin-off of your "tendency play" out of the exact same formation.

tcbison
01-06-2011, 05:50 PM

I think playcalling is huge. If you have the right play call all you need to do is execute it. There are times when you can run the same play over and over and get away with it but not against good teams in a good conferences. If anyone follows the NFL you will know that they run a lot of unscouted plays, meaning they rarely run the same exact play twice. They are constantly coming up with new alignments and shifts. A lot of teams impliment a whole new playbook halfway through the season. I highly doubt NDSU does this right now. Heck, when NDSU beat the Gophers even the announces said they keep running the same plays over and over again. NDSU needs to be more in that mode, where they are constantly keeping the defense guessing. That is where playcalling comes IHMO.

ndsubison1
01-06-2011, 07:34 PM
NDSU doesn't need to get less predictable.

Every other MVC team agrees with you too :hide:

semobison
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
We were awful on offense last season in conference! When you look at the stats of conference only games, it makes you wonder how we won 4 games!
We were dead last in:

Scoring offense!
Total offense!
First downs!
Red zone offense!
Sacks against!
Penalties!
3rd down conversion!

Our 3rd down conversion rate was really bad 25%!.... 49.6% was the leader, while 8th ranked was 36.3%!!!
We attempted the second fewest passes, but were sacked 28 times! Nobody else was sacked more then 19 times! Thats what happens when the only time you throw is on 3rd and long!

herdmember
01-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Yes, less predictable is very different than 'getting cute' or 'trick plays'. I don't want any of those things and am very much against that. Going back to the Sigers end around example, I'm just saying we could run a dive or a slant or whatever out of that formation a few times so the whole world doesn't know what's coming whenever we are in that formation.

I am very comfortable with our strength being our O line, running game, and a strong D. Especially this year with our QB situation, we HAD to do that, so kudos to our staff for that.

HerdBot
01-07-2011, 04:27 AM
DJ can be taught to get his pads down on short yardage plays. If not, yeah, maybe somebody else should line up at RB in those situations. In short yardage, handing off to your RB is the better option than the FB 19 times out 20. I don't even see how there can be a debate about that - it's a fact that any conceivable candidate for NDSU's offensive coordinator is going to agree with. If you want a FB to carry the ball in short yardage, put in two FBs and have the one who is going to get the ball line up as RB.

You are sadly mistaken if you think you can fire Vigen and find an OC who thinks differently.

The exception is 2006. 3rd and 1 do you hand off to Steffes or the fullback named Tyler Roehl?

SDbison
01-07-2011, 04:59 AM
We were awful on offense last season in conference! When you look at the stats of conference only games, it makes you wonder how we won 4 games!
We were dead last in:

Scoring offense!
Total offense!
First downs!
Red zone offense!
Sacks against!
Penalties!
3rd down conversion!

Our 3rd down conversion rate was really bad 25%!.... 49.6% was the leader, while 8th ranked was 36.3%!!!
We attempted the second fewest passes, but were sacked 28 times! Nobody else was sacked more then 19 times! Thats what happens when the only time you throw is on 3rd and long!
Good stuff semo..........do you think Bohl and Vigen look at those numbers? Seriously, the offense was crap way too often last year. That has to change or Vigen has to go.

BisoninNWMN
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Good stuff semo..........do you think Bohl and Vigen look at those numbers? Seriously, the offense was crap way too often last year. That has to change or Vigen has to go.

Agreed.

We had a nice run in the playoffs using our running game against 3 "finesse" teams.

Passing game needs to improve....period.

I'm skeptical that Vigen will change his ways next year. He needs to improve more than the passing game, IMO.

If Vigen is a cluster**ck next year, Bohl better replace him.