PDA

View Full Version : Oversigning recruits

JSUBison
12-24-2010, 02:20 AM
http://oversigning.com/testing/

I stumbled across this site, and some of you may find it interesting, and a bit confusing. I've only read a fraction of what's there, but to summarize, some schools are signing many more recruits than they have schollies for. A coach then gets his pick of his bloated recruiting class crop; yanking schollies, pressuring kids to transfer, medical hardship abuse, etc to get down to the scholarship limit.

Alabama seems to be the biggest abuser of this. Next year they have 8 scholarships open, and have signed around 20 kids.

This seems like a shady, unethical thing to do, yet it seems violates no NCAA rules?

Conversely, the "right way" it seems is to keep a slot or two open each year for a walk-on that has proven himself.

I know some of you know quite a bit about the recruiting process, am I close to the mark on this?

BisonNolesFan77
12-24-2010, 05:47 AM
http://oversigning.com/testing/

I stumbled across this site, and some of you may find it interesting, and a bit confusing. I've only read a fraction of what's there, but to summarize, some schools are signing many more recruits than they have schollies for. A coach then gets his pick of his bloated recruiting class crop; yanking schollies, pressuring kids to transfer, medical hardship abuse, etc to get down to the scholarship limit.

Alabama seems to be the biggest abuser of this. Next year they have 8 scholarships open, and have signed around 20 kids.

This seems like a shady, unethical thing to do, yet it seems violates no NCAA rules?

Conversely, the "right way" it seems is to keep a slot or two open each year for a walk-on that has proven himself.

I know some of you know quite a bit about the recruiting process, am I close to the mark on this?

Bama has not "signed" anyone yet unless they are a JC transfer. It's pretty common place in college football, and Bama is not the only school to do it, and really, how is it shady? A scholarship is a one year, renewable contract, if you were at a job for 3 years and didn't perfrom up to your expectations, would you expect to be at that job for a 4th year?

BCS conference college football is a big money business, when you have the type of money wrapped up in football programs that Bama, UT, OU, LSU, UF, etc. have, you treat it like a business. Why would you waste a scholarship on a soon to be senior who has had 3 years in the program, never lived up to expectations, will never see the field, etc. when you can use it on someone who will come in and compete and contribute.

Biggest thing, stop thinking of a scholarship as a 4 or 5 year contract, it's not. It's a business, people need to start looking at it that way. If you don't perform, we will get someone in here who does or has the potential to.

And before you go and throw out medical hardship abuse, also known as a medical non-counter, do a little research on what it is. It allows the player to stay in school, school that is payed for as if he were still on scholarship, but does not count against the scholarship limit, and finish his education.