PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Roster - TEs

westnodak93bison
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
What happened to Veldman? Looks like Bruhn may be the starter? I don't think Nelson has hit the field yet and Vaadeland has been injured alot. Could another true freshman come in and contribute?

bisontwice
12-23-2010, 12:43 PM
I would be surprised if Bruhn is not the starting TE. He is more physical-better blocker than Veldman and has good hands. Veldman is continually injured and has been unwilling to block or catch the ball unless thrown directly to him. Nelson has potential to make a difference as well. Maybe Veldman will step us as a senior but so far lots of potential hasn't translated into much on the field.

mgbison
12-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I agree about the comment regarding Veldman. He has been a flop thus far. He's a terrible blocker and thats all I've heard. He looks good on paper, but just hasn't panned out.

Castor Troy
12-23-2010, 01:45 PM
I agree about the comment regarding Veldman. He has been a flop thus far. He's a terrible blocker and thats all I've heard. He looks good on paper, but just hasn't panned out.

I have been patiently waiting for him to blow up. It is really important for us to have a standout tight end, especially with our young QB. I thought Landon did a nice job for most of the season, but we need more of an offensive threat at TE to make this WC offense work.

lakesbison
12-23-2010, 01:53 PM
did we even have 1 TE seam play called this year? it was an embarassment for the O.Coord not to call for one of these, seriously, I dont recall 1 TE seam.

CAS4127
12-23-2010, 02:01 PM
did we even have 1 TE seam play called this year? it was an embarassment for the O.Coord not to call for one of these, seriously, I dont recall 1 TE seam.

Yes, I recall we had one, and it went for a touchdown. I want to say it was called in one of the last two regular season home games. It's a shame we didn't or couldn't go to it more than that, especially when it went to TD--30 yards or so as I recall.

Castor Troy
12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes, I recall we had one, and it went for a touchdown. I want to say it was called in one of the last two regular season home games. It's a shame we didn't or couldn't go to it more than that, especially when it went to TD--30 yards or so as I recall.

That was Landon in the SIU game, right?

Bison"FANatic"
12-23-2010, 02:10 PM
They threw a few this year that I remember. but I also remember a WR being about 5 yards behind the TE coming on a post route and he ran his defender right into the play. I guess maybe we were playing tippy ball with the tight end tipping it up and hoping the wr would catch it.:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

CAS4127
12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
That was Landon in the SIU game, right?

That sounds correct. And I believe SIU runs a 3-4, which, if in cover 2 or "Tampa 2" would create a soft spot in the seam where the strong side MLB would have to run with the TE. But we saw a lot of 3-4's this year, yet still didn't run this play, or at least we did not do so effectively. VIGEN!!!!

lakesbison
12-23-2010, 02:12 PM
you guys found 1!! sweet!!

westnodak93bison
12-23-2010, 02:12 PM
ok if Veldman has trouble blocking(for whatever reason) couldn't we use him as a receiver? Huge target, how can we use him?

mgbison
12-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Also, the Kansas game in the endzone when Holloway and Veldman ran into each other, preventing the touchdown. I don't know who's to blame on that play but someone I know said it was Veldman not Holloway. (ps, I really don't remember much of the 2nd half at KU due to the irish car bomb and jose shots at the oread during halftime)

CAS4127
12-23-2010, 02:14 PM
ok if Veldman has trouble blocking(for whatever reason) couldn't we use him as a receiver? Huge target, how can we use him?

By yanking his scholarship and signing another TE. If the guy doesn't want to play hard, show him how much you appreciate it! Just sayin!!

BisonNeil
12-26-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't see the coaches moving Bruhn to TE, he is only 6'1", Smith was 6'2" and too short to be effective in the passing game as a TE. Besides, after this year there will only be two FBs on the roster, I don't understand the philosophy here of moving one of them and then being exactly one deep at that position which has had a history of injuries over the past four years or so.

My guess is Nelson will step up. He was only a RFr this past year and I think has star potential as both a blocker and a pass catcher. At 6'4" and 253 he has the physical attributes. Vaadeland does also (6'4" 245) but seems injury prone.

I never wanted to post this before but I know the father of Veldman's best friend in high school. According to him, Veldman told his best friend that if he had known college football was going to be so much work he wouldn't have done it. I think this officially, in my book, puts him on the 'bust' list. I agree with CAS, jerk his scholarship.

westnodak93bison
12-26-2010, 04:13 PM
imho, if any player thinks playing FB is too much work they need to go. I would classify that as a bad attitude. They need to realize it is a job and they are earning their tuition, room and board. In this day and age that is pretty big money. Many of us would have loved to come out of college with no student loans.

semobison
12-26-2010, 05:16 PM
I dont know if I would call it a bad attitude! Maybe his priorities are getting an education and finding a job when he graduates. If he doesnt have time to give it a 100% he should step away and give up his scholorship though!

westnodak93bison
12-26-2010, 05:45 PM
If any kid thinks playing FB and going to college is "too much work" then I hope they never get married, have a house and kids cause if they do they will be in for a rude awakening.

bisontwice
12-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Just a correction regarding Bruhn. He played TE all year this year so it would not be a move. IMO he will be starting spring ball at the #1 TE spot. Can't see him being moved back to fullback.

Mr. Burgundy
12-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Just a correction regarding Bruhn. He played TE all year this year so it would not be a move. IMO he will be starting spring ball at the #1 TE spot. Can't see him being moved back to fullback.

I hope he is too. I think he has good hands, is a tough kid and can make some moves after the catch. Taylor Nelson has a bright future as well. Looks like the FB/TE positions are in good hands, especially with the two verbals we already have coming in at those two positions.

lakesbison
12-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Neil. Bull S ___

Come to the next bball game and sit with us and ask veldman that. What a joke, this kid was frustrated a lot this year with off. Calls.

steelbison
12-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Neil. Bull S ___

Come to the next bball game and sit with us and ask veldman that. What a joke, this kid was frustrated a lot this year with off. Calls.

Totally agree with Lakes. Taking shots at a kid because of some hearsay from BisonNeil?

What wrong with some of you!!! You are ripping this kid. Real question. How many balls did we throw his way this year? maybe 8-10 Not a lot of oppourtunity to do much.

I remember the kid that made a nice catch against Iowa State. Kid can be effective if used properly. Definitely not the best blocking TE we have but in my opinion the best rec. option we have.

How about supporting the kids who are out there busting their ass instead of ripping them. I'm sure you all go to practice everyday and watch to make sure he's as awful as you say.

Everyone that has played college sports knows College is a LOT of work. That is obvious. That's a fact. Nothing to be beat up about.

westnodak93bison
12-27-2010, 02:03 AM
Is it safe to say that Veldman had so few balls thrown his way because he was often injured and not the greatest blocker therefore he is a liability in run situations?

BisonNeil
12-27-2010, 03:10 AM
Totally agree with Lakes. Taking shots at a kid because of some hearsay from BisonNeil?

What wrong with some of you!!! You are ripping this kid. Real question. How many balls did we throw his way this year? maybe 8-10 Not a lot of oppourtunity to do much.

I remember the kid that made a nice catch against Iowa State. Kid can be effective if used properly. Definitely not the best blocking TE we have but in my opinion the best rec. option we have.

How about supporting the kids who are out there busting their ass instead of ripping them. I'm sure you all go to practice everyday and watch to make sure he's as awful as you say.

Everyone that has played college sports knows College is a LOT of work. That is obvious. That's a fact. Nothing to be beat up about.

Not ripping on the kid, just told that by a father who has known the kid for years. Not a rumor or hearsay, it is what it is.

You can say hurt but he played in 10 games, out of 14, and caught four balls. Four, as in 4!

Let's not forget, Veldman lost his starting role after spring practice. Not because he was hurt, but because he got beat out by a journeyman TE who worked harder. Period, end of story.

ndsubison1
12-27-2010, 06:55 AM

Do I think the statement from BisonNeil is true? Who knows. But I do usually trust and respect his posts. From what I've seen, Veldman is a soft player. He is weak and not physical at all. This is not a personal attack on the player at all. Just something I've gathered from watching his play on the field

silkamilkamonico
12-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Neil. Bull S ___

Who cares about rumors and speculation.
Who cares about the excuses.

Veldman just isn't a very good player, IMHO. Time to move on and give someone else a chance there. He has had 3-4 years now. How much time should he get to figure it out?

BisoninNWMN
12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Do I think the statement from BisonNeil is true? Who knows. But I do usually trust and respect his posts. From what I've seen, Veldman is a soft player. He is weak and not physical at all. This is not a personal attack on the player at all. Just something I've gathered from watching his play on the field

Agreed.

His run blocking was poor at best this season. Smith beat him out plain and simple. Veldman has huge potential but it is down to his last year.....maybe he could break out and have a big year. In order to do that he better work on his run blocking because the Bison are going to........RUN the ball.

But what a weapon to have in the red-zone......6-7 TE!! The Missouri State TE last year that ate us up was 6-3 or 6-4 but he could get himself open and he was strong physically....well it seemed like he lifted a lot of weights with his physique.

If Veldman gives the off-season 100% he could have a good year. If he is a "slacker" like some have indicated then he will be buried down on the depth chart.

On_the_road
12-27-2010, 03:27 PM

We had multiple TE seam plays called. Veldman either didn't catch the ball or didn't hustle down field causing overthrows. Veldman had injured his groin quite a while ago and I understand that he complained about it all season. Hopefully he fully recovers or we find a good replacement that will block and catch the ball.

Grizzled
12-29-2010, 02:04 AM
Veldman has underperfomed.

Other TE's on the roster won't be standouts but will be just like the ones we had this year and years past. Solid, physical blockers who could be effective in the passing game IF the coaches want to use them.

Kid coming from Kansas has the potential to be pretty good. He is a real physical blocker who will fit in nicely.

All that is irrelevant in this thread because my favorite part is lakes trying to call someone out for posting what he thinks is a rumor. Haha, there has been times I've told lakes things I've heard and 5 minutes later they are on this board. Now I know they are true when I tell him but lakes just throws them out there after hearing them from someone on a message board. I love reading your posts lakes but you make me scratch my head sometimes. Your the king of posting rumors on any board.

lakesbison
12-29-2010, 04:40 AM
not true grizzled. I hear from good sources, my tv station, coaches,players in that order, RELAX.

BisoninNWMN
12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
not true grizzled. I hear from good sources, my tv station, coaches,players in that order, RELAX.

Then why do think what Neil has said is not the truth? He was told by Veldman's good friend's father....now, IMO, that probably is true.

Whatever the case, he has underachieved IMO and needs to step it up for next year.

Tatanka
12-29-2010, 01:42 PM
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the....

oh the hell with it.

Grizzled
12-29-2010, 03:35 PM

You forgot PM's from random people with made up screen names.

You need to relax. I'm just giving you sh*#. I have no problem with people posting things on this board. Its a message board and no one has to believe anything. I just think its funny you try to post anything you hear as fact and when someone else posts something you call them out.

Anyways, back to the TE talk. We'll continue to be solid there. Besides RB its been the one position on our team where we have had solid play for the last ten years. We do this with a GA as a position coach as well. I always wondered for as important as that position is to our or could be to our offense what if we looked at getting a full time coach at that spot? Whats everyone's thoughts on that?

Notorious
12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
You forgot PM's from random people with made up screen names.

You need to relax. I'm just giving you sh*#. I have no problem with people posting things on this board. Its a message board and no one has to believe anything. I just think its funny you try to post anything you hear as fact and when someone else posts something you call them out.

Anyways, back to the TE talk. We'll continue to be solid there. Besides RB its been the one position on our team where we have had solid play for the last ten years. We do this with a GA as a position coach as well. I always wondered for as important as that position is to our or could be to our offense what if we looked at getting a full time coach at that spot? Whats everyone's thoughts on that?

You'd be surprised how many GAs outwork full-time coaches....

bisonfan08
12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
I think what everyone here has agreed on is Veldman has underperformed. I hear a lot of excuses being posted but when it comes down to it you can name any player on the team and I'm sure at some point during the season they had some sort of injury, guys with heart suck it up and play through it and don't complain. Every single guy on that team is a student as well as an athelete and there's no doubt there are challenges there but to be a student athlete it's a challenge you accept when you sign that line to accept the universities money to pay for your education. There are a lot of players I'm sure who were frustrated the playcalling this season just as we all were as fans, but they went out and played their asses off to get where they got. If he doesn't want to put the effort in and doesn't want to tough it out then he can ride the bench as far as I'm concerned. There's no doubt he has the size and the talent to be something special in the passing game, but if the coaches can't rely on you in the run game they can't just put you in when they want to throw you the ball or the defense will know exactly what's going on. He needs to add some muscle and show some heart if he wants to play, if not there's plenty of other guys who will step up to the challenge. I have nothing against Veldman and his life choices are his to make and I wish him the best either way, but to hear posts about him complaining about things when we don't see the effort on the field just doesn't sit well with me. If you want the scholarship money and want to play then put in the effort and play, if not then give it up there are thousands of high school players dying to make a D1 football team who would gladly take the scholarship money and will give it everything they have.

Grizzled
12-29-2010, 04:38 PM
You'd be surprised how many GAs outwork full-time coaches....

I'm not questioning their work ethic but every coach has a different coaching style and coaches technique very different. When a player comes here and has 3 different coaches by the time he's gone I just wonder if it ever stunts development.

I think our GA's have been great coaches but its just something I always wonder about. To be fair though we've had other positions with full time coaches that have also been a revolving door. The LB corps had a new coach every year for a little stretch as well.

CAS4127
12-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm not questioning their work ethic but every coach has a different coaching style and coaches technique very different. When a player comes here and has 3 different coaches by the time he's gone I just wonder if it ever stunts development.

I think our GA's have been great coaches but its just something I always wonder about. To be fair though we've had other positions with full time coaches that have also been a revolving door. The LB corps had a new coach every year for a little stretch as well.

1983-84, Morton; 1985-86-Solomonson; 1987-2000-Hager = 4 National Championships--just saying!

Notorious
12-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Agree with your point above...good GAs bring a great level of energy and are hungry to excel, it seems.

Grizzled
12-29-2010, 05:20 PM
1983-84, Morton; 1985-86-Solomonson; 1987-2000-Hager = 4 National Championships--just saying!

3 different coaches over almost 15 years isn't bad for some of our positions. I'm talking some of our players have had 3-4 different coaches after being here 5 years.
Just sayin.

CAS4127
12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
My class went through three different head coaches in our five years and won or were a part of three NC's--just sayin!!!!!!!

BisonNeil
12-29-2010, 05:36 PM
My class went through three different head coaches in our five years and won or were a part of three NC's--just sayin!!!!!!!

True enough, but they all came from within the same system and were promoted. I think this is perhaps a bit different than having 3 different GAs from the outside come in with different philosophies.

steelbison
12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I think what everyone here has agreed on is Veldman has underperformed. I hear a lot of excuses being posted but when it comes down to it you can name any player on the team and I'm sure at some point during the season they had some sort of injury, guys with heart suck it up and play through it and don't complain. Every single guy on that team is a student as well as an athelete and there's no doubt there are challenges there but to be a student athlete it's a challenge you accept when you sign that line to accept the universities money to pay for your education. There are a lot of players I'm sure who were frustrated the playcalling this season just as we all were as fans, but they went out and played their asses off to get where they got. If he doesn't want to put the effort in and doesn't want to tough it out then he can ride the bench as far as I'm concerned. There's no doubt he has the size and the talent to be something special in the passing game, but if the coaches can't rely on you in the run game they can't just put you in when they want to throw you the ball or the defense will know exactly what's going on. He needs to add some muscle and show some heart if he wants to play, if not there's plenty of other guys who will step up to the challenge. I have nothing against Veldman and his life choices are his to make and I wish him the best either way, but to hear posts about him complaining about things when we don't see the effort on the field just doesn't sit well with me. If you want the scholarship money and want to play then put in the effort and play, if not then give it up there are thousands of high school players dying to make a D1 football team who would gladly take the scholarship money and will give it everything they have.

So apparently you go to practice and watch this kid. You also go watch him lift weights(or according to you he doesn't) also watch him during summer workouts.

I'm glad your an expert on a kid you've never seen ou side the football field on game day. Do you actually know anything about him and his work ethic?

OH, I forgot He's also is soft because he didn't "suck it up" when he was hurt.

Again an expert about the kids injury...wow....

CAS4127
12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
True enough, but they all came from within the same system and were promoted. I think this is perhaps a bit different than having 3 different GAs from the outside come in with different philosophies.

Ya, you are right to a large extent, but the HC should try to bring in GA's with similar philosophies at least, and likely does for all we know. For example, when Earle promoted, he brought in Hager, and when Hager was promoted, he brought in Ringey, both as DC's and both of whom coached LB's, so there was internal change as well.

Grizzled
12-29-2010, 05:45 PM

And how many have we won since? How about lately, when we where losing coaches every year the last couple of seasons how did that turn out for us? Think that contributed at all to the lack of production on the field? Maybe we should change head coaches more often.

Just sayin....

CAS4127
12-29-2010, 06:23 PM
And how many have we won since? How about lately, when we where losing coaches every year the last couple of seasons how did that turn out for us? Think that contributed at all to the lack of production on the field? Maybe we should change head coaches more often.

Just sayin....

Easy Griz, if you read all of my posts, you will see that my position on this issue has moved more toward center, but I still can't completely buy in to the notion that changing GA's or even position coaches should effect how a player plays. Hell, with a new coach, a player should be motivated to show how good they are and how hard they want to work. If not, then they are not much of a player to begin with.

bisonfan08
12-29-2010, 06:28 PM
So apparently you go to practice and watch this kid. You also go watch him lift weights(or according to you he doesn't) also watch him during summer workouts.

I'm glad your an expert on a kid you've never seen ou side the football field on game day. Do you actually know anything about him and his work ethic?

OH, I forgot He's also is soft because he didn't "suck it up" when he was hurt.

Again an expert about the kids injury...wow....

No I'm not there everyday, but the coaching staff sure is. For a kid who we all saw a ton of potential in and who seems to have the talent to be a playmaker to be this far along in his career and not be a major contributor is puzzling to me. There's a reason he's not on the field every down and a reason the coaching staff isn't involving him more in the offense and I trust in our staff to give the guys to put in the work the best chance to play and it seems like they haven't seen enough to get the guy in the game. Part of this may fall on the OC and the playcalling but there are other reasons guys keep beating him out for playing time. I hope whatever it is he can get through it and get going, like I said I'm not attacking the kid here I as well as everyone else would just like to see him be as effective on the field as we all hoped he could be.

Grizzled
12-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Easy Griz, if you read all of my posts, you will see that my position on this issue has moved more toward center, but I still can't completely buy in to the notion that changing GA's or even position coaches should effect how a player plays. Hell, with a new coach, a player should be motivated to show how good they are and how hard they want to work. If not, then they are not much of a player to begin with.

My bad CAS. I know we can't have full time coaches at every position but have always wondered how much changing coaches every year affects players. I will say though that our GA coaches, and I have met everyone of them are great young men who will have solid coaching careers.

CAS4127
12-29-2010, 08:44 PM
My bad CAS. I know we can't have full time coaches at every position but have always wondered how much changing coaches every year affects players. I will say though that our GA coaches, and I have met everyone of them are great young men who will have solid coaching careers.

That is great to hear, and an unfortunate thing for us/furtunate thing for them in that they have to either move on after a couple of years or get hired here. Many of what one may consider our best GA's have moved way up the food chain, as in Gus Bradley and Todd Wash. They ultimately went to some other schools and coached, came back, and headed up the road. Personally, I think it is a good professional move to be and GA here, go and get some other exposure/experience, and then come back if you want and have the opportunity. It is sort of like inbreeding of dogs if you don't.

Herd
12-30-2010, 06:41 PM
My question . . . why didn't the RFr TE's see the field last year? How does a 6'4 256 lb TE get beat out by a 6'1 232 converted FB for blocking TE playing time? Then I see someone posting that this TE will have a great bison career, how does that add up?

It's the same as the RFr #97. Why are these players that everyone is high on not seeing the field early in their careers?

I hope that *86 and #97 get the chance in 2011, just want to see the team be successful.

bisontwice
12-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Not sure who you are referring too necessarily. But just because BV is high on someone and they come in as the next annointed one doesn't mean that someone else doesn't outperform or outwork them. It still comes down to who makes the plays.

A1pigskin
12-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I noticed midway through the season the TE's were not being used that much.