PDA

View Full Version : Not one AP all-american pick

bisonhp330
12-21-2010, 03:41 AM
I would have thought Gratzek or McNorton would have cracked at least the 3rd team......

http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/fcs/fcs-news-/6-fcs-news-/1456-2010-ap-fcs-all-america-teams

MNLonghorn10
12-21-2010, 04:51 AM
rb class was stacked and gratzek was injured for a few games.

ndsubison1
12-21-2010, 06:42 AM
gratzek and prelvitz were robbed

BisoninNWMN
12-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I think once we start appearing in the playoffs on a consistent basis that All-American picks will come.

Looking at some of those DL picks and seeing some of them play on FCS and ESPN....Gratzek should have been on there, no question.

Bison FB is going to kick-ass for the next few yrs.....:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

BisonNeil
12-21-2010, 04:03 PM
I think once we start appearing in the playoffs on a consistent basis that All-American picks will come.

Probably true, but Pat Paschall was only one of 7 players last year who made every single All American list and he was on a 3-8 team, and he missed one game. Gratzek missed two games, and should have been on it. Prelvitz finished third in punting, average and net, and still didn't make 3rd team. Something smells...

BisoninNWMN
12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Probably true, but Pat Paschall was only one of 7 players last year who made every single All American list and he was on a 3-8 team, and he missed one game. Gratzek missed two games, and should have been on it. Prelvitz finished third in punting, average and net, and still didn't make 3rd team. Something smells...

Yep.

It seems like teams that are consistently making deep playoff runs have a lot of guys make the teams.....ex....App State. Yes, they are good but they seem to have many guys that make the All-Am teams.....are they that good or do the voters pick them because the team does so well??......just sayin'.

Heck, look at the MV all-conference picks......SDSU had 2.5X the # of 1st team picks as the Bison (5 to 2). Sometimes I think that UNI could go 0-8 in the conference and have more picks than the Bison.....

HerdBot
12-21-2010, 05:30 PM

Looking at some of those DL picks and seeing some of them play on FCS and ESPN....Gratzek should have been on there, no question.

Bison FB is going to kick-ass for the next few yrs.....:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Agreed but we have had more NFL players than most Big Sky teams and Missouri Valley teams in recent years. With the added exposure it should get better. Next year look out for a lot of players. Consider this.. guys like Heagle had phenomenal years but didn't become starters until late. Guys like Gratzek and Anderson missed games. I think Boyer got screwed as did DJ. Too bad they don't count playoff stats. Next year there are a lot of guys who could make the list.

X-Factor
12-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Guys/girls, there are a lot of great players out there. I don't necessarily think anyone got "robbed". That is just crazy talk with your green/gold glasses. The bison just happen to have much more of a talent balance than some of the teams that placed players on the AP list. That will change in the next two years.

CAS4127
12-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Being "named" All-American is just that, and there is a bunch of politics involved, just as there is for the All-Conference team. It's nice to be recognized, but it will not get you any auto bid to the NFL nor to any other life successes--just sayin.

Are Gratzek and DJ feeling a little down about not seeing their names? Sure. Will it ultimately effect their lives? No.

Bison"FANatic"
12-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Now don't get me wrong Gratzek was a great D line man. The problem I see is we all were able to see him play and saw how much havoc he caused but it didn't translate to the stats and the voters around the nation look at stats. Gratzek made everybody around him better and that was great. There were many times where he got a huge push and the lb's or ends got the tackle. The guy played like a man among boys but

He was 10th on our team in solo tackles
He was 11 on our team in total tackles
He had six sacks, Boyer led us with 10.
3 forced fumbles
1 safety.

Now don't get me wrong he is a great player but I think stat wise he made the players around him look great and himself stat wise ok. That is what I think hurt him nationally. We all know better though as I would like to clone the guy and have him play for the next 10 years for us as he did a great job at DT.

56BISON73
12-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Stats are huge. Plus if your SID wasnt touting you at every turn nobody is going to hear of you. There are 124 other schools who play FCS. Whos not to say that some of those teams had better players?

CAS4127
12-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Stats are huge. Plus if your SID wasnt touting you at every turn nobody is going to hear of you. There are 124 other schools who play FCS. Whos not to say that some of those teams had better players?

I will not say that some of those teams had better players!:D

NDSUstudent
12-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Stats, Stats, Stats. That is why Gratzek isn't on the list and their isn't enough exposure in the FCS for people to truly know how good of player that he is. Which is why he finished as the runner-up MVFC defensive POY despite missing 2 1/2 conference games, people in MVFC knew how good he was and that the effect he had on games goes way beyond a stat sheet.

imabison
12-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I would have thought Gratzek or McNorton would have cracked at least the 3rd team......

http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/fcs/fcs-news-/6-fcs-news-/1456-2010-ap-fcs-all-america-teams

Look back at the history of the "awards Lists" and I think you will find that NDSU has more success as a "Team" than individuals.

perthbison
12-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Prelvitz finished third in punting, average and net, and still didn't make 3rd team. Something smells...

Just thought I would add that with our offense, the punter was one of our most important players.:D

perthbison
12-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Stats, Stats, Stats. That is why Gratzek isn't on the list and their isn't enough exposure in the FCS for people to truly know how good of player that he is. Which is why he finished as the runner-up MVFC defensive POY despite missing 2 1/2 conference games, people in MVFC knew how good he was and that the effect he had on games goes way beyond a stat sheet.

The NFL scouts will know though.

IzzyFlexion
12-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Just thought I would add that with our offense, the punter was one of our most important players.:D

This is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!
If a drive stalls after 2 or 3 first downs, having to punt isn't nearly as painful as a three and out. (which we saw a lot of)
Prelvitz's punting (distance and minimal return yards) were really the equivalent of an additional first down or two allowing the Bison to reverse the field taking some of the pressure off of the defense.
Prelvitz was, indeed, among the top and most valuable players on the team and it's a shame he isn't getting more national recognition.

MN_BISON
12-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Prelvitz makes first team on Sports Network/FatHead All-American list.
http://www.mvc-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7600&ATCLID=205058624+