PDA

View Full Version : anyone herd of Carson Wentz??

AjaxTheMighty
12-19-2010, 07:43 PM
I just read on some Sue blog about this dude from bismarck getting offered to UND. anyone have info on the kid? I guess SDSU offered too. He then went on to say that UND has top notch recruits on offensive line and WR. I have a tough time believing that. Sounds like Wentz is visiting NDSU this weekend.

CivilBison96
12-19-2010, 08:05 PM
He is a QB for Century HS in Bismarck (seems there was a youtube video of him on the recruiting thread a few pages back). His brother plays baseball for NDSU.

AjaxTheMighty
12-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Is he any good? I can''t see any reason why a recruit (especially from ND) would choose UND over NDSU at this point in time?

jarhead
12-19-2010, 08:27 PM
From what I've seen, susie has a verbal from a 2 star Colorado WR named Casey Young but he's the only WR I can find com-
mited to them. As far as OL go, according to the recruiting sites they were recruiting most of the same guys we were and most
of them have committed to FBS schools, so I don't know who they have verbals from. They seem to be recruiting Cal. pretty hard.

tjbison
12-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Is he any good? I can''t see any reason why a recruit (especially from ND) would choose UND over NDSU at this point in time?

I can, if you have Crazy speed and want to play in the NAIA;)

ndsubison1
12-19-2010, 08:28 PM

I could. UND QB situation = woeful. NDSU QB situation = deep

westnodak93bison
12-19-2010, 09:06 PM
He is pretty solid from my understanding. How many QBs are we gonna have on our roster? We already have Jensen, Mohler, Perez, Thorton and have a verbal in Stanford so that makes it 5.

tjbison
12-19-2010, 09:07 PM
He is pretty solid from my understanding. How many QBs are we gonna have on our roster? We already have Jensen, Mohler, Perez, Thorton and have a verbal in Stanford so that makes it 5.

Doubt we will get another yet, but if he is willing to play another position

DjKyRo
12-19-2010, 09:29 PM
He's been discussed pretty thoroughly on the recruiting threads.

jarhead
12-19-2010, 09:31 PM
After 2 years Dante has kind of been a no-show, Brock and Jose both spent much of last season injured and when they did play, they left some things unanswered. Esley hasn't played a down yet, so we don't know how/if he'll adjust to the college game. This,
hopefully gives Stanford and Wentz a redshirt season to adjust. When they come off their redshirt season, dante will have gradu-
ated and the Brock, Jose, Esley debate should be less murky. By then, one or both should be ready to add to the competition and may the best man win. This year proved we need 3 QBs ready to play without a drop-off. QB and CB (I think Tyrone Braxton played CB for us but was a safety in the NFL if I remember right) are the only two positions I can think of that we haven't had someone get an NFL tryout and it looks like we're finally going in that direction.

homer
12-19-2010, 09:43 PM

UND will definately be young at QB next year. From how this year ended it looks like it will be a freshmen starting next year. The two upperclassmen we have just aren't going to cut it. Anyone coming in is going to have an opportunity to play.

As far as WR's UND has a verbal from Casey Young, which was mentioned earlier and Jameer Jackson out of Osseo. Both are tall, talented WR that the Sioux needed. More than likely our top WR's next year will be a sophmore and a mix of redshirt and true freshmen.

Wentz is a very talented athlete that will be a nice get by whoever signs him.

bisoningrandforks
12-20-2010, 03:47 PM
great post jarhead.....right on the money!!!

bisonmike2
12-20-2010, 05:20 PM

First thing I thought of.

Sung to the tune of Ice Cube's "Good Day"

"Our QB's run deep. So deep. So deep we don't lose no sleep."

HandoEX
12-20-2010, 05:22 PM

That song brings back some memories! lol

How many guys have we brought in that played QB in high school that moved to another position at NDSU. Not saying he couldn't compete as a QB, but athletically, he might make a heck of a WR.

AEBison1998
12-21-2010, 01:38 AM
Stanford could be a WR. He looks fast.
Wentz is big and strong, I bet he could play TE.

*my completely uneducated thoughts...I love message boards... where everyone can be an expert.*

lakesbison
12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Stanford will be a great qb. Watch his film !!

If wentz or anyone is even considering und over ndsu based on football results in last 5 years should be sent straight to PRAIRIE and have head examined.

Notorious
12-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Wentz has a successful brother playing baseball here....and one of his coaches at Centruy was Tim Jacobsen, former Bison CB. The only reason to think he would choose UND is if he thought he could play QB very early...my bet is that he chooses us and comes in as QB...we'll have some good young ones, and over time, one, or two, may move to other positions...

Bison05
12-21-2010, 03:28 PM
There was a Wentz (Devon) that ran for the women's track team a few years ago. She was a sprinter and hurdler and did very well. She was also from Bismarck but went to BHS. Maybe a cousin??

As for quarterbacks playing different positions the player I think of was Mark Bratton out of Stanley, ND. He was a quarterback in high school and played WR for us and had a nice career. He wasn't the size of Wentz either though.

Kermit
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
For anyone who may have missed it, check out this highlight video of Carson Wentz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJxiSmlinpM

Impressive!

As things stand now, the Bison could have six QBs in camp next summer:
Perez-Sr
Mohler-Jr
Jensen-So
Thorton-RFr
Stanford-Fr
Wentz-Fr

Is it even feasible to get six QBs enough work so they can develop? Can one coach handle 6 QBs AND be the OC?

lakesbison
01-03-2011, 03:38 PM
No, and HELL NO.

the only qb's that could move are esley & perez into other positions, and perez might just be too late in his career.

Brock cant play another position
Jose COULD maybe play slot, but highly doubtful he'd be moved.
Stanford is QB only
Wentz is QB only??

coldspot
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
For anyone who may have missed it, check out this highlight video of Carson Wentz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJxiSmlinpM

Impressive!

As things stand now, the Bison could have six QBs in camp next summer:
Perez-Sr
Mohler-Jr
Jensen-So
Thorton-RFr
Stanford-Fr
Wentz-Fr

Is it even feasible to get six QBs enough work so they can develop? Can one coach handle 6 QBs AND be the OC?

I have a feeling there will be some shuffling in the QB area between now and the start of the season next year. wentz and stanford will redshirt next year. perez could be playing WR, thorton could be play DB.

Kermit
01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
No, and HELL NO.

the only qb's that could move are esley & perez into other positions, and perez might just be too late in his career.

Brock cant play another position
Jose COULD maybe play slot, but highly doubtful he'd be moved.
Stanford is QB only
Wentz is QB only??

My GUESS is that Esley will be given a shot at the QB job this spring. He could potentially be a safety or WR if QB doesn't work out, but he could very well turn out to be the best QB on the roster.

I think Wentz could grow into a TE (he is 6'5" 205 now, but he has a big frame). However, he may well have as much raw ability at QB as anyone the Bison have ever had.

Kermit
01-03-2011, 03:46 PM
thorton could be play DB.

People keep saying this over and over, but I wouldn't be so quick to move a kid who just might be the best QB on the roster.

CAS4127
01-03-2011, 03:51 PM
My GUESS is that Esley will be given a shot at the QB job this spring. He could potentially be a safety or WR if QB doesn't work out, but he could very well turn out to be the best QB on the roster.

I think Wentz could grow into a TE (he is 6'5" 205 now, but he has a big frame). However, he may well have as much raw ability at QB as anyone the Bison have ever had.

Let's see here. Wentz and Stanford redshirt, Perez is not and will never be even a good back-up. That leaves us with 3, yes, 3 qbs on the active roster/travel team, and we need exactly that, 3 capable QBs, or are people forgetting that Jensen and Mohler were both hurt in the same game--and we lost.

A "good" QB coach/OC had damn well be capable of coaching/developing 3 QB'S!!!!!:banghead: :banghead:

coldspot
01-03-2011, 03:51 PM
People keep saying this over and over, but I wouldn't be so quick to move a kid who just might be the best QB on the roster.

I was just throwing it out there as an option. I'm having a tough time imagining he wont be a QB this upcoming season. Heck, if he pans out and is the best QB we could see Jensen playing fullback or linebacker. There would be no reason to have 6 QBs on the roster. one of them will be moved around.

Bison Dan
01-03-2011, 03:54 PM

Agree. - One thing I love about Wentz is he's 3 dimensional. He can run the pistol - he can pass well in the pocket - and he throws equally well on the run as in the pocket. Could be a great get.

lakesbison
01-03-2011, 06:13 PM
what would vigen do with a pistol? screw the pistol. West Coast, Open up the Tight Ends and 3-4 WR's set with more SLOT action like Percy Harvin. PUHLEASE!!!

westnodak93bison
01-03-2011, 07:43 PM
WCO is awesome if it is run the right way. Need to give the QB a run and pass play out of the huddle and let them audible at the line. Take off the damn training wheels. Sick of seeing the QB look over at the side line to see which play they can call.

THE HERD
01-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Wentz looks good. Appeared to be the fastest player on the field and can put some nice zip on the ball, plus at 6'5" he could really develop into something special. Also he is very mobile and throws well on the run. Between him, Esley and the AZ kid somebody is gonna emerge as a top flight QB. Although I am not counting out Jensen, he still very young and is gonna get a lot better. Alls I know is NDSU has never had this kind of stable of QB's!

KTF
01-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Wentz looks good. Appeared to be the fastest player on the field and can put some nice zip on the ball, plus at 6'5" he could really develop into something special. Also he is very mobile and throws well on the run. Between him, Esley and the AZ kid somebody is gonna emerge as a top flight QB. Although I am not counting out Jensen, he still very young and is gonna get a lot better. Alls I know is NDSU has never had this kind of stable of QB's!

This has over taken the RB spot for most horses in the stable...

DjKyRo
01-03-2011, 10:29 PM
This has over taken the RB spot for most horses in the stable...

RB might still have it as far as #'s, with DJ, Voigt, Sigers, Ojuri?, Smith, Lang, Crockett?, and the dude from Arizona (I can never remember his name).

KTF
01-03-2011, 10:32 PM
RB might still have it as far as #'s, with DJ, Voigt, Sigers, Ojuri?, Smith, Lang, Crockett?, and the dude from Arizona (I can never remember his name).

True but which stable has more talent? :-)

BadlandsBison
01-03-2011, 10:39 PM
True but which stable has more talent? :-)

Umm...Do you want my head to explode?!

KTF
01-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Umm...Do you want my head to explode?!

nope... great feeling to have as a fan though!

AjaxTheMighty
01-03-2011, 11:10 PM
looking at that Youtube video, Carson really has some nice mechanics. He looks like he is a throw first QB, very tall (can see over the line-unlike Mohler), instincts look sound. I know it's high school, but I really liked what I saw. Although Stanford looks great two. It would be great to get both of these guys in and redshirt them and see what we get! I can't wait for next season already. Thinking about doing something with the snow in my front yard for NDSU!

THEsocalledfan
01-03-2011, 11:27 PM
As excited as I am about all these QB's, but just because I am feeling very negative, let me remind everyone of how many QB's are currently on NDSU's roster (including these verbals) who have been proven to excel at the college game:

Zero

With that said, this is great news, but I will reject the "deep at QB" argument until we have at least one solid starter.....then I can accept it as Jose and Brock have proven they could be solid backups. (Not ruling Brock being a solid starting QB when I say this, but just being realistic.)

silkamilkamonico
01-03-2011, 11:46 PM
West Coast sucks and I'm tired of NDSU's inability to figure out how to be successul with it. Move to the spread, please. JMHO.

Swaghook
01-03-2011, 11:58 PM
West Coast sucks and I'm tired of NDSU's inability to figure out how to be successul with it. Move to the spread, please. JMHO.

I wouldn't mind seeing them mix the WCO and some form of option offense together. Not a big fan of the spread just because it is the new fad.

99Bison
01-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I don't care what offense you run... Just create good game plan and execute the plays.

Take a page outta Boise State thought process for that.

DjKyRo
01-04-2011, 12:03 AM

I've always been curious to see how viable a move to a more pro-style offense would be with the pieces NDSU has. I don't know a whole heck of a lot of the ins and outs of the various systems to the level some here do, so anyone have any insight? With a one-back feature kind of system it seems like our RB stable would benefit from this, and it seems like we've got some WRs that should be able to get over the top of coverages in a year or two along with some strong-arm QBs that, if they can develop, could be very effective throwing the ball downfield (chiefly Jensen).

The chief downside of adopting a pro-style offense would be that it would marginalize the fulback more or less, unless we decide to shift to more of a west-coast set in a short-yardage or goal line situation; normally it might not be a huge deal but FB has been an asset to the Bison in the past and with the woes we've had recently with regarsd to pocket awareness another able blocker in the backfield is an alluring option, IMO.

My biggest frustration has always been that the WCO seems to be a short-yardage offense. No doubt that when an offense clicks it can be very effective, but you need accurate QBs, good "hands" receivers and tough RBs. We've had some explosive running backs the past few years but it feels like the first two have been less prominent, so would a change in offensive scheme, trying to utilize some of the speed we're acquiring at the WR and TE spots, be viable if not completely pointless?

Anyone with a more football-savvy mind than myself have any insight to this sort of situation?

Herd
01-04-2011, 12:52 AM
In watching tape of the 6 QB's on the bison roster, which ones appear to have the best skill-set to run the current bison WCO? (My order for best WCO fit) Not best QB per sa, but best for WCO.

Wentz (skilled on the move, arm will kill you, but feet can too, could make Walker blush in a year or two)
Thornton (great feet, rollout passer for WCO, good runner, winner, will compete with the best of them)
Stanford (accurate, quick release, nice WC fit, needs to put on some lbs and will)
Jensen (big arm, powerful running, best downfield thrower, needs to develop more accuracy for WCO, skill set for more pro-style offense)
Mohler (ball control style, won't beat himself, manage the game, needs to become better thrower, size is a factor)
Perez (powerful runner, momentum player, needs more confidence and experience)

In summary, Jensen has good skills, but not necessarily taylored to WCO (more of a pocket passer). He could be a prolific passer with offense adjustments to a more downfield game and stronger WR play. Lastest 3 recruits are great fits for WCO IMO . . . good work coaching staff. Lots of good options at QB in 2011 and beyond.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
01-04-2011, 01:52 AM
I wouldn't like Esley moving to DB. From what I heard doesn't he have pin point accuracy??? If he does we shouldn't move him

DjKyRo
01-04-2011, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't like Esley moving to DB. From what I heard doesn't he have pin point accuracy??? If he does we shouldn't move him

"Pin-point accuracy" as described the coaches in high school doesn't mean much. coaches always talk their kids up and the level of competition (particularly in ND) between high school and college is fairly significant. Nick Mertens had pin-point accuracy in high school and look how that turned out.

No offense to Mr. Thorton as I feel he'll be a successful college QB, but I wouldn't buy into much until we see him play (whenever that is).

NDSU1980
01-04-2011, 02:26 AM
"Pin-point accuracy" as described the coaches in high school doesn't mean much. coaches always talk their kids up and the level of competition (particularly in ND) between high school and college is fairly significant. Nick Mertens had pin-point accuracy in high school and look how that turned out.

Mertens' had "pinpoint accuracy". Problem was, his accuracy involved throwing it right into the arms of a defender.

TheDoctor
01-04-2011, 03:20 AM
I can't believe we aren't talking about this kid. I know we just took a quarterback from Bismarck last year, but Carson Wentz (brother of baseball's Zach Wentz) is a beast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJxiSmlinpM

WOW! Our coaches moved quick and smooth. I brought him up on 11/18 and he verbals today! Congrats to Carson, the coaches, and Zach. ;)

NDSUmulligan
01-04-2011, 03:28 AM
Wow, I am very impressed with Carson Wentz. I think he is a great prospect, and hopefully he fills and exceeds expectations. I love the fact that he is 6'5" 205 coming out of high school with room to add strength in muscle. This is the size of QB we need to be recruiting! Big bodied guys like Jensen, Thorton, Wentz are a must (especially in the MVFC).

Wentz looks he can do it all, he's very versatile. Appears to be accurate, can throw the long ball, hit a quick slant, puts nice touch on the ball. I'm not an expert on this, but his mechanics appear to be pretty solid. Doesn't have a terribly slow release or anything. This will only get better with college coaching as well.

One thing from the highlight video really stood out to me: his ability to throw on the run. Very impressive accuracy and touch from outside of the pocket and on the run. This is a huge asset in our offense, as we have a lot of qb rollouts and such. He is also clearly very mobile and athletic, and will be able to scramble and make plays with his legs. I can't say enough about the touch on his throws off the run.

On a personal note, being a native of western ND, it always makes me smile when we sign a good kid native to the state. Now I'm not one of those guys that thinks we need all ND kids, that's just insane- but if there is a kid in state with the ability to be a quality player at this level, it is great to get him. Especially kids like Thorton and Wentz who play a highly visible position such as quarterback. If either of them blossom into highly successful players, there will be that much NDSU exposure in Bismarck and western ND, which is needed.

P.S. Watching Stanford-Virginia Tech as I write this...Andrew Luck. WOW! Man is that guy good!

GradBison
01-04-2011, 03:32 AM
Very happy with this commitment, welcome to NDSU Carson! :nod:

4mcruenomore
01-04-2011, 04:16 AM
awesome! good verbal

ndsubison1
01-04-2011, 04:55 AM
IMO the commits of Wentz and Stanford are the focus of the future and Perez and Mohler are all but out of the picture. We will have some heavy competition heading into spring and fall camp. Wentz and Stanford will no doubt redshirt but they will factor into the competition in spring of 2012. This year it's between Jensen and Thorton IMHO, with Jensen having the early edge. In two seasons, it will be between those two and Wentz and Stanford if nobody establishes themselves next season. Perez and even Mohler are out of the equation IMHO.

ndsubison1
01-04-2011, 06:00 AM
“I feel like a national championship is a reasonable goal,” he said. “I felt that way more than any other program.”

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/303798/group/Sports/

BisoninNWMN
01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
IMO the commits of Wentz and Stanford are the focus of the future and Perez and Mohler are all but out of the picture. We will have some heavy competition heading into spring and fall camp. Wentz and Stanford will no doubt redshirt but they will factor into the competition in spring of 2012. This year it's between Jensen and Thorton IMHO, with Jensen having the early edge. In two seasons, it will be between those two and Wentz and Stanford if nobody establishes themselves next season. Perez and even Mohler are out of the equation IMHO.

Agreed 100%.

Jensen and Thorton will be 1-2 next year. Wentz and Stanford will redshirt and will compete in 12.

2 very good QBs coming in.....kudos to the coaches!

GO BISON

Bison bison
08-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Whatever happened to this guy?

tjbison
08-02-2015, 07:19 PM

this one cracks me up

BisonFan02
08-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Wentz has a successful brother playing baseball here....and one of his coaches at Centruy was Tim Jacobsen, former Bison CB. The only reason to think he would choose UND is if he thought he could play QB very early...my bet is that he chooses us and comes in as QB...we'll have some good young ones, and over time, one, or two, may move to other positions...

RIP Notorious....and he was right!

bisonmike2
08-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Damn, I was and still am a stud. Weird Al wishes he had my song writing skillz.

KINGRANCH
08-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Wow! After reading this thread there are some posters on this board that should walk away from the keyboard and NEVER NEVER come back again! Lakes bison has the football mind of a male Olympic figure skater and should never be allowed to post his opinion on players or schemes again.

ZHerd
08-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Wow! After reading this thread there are some posters on this board that should walk away from the keyboard and NEVER NEVER come back again! Lakes bison has the football mind of a male Olympic figure skater and should never be allowed to post his opinion on players or schemes again.

Marcus Williams for QB!

HerdBot
08-04-2015, 04:59 PM

When he said no and he'll no, was he referring to us getting Wentz or not moving other players? Foe thr love of god if he is on record as not wanting Jensen and Wentz but thinking Jose and Perez are thr guys...

Bison Loaf
08-04-2015, 05:56 PM

I think Wentz could grow into a TE (he is 6'5" 205 now, but he has a big frame). However, he may well have as much raw ability at QB as anyone the Bison have ever had. Props to Kermit also, who wasn't very far off himself!

MrSnuffleupagus
08-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Who's Carson Wentz?

BisManBison
08-04-2015, 07:24 PM
When he said no and he'll no, was he referring to us getting Wentz or not moving other players? Foe thr love of god if he is on record as not wanting Jensen and Wentz but thinking Jose and Perez are thr guys...

Lakes is an elite football mind.

StL Bison Fan
08-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Who's Carson Wentz?

5953. .

IzzyFlexion
08-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Somebody needs to get that poster to mpls for ESPN Gameday......

scottietohottie
08-11-2015, 01:44 PM
5953. .

Herd he walks on water in the winter.

Bison 4 Life
08-11-2015, 01:55 PM
5953. .

I believe in that Jesus.

StL Bison Fan
08-11-2015, 02:02 PM

Poster is being held in a safe place. It will be present at all games this year.

SoCalBison
08-11-2015, 02:17 PM
I believe in that Ginger Jesus.

I believe this is what you intended to say....

MrSnuffleupagus
08-11-2015, 05:41 PM

If someone wants to attend and make this happen, just shoot me a PM. I still have the original jpeg of it.

StL Bison Fan
08-11-2015, 05:59 PM
If someone wants to attend and make this happen, just shoot me a PM. I still have the original jpeg of it.

Better make it of coldproof paper. If GameDay goes to Mlps, hell would have frozen over first

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-12-2015, 12:42 AM

Don't forget about his man crush on Merten's.

El_Chapo
10-30-2019, 06:03 PM
This thread is awesome... Haha

THEsocalledfan
10-30-2019, 06:33 PM
This thread is awesome... Haha

My favorite was me telling folks we were not deep at QB (which we weren't), but Brock was already playing and Wentz had verbaled..... LOL

JMB
10-30-2019, 07:45 PM
So is Gameday to Minneapolis like an every 4 year pipedream?