PDA

View Full Version : Trayvonn Wright Opinions Wanted

IzzyFlexion
12-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Does it appear as though red-shirting Trayvonn may have been a more favorable decison.
My hunch is yes but what do the rest of you think?
DISCLAIMER: My opinion reflects absolutely no disrespect to Trayvonn, the staff, or the decision.
Through 9 Games
Minutes per game = 18.3
FG % = .471
FT % = .632
Total Rebounds = 48
Rebounds per game = 5.3
Shots blocked = 9
Points per game = 6.9

Yellow
12-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I wanted him to redshirt at the beggining of the season.....then after the SDSU and UND games I was glad he didnt redshirt. Now after last night I was thinking he probably should have redshirted. I keep going back and forth, which isnt too bad since he will have his ups and downs. At least it isnt a positive that he should have redshirted....

HandoEX
12-17-2010, 01:00 PM
No, no, hell no, NO! He is definately way too good to redshirt.

Also, has anyone noticed that Marshall Bjorklund is shooting 72% from the field on the season? :eek:

NDSU_grad
12-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I haven't seen a basketball game yet this season but looking at his stats 7 and 5 1/3 of the way into his true freshman year is pretty dang good. Hard to justify redshirting him with those numbers IMO.

Burnt_Secondary
12-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Since Aaberg is out absolutly not. I was in the camp for him to redshirt but we would really be short a big without him. He is a freshman, there will be some ups and downs but I'm happy with what he's given. He's really helping the team.

Also, we might not have won in South Dakota without him.

bisonfan08
12-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Since Aaberg is out absolutly not. I was in the camp for him to redshirt but we would really be short a big without him. He is a freshman, there will be some ups and downs but I'm happy with what he's given. He's really helping the team.

Also, we might not have won in South Dakota without him.

^^^^THIS^^^ He is a freshman, obviously he's going to be a little inconsistent, make some mistakes and look lost here and there. That being said he's too valuable to be sitting on the bench out of uniform, he's helping us win this season. He looked like a man among boys at SDSU and you have to remember he still has almost 3 months to grow until we really need him come tournament time. I think Saul had it right to play him right away, redshirting him would not have been fair to Tveidt and Coleman, it basically would have said we aren't going to do all we can to win right now, we are more concerned about our future. Saul is a winner and wants to win now.

Bison bison
12-17-2010, 02:11 PM
I like watching Trayvonn play.

He's young and raw.

Gully
12-17-2010, 02:17 PM
^^^^THIS^^^ He is a freshman, obviously he's going to be a little inconsistent, make some mistakes and look lost here and there. That being said he's too valuable to be sitting on the bench out of uniform, he's helping us win this season. He looked like a man among boys at SDSU and you have to remember he still has almost 3 months to grow until we really need him come tournament time. I think Saul had it right to play him right away, redshirting him would not have been fair to Tveidt and Coleman, it basically would have said we aren't going to do all we can to win right now, we are more concerned about our future. Saul is a winner and wants to win now.

You hit the nail squarely on the head. He will have his ups and downs but throughout this year he will provide many "wow" moments and make some big plays.

tjbison
12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not gonna second guess playing a true freshman anymore, look at our FB program no way we were a Playoff team without our true Freshman. If they have the skills to contribute right away and the coaches feel they can help win play them.

Kermit
12-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Does it appear as though red-shirting Trayvonn may have been a more favorable decison.

We have a highly competent coaching staff. They do not make these decisions casually, and I trust them.

TrayVonn can help the team win NOW--and he is already doing that. His length and athleticism are in the WOW category. He can do some things that nobody else on the team can do as well. He wanted to play. His teammates greatly respect his ability and they wanted him to play, too. Yes, he will have some ups and downs, but I think the right decision was made.

On top of all that, he sure makes the team more fun to watch for the fans! :nod:

unbison
12-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm not gonna second guess playing a true freshman anymore, look at our FB program no way we were a Playoff team without our true Freshman. If they have the skills to contribute right away and the coaches feel they can help win play them.

I wish all the pro redshirt guys would agree........if we would just blanket redshirt people like some want our football team woulda been 3-8 imo

HandoEX
12-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I wish all the pro redshirt guys would agree........if we would just blanket redshirt people like some want our football team woulda been 3-8 imo

We would have had Ramon Humber as a fifth year senior last year if he would have redshirted. He would have been our best defensive player last year, at our position of greatest need. I'm not agreeing with redshirting everyone, but it works both ways.

CAS4127
12-17-2010, 03:56 PM
We would have had Ramon Humber as a fifth year senior last year if he would have redshirted. He would have been our best defensive player last year, at our position of greatest need. I'm not agreeing with redshirting everyone, but it works both ways.

You are spot on Hando. Playing true freshmen can and does help when you need them to be a winner, but can create "gaps" in the cupboard so to speak. We will see whether that is the case with the FB team in 4 years, when the freshmen who played this year would have otherwise been 5th-year seniors in 4 years. Hopefully we fill the potential "gaps" with our recruiting this year in FB.

bisonhusker
12-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Tray may have won the SDSU game for us. They had no answer. 15 and 15 with a batch of blocks. The kids has game for days. Glad he is playing. 7 and 5 as a freshman is remarkable.

unbison
12-17-2010, 04:24 PM

I am guessing ramon enjoyed the NFL that year!

tjbison
12-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I am guessing ramon enjoyed the NFL that year!

Plus he alone wasn't gonna turn Breske's D around. We have several top players that did redshirt last year from that class so I think we are good.

SamsRams
12-17-2010, 10:54 PM
DISCLAIMER: My opinion reflects absolutely no disrespect to Trayvonn, the staff, or the decision.
Through 9 Games
Minutes per game = 18.3
FG % = .471
FT % = .632
Total Rebounds = 48
Rebounds per game = 5.3
Shots blocked = 9
Points per game = 6.9

18 minutes per game makes this a simple answer. All the other stats will come, but if he was redshirted then you are adding 18 minutes to the rest of the team and I dont see where that benefits the Bison in the long run.

ndsubison1
12-17-2010, 11:33 PM

and jemison would not have started. :hide: jemison benefited greatly from playing last season

bendixson
12-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Every time he is on the court you know something amazing might happen whether its a huge dunk or a blocked shot, but if this guy is really as good as he was hyped and as good as ESPN.com rated him then maybe he should have been red shirted to give him some time to develop because he sure isn't there yet and could have used an extra year. Its hard to red shirt him with Aaberg on the bench tho.

Twentysix
12-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Normally im a fan of redshirting, an older player is pretty much always better than an 18 year old, (except 1 and dones but were ALONG way from that happening lol)

In the instance of trayvonn with current situations, they COULD NOT have red shirted him.

DjKyRo
12-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Someone else posted that Tray more or less was the difference in the SDSU game - if a freshman can come in and win games for us right now, you play him. Mike Felt was the same way last year, his deep shot was awesome against IUPUI but with the return of Freddy it's been tough to get him minutes. I think our recruiting is getting to the point where we might not have to worry about what kind of impact these guys could make in a potential 5th year, but in Tray's case the redshirt just couldn't happen. Can't wait to watch him as he continues to develop as a player.

bisonfan08
12-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Someone else posted that Tray more or less was the difference in the SDSU game - if a freshman can come in and win games for us right now, you play him. Mike Felt was the same way last year, his deep shot was awesome against IUPUI but with the return of Freddy it's been tough to get him minutes. I think our recruiting is getting to the point where we might not have to worry about what kind of impact these guys could make in a potential 5th year, but in Tray's case the redshirt just couldn't happen. Can't wait to watch him as he continues to develop as a player.

^^THIS^^ I agree 100% here, Saul is a great recruiter, he's a great guy, a funny guy and a guy player's love to have as a coach, all that in addition to the recruiting weapon on the horizon known as the SHAC means he will continually be able to bring in recruits that are more than capable of filling holes and playing as freshman. As far as I'm concerned a year of playing D1 ball and competing can be even more valuable for a player than a year of redshirting just to add some size. Tray can add size in the off-season, right now his role is to help the team win and to help us win for 4 years. If you look at the talent Saul has brought in just in one year, I'm far from worried about what is coming in the future. You know we are going in the right direction when guys like Felt and Zastrow barely see minutes after being big contributors, even starters at times last year. If guys can play right away and see the floor then there's no reason to redshirt, if a guy is only going to play a few minutes a game then there's no reason wasting a year of eligibility. 18 MPG is sufficient playing time and he's obviously contributing, he's gonna be a star here at NDSU.

Greenie
12-20-2010, 06:32 PM
I have been impressed with Trayvonn in all areas, except shot selection. He needs to learn to work within the offense...shots will come to him if he is patient.