PDA

View Full Version : Coaches

mebisonII
12-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Who on the coaching staff do you think might be looking elsewhere, hoping to step up the ladder at NDSU, or likely to be recruited by other schools?

I would think the 6-5 and 3-8 seasons are still too recent for the head man himself to get too much consideration from any program worth going to. Always coordinators looking to become head coaches and so forth though, so I imagine there will be some turn-over this year, as always.

Roehl comes on board at NDSU next year, right?

SDbison
12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Who on the coaching staff do you think might be looking elsewhere, hoping to step up the ladder at NDSU, or likely to be recruited by other schools?

I would think the 6-5 and 3-8 seasons are still too recent for the head man himself to get too much consideration from any program worth going to. Always coordinators looking to become head coaches and so forth though, so I imagine there will be some turn-over this year, as always.

I hope Vigen leaves......

onbison09
12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I hope Vigen leaves......

On_The_Road's gonna be all over your ass. That would be fun. :nod: :D

THEsocalledfan
12-13-2010, 04:34 PM

For his own success, I hope no. Getting experience outside of NDSU would be best for him. Once he has a solid list of experience, absolutely. (see Gus Bradly....)

SDbison
12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
On_The_Road's gonna be all over your ass. That would be fun. :nod: :D
Not sure who On_The_Road is, but Vigen still has a pathetic 6th grade approach to offense. He will hamstring the offense again next year if we allow him. Curious what a competent O - coordinator could do with the talent on this tea,m

THEsocalledfan
12-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Not sure who On_The_Road is, but Vigen still has a pathetic 6th grade approach to offense. He will hamstring the offense again next year if we allow him. Curious what a competent O - coordinator could do with the talent on this tea,m

After watching a year of this team, I have decided to side with SDbison on this. I used to think Bohl should maybe go with him, but he did something right to get this team playing well in the playoffs. Defense was suppurb (other than the end of the last game....) I think Bohl probably had a hand in that as a defensive mind.

I don't like being too harsh (okay, I admit I'd seen quite enough of a certain former QB at one point), but I have serious concerns on a coordinator that has never worked anywhere else. There is too much you likely do not know, different ways of doing things that he needs to learn. Thus, for his own coaching career good, it would be the right time for him to move on and learn from a new head coach and perhaps he can eventually become a capable coordinator. Yes, I do think he needs to take a step down on the ladder to get his career turned around. He needs to learn more; then I bet he will be a very successful coach.

stevdock
12-13-2010, 05:09 PM
If he left would he ever be welcomed back??

CAS4127
12-13-2010, 05:13 PM

I am in with SoCalled and SD as well--like that is a surprise.

God I am still just pissed about this game--this one will stay with me for a long time.:banghead: :banghead:

HerdBot
12-13-2010, 05:14 PM

I don't think we'll see anyone leave. Bohl has changed his philosophy on coaches. Instead of getting national big shots who will only stick for 1 or 2 years, he's developing long term coaches that have a ton of pride in the team. We can knock Vigen all we want but he cares about the program just as much or more than we do and he's going to get better every year. Same with Hazleton and Fuchs. These guys have Bison Pride.

BadlandsBison
12-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Would he want to come back?

SDbison
12-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't think we'll see anyone leave. Bohl has changed his philosophy on coaches. Instead of getting national big shots who will only stick for 1 or 2 years, he's developing long term coaches that have a ton of pride in the team. We can knock Vigen all we want but he cares about the program just as much or more than we do and he's going to get better every year. Same with Hazleton and Fuchs. These guys have Bison Pride.
Wow, you go with who you know regardless of qualifications? To me this is why America is in decline. The suck ups get promoted, not the best for the job.

mebisonII
12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Roehl comes on board at NDSU next year, right?For his own success, I hope no. Getting experience outside of NDSU would be best for him. Once he has a solid list of experience, absolutely. (see Gus Bradly....)

I must be remembering wrong, then. I thought someone said one of the fairly recent grads was coming back on as a coach, but maybe they were just wishing or something.

THEsocalledfan
12-13-2010, 08:00 PM
I have heard nothing on Roehl....

HerdBot
12-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow, you go with who you know regardless of qualifications? To me this is why America is in decline. The suck ups get promoted, not the best for the job.

Don't get me wrong. Vigen has a lot to work on but he is going to learn from his mistakes and get better. If he doesn't than I'm 100% with you on this.

mebisonII
12-13-2010, 08:12 PM

This is where I had seen it (this post and the two after that):

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?p=430429&highlight=roehl#post430429

I may have misunderstood a joke or wishful thinking, though.

bisonhp330
12-13-2010, 08:19 PM

I have said it before- a great player does not mean they are automatically a great coach- some of you posting to have Roehl or Feeney back simply because they are good PLAYERS- neither have coached at all at this level.......putting them in that position makes no sense- IF vigen is gone why the hell would you replace him with someone else who has no OC experience? other than setting yourself up so you have a scapegoat to bitch about next year. I don't see him leaving- Bohl even made a point to praise Vigen individually after the Montana game...other than attrition- i really dont see any internal changes. The staff turned a 3-8 season to quarterfinals without having someone solid week in and week out at QB.... of course all IMO

bisonmike2
12-13-2010, 08:21 PM
If the worst thing that happens to us this off season is that we keep all of our current coaches, I think I could be okay with that.

mebisonII
12-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I have said it before- a great player does not mean they are automatically a great coach- some of you posting to hoave Roehl or Feeney back simply becaus the are good PLAYERS- neither have coached at all at this level.......putting them in that position makes no sense- IF vigen is gone why the hell would you replace him with someone else who has no OC experience? other than setting yourself up so you have a scapegoat to bitch about next year. I don't see him leaving- Bohl even made a point to praise Vigen individually after the Montana game...other than attrition- i really dont see any internal changes. The staff turned a 3-8 season to quarterfinals without having someone solid week in and week out at QB.... of course all IMO

Again, I never said I thought anyone SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be brought on as coach. I thought that I had read that Roehl was going to be on staff (as I linked to above), but apparently that is not correct, or at least not confirmed. I'd go back and try to take it out, to avoid starting rumors, but it is in too many posts.

The Roehl discussion was totally separate from Vigen. Obviously he wouldn't come here as an OC after just one year as a RB coach (I think?) at Concordia.

mebisonII
12-13-2010, 08:24 PM
The main point of the thread was that there is generally turn-over ever year, and I'm curious if there's anyone on the current staff who is getting a good reputation and might be poached.

bisonhp330
12-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Again, I never said I thought anyone SHOULD or SHOULDN'T be brought on as coach. I thought that I had read that Roehl was going to be on staff (as I linked to above), but apparently that is not correct. I'd go back and try to take it out, to avoid starting rumors, but its in too many posts.

The Roehl discussion was totally separate from Vigen. Obviously he wouldn't come here as an OC after just one year as a RB coach (I think?) at Concordia.

i only quoted yours as the last post about Roehl-should have said that- not because you said he should be OC- there are plenty of others who have him or other players with no experience in the position- and serious about it

56BISON73
12-13-2010, 08:58 PM

Caring and Bison Pride doesnt mean you are a good coach. But he may be a good coach but is over his head in the OC position.

On_the_road
12-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Caring and Bison Pride doesnt mean you are a good coach. But he may be a good coach but is over his head in the OC position.

Or Vigen could be a good coach that is growing in his OC position. If Vigen isn't the right guy for the job, Bohl will replace him. My guess is we will see him back next year. As devoted to this program as he is, I believe he will continue to improve and we will see a better product next year.

TransAmBison
12-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Or Vigen could be a good coach that is growing in his OC position. If Vigen isn't the right guy for the job, Bohl will replace him. My guess is we will see him back next year. As devoted to this program as he is, I believe he will continue to improve and we will see a better product next year.
Will we see you back next year?

CAS4127
12-13-2010, 09:19 PM

If he stays on as OC, this ^ is what I want to see. Just like players, coaches can and do (or should) self-educate themselves, and there are a variety of ways to do that. With the talent we have coming up in the next 2-3 years, the coaching needs to improve along with it, and not just offense. Barring injuries or off-field issues, we have the players to make deep play-off runs for several years to come--we proved that this year--and perhaps some NC's. If that occurs, recruiting power increases, and we are back to North Dakota State University Football my friends.

56BISON73
12-13-2010, 09:19 PM

AN OC is groomed while he is a position coach. Its not "on the job training while being an OC"

CAS4127
12-13-2010, 09:25 PM
AN OC is groomed while he is a position coach. Its not "on the job training while being an OC"

That is a fairly accurate statement PL--but we have what we have right now, and if it stays that way, then we need him to improve. You and I have a mutual friend with whom we can talk about what Vigen does to improve himself in the off season. Let's remember to ask him next Spring.

56BISON73
12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
That is a fairly accurate statement PL--but we have what we have right now, and if it stays that way, then we need him to improve. You and I have a mutual friend with whom we can talk about what Vigen does to improve himself in the off season. Let's remember to ask him next Spring.

10-4 :nod:

lakesbison
12-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok enough of this, Vigen has done WHAT:

what's his experience in D 1 coaching????? Running an Offense?

Brent Vigen begins his 13th season as an assistant coach at North Dakota State. He was named the offensive coordinator in January 2009 after spending the five previous seasons as the passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

SLICK VIC coulda coached Steve Walker as QB coach (2004-2009)

RB coach and TE coach for 1 year (2003)

3 years at GA.

CAS4127
12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Ok enough of this, Vigen has done WHAT:

what's his experience in D 1 coaching????? Running an Offense?

Brent Vigen begins his 13th season as an assistant coach at North Dakota State. He was named the offensive coordinator in January 2009 after spending the five previous seasons as the passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

SLICK VIC coulda coached Steve Walker as QB coach (2004-2009)

RB coach and TE coach for 1 year (2003)

3 years at GA.

Well, if he is back as OC next year, at least he got some serious playoff experience this year--that should help, provided he otherwise has the abilities to be a good OC. Time will tell--as in next year with some very talented players.

On_the_road
12-13-2010, 09:49 PM
Will we see you back next year?

Absolutely you will see me back. (not that you want too. :D ) I am and have been a Bison fan for a very long time. I am a newcomer here and a few of you know that I will defend this entire team. I know that Mr. Vigen made mistakes this year just like Bohl did and Fuchs and Hazelton and...... gee how far do you want to go. You may not like me but I will be back. You won't see me take a negative roll towards our team. You will see me go after people that are unproductively criticizing our team. Will I go after every single one? Not a chance their are too many negative self important people out there. I will pick and choose my fights.

CAS makes great points in this post on coaches as do some of the others. We need to improve in all areas and right now we need a great recruiting season. When we recruit top athletes, coaching becomes a lot easier.

TransAmBison
12-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Absolutely you will see me back. (not that you want too. :D ) I am and have been a Bison fan for a very long time. I am a newcomer here and a few of you know that I will defend this entire team. I know that Mr. Vigen made mistakes this year just like Bohl did and Fuchs and Hazelton and...... gee how far do you want to go. You may not like me but I will be back. You won't see me take a negative roll towards our team. You will see me go after people that are unproductively criticizing our team. Will I go after every single one? Not a chance their are too many negative self important people out there. I will pick and choose my fights.

CAS makes great points in this post on coaches as do some of the others. We need to improve in all areas and right now we need a great recruiting season. When we recruit top athletes, coaching becomes a lot easier.
So, your attacks on posters is productive?

On_the_road
12-13-2010, 10:00 PM
So, your attacks on posters is productive?

At least, I don't attack our team. That IS productive.

onbison09
12-13-2010, 10:02 PM
At least, I don't attack our team. That IS productive.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PS: How do you like my sig addition?

lakesbison
12-13-2010, 10:02 PM
on the road splat "You won't see me take a negative roll towards our team. You will see me go after people that are unproductively criticizing our team. "

well, this is a HERD, we are IN THIS together, WIN and LOSE,

WE WILL complain and bitch when we lose HARD, and we will CELEBRATE and KISS THEIR ASS when we win. (aka, montana state)

THIS IS THE TOUGH LOVE COVENENT (copyright dan cole)

deal with it, else you will have more neg rep than me!

On_the_road
12-13-2010, 10:35 PM

You know the old saying. If the shoe fits.... wear it.

No_Skill
12-13-2010, 10:40 PM

Piss-Ants of Bisonville Unite! :D

HerdBot
12-14-2010, 12:01 AM
on the road splat "You won't see me take a negative roll towards our team. You will see me go after people that are unproductively criticizing our team. "

WE WILL complain and bitch when we lose HARD, and we will CELEBRATE and KISS THEIR ASS when we win. (aka, montana state)

++++ I award you rep points

BISONBRI
12-14-2010, 12:19 AM

These guys have Bison Pride! Tyler Roehl is a prick! We don't need that!

soupcan
12-14-2010, 12:21 AM
What makes any of you think vigen is improving or will improve? Has he not had a chance to show us his abilities? Are you all his close friends or relatives? What is so wrong with firing him and trying someone new who has already proven himself? How fun is going to say at this time next year "shit what a waste of talent, I guess he's not going to get any better, theres always next year".

ndsubison1
12-14-2010, 12:28 AM
vigen should be fired for calling the QB rollout on 3rd and 2. Our running game was starting to establish dominance and we were wearing down their front. All we had to do was give it to Sigers. We faked to him and he had tons of running room in front of him. Plus a FB to block. Thats all we had to do. I just dont get why we went away from our bread and butter.

Bisonguy
12-14-2010, 12:49 AM

AJ Cooper has a little Bison Pride, as well.

Bisonfan1
12-14-2010, 12:54 AM

But, but you started the QB end around 0-3 ?????

perthbison
12-14-2010, 01:04 AM

Afew months I probably wouldn't agree, but I'm starting to see it this way now. Hell, It's Bohls decision so why worry about it.:nod:

DORMIE
12-14-2010, 05:00 AM
Hopefully, next year with another studd QB in the mix, Vigen will a few more options to work with. It seemed that we could never get a rythem or flow going at the QB position as none of our 2 QB's really played consistantly as they would play a game or two and then get hurt. If someone can take charge and stay healthy, Vigen might have something to work with next year.

On_the_road
12-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Hopefully, next year with another studd QB in the mix, Vigen will a few more options to work with. It seemed that we could never get a rythem or flow going at the QB position as none of our 2 QB's really played consistantly as they would play a game or two and then get hurt. If someone can take charge and stay healthy, Vigen might have something to work with next year.

Great point. It sounds like Thornton will give Jensen quite a run in spring ball. We are a young team and we will be better next fall.

WYOBISONMAN
12-14-2010, 12:31 PM

Are you married to the guy?

On_the_road
12-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Are you married to the guy?

LMAO.... no.... LMAO... just like I am not married to you. :D

WYOBISONMAN
12-14-2010, 01:23 PM

I do indeed hope you are right.

TransAmBison
12-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Normally I would think Dormie's synopsis would make sense, but I just don't see it being right this year. I look back to the beginning of the season. Our offense was not clicking at all...all under the same qb. There was the UNI fiasco where our o-line was told to wait to see the d-line move so they knew the ball had been snapped. Great coaching move there. Then we proceeded to run the ball right into the teeth of the defense. No creativity at all. We ran the same power offense through the conference against defenses that we could not wear out. Pounding the ball up the middle will wear a defense out if we get 1st downs and can pile them on. When we get plenty of 3 and outs it does nothing but keep their defenses fresh. It took forever to start using the receiver screen. I don't recall seeing one pump and go.

Vigen did not have a prolific offense to start with, but in my eyes he really failed to use what we had to its potential. I know calling a game is not easy, but Vigen really made me shake my head through most of the season. Vigen also had good calls at times where the offense just didn't execute...so it is not all his fault, but I still would like Bohl to bring in an actual offensive coordinator.

THEsocalledfan
12-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Normally I would think Dormie's synopsis would make sense, but I just don't see it being right this year. I look back to the beginning of the season. Our offense was not clicking at all...all under the same qb. There was the UNI fiasco where our o-line was told to wait to see the d-line move so they knew the ball had been snapped. Great coaching move there. Then we proceeded to run the ball right into the teeth of the defense. No creativity at all. We ran the same power offense through the conference against defenses that we could not wear out. Pounding the ball up the middle will wear a defense out if we get 1st downs and can pile them on. When we get plenty of 3 and outs it does nothing but keep their defenses fresh. It took forever to start using the receiver screen. I don't recall seeing one pump and go.

Vigen did not have a prolific offense to start with, but in my eyes he really failed to use what we had to its potential. I know calling a game is not easy, but Vigen really made me shake my head through most of the season. Vigen also had good calls at times where the offense just didn't execute...so it is not all his fault, but I still would like Bohl to bring in an actual offensive coordinator.

I just added rep points to the evil empire that is TAB. Long live TAB!

TransAmBison
12-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I just added rep points to the evil empire that is TAB. Long live TAB!
Are you saying I am offering roll-back pricing on teh funny?

Bison"FANatic"
12-14-2010, 02:27 PM

+++++++++++++++

steelbison
12-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I have mixed feeling on this. Question is did we see improvement? I think we did with Jensen at QB.

Will we continue to get better? I don't know. What I expect is a more diverse offense. It seems to me we go into a game and we call similar plays for that game. Not all games the same but as an example against Kansas I think we passed to the FB in the flat like 10 times. Then we stopped running that play for the rest of the year!

I loved the screen passes. Should run 5-8 of those per game with people stacking the box. Need more WR screens with man to man on the outside. These are just common sense things any good coach should know.l

Our short yardage success this year was a joke! How many times did we get stopped on 3 and 1..4th and 1.

Is there any reason we don't run QB sneaks? Another baffling issue.

Why didn't we take some deep shots with Warren the last game? He had a lot of man to man coverage?

I did seem some good things, but then I had to watch the MSU game. That looked like we had no clue and that was the biggest game of the year!

Is there any chance he could be promoted to and Asst head coach(they do this in the NFL) and bring in a guy to be OC?

I do like Vigen, I know Bohl loves Vigen so I don't think he's going anywhere.

Would love a guy like Steve Walker to be an assistant coach. He could help with game planning and assist on calling plays on game day.

THEsocalledfan
12-15-2010, 03:56 PM
CASS

I would be interested in hearing your opinion on what the team and coaches did right to turn things around so dramatically after the Morgan State win. I value your opinion as a former player, and hopefully this positivity will aid in your healing process......

TransAmBison
12-15-2010, 04:05 PM
CASS

I would be interested in hearing your opinion on what the team and coaches did right to turn things around so dramatically after the Morgan State win. I value your opinion as a former player, and hopefully this positivity will aid in your healing process......
What about my opinion? Doesn't it matter? Do you not value my insights? What about my healing process? As for CAS, I am not even sure he watched the game. He got his bell rung so many times during his playing days you could sit him in front of a tv with the cooking channel on and he would think he was watching a game. My guess is he watched Iron Chef Saturday and couldn't believe which cook won.

Notorious
12-15-2010, 04:08 PM
What about my opinion? Doesn't it matter? Do you not value my insights? What about my healing process? As for CAS, I am not even sure he watched the game. He got his bell rung so many times during his playing days you could sit him in front of a tv with the cooking channel on and he would think he was watching a game. My guess is he watched Iron Chef Saturday and couldn't believe which cook won.

Was it the one who burned the "chicken stock"?

CAS4127
12-15-2010, 04:24 PM
CASS

If you really analyze what we did in the regular season after Morgan State, I don't think there really was a dramatic turnaround. We were 5-3 after that game in the regular season, so the inconsistency was still there. The games we won were in large part due us just being more talented and physical than our opponents, but recall us getting our asses kicked by WIU in that span and loosing to a very poor MSU squad. Our offense really never changed, as we ran the same plays for the most part and our passing game was not ever consistent. The playoff run was due to us just being way more physical than the teams we played, and we wore them down--think, 4th quarter scoring. Another thing I noticed was that once our coaches figured out the we had teams on their heels, we ran more plays that would get our skill players in space. But, then comes the MSU game, where we did not wear them down and saw nothing from an offensive standpoint. In short, our D kept us in almost all of our games after the MSU game, and our offense eventually wore teams down--there was not much of a change IMO. Finally, in a nutshell, what TAB posted earlier is about spot on.

As for Iron Chef, burning the "chicken stock" should not automatically cause you to lose the event--hey, who hasn't burned chicken stock afterall??

BisonBabe
12-15-2010, 05:09 PM
So if all it takes to be a OC coach is Bison Pride than I know several people who qualify for the position including myself.

When it comes right down to it the decision is Coach Bohl's to make. We can deliberate all we want but it will get us no where.

A note to some of you is that when you piss into the wind you will get wet!!

lakesbison
12-15-2010, 05:25 PM
WE lost 3 games because of OC play.

UNI, MIZZ ST, EWU. OC calls in those were atrocious. hell, add in kansas.

SDbison
12-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Hey Bison coaches.......especially Vigen and Bohl: Need to run these plays more often:
1. Runs off tackle and around end.
2. QB sneak on 3rd and 4th downs with 1 to 2 yards to go.
3. Mid depth passes accross the middle.
4. Short passes to tight end
5. Short passes to tight end
6. Short passes to tight end
7. Short passes to tight end
8. Short passes to tight end
9. Short passes to tight end

THEsocalledfan
12-15-2010, 07:02 PM
What about my opinion? Doesn't it matter? Do you not value my insights? What about my healing process?

How can I trust the opinion of someone who likes to go swimming in water hazards and run heavy equipment late at night?

TransAmBison
12-15-2010, 07:05 PM
How can I trust the opinion of someone who likes to go swimming in water hazards and run heavy late at night?
Me thinks you were a little too quick on the draw there sport...at least that is what she said...:D

THEsocalledfan
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Me thinks you were a little too quick on the draw there sport...at least that is what she said...:D

Fixed it, but what else does TAB run heavy at night (at least back in the day)?

Answers:

1. Booze
2. Women
3. Nigerians
4. Smokes
5. Catfish

Any I missed?

bkit29
12-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Maybe we should get our old recievers coach back. He is looking for a new job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5933005

sambini
12-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Dam its a tough business. Reggie told us that when we out for the USC game. Good luck Reggie you will bounce back.

BisonNeil
12-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Regarding Roehl, I heard he was going to be a GA next year, don't know if that is true or not.

onbison09
12-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Dam its a tough business. Reggie told us that when we out for the USC game. Good luck Reggie you will bounce back.

I'm sure he will. He came to our school to recruit and he was a great guy. Even brought up the Bison.

99Bison
12-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Agreement with tab and cas, and most everyone else on this. Most key issues on o point to the same source unfortunately and its issues 4+ years running :-(, not new to this year.

perthbison
12-20-2010, 04:33 AM
Fixed it, but what else does TAB run heavy at night (at least back in the day)?

Answers:

1. Booze
2. Women
3. Nigerians
4. Smokes
5. Catfish

Any I missed?

The conclusion I draw from this post is that TA knows how to live.:D

TransAmBison
12-20-2010, 11:00 AM
The conclusion I draw from this post is that TA knew how to live.:D
:smh::smh::smh::smh: :D