PDA

View Full Version : Here's how to fix instant replay...

gizmo
12-12-2010, 12:29 PM
The "indisputable evidence to reverse the call on the field" requirement prevents the booth officials from making an unbiased ruling. Remove that requirement and instant replay's main problem is solved.

bisonmike2
12-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I was going to say, have capable and competent people in the reply booth so they can overturn the incorrect call on the field if it has to go to the both.

A1pigskin
12-12-2010, 01:08 PM
IMO the red turf messes with the clarity/detail of what the ball is doing. The ball blended with the red turf too much. For this reason, red turfs should not be allowed. Or no playoff games on red turf.

TateMosersneighbor
12-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I wonder what would happen if they allowed the two coaches to view the play without anyone else and make a decision?

If they can't agree, then we have a dance off.

IndyBison
12-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I wonder what would happen if they allowed the two coaches to view the play without anyone else and make a decision?

If they can't agree, then we have a dance off.

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

I'm a fan in general of instant replay because I think it generally does a good job of getting calls corrected or confirmed. It's not perfect though and has led to many rules becoming way too technical. The best example was the Detroit-Chicago game in week 1. I think most people would agree he caught that ball. But because of how technical the catch/no-catch rule has become to be ruled on in instant replay, the whole concept of "maintaining control through contact with the ground" has become a key part of the rule. Based on that, the officials ruled correctly by rule on that play. The same thing will eventually happen in baseball and the swipe tag when the ball beats the runner by 20 feet and the quick turn at second base will no longer be outs. If you want instant replay you have to take the good with the bad.

onbison09
12-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah but a players being down isn't technical is it? :rolleyes: