PDA

View Full Version : EWU Post Game thoughts

JMB
12-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Might as well start a home for them.

1) !#$%?\%&^$

2) You have to give credit to Eastern Washington for driving the field and putting it in overtime. That showed some real guts on their part.

3) I think we got a little too cute on some of the short yardage plays. On our last drive the little bootleg on 3rd and two when they couldn't stop us. The boot leg thing didn't work all game, that was in my opinion a time to pound it and then pound it again to get the first down.

4) I gotta give this team credit in the post season. They played with heart and they showed us something. We have some weaknesses that need to be improved upon, but this team got somewhere where noone expected them to get.

No_Skill
12-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Next year we need to have a better regular season and get seeded.

Other than that, hell of a season. Great foundation to build on next year.

IL_Bison
12-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Next year we need to have a better regular season and get seeded.

Other than that, hell of a season. Great foundation to build on next year.

I agree whole-heartedly. Much better than anyone expected.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-12-2010, 12:37 AM
A few coaching screw ups by Vigen....

He called a sweep to the right side and pulled Richards. That left their stud DT (don't know his name) totally unblocked. He blew in the backfield and got a huge sack on more than one occasion. Vigen called this same play on the goal-line late in the 4th when we didn't convert. Of course, we scored on the next play on defense, but I can't believe he didn't recongnise this and stop leaving stud DT unblocked. Hell, I could see it happening on the TV.

A play we don't have in the play book. Since everyone in the stadium knows we are going to run, why not try a hand off to DJ up the middle with a pitch back to Jensen and Jensen throws the ball down the middle. Can you imagine how wide open the middle (or the corners on the goal line) would be on a play like that. I guarentee you we run that play at the end (instead of the bootleg) and the TE is wide open in the middle of the end zone. If nothing else the corner will be open at the goal line.

Just my two cents.

Still a great season. Looking forward to next year already. :nod:

HooliganBison
12-12-2010, 12:37 AM
The short yardage call were complete BS. What the hell is Vigen doing. 4th and short hand it off or sneak it, not reverse pivot 2 yards back then try and get momentum going forward again. We ran the ball effectively why go away from it. That bootleg worked once last week and now it is the only play he can call on short yardage situations. They were waiting for it every time which meant they had one less guy keying on McNorton.

Yes the fumble call was a joke and the replay was worse but there was no way we should have been in that position. We had our foot on their throat and we didn't crush it.

Wally
12-12-2010, 12:38 AM
The short yardage call were complete BS. What the hell is Vigen doing. 4th and short hand it off or sneak it, not reverse pivot 2 yards back then try and get momentum going forward again. We ran the ball effectively why go away from it. That bootleg worked once last week and now it is the only play he can call on short yardage situations. They were waiting for it every time which meant they had one less guy keying on McNorton.

Yes the fumble call was a joke and the replay was worse but there was no way we should have been in that position. We had our foot on their throat and we didn't crush it.

He did that same damn thing when we had 3rd and 2 with like 2:30 minutes left as well

coldspot
12-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Maybe next year upgrade the playbook from tecmo bowl to super tecmo bowl

bisonmike2
12-12-2010, 12:50 AM
what a weird game. fun to watch, minus the last play. In the end what cost us the game was the offense's inability to put away the game when they needed to. We didn't get that 3rd and 2 at the end and we allowed them the chance to take it on a drive and tie the game. Our offense needs a new identity. The talent is there but in so many situations the play calling handcuffs its ability. And finally the NCAA needs to get rid of instant replay. They used it 3 times this game and each time the crew fucked it up. Why even bother to review it if you blow completely obvious plays anyway? So fuck you replay officials. Eat shit and die. There now I feel better.

IL_Bison
12-12-2010, 01:00 AM
what a weird game. fun to watch, minus the last play. In the end what cost us the game was the offense's inability to put away the game when they needed to. We didn't get that 3rd and 2 at the end and we allowed them the chance to take it on a drive and tie the game. Our offense needs a new identity. The talent is there but in so many situations the play calling handcuffs its ability. And finally the NCAA needs to get rid of instant replay. They used it 3 times this game and each time the crew fucked it up. Why even bother to review it if you blow completely obvious plays anyway? So fuck you replay officials. Eat shit and die. There now I feel better.

I agree. The fact that the initial blown call made it that more difficult to correct it upon replay is bullshit. It shouldn't matter what the call was on the field...just get it right!!!!

coldspot
12-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Just saw the replay of the fumble on espnews. Are you fucking kidding me? WOW how do you miss that one?

norm4life
12-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Coulda, woulda, shoulda, but didn't. Yes we got hosed on the fumble call. However, good defenses don't give up 90 yd drives at the end of regulation. Play calling has been poor for a while, it just has been masked by not needing to open the playbook in the last 3+ games. At it turns out, there was not enough playbook there. West Coast Offense means balanced attack, short timing routes like slants and outs (and run after catch), screens, and a running game. We got a running game, screens, and that is about it. No intermediate to deep threat. But, what sticks in my mind, is turnovers or lack of offense in the red zone. The interception before the end of the half killed us. 4th and short, got bailed out by the Pick 6.

Bottom line, the team overachieved for the year, defense leading the way. future looks bright, but that doesn't make us feel any better.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Coulda, woulda, shoulda, but didn't. Yes we got hosed on the fumble call. However, good defenses don't give up 90 yd drives at the end of regulation. Play calling has been poor for a while, it just has been masked by not needing to open the playbook in the last 3+ games. At it turns out, there was not enough playbook there. West Coast Offense means balanced attack, short timing routes like slants and outs (and run after catch), screens, and a running game. We got a running game, screens, and that is about it. No intermediate to deep threat. But, what sticks in my mind, is turnovers or lack of offense in the red zone. The interception before the end of the half killed us. 4th and short, got bailed out by the Pick 6.

Bottom line, the team overachieved for the year, defense leading the way. future looks bright, but that doesn't make us feel any better.

^^^^^^This..........

perthbison
12-12-2010, 01:10 AM

Agreed. Still proud of the team. Played with a lot of heart.

bisonhp330
12-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Just saw the replay of the fumble on espnews. Are you fucking kidding me? WOW how do you miss that one?

i was watching it on tv- with DVR- even with the worst angle he was down- the announcers agreed- but hey- we should have never been there- all we needed was 2 first downs and we win...couldnt get them......then stop them from going 93 yds with 2 min left- didnt do that

great season- overcame a lot- and did this all without having a solid qb.......fix that next year- we go 2 steps farther.

GOEWU
12-12-2010, 01:11 AM
My heart hurts for the Bison and their loyal fans. The END was not the way to drop a big game especially after forcing all those turnovers and even managed to knock Jones out of the game and left us with a QB who didn't have a clue. Both teams showed mountains of character/heart/desire and the word quit wasn't part of their vocabulary. A mighty band of Spartans both on the field and in the stands that support them. There was nothing left on the field this day.

bisonhp330
12-12-2010, 01:14 AM
My heart hurts for the Bison and their loyal fans. The END was not the way to drop a big game especially after forcing all those turnovers and even managed to knock Jones out of the game and left us with a QB who didn't have a clue. Both teams showed mountains of character/heart/desire and the word quit wasn't part of their vocabulary. A mighty band of Spartans both on the field and in the stands that support them. There was nothing left on the field this day.

good banter and way to take it with a grain of salt- have a feeling we will meet again- good luck with villanova

i posted it on the other board- but that field is horrible from a TV watching standpoint......at least change up your uniforms to black pants or something

Bisonwinagn
12-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Great effort by the players and they deserved to win. The two QB reverses were clearly terrible calls by Vigen especially when the offense was pounding the ball down their throat. Bohl not giving the players a chance to win by punting on a 4th and 2 at the 30 with two minutes left may have cost us the game. You NEVER punt in that situation especially at the end of the game. This was the most disappointing loss in Bison Football history because they gave the game away and prevented a chance of playing on ESPN probably at home in front of 19K against the defending champs. :ranting:

bisonhp330
12-12-2010, 01:19 AM

i agree with your post except the bold- i think they underachieved last year- with the talent on this team- even with the inexperience- its not really a surprise we went this far- just surprising we made it after the way we looked mid-season. And after i get done licking my wounds - looking ahead does make me feel muuuuuch better.:nod: :nod:

Screamin_Eagle174
12-12-2010, 01:21 AM
To all the respectful fans, this is not for you. Hell of a game, and congrats to the Bison on a great season. To those of you who talked as much shit as I did...

http://www.myuploadedimages.com/images/84490040261403636900.png

EASTERN EAGLES BABY!!! NEVER QUIT!!!!

No_Skill
12-12-2010, 01:22 AM
You gonna post that in every thread?

Hola
12-12-2010, 01:34 AM
What a sinking feeling to begin with, and it is definitely not fun to have a game taken out of the hands of the players. Although not quite the same, the end result kind of felt the same to me as when the Troy Alabama kicker hit that 50+ field goal in the NC game back in the 80's.

So I got to thinking about it, and I realized that I felt that same after this game as I did after that game. Plenty of reason for pride in the accomplishments of the season, but even more enthusiasm in what the future is going to bring for this team.

They really started coming into their own.

Great job by the seniors on this team.

Great job by the everyone on this team.

Extreme amount of enjoyment watching this season unfold. Both good and bad.

scbison91
12-12-2010, 01:36 AM
yea, we won 4 more National championships after that loss in 84!!!

scbison91
12-12-2010, 01:41 AM

We can blame offense for not converting turnover into points or defense not stopping them at the end.. You know what, Eastern Washington could have been up 21 in 1st period if not for a receiver dropping an easy touchdown.. If that happened, we probably would have been out of the game and we wouldn't be talking about all of these would of, should of etc.. We had a great season and got farther than I ever expected. We are young and had some national exposure so we should have a great recruiting year and win it all next year!

ewuranger
12-12-2010, 01:57 AM
Congrats to NDSU on a great season. That was a hell of a game - although I am glad we won, I hate to see any game end like that and I definitely feel for you guys as we've been on the wrong end of more than a few questionable calls.

On the calls, I will say that the PI was definitely warranted - the fumble call, I don't know. I am thinking it was a bad call that the replay crew would have over-turned. But I haven't seen it enough times to really say.

I am proud of our team for not quitting and driving down the field like that at the end of the game, although like I said I could definitely see how you guys would be pissed.

Good luck next season, you guys have a damn solid team.

tony
12-12-2010, 02:02 AM
We can blame offense for not converting turnover into points or defense not stopping them at the end.. You know what, Eastern Washington could have been up 21 in 1st period if not for a receiver dropping an easy touchdown.. If that happened, we probably would have been out of the game and we wouldn't be talking about all of these would of, should of etc.. We had a great season and got farther than I ever expected. We are young and had some national exposure so we should have a great recruiting year and win it all next year!

Yeah, kind of an ugly game but, otoh, EWU's second TD was a gift from the replay booth because that ball hit the turf. They overturned a catch in the App State - Delaware game that was a catch and gave one in this game that was not.

Screamin_Eagle174
12-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Congrats to NDSU on a great season. That was a hell of a game - although I am glad we won, I hate to see any game end like that and I definitely feel for you guys as we've been on the wrong end of more than a few questionable calls.

On the calls, I will say that the PI was definitely warranted - the fumble call, I don't know. I am thinking it was a bad call that the replay crew would have over-turned. But I haven't seen it enough times to really say.

I am proud of our team for not quitting and driving down the field like that at the end of the game, although like I said I could definitely see how you guys would be pissed.

Good luck next season, you guys have a damn solid team.

This. I'm just glad we won.

onbison09
12-12-2010, 02:12 AM

They say anything?

MN_BISON
12-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Yeah, kind of an ugly game but, otoh, EWU's second TD was a gift from the replay booth because that ball hit the turf. They overturned a catch in the App State - Delaware game that was a catch and gave one in this game that was not.

Tony's right, that ball hit the ground, so that's two replayed calls that weren't overturned that should have been. I guess we could bitch about that but at the end of the day NDSU had their chances too and didn't make it happen. Just hurts when you feel like you were robbed by those who are paid to make it an even playing field. I'm very proud of this team, just sad it had to end the way it did. GO BISON! Good luck to EWU the rest of the way.............I guess.

onbison09
12-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Everything I'm thinking has been said and I'm cheering for whoever wins EWU-Nova next week

scbison91
12-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Tony's right, that ball hit the ground, so that's two replayed calls that weren't overturned that should have been. I guess we could bitch about that but at the end of the day NDSU had their chances too and didn't make it happen. Just hurts when you feel like you were robbed by those who are paid to make it an even playing field. I'm very proud of this team, just sad it had to end the way it did. GO BISON! Good luck to EWU the rest of the way.............I guess.

Especially when they have chance to make the correct call through video replay and they still can't get it right!!! That is very very very frustrating...

scbison91
12-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Everything I'm thinking has been said and I'm cheering for whoever wins EWU-Nova next week

I saw Villanova play today and they rolled App state... I personally don't think it is going to be close game especially if Jones can't go for EWU.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
12-12-2010, 02:32 AM
1. Fire Vigen
2. Fire Vigen
3. Fire Vigen

HerdBot
12-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Epic battle between 2 great teams. One of the craziest games I have ever seen. EWU is a he'll it's team and Taiwan Jones is a superstar. We blew so many chances at the end. Didn't like Bohls decision to punt on 4th and 2. Didn't like the Vigen runswith Jensen. The refs? There were 5 calls that pissed me off. Absolute bogus. Too bad we need to talk about the refs instead of a great game.

We are going to be great next year. Very proud of the team.

Even a Sioux ads kicking didn't make me feel better.

onbison09
12-12-2010, 02:45 AM
1. Fire Vigen
2. Fire Vigen
3. Fire Vigen

Hopefully On_The_Road doesn't see that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwM5KpoPPrg

Ross
12-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Even a Sioux ass kicking didn't make me feel better.

Me either. I thought the atmosphere at the BBall game was pretty dead tonight considering there were 10000 people there. I think everyone was feeling it.

IBleedYellow
12-12-2010, 02:47 AM
The Sioux ass kicking didn't make me feel ANY better.

Is it August of 2011 yet?

bisonmike2
12-12-2010, 02:50 AM
The Sioux ass kicking didn't make me feel ANY better.

Is it August of 2011 yet?

I agree. This is going to take a couple days to get over. Can't wait for the QB debate of 2011. Scott Hazelton better not be going anywhere.

THEsocalledfan
12-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Schedule for 2012:

Sat, Sep 03 Lafayette Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Sep 10 TBA Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Sep 17 TBA Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Sep 24 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. TBA

Sat, Oct 01 Illinois State (Homecoming) * Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 08 Southern Illinois * at Carbondale, Ill. TBA

Sat, Oct 15 Missouri State * Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 22 South Dakota State (Dakota Marker) * at Brookings, S.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 29 Northern Iowa (Harvest Bowl) * Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Nov 05 Indiana State * at Terre Haute, Ind. TBA

Sat, Nov 12 Youngstown State * Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Nov 19 Western Illinois * at Macomb, Ill. TBA

Okay, who wants to do predictions?

MN_BISON
12-12-2010, 02:56 AM
Even a Sioux ads kicking didn't make me feel better.

Agreed, this one just took the wind out of the sails for me. Is it signing day yet? GO BISON!

scbison91
12-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Schedule for 2012:

Don't you mean 2011?

THEsocalledfan
12-12-2010, 02:59 AM
Didn't like Bohls decision to punt on 4th and 2.

Man, when your D is playing THAT well, and you are making them go over 90 yards, seemed like a good idea to me at the time. I at first thought about going for it, then figured the punt was the right call. D has to do better than that.

IBleedYellow
12-12-2010, 03:01 AM
Man, when your D is playing THAT well, and you are making them go over 90 yards, seemed like a good idea to me at the time. I at first thought about going for it, then figured the punt was the right call. D has to do better than that.

Our Defense was doing great, until that drive. I have no idea what got into them, but clearly it wasn't what we needed.

THEsocalledfan
12-12-2010, 03:02 AM
Our Defense was doing great, until that drive. I have no idea what got into them, but clearly it wasn't what we needed.

Just say you agree with me as that is what you are saying. I said the punt was the right call as they needed to go 90 yards on our D and I did not think that woudl happen.

Wally
12-12-2010, 03:02 AM

They didn't get any pressure from the front 4 or from a blitz on the qb until they got to the 20-25 yard line.

bisonmike2
12-12-2010, 03:03 AM

Prevent defense. as in it prevented us from winning.

extremerouge
12-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Schedule for 2012:

9-2 I haven't decided the two games we are going to lose yet, but 9-2 sounds good.

IBleedYellow
12-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Just say you agree with me as that is what you are saying. I said the punt was the right call as they needed to go 90 yards on our D and I did not think that woudl happen.

Indeed, you hit the nail on the head. I agree with your first post.

And to go upon what Bisonmike said, the last drive in regulation, it looked like they were playing to just stop them. More aggressive would have helped. I don't ever like watching teams play conservatively to stop the other team from scoring, just trying to give enough effort to stop them. Go hardcore and HIT SOMEBODY and make them know you aren't letting them to that endzone!

Tatanka
12-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Prevent defense. as in it prevented us from winning.
http://limpingtowardsthesunrise.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/bingo-card.gif

Clawman
12-12-2010, 03:06 AM

Did you recall the play in the 1st half where our BEST receiver is in the end zone and the ball goes right through his arms. Score would have been 21-3 but instead we attempt a FG next play and Bison end up at mid field.
It is possible go to back through the entire game and say woulda coulda shoulda but bottom line is you have a really good team that is VERY well coached and it did not work out today.
I would look for NDSU to remain an national power in years to come.
Good Job Bison,
Go Eagles

CarringtonBison
12-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Did you recall the play in the 1st half where our BEST receiver is in the end zone and the ball goes right through his arms. Score would have been 21-3 but instead we attempt a FG next play and Bison end up at mid field.
It is possible go to back through the entire game and say woulda coulda shoulda but bottom line is you have a really good team that is VERY well coached and it did not work out today.
I would look for NDSU to remain an national power in years to come.
Good Job Bison,
Go Eagles

I agree, we can woulda shoulda all night. We came out short today.

Good luck in the rest of the playoffs and show those eastern boys that we know how to play foolsball out west of the 'ssippi

HerdBot
12-12-2010, 03:11 AM

2 yards and we run out the clock.

bisonmike2
12-12-2010, 03:12 AM
2 F**KING yards and we run out the clock.

fixed that for you. :)

Bison bison
12-12-2010, 03:20 AM
2 yards and we run out the clock.

I agree completely.

Punting got us 15 yards. Going for it would have given a very strong chance of ending the game.

bison93
12-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Kicking the shit out of the Sioux in basketball helped.. but still depressed.. Thoughts..

1. I thought Jensen played well enough for us to win.. Some of our offensive plays were to slow developing as 98 was fast in the middle.

2. Siegers.. man what a game...2 blocked fgs, kickoff for a touchdown.

3. Hats off to the seniors they showed leadership throughout the year..

4. Future looks good for Bison Football..:nod:

It's been a helluva ride this year..

extremerouge
12-12-2010, 03:34 AM
Kicking the shit out of the Sioux in basketball helped.. but still depressed.. Thoughts..

1. I thought Jensen played well enough for us to win.. Some of our offensive plays were to slow developing as 98 was fast in the middle.

2. Siegers.. man what a game...2 blocked fgs, kickoff for a touchdown.

3. Hats off to the seniors they showed leadership throughout the year..

4. Future looks good for Bison Football..:nod:

It's been a helluva ride this year..
agreed. Sigers was very fun to watch. The question I have for anyone is who do we have up and coming to replace Gratzek? He has been quite the stalwart all year and will be tough to replace...

NDSUstudent
12-12-2010, 03:38 AM
agreed. Sigers was very fun to watch. The question I have for anyone is who do we have up and coming to replace Gratzek? He has been quite the stalwart all year and will be tough to replace...

Can't replace him, it will take the entire DL stepping up to get the job done with him gone. But you do have to love our young talent, linebacker and the secondary are ridiculously deep.

bisonhp330
12-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Can't replace him, it will take the entire DL stepping up to get the job done with him gone. But you do have to love our young talent, linebacker and the secondary are ridiculously deep.

we will have someone in that spot..but no one can replace the Beast

kab1one
12-12-2010, 03:41 AM
I agree completely.

Punting got us 15 yards. Going for it would have given a very strong chance of ending the game.

What in this game gave you any confidence that they would pick it up on 4th and 2? ON 3rd and 2 they gain any yards. Special teams killed it on that play, netted about 25 yards and had them inside the 10. Remember that drive, EWU picked up 2 forth downs. Either one of those plays seal it.

Bison bison
12-12-2010, 03:45 AM
how the f do you go for it at 4th and goal at the 2 but not go for it for it on 3rd and 2 at the 30?

Bison bison
12-12-2010, 03:47 AM
What in this game gave you any confidence that they would pick it up on 4th and 2?

nothing is a sure thing, but at that part of the field Bill Belicheck and I say go for the first down.